Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Who wants to sleep in a van? I don’t wanna sleep in the truck tent either, but sleeping in a van sounds awful. I’ll be in the tent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I sleep in a big bed with my wife

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

bird with big dick posted:

Yeah I did with her too, say hi for me

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

Race Car beds are cooler

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Because objective numbers are a real nice thing to have when you're going to be spending tens of thousands of dollars.

Track times aren't all that objective, though. They vary based on track, driver, weather, and time of day. They're fun for conversations and bench racing, and as a Honda fanboy, I'm happy to cite that the CTR posts a better Lightning Lap time than the GRC, but it doesn't really mean anything, and as a Honda fanboy, I'd choose the CTR over the GRC regardless of the Lightning Lap times.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

KozmoNaut posted:

The sooner people realize that they actually want a GT, not a sports car, the better.

Alpina > M

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

I would do bad things for an Alpina wagon in green.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

:same:

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

PeterWeller posted:

Track times aren't all that objective, though. They vary based on track, driver, weather, and time of day. They're fun for conversations and bench racing, and as a Honda fanboy, I'm happy to cite that the CTR posts a better Lightning Lap time than the GRC, but it doesn't really mean anything, and as a Honda fanboy, I'd choose the CTR over the GRC regardless of the Lightning Lap times.

I remember how impressive the Cobalt SS's lightning lap times were both times it set FWD records.
Reading this month's issue, its just insane to me how far we have come and the time the CTR pulled off.

I was pretty shocked with the Supra time too. Shame it had shittier tires, I think it could have done better.
and just LOL at Hyundai sending the Elantra and Kona N with bald rear end tires past the wear bars. Never change.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Neither Alpina nor M but I'm trying to settle on a color to wrap my E91 in the next few weeks. It's so hard, there are so many options and any one color can look radically different based on the quality of the photo.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Franco Caution posted:

I remember how impressive the Cobalt SS's lightning lap times were both times it set FWD records.
Reading this month's issue, its just insane to me how far we have come and the time the CTR pulled off.

I was pretty shocked with the Supra time too. Shame it had shittier tires, I think it could have done better.
and just LOL at Hyundai sending the Elantra and Kona N with bald rear end tires past the wear bars. Never change.

That Cobalt SS time is still within a second of a new Mk8 GTI. GM's performance division should also get all the breathless praise that Porsche get. Now I'm mad again about the design and product planning decisions made around the Alpha-platform cars

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

it pisses me off that GM just walked away from evolving what they pulled off with the cobalt. and focused all their performance stuff in almost unobtainable cars for most people cost wise.
If Hyundai can do a Kona N there is no reason Chevy cant be doing a crazy little Trailblazer SS.

I know the Blazer EV SS is going to be quick, but there has been a long time blown opportunity in that they never made a true high HP version of the ICE Blazer.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The Cobalt is what the Cavalier should've been. Not that such is saying a lot, but still.

The Ecotec was a great little engine.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
e: nevermind, don't care

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 9, 2023

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

They could have rolled the Matrix/Vibe into a new Chevy generation and offered Toyota and ecotec power trains, offering a real hot hatch before the Fiesta even got federalized.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think the Cobalt suffers from a poor long term image. I don't know a single owner that was actually happy with the purchase or long term ownership of the car. It's not like they were like horribly unreliable or anything, they just view it as this hateful thing on 4 wheels that they got cheap to get them to their job and were overjoyed to get rid of it and get something nicer when they could.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Sab669 posted:

Neither Alpina nor M but I'm trying to settle on a color to wrap my E91 in the next few weeks. It's so hard, there are so many options and any one color can look radically different based on the quality of the photo.

I wanted to wrap my gray E90 a few years back and constantly went back and forth on getting close to an OEM color like interlagos blue or going a bit more bold with a metallic green or red.

One thing that could help is getting a sample pack and sticking on a few colors you like. It’ll look a little dumb for a couple weeks but who cares. I got the 3M 2080 sampler and put on a few blues and reds. Shame they don’t have a metallic forest green.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

bull3964 posted:

I think the Cobalt suffers from a poor long term image. I don't know a single owner that was actually happy with the purchase or long term ownership of the car. It's not like they were like horribly unreliable or anything, they just view it as this hateful thing on 4 wheels that they got cheap to get them to their job and were overjoyed to get rid of it and get something nicer when they could.

That's how I remember it. The last run of J-bodies really tainted the idea of a GM compact car.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I wanted to wrap my gray E90 a few years back and constantly went back and forth on getting close to an OEM color like interlagos blue or going a bit more bold with a metallic green or red.

