Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Celexi posted:

My parent-in-laws after we told them last year to sell their exurb home while it was worth like a million dollars or something lol instead put it into a fund so we wouldn't see it they die and promptly took several lines of credit on the new re-assed value.

The value is several hundred thousand less now lmao.

I’m curious how that conversation was handled on your end if it ultimately ended up in them disinheriting you lmao

I guess I’m assuming there’s a missing word in that, but maybe there’s not and they just up and died and started taking out lines of credit from beyond the grave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I’m curious how that conversation was handled on your end if it ultimately ended up in them disinheriting you lmao

My in-laws really really dislike me and now my spouse for sticking out with me and if I could guess telling it made them remember that they needed to make sure we got nothing since they are old.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Celexi posted:

My in-laws really really dislike me and now my spouse for sticking out with me and if I could guess telling it made them remember that they needed to make sure we got nothing since they are old.

They sound lovely

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

absolutely disgusting in my zip code and probably yours too

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/interactive/2023/all-cash-buyers-housing-market/

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

"millenials shut out of the housing market again"

The youngest millennials are turning 28 this year and the oldest are turning 42-43, the continuing breathless coverage of millennials as though they're just venturing out into the world is something else.

Just admit that society hosed a whole generation of people approaching middle age.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the dark area is cedar-riverside (61%), which is home to a lot of our east African population. basically omar's home base. mostly impoverished, and a lot of detached homes or duplexes. not surprising people are buying those homes in cash and renting them out

then again other poor areas have only 20% :shrug:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 17:16 on Feb 9, 2023

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

On the east coast, it looks like very rich people buying their own homes and speculators buying in very poor zip codes. Look at Suffolk County NY

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

paywalled, someone do Kansas City please so I can lol

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

is there a way to view this without a subscription

i mean are you guys really paying money for the wapo???

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/bypass-paywalls-clean/

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

i cant make myself leave the google ecosystem ;( my devices talk to each other!! its so convenient

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Celexi posted:

why are you still in contact with them lol

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Ammanas posted:

i cant make myself leave the google ecosystem ;( my devices talk to each other!! its so convenient

bypass paywalls is available on chrome, it's not working for me on this article for some reason though.

https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

actionjackson posted:

the dark area is cedar-riverside (61%), which is home to a lot of our east African population. basically omar's home base. mostly impoverished, and a lot of detached homes or duplexes. not surprising people are buying those homes in cash and renting them out

then again other poor areas have only 20% :shrug:

glancing around at different areas i'm familiar with, it seems like a lot of college areas have a ton more cash buyers, probably to rent out to college kids

It is funny to see the richest area in chicagoland (kenilworth) be pretty low on cash buying , probably since at that level of income they're all friends with each other and can get 0.1% interest mortgages

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Doesn't seem like there's much of a point in paying cash for super expensive homes. You're not competing with struggling buyers anyway and they aren't going to make good rentals, so why bother?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

glancing around at different areas i'm familiar with, it seems like a lot of college areas have a ton more cash buyers, probably to rent out to college kids

The Main U of M campus (east bank and west bank) is that grayed out area on the river. But yes surrounding that there is plenty of student housing rentals. However the zip codes are big enough to cover a lot of non-student housing as well. I live right next to that weird six way intersection just across the river from the dark brown segment. my zip includes a lot of student housing, but a lot of wealthy SFHs as well

Paradoxish posted:

Doesn't seem like there's much of a point in paying cash for super expensive homes. You're not competing with struggling buyers anyway and they aren't going to make good rentals, so why bother?

you avoid high interest rates

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

College towns are also popular places to retire because they're full of amenities and culture that those same retirees have spent decades suppressing everywhere else.

Apr 7, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

College towns are also popular places to retire because they're full of amenities and culture that those same retirees have spent decades suppressing everywhere else.

see also: Ithaca NY and surroundings

My wife's uncle drifted into Ithaca in the late 1970s doing odd construction jobs and got a job at Cornell. Bought a house built in the late 1700s for $11K. Anyway it's worth a half million now.

Nice area but I couldn't afford to live there.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

that's true, though here it's not a college town (like say a rural town with a major university, e.g. Ithaca), it's a university in the middle of a large (3M+) metro area. but the campus is obviously quite walkable, so the surrounding area would be appealing for retirees.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

how do I get around the paywall on mobile

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

how do I get housing

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

how do I get around the paywall on mobile

archive dot ph

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

how do I get housing

Vote!

Apr 7, 2003

how do I get housing

no

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

how do I get housing

choose to make 200k

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

Ammanas posted:

choose to make 200k

also have a partner that does this, if you want to live near Jobs

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

how do I get housing

In Illinois, you can keep housing if you can overpower the current owners. Maybe try there?

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

doesn't israel work that way too

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Minecraft Holmes posted:

also have a partner that does this, if you want to live near Jobs

nah combined 200k gets you a modest to nice home with a plot in almost every metro besides really big ones (LA, bay area, NY, etc), gets you a palace in most places, and a pretty nice condo or apartment in high demand locales.

400k combined means you buy multiple properties and start living the passive income life.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

how do I get housing

Set your sights lower. Sure, housing in a traditional sense may be out of reach, but that doesn’t mean you can’t make wherever you are home, and therefore housing. All you need is a bindle and a can of beans and some stars, my friend. Housing enough for all your needs. Just make sure to stay mobile enough to avoid the sweeps I guess

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Minecraft Holmes posted:

How to get housing in three easy steps:

Birthright
Right to Return
Genocide

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Someone talk me out of Rutland, VT, again. Please:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/87-Library-Ave-Rutland-VT-05701/92021267_zpid/

Twelve rooms! TWELVE! At least one of them is probably livable, based on the pictures.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Move to Appalachia

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Failson posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/87-Library-Ave-Rutland-VT-05701/92021267_zpid/

Twelve rooms! TWELVE! At least one of them is probably livable, based on the pictures.

Rutland is the Appalachia of Vermont so I say go for it

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Failson posted:

do you like heroin

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Failson posted:

your heating bill is going to be expensive

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Failson posted:

Massive visible wall cracks in every single photo only slightly sus

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Minecraft Holmes posted:

Not in Israel, as far as I know, but they seem to think it works that way around Israel.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Failson posted:

this house was built the year before Billy the Kid was shot and killed outside Fort Sumner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Failson posted:

I love the shot of the back of the weird makeshift closet thing (I think?) in the photo of the pink room.