Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I really enjoyed watching Ethan Bear play last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The fact that a significant portion of people still talk about Lindros like he was scum incarnate for not wanting to play for a cold weather, francophone small market team just because the draft said he had too tells you that no, no one is ever going to do it again. If McDavid didn't do it to get out of Edmonton after it looked like he was gonna puke after the draft lottery, no one will. There is a pretty inherent culture of enduring suffering because it's the noble thing to do in hockey/Canadian identity that is unlikely to go away anytime soon.

Bedard will probably angle to play for the Canucks at some point in his career, but it likely won't be until he's in his late 20s at the absolute earliest.

Matt Zerella posted:

I really enjoyed watching Ethan Bear play last night.

He had a bad game but he's been pretty dependable so far. It's a sorry state of affairs, but he's the Canucks second best defenceman.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He was scum for so many better reasons.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Pungry posted:

Has there been any indication that literally any hockey player raised up through Juniors would pull a Lindros anymore? They're all the same robot with no personality that just say "gotta play our game" and believe in the coach/team above all else. There's no way any of them would rebel like a Lindros.

Isn't this exactly what Adam Fox did?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

College Players have the free agency loophole that junior players don't get.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

OldSenileGuy posted:

No I think Adam Fox bit the head off a live chicken and kicked puppies for fun

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

Kind of, but because he was an NCAA draftee he could have just held out and become a free agent like Schultz.

Lindros being fine with just not playing pro hockey if he didn't get his way was unique.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
https://twitter.com/user/status/1623710226066345984

Andersson day to day (full body - scooter)

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Detroit was known for throwing those loving things in the river when they came out, we should get back to that

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If I was a Flames fan I'd do it too.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Didn't the Lindros thing end up being because he hated the Nordiques owner moreso than that he had any problem playing or living in Quebec as well?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Lindros being fine with just not playing pro hockey if he didn't get his way was unique.

I don't think he was. He knew full well how much trouble Nordiques ownership was financially and knew they couldn't let an asset like him re-enter the draft in four years. They'd have to trade him for a significant financial return before too long, which they did. He wanted to go to Toronto which he didn't succeed in doing at the time, but he did force his way out. He also did that in junior too so he didn't have to move to SSM. I don't think there was any realistic expectation that Lindros wouldn't play pro hockey, just that he might have to eventually give up and sign with Quebec who supposedly offered him a 10 year $50m contract which would've made him one of the richest athletes on earth.

Ginette Reno posted:

Didn't the Lindros thing end up being because he hated the Nordiques owner moreso than that he had any problem playing or living in Quebec as well?

He's long said this publicly, but it's certainly not the only reason. His dad was a big influence on his career and at a time of athletes growing in prominence as a brand he wanted Lindros to be the same. It seems silly now, but it wasn't unrealistic to say that an NHL player could've been on a similar level to MJ in terms of endorsements. That wasn't going to happen in Quebec City though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not forever. I meant Fox had the option to just stay in college and then go right into free agency.

Just deciding not to play his first pro year(s) at all hasn't happened again.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

ThinkTank posted:

I don't think he was. He knew full well how much trouble Nordiques ownership was financially and knew they couldn't let an asset like him re-enter the draft in four years. They'd have to trade him for a significant financial return before too long, which they did.

Sounds a lot like the scenario Bedard will be in if he gets drafted by the Coyotes.

Not saying he would. He probably wouldn't. But it's a similar circumstance where he's too valuable both to the Coyotes' skint ownership and to the league as a whole to be allowed to just not play for 4 years. If he refused to sign they'd have to trade him.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Sounds a lot like the scenario Bedard will be in if he gets drafted by the Coyotes.

Bedard is obviously a huge Canucks fan and he's the first big prospect to come out of BC in any sport in a long time, so he's interviewed on local radio constantly. They always half jokingly ask him if he's going to hold out to go to the Canucks, but he's been consistent in saying he's excited to play wherever he ends up. As much as I want him to be different, he's very much in the Howe/Wayne/Sid/McDavid school of "ah shucks it ain't about me" style of hockey superstar. He'll go wherever he's drafted and immediately sign.

Lindros was up front for the year leading up to the draft that he wasn't going to a small market team, and reinforced that when Quebec got 1st overall. He was pretty consistent and allowed them plenty of time to work something out. They just chose not to.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Not saying he would. He probably wouldn't. But it's a similar circumstance where he's too valuable both to the Coyotes' skint ownership and to the league as a whole to be allowed to just not play for 4 years. If he refused to sign they'd have to trade him.