One thing that could help is getting a sample pack and sticking on a few colors you like. It’ll look a little dumb for a couple weeks but who cares. I got the 3M 2080 sampler and put on a few blues and reds. Shame they don’t have a metallic forest green.

That's an interesting idea. Gonna pay to get it done so I was hoping they could just get a small sample of each color I like for me to decide upon, but "trying out" a large swatch for a few days might be a good idea.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Alpina is the biggest BMW marketing gimmick and you should feel bad for falling for the scam. Fight me.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

[citation needed]

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
They made cool looking cars in the 80s and 90s but not since then

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I hope the OP meant the Alpine, and not tarted up BMWs

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Russian Bear posted:

Alpina is the biggest BMW marketing gimmick and you should feel bad for falling for the scam. Fight me.

US market Alpinas, yeah, I give you that. Euro... not so much

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

mobby_6kl posted:

I hope the OP meant the Alpine, and not tarted up BMWs

Same

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
GM also had a KILLER car with the Volt, a plug-in hybrid that literally had the highest buyer satisfaction in GM history. They of course stopped making it.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Remulak posted:

GM also had a KILLER car with the Volt, a plug-in hybrid that literally had the highest buyer satisfaction in GM history. They of course stopped making it.

I loving loved my Volt. It’s only sin was making me want a full on EV

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Full Collapse posted:

That's how I remember it. The last run of J-bodies really tainted the idea of a GM compact car.

I thought that was every run of J bodies.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Remulak posted:

it didn't make money and they went all in on EV which is tough to really criticize imo

the mistake was probably not making a voltec equinox but hell there's a pure bev equinox coming out this year at a price point that would make the volt blush. the volt base price was 34 grand in 2019.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Remulak posted:

That was the first GM product I seriously considered buying but they killed it before I needed to replace my car.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
CMV: Electric cars are not the future- hybrid will continue to clap the asscheeks of EVs and ICE engines.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 10, 2024

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

melon cat posted:

clap the asscheeks of EVs and ICE engines.

Is that good or bad

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it didn't make money and they went all in on EV which is tough to really criticize imo
I have no problems criticizing pure EVs, every time I try to game out anything more interesting than my normal work or weekend day the infrastructure isn’t there. I have a house/garage but if I leave the area and go someplace with street parking and no close fast charges it would suck.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Remulak posted:

It's a drat shame GM murdered the ELR with the $75k price tag.

Used ones seem to be holding steady around $30k.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

crackhaed posted:

but I’m not enthusiastic about anything Dodge and even less enthusiastic about anything called “scat pack”

It just verifies that the target market for that car is rapidly sundowning boomers rather than young people who use the internet.

Also that Dodge's marketing department is rapidly sundowning boomers rather than young people who use the internet.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Powershift posted:

It's a drat shame GM murdered the ELR with the $75k price tag.

Used ones seem to be holding steady around $30k.

I saw an ELR driving around the other day and was reminded that drat, that was a sweet little car.

Then I remembered the TV ad they made for it and threw up in my mouth

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Remulak posted:

I have no problems criticizing pure EVs, every time I try to game out anything more interesting than my normal work or weekend day the infrastructure isn’t there. I have a house/garage but if I leave the area and go someplace with street parking and no close fast charges it would suck.

I completely understand that there are use cases where EVs don't work today but most people vastly overstate how often stuff like this occurs. You can park an EV on the street when you go in to town or whatever. And the infrastructure complaints are a chicken and egg problem. It's like complaining that gas isn't readily available in 1903.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
It's an easier problem to solve than gas distribution because we already have electricity everywhere. It seems like mostly a problem of who is going to pay for it and managing billing for the chargers. Hotels and motels have electricity and parking spaces, and level 2 chargers are pretty cheap. Why haven't most hotels added them? Probably because electricity is so cheap it wouldn't make much additional profit.

Hell, most gas stations don't make much on gas. Maybe the problem is that EV drivers don't buy enough cigs and lotto tickets.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

All electricity is not created equal and installing a bunch of high draw chargers may necessitate significant other infrastructure upgrades. It's not quite so simple as "Just add chargers" in most cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I very much doubt most EV drivers ever actually use most of their battery capacity either if they have a home to charge at. You just drive then park and charge and then leave again, charge again. Like I do with my phone.

The couple I know do that exactly, and quickly for them range anxiety wasn't a thing anymore. They own a house and live in a climate where it doesn't freeze too but they aren't alone in their experience.