Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the "the Ukrainian war" war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

hatty posted:

The automapping better paint under the door or I’m never using it

If you paint under the doors you are a cop

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sorry for the derail lol, yeah I was just tossing off a dumb joke

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
is prime remastered good? should i buy it?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Samba de Amigo

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
So what does it mean that Nintendo just dropped prime remastered unannounced? What drives the decision to do a sudden drop vs announce a couple months before...do they not have confidence that it would've built hype? So they figured relying on impulse purchases would be better? Someone with marketing smarts, fill me in

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

mcmagic posted:

is prime remastered good? should i buy it?

Yes, and also yes.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

You should buy pretty much everything from yesterday's direct. Well, seeya.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

WHY BONER NOW posted:

So what does it mean that Nintendo just dropped prime remastered unannounced? What drives the decision to do a sudden drop vs announce a couple months before...do they not have confidence that it would've built hype? So they figured relying on impulse purchases would be better? Someone with marketing smarts, fill me in

Samba de Amigo

S.T.A.R.S.
Feb 7, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WHY BONER NOW posted:

It means Nintendo wants us to have fun?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Smoking Crow posted:

Samba de Amigo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

WHY BONER NOW posted:

i don't know what the reasoning behind it is but it definitely isn't that

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Shadow drops are fun as hell, no logic required.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Upsidads posted:

I like the showcase of all the improvements for Pokemon coming

They usually put Pokemon related news in their own directs and release it on Pokemon Day (which for this year is February 27th)

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Amazon says Metroid comes out Feb 13th.

Hope that’s right… I can’t free up anymore space on my switch. My kids digital games take up all of it now.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

For Nintendo it's about making hype for their Directs. There's not that much to be gained from hyping a 20 year old game, same with the Game Boy and GBA emulators. However, you can use them in moves like this to create the image that a Direct is actually about something actually happening right now rather than being just a collection of trailers for things that are months away anyway. The result being that more people tune in next time and watch all the trailers for all the new games they want you to buy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

RillAkBea posted:

For Nintendo it's about making hype for their Directs. There's not that much to be gained from hyping a 20 year old game, same with the Game Boy and GBA emulators. However, you can use them in moves like this to create the image that a Direct is actually about something actually happening right now rather than being just a collection of trailers for things that are months away anyway. The result being that more people tune in next time and watch all the trailers for all the new games they want you to buy.

I mean they did hype a remaster for a 30 year old game that I assume 90% of the audience had never heard of

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

RillAkBea posted:

This makes sense to me. I love the idea that nintendo's just doing it as an act of whimsy (and yeah shadow drops ARE fun as hell) but let's be honest, there's a business reason for doing it

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Its the "oh and one more thing" in marketing

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Is there a way to "beat" Gameboy Tetris? Like a cutscene when you reach a certain amount of points generally regarded as the "best ending"?

Yes. Play mode b and win on speed 9, 5 high.

For mode a, the ending you get is points-based, but I don't know the thresholds. Google says for the nes version of Tetris it was 120000 for the best, but that's apples and oranges. Square apples and oranges.

S.T.A.R.S.
Feb 7, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WHY BONER NOW posted:

This makes sense to me. I love the idea that nintendo's just doing it as an act of whimsy (and yeah shadow drops ARE fun as hell) but let's be honest, there's a business reason for doing it

I believe they've held onto this remaster for a while, and was waiting for a "drought" to release it. Let's face it, there wasn't too much going on in Switch land after Fire Emblem released. This allows them to get some good will and to keep the momentum rolling until the next big release.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I decided to just ask the NYXI folks if they were gonna release a not GC pattern joycon set with the new sticks and actually got a response. They're going to announce a new controller.

my email posted:

Hello,
Thank you for your interest in our products.

We are developing different controller. Please stay tuned to our social media and official website for news, thanks!

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Best regards,
NYXI Support

Apparently sometimes all ya gotta do is ask.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

EvilJoven posted:

I decided to just ask the NYXI folks if they were gonna release a not GC pattern joycon set with the new sticks and actually got a response. They're going to announce a new controller.

Apparently sometimes all ya gotta do is ask.