You could the look on Logan Cooley’s face in the last draft when Arizona selected him. Not many people want to play there and you really can’t blame them. He can at least pull the same thing Fox did and threaten to stay in college until he gets traded.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Detroit was known for throwing those loving things in the river when they came out, we should get back to that

Please don’t throw hunks of plastic and battery in rivers.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

my friend, it is not going to move the needle at all when it comes to the Detroit River

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

my friend, it is not going to move the needle at all when it comes to the Detroit River

Is that Mordor?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

No because one can simply walk into Detroit. On the river if necessary.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Meanwhile, who's best with their lottery scratch off ticket picks in Rounds 3 and lower?

https://twitter.com/eliteprospects/status/1623053194346504208?t=zvM5luMb_8Fy5QHAX2Febw&s=19

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Ruff confirms Jack Hughes is week to week. gently caress

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CBJSprague24 posted:

Meanwhile, who's best with their lottery scratch off ticket picks in Rounds 3 and lower?

https://twitter.com/eliteprospects/status/1623053194346504208?t=zvM5luMb_8Fy5QHAX2Febw&s=19

See that 1132 down there at the bottom? That's Chuck Fletcher. Sorry Flyers.

E: That's with Kaprizov having 186 of those games.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

fawning deference posted:

Ruff confirms Jack Hughes is week to week. gently caress

Sucks, hopefully it's not the same thing he hurt last year. Better now than closer to the playoffs with the spot they're in is about the best thing you can say about it.

Hopefully they don't lose another 8 in a row, because they've been playing like poo poo lately even with him.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Completely unrelated to anything, but Eklund popped up on my Google news feed, and it's still hilarious that this guy managed to build a career based off of initially just blogging completely made up stuff.

Like, random hfboards trade rumour board stuff

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
no devil is ever allowed to hit 100 points. it’s in the bible

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

ThinkTank posted:

The fact that a significant portion of people still talk about Lindros like he was scum incarnate for not wanting to play for a cold weather, francophone small market team just because the draft said he had too tells you that no, no one is ever going to do it again. If McDavid didn't do it to get out of Edmonton after it looked like he was gonna puke after the draft lottery, no one will. There is a pretty inherent culture of enduring suffering because it's the noble thing to do in hockey/Canadian identity that is unlikely to go away anytime soon.

The Lindros situation is also so much different than things are now for young and good players. The money on your first couple of contracts is so much more significant now if you're a major player and you hit free agency at like 26 instead of 30 if you play right out of the draft. You have actual negotiating power on your second contract.

It's probably a lot easier to suck it up in those conditions.

Being locked into ownership that you know you're going to hate and that singlehandedly basically got to decide what to pay you until you turned thirty was a bit of a poo poo show.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

T.C. posted:

The Lindros situation is also so much different than things are now for young and good players. The money on your first couple of contracts is so much more significant now if you're a major player and you hit free agency at like 26 instead of 30 if you play right out of the draft. You have actual negotiating power on your second contract.

And yet, young superstars who very easily could simply refuse to even talk about an extension and go sign with whoever they please when they're 26... don't. They invariably just lock themselves into being underpaid for effectively the rest of their careers with whichever team drafted them. The sole sort-of exception is Tavares and even he bridged with the Isles and waited until he was 28 to go get paid in Toronto.

We've talked about it before but a lot of this is just that hockey players with preternatural talent and hockey instincts are often dumb as a bag of hammers off the ice. McDavid is content to stay in Edmonton forever where the Oilers will basically allow him to be the GM's boss. And he is comically bad at it and also dumb enough that he doesn't know he's bad at it and cratering his own chances of ever winning the Cup.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 9, 2023

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Well Makar is out for tonight and the rest of the road trip with a head injury, so I guess the concussion protocol just didn't catch it.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Spring Break My Heart posted:

You know they don't actually rig the lottery right

yes which is why I posted:

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

yeah they've bought themselves like 20-30 years of rigging it by letting Connor go to Edmonton. They gotta use that power.

because I'm hoping they learned their lesson like:

Eric the Mauve posted:

That said there is no way McDavid to the Oilers is compatible with any rigging theory. But it is possible/plausible the league office has finally learned its lesson from that disaster.

they could rig it for the next however many years and just point to "look we let Connor go to Edmonton". that excuse buys them a lot of time. they might have tried this with the Lafrienere/Kakko drafts but forgot that high skill forwards drafted in the first round by us are cursed. although Kakko rules and I love him.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/charlieo_conn/status/1623742155918278665

Surprised? Can't look at YouTube highlights?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s080COHwmv8

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's no way Torts uses the Youtubes.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

There's no way Torts uses the Youtubes.

Doesn’t have any devices on the bench to watch it on anyway.

Anyone saying they didn’t know he was a defensive liability hasn’t ever watched him play.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Torts repeatedly throwing management under the bus this season kinda rules

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Drag his rear end Torts

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1623752191088508928?s=46&t=7DoFPiXwlMhEVMh9ho9kRA

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
YAAAASSSSSSSSSS

god they’d better not ALSO trade for Kane

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

CBJSprague24 posted:

stars drafting mid???? no wa--yeah that's about right for that timespan. Wonder who the GM was

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Powershift posted:

Is that Mordor?

Zug Island lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+