Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

dear manager of the century egg factory:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

pasta sauce and ground beef with macaroni layered with kraft singles on top is called johnny marzetti where i come from, and...you don't want it

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

CommonShore posted:

That was not at all my experience of century eggs. The ones we tried were overpoweringly strong in their smell and they tasted of soap. Someone actually came in from the next room and said "holy poo poo what the gently caress is that smell?" when they had no idea what was going on. 3/4 of the people who were going to try them immediately noped out from the stench and the remainder of us took one bite and threw them out.

Maybe they were actually bad?

I just had some for the first time last weekend at a Chinese place and yeah, very mild taste overall and the most weird thing, apart from the looks of course, was the texture.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yeah, century eggs can be bad or poorly-made. That's why I recommend getting them at a restaurant first, cause the cooks should recognize a bad egg and not include it in congee. I've bought several dozen century eggs at grocery stores over the last couple years and I've had 2 or 3 that weren't tasty. That said, some people/groups of people might be more sensitive to the funk of fermentation. I've just had cheeses and other "delicacies" that were way gnarlier and more intense than century eggs.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Shooting Blanks posted:

Lots of good food on that list, and some weird omissions.

Yeah, there is a lot of perfectly edible food on that list.

To me, the worst dishes in the world incorporate one or more aspects of the following (from most to least offensive):
Insects
Blood as a primary ingredient
Raw meat or live seafood
Offal, especially stomach/intestines or brains
Fermentation
Integrating previously "exotic" ingredients into local cuisine/adapting other culture's recipe for the local palate

There are tons of foods that are actually great that fit into these categories. Except insects; gently caress eating bugs.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Anything that creates a slime-like or mucal texture

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Brawnfire posted:

But enough talking about your general presence in an area.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

:smithfrog:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Brawnfire posted:

have a sip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMnsdI0nO7s

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Helios Grime posted:

Maybe they were actually bad?

I just had some for the first time last weekend at a Chinese place and yeah, very mild taste overall and the most weird thing, apart from the looks of course, was the texture.

Yeah in reflection that's quite possible. This was like 17 years ago or something, and since then I've had smaller bits of century egg in other dishes served to me, and it wasn't anywhere near as terrible, but I always just wrote that off as equivalent to the difference between eating a big clove of garlic and having some minced garlic on top of something, or chomping down on a spoonful of salt instead of just sprinkling some on top.

Still not gonna go buy century eggs from the store again.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My century egg experience was of them not tasting like much of anything.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Salted duck eggs on the other hand, now that's some good egg :discourse:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

Except nopales is good af

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

drat, this egg talk got me wanting a tobiko Gunkan or two and a sparkling sake

dog nougat posted:

I found these at the fancy suburban Wegmans one time and tried them. I did not know how to cook them correctly, at all, but muddled through with internet assistance and they were alright. Maybe they're better as a local product?

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 16:47 on Feb 9, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm not big into slime generally but okra rules.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Natto is good

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

steinrokkan posted:

Natto is goo

ftfy

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hmm, yes. Natto is blood.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm not big into slime generally but okra rules.

fried, pickled, go for it. just no slime time.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

dog nougat posted:

Vital in fajitas.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The impression I get with fermentation is that some people just get a taste for the vile taste that to most people gives them a total disgust reaction.

dog nougat posted:

Yeah I'm confused, especially because googling Canadian pizza cake this is basically all I came across. 100% would.

I know it'd basically just be torrents of scalding hot cheese lava and grease the instant you cut into it, and I'm ok with that.

That specific picture I'm pretty sure is a work of fake food photography magic.

But I think the bigger problem than the disgusting mass of melted cheese would be the fact that the crust in the middle just wouldn't be cooked.

Whooping Crabs posted:

gently caress eating bugs.

That depends on your feelings about decapods.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Slimed okra is fine for stew.

In fact I'm going to go ahead and say stew and gravy are slime adjacent. The qualifier to hate is tasteless slime.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
there's only one slime I don't get down with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUqlbjxznZA

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Scarodactyl posted:

Vital in fajitas.

My goal this coming weekend is now to go to one of the local Mexican joints and get me some sorta nopales dish.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I've had duck tea eggs....I don't like tea eggs at all but duck eggs legit every once in a while (duck scrambled eggs is bonkers good).

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
tea eggs are mainly for appearance, even if have been made for millennia

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The worst part is making the duck tea

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

steinrokkan posted:

The worst part is making the duck tea

A proper duck press is expensive. Check Amazon some of them sell for thousands. Lotta money for duck tea.

Calypso
Sep 28, 2001

Grimey Drawer

dog nougat posted:

My goal this coming weekend is now to go to one of the local Mexican joints and get me some sorta nopales dish.

If you feel like venturing into the Quarter, Cunada was a highlight on my last trip there, though it’s been a while.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

https://twitter.com/AggiBogg/status/1623744920509898752?s=19

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Calypso posted:

If you feel like venturing into the Quarter, Cunada was a highlight on my last trip there, though it’s been a while.

I used to work right next door to there. It was pretty solid. It's also mardi-gras time, so I'm trying to avoid the fq insanity

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, that jumped out to me too. I don't know how macaroni with tomato sauce and ground beef could be on a worst list. Maybe it's the name, that sounds potentially terrible. We had it a lot growing up but I never heard that name until a few years ago so it still sounds weird to me.

Depends on how it’s made. My mom used tomato juice instead of sauce and would add like a whispered hearsay of black pepper, and it was the blandest goddamn stuff. It’s not like everything she made was like that either, her meat loaf and hoagies were, as my best friend called them, gangsta

Grand Fromage posted:

Round where I'm from it's called Johnny Marzetti and it fuckin rules, especially if you put just a tiny amount of effort into it and do the Serious Eats version. The basic is so inoffensive though.

You’re originally from NE Ohio, right? Yeah, that’s what we called it too. It comes from a restaurant in Columbus with that name, they claim to have invented it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Brought to you by a very industrious dung beetle

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

Would

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Meh. This is really inoffensive compared to other stuff here.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh, it's fine. The very 1970s food photography just made me laugh.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

My mom has this recipe collection and there are a lot of hilarious photos in it

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

hallo spacedog posted:

"Children's Favorites"

I'm also very confused by their usage of the word "buns"

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Looks like it's a hot dog bun, it's not that unusual :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

hallo spacedog posted:

If it were just text, you could have convinced me that came out of a recipe generator.