Oh fug I just remembered I ordered their GC controller (and should get it at the end of the month). Finally Metroid Prime will be perfect.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Re: MP2:

EightFlyingCars posted:

yeah i remember it being a little bit of a drag to sit around in the light bubbles to get your energy back before but that's much less of a problem when you've got twenty neglected discord servers to check on your phone

also i really grew to appreciate how it felt to camp out in those cozy little safe spots for a bit before running back out into the death dimension. it really made the place feel genuinely hostile! it's kind of great!
I'm actually OK with the pacing of the Agon Wastes segment and how it introduces Dark Aether. It's a great tutorial for the light/dark mechanics. My problem is that there's a bunch of bullshit the game makes you do before you get to Agon, including the Hive segment (which you never have to revisit except for a missile expansion or whatever) and the one-way tour around Temple Grounds for, reasons. It also doesn't help that Temple and Agon basically have the same aesthetic. So by the time you get to Agon you think the tutorial is over, not starting. I actually like the way the Echoes demo disc works: ship crashes and boom you're in Agon. It's very to the point. Also it's a demo.

My other complaint with MP2 is that the game basically has you do the exact same sequence of events in all three of its biomes: find keys, take energy from dark controller, find portal, return energy to light controller. Since the two worlds are substantially similar it feels like a lot of inorganic backtracking. MP1 doesn't do this, each biome is distinct with different things to do, and the game is designed around no one area being "the hub" and usually presents with multiple paths for you to get to where you want to go (when backtracking) so you can always change it up, search for items, etc.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

If they've really been sitting on the game for two years as rumored it does seem like a strange choice. It would've made much more sense to time the release with Prime's 20th anniversary back in November and it certainly would've done well as a holiday release. That they shadow dropped it yesterday with a physical release two weeks out (they've certainly been sitting on printed carts for a while but haven't distributed them) makes me think it was a last minute decision to release it now and that they probably intended to release it closer to the release of Prime 4 (which itself is probably being pushed further back).

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Silver Falcon posted:

Yes, and also yes.

nice

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

S.T.A.R.S. posted:

die rereg scum

rox
Sep 7, 2016

lmao

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

just downloaded metroid prime. ive never played it before. looking forward to it. happy gaming gamers

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

GOTTA FUKKEN POST

Also played 1 round of Tetris GB and drat, so good - unsure how you can get very far as there is no infinite spins once it gets to the bottom. That's it. I think I flamed out around level 13?

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 9, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Worms Butthole Guy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

it's german for the rereg scum

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A stealth drop is actually marketing. If it is something you have confidence in (Prime or Hi Do Rush) then the hype of the drop can drive a lot of rapid sales and draw attention to your campaign for other stuff.

You don't want to do it with your biggest releases but it is a fantastic way to drive sales for something mid tier.

Also in this case it pretty much overrode the initial bad PR that Zelda getting a premium cost wpuld have generated.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 9, 2023

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

S.T.A.R.S. posted:

:D

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Augus posted:

*David Hayter voice*
"After end of World War II, world was split into two - East and West.
This marked beginning of era called Cold War."

Burned into my brain forever.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

they're going to remaster the rest of the primes, right?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Probably not.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

it took them about 20 years to do the first one, have patience

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Metroid Prime Remastered was a show of good faith for the series, like Samus Returns was to the future of 2D Metroid, they've got their ducks in a row

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Recently completed a couple of games:

Death's Door is a top down action adventure game where you play as a crow who harvests souls. It has a good sense of humour and fantastic atmosphere. The music is beautiful and the combat is decent. Doesn't outstay its welcome but the end game can gently caress right off.

AI Somnium Files is utterly bizarre. It's a detective game where you dive into people's memories to solve a serial killer case, with multiple branches. It's equal parts gruesome and wacky (was NOT expecting a Rocky reference) and I really enjoyed it. You can't really mess up so you can chill out and enjoy the story, which has some good twists. I love your AI partner, Aiba, and will definitely be getting the sequel. Get it on sale!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
A lot of poo poo in that direct looked good but unfortunately I don't want to directly support the ongoing genocide in Yemen so can't purchase.