Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

these feel like a low effort way to test out a console ui, i doubt they expect it to bring in a new audience

Yeah that's fair. I hope it does mean new games are coming in the future!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Oh wait I did realize one big possible change. The games will likely not come with a way to soft reset the game. If this happens, say goodbye to all the RNG exploits you could pull off in the DS era. Which will especially hurt for 3 since the sea quests were so lucrative to exploit.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
It's a miracle

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
I really, really love the first 3 games and $40 each still seems a bit steep to me

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Endorph posted:

these feel like a low effort way to test out a console ui, i doubt they expect it to bring in a new audience

Yeah feels like an interest check and a technology study to see how to make the series work without two screens.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
They really don't need a technology study to figure out how to get a dungeon crawler to work on one screen, given that there's dozens and dozens of other dungeon crawlers that function on one screen. The whole "how are they gonna get EO to work without dual screens" was mostly a long running joke rather than an actual obstacle.

As for an interest check, they're probably going to get a muted response because holy hell that's an insane price for 3 HD ports. It's the same price as the entire FF Pixel Remaster series if you buy the bundle, and $40 individually is ludicrous.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I'm going to get this regardless but geez 80 bucks is a lot.

At least they seem to have actually remastered the 3D models instead of just doing some lazy upscaling though.

Also minor gripe but I really don't like the font they chose

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Keeping the mechanics of drawing your own map within the game without a touch screen and without it feeling like poo poo is what I mean. There are tons of dungeon crawlers going back to the 80s obviously, but I think the manual map drawing theme is still unique and isn't a trivial challenge. I don't think anything they do will feel as good as the DS games but there are degrees to how good or bad it can feel.

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010
I don't see anything about a physical copy of the collection, which is upsetting because i want a special edition and 80 bucks for the collection would go down a lot easier with like some stickers or something.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

the rat fandom posted:

I don't see anything about a physical copy of the collection, which is upsetting because i want a special edition and 80 bucks for the collection would go down a lot easier with like some stickers or something.

There is a physical edition in Japan, only for the Switch version, if you're up for importing, and also paying for the game twice over. It comes with an official Nintendo stylus for drawing the map in touch-screen mode.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
It honestly makes me hopeful that the next true entry in the series will be (somewhat) around the corner because the "single screen" UI is apparently at a "good enough for release" stage but at the same time, putting it at this price point suggests that they are probably seeking feedback from hardcore dedicated oldheads before unveiling the next game. And at that point I expect the price on the collection to plummet spectacularly to bring in the new audience and build hype.

Like, I'm not saying it feels great to pay a premium to be a beta tester, so I hope I'm way off. Costs of HD-ification were probably just way higher than they were initially planning, maybe. A physical edition with good extras would be a good incentive if recouping costs was the only concern, so maybe Atlus US will announce something soon too.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 9, 2023

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

Rea posted:

There is a physical edition in Japan, only for the Switch version, if you're up for importing, and also paying for the game twice over. It comes with an official Nintendo stylus for drawing the map in touch-screen mode.

Wow that is an incredibly basic looking stylus

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
One of the most baffling things is the DLC portrait packs being segregated by game.

Like why. Why is that a thing. Why can't your ten dollar Joker portrait be used in EO3 or whatever.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
And why Teddie

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Kanos posted:

One of the most baffling things is the DLC portrait packs being segregated by game.

Like why. Why is that a thing. Why can't your ten dollar Joker portrait be used in EO3 or whatever.

Yeah that's idiotic. The best excuse I can come up with is that one of the portraits for each game fits a specific aspect of it best—Ringo and her katana for Ronin (yes this applies to EO2 too but listen that's the best I can think of), Teddie for Beast, and Aigis for Yggdroid.

Even then I can't think of any justification for Joker, Demi-fiend, and Nahobino being locked per-game.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

hatty posted:

And why Teddie

Technically, this isn't the first time he's been in an EO game. Kvasir has a mummified Teddie in his bar as a decoration in EON, presumably because Kvasir is a loving freak.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Rea posted:

Technically, this isn't the first time he's been in an EO game. Kvasir has a mummified Teddie in his bar as a decoration in EON, presumably because Kvasir is a loving freak.
I know I've said this before but the biggest crime of EON was giving us Kvasir instead of Missy :argh:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Might wait for a sale before dipping.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

im v glad for these remasters, but 40 bucks Is pretty steep!

i guess the ideas if u get the whole thing its $40 discounted?? how often do switch atlus games go on sale....

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Seems like kind of a shame that 1 and 2 seem based on the original and not Untold versions, I've barely played them but thought general opinion was that original 1 and 2 didn't hold up well compared to the later games and the revamps they got in Untold.
Might get 3 though I could just get my 3DS out of a drawer if I wanted to play it.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I do hope they're gonna do a bit of class rebalancing, though that might be a pipe dream.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

MarcusSA posted:

gently caress yes this is great for the steam deck.

Oh poo poo oh gently caress the possibilities.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

blizzardvizard posted:

I do hope they're gonna do a bit of class rebalancing, though that might be a pipe dream.

Weren't half the skills in these games broken in one way or another? Assuming that they don't just leave it that way, I wonder how that will affect balance already.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Atlus isnt totally allergic to sales so i look forward to playing these in like a year or two

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
I don't know how likely it is but I hope there's at least one more Atlus sale on the 3DS shop before it closes this year, I still need to get Etrian Odyssey Nexus. I mean I haven't even finished EOU2, EO4 or EO5 yet but now that I know I'll be able to buy a copy of EO3 when the remaster comes out, I have a very strong need to complete the collection.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I’m probably going to bite because these would play perfect on my steam deck but I’m not going to like it! :mad:

I’m just glad the series made the jump to something modern.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 9, 2023

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I just found out the reason the damage cap in EO3 (and parts of EO4's mechanics) is 59630 is because it's wordplay in Japanese.

59630 = ご苦労さん = good job

Neat. That was bugging me for a good while.

fezball posted:

Weren't half the skills in these games broken in one way or another? Assuming that they don't just leave it that way, I wonder how that will affect balance already.

Wyrm/Great Dragon will become nearly impossible to kill if bugfixes happen, as Troubadour's attack buff shielding against the confusion effect is a bug.

There was a stream of the EO HD collection and some things that were noticed.

Classes don't start off with a dagger. They'll come with the appropriate weapon type, like in later EO series titles.

The draw distance is the same as they were in the DS versions, so you'll see tiles materializing out of thin air as you walk. There was fog effect in EO1 and 2 masking this (This isn't in EO3, and doesn't look to be in the HD version either) that's replicated in the HD version it looks like at the very least.

Ronin and Hexer are locked in EO1. Seems the trailer was just messing around with impossible builds.

Auto battle and the confirm prompts to avoid fat fingering to the next turn that were introduced in EO2U are being backported.

Spending multiple SP at once also made it in, as well as being able to check each skill description's level!

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 9, 2023

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Can't wait to buy these on PC later this year when they're on sale because while I like the EO games I do not $40 each or $80 for the collection like them.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh an extremely important note from the livestream. :siren:There is a new Etrian Odyssey game in the works!:siren:

However due to difficulties transitioning from the dual screen platforms to more modern ones, the date on that was pushed back and they'll try for a later release.

Oh and EO3 HD is also getting a new battle track in its 6th Stratum! Can be partially heard here, the hosts are talking over it though.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 9, 2023

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Hopefully EO3 get some balance fixes because half of the classes are terrible

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Araxxor posted:

Oh an extremely important note from the livestream. :siren:There is a new Etrian Odyssey game in the works!:siren:

However due to difficulties transitioning from the dual screen platforms to more modern ones, the date on that was pushed back and they'll try for a 2024 release.

Oh and EO3 HD is also getting a new battle track in its 6th Stratum! Can be partially heard here, the hosts are talking over it though.

awesome, pretty much confirms this was the trial run for getting it on other systems. Missed EO so much, hope they eventually also port the others bit by bit since they're too good to be trapped forever on single systems

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Araxxor posted:

However due to difficulties transitioning from the dual screen platforms to more modern ones, the date on that was pushed back and they'll try for a 2024 release.[/url]

Holy poo poo it's happening

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Araxxor posted:

However due to difficulties transitioning from the dual screen platforms to more modern ones, the date on that was pushed back and they'll try for a 2024 release.

I'll wait. As long as it takes.

Seems they've made a happy medium with the single screen setup of the HD games, I like how it looks, even if the font is loving terrible. Good hopes for the future, I'm glad these niche moderately selling games are still continuing!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The font kind of reminds me of the Final Fantasy pixel remasters also having a terrible font choice. It's like... it's a perfectly fine font for ordinary purposes (probably) but when you stick it in a game it feels out of place and low budget.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The Japanese font seems to fit in more from what I saw? Which would also fit in with the FF remasters having a better JP font. Though I don't really play games in Japanese so I have no idea on what the standards on that are for EO HD.

I'm honestly more interested in what mechanical screw ups get introduced. The codebase for EO1 and 2 was... Something. Abominations frankly, and there were so many bugs and bizarre design decisions in EO1 and 2 that came from those. (EO1's escape rate formula is hilariously bad and useless for one.) Lancarse were the main devs on those, so I dunno if Atlus even has the source code for those.

EO3 I expect to be the more faithful remake code wise, since they likely have the source code for that, and the games ran on the EO3 engine all the way up until Nexus.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The Japanese font seems the same as usual, iirc? Maybe the English font didn't scale up as well in HD.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Araxxor posted:

praise be

Palatino
Nov 30, 2016
Hi, y'all. Been lurking for a while, but this announcement seemed like a good time to jump in.

Clarste posted:

The Japanese font seems the same as usual, iirc? Maybe the English font didn't scale up as well in HD.
I'm pretty sure the DS games use standard DS system fonts for all their text. The one exception was the US release of I, where they valiantly tried making their own font, but it wasn't terribly readable.

For the 3DS games, the Japanese release uses Humming, the same font used in some of the Animal Crossing games. The US releases swapped that for Neuton, which is a free font available through Google Fonts.

The Japanese HD collection is still using Humming for the most part (along with another one I don't know), and the international release is also changing their font.

The main reason why I could see them switching to a different font is because they needed better language support (Neuton is designed mainly for English). I just wish they had chosen something less ugly. Noto Serif is free and designed specifically for supporting a ton of languages, and it wouldn't be too different from Neuton.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Araxxor posted:

Good, good I'll take it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I now just realized that the English and Japanese versions of EO2 differed significantly as the English version fixed several nasty bugs that were in the original Japanese version. A bunch of Ronin skills did not work correctly. All evasion increases were coded as accuracy decreases, and such, which made the Survivalist's Force skill a massive downgrade since your party got their accuracy halved. I believe the Japanese version got an updated version that has the fixes from English. So I wonder which version we'll get. If we somehow get the version 1 of Japanese EO2 ported oh dear that's going to have some hilarious ramifications.

Palatino posted:

I'm pretty sure the DS games use standard DS system fonts for all their text. The one exception was the US release of I, where they valiantly tried making their own font, but it wasn't terribly readable.

Correct. EU and JP EO1 and all versions of EO2 and 3 used the DS system fonts. US EO1 used a custom font which got enough backlash for them to abandon that as Atlus mentioned.