Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Look I might have posted in the complete wrong thread but I still want an answer, the devs promised me it would lead to unlocking crafting :colbert:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Does covering fire give the Vet toughness or only alies?
I do a lot of 'melee range' shooting with my autogun and getting 10% toughness per headsplat sounds nice.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Mr E posted:

Is there a best strategy to break into adamantine spires? The one I'm looking to break into is in the magma sea so I'll either have to build a floor over to it or dig down from above. I know I can use fortifications to peek in, but is there a best way to dig from above if I don't have access to glass? Just assume I'm gonna lose a dwarf or two?

I asked chatgpt and it said this:

In Dwarf Fortress, breaking into an adamantine spire can be a challenging task, especially if it's located in a magma sea. Here are some tips for both approaches:

Building a floor over to it:

Use a bridge or a drawbridge to cross the magma sea and reach the spire.
Build fortifications around the spire to protect your dwarves from hostile creatures and magma.
Use pickaxes or other mining tools to dig through the adamantine walls.
Digging down from above:

Build fortifications around the spire to protect your dwarves from falling into the magma sea.
Create a staircase leading down to the spire, or dig a tunnel directly towards it.
In either approach, it's advisable to use fortifications to keep your dwarves safe and to take your time, as mining through adamantine walls is a slow process.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://i.imgur.com/nO7fym5.mp4

Solid game

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

ijyt posted:

Yeah I don't understand the concept of nerfing a non-competitive game.

It's to balance the average player experience with the various difficulties, so that a baseline might be expected at certain difficulties with a certain level of performance. Especially now that the game allows you have multiples of the same class. Things that are Too Good(TM) compared to other choices might end up trivializing difficult content and it creates a scenario where people at higher levels might have a worse experience overall.

Obviously there are the balance reasons, too, but if 2 of the three Feat options at a certain tier are balanced just fine, but 1 is an obvious pick above the others, it's probably better to nerf the one than it is to buff the other two if it would mean the class is already otherwise in a good place.

Like the bleed build was interesting an absurdly powerful, and with the nerfs it's interesting and normal powerful. Like obviously 50% damage reduction will end up being a lot less than 75%, but in a class that is built around killing lots of poo poo in melee (conceptually), it's still extremely good when paired with the normal toughness regen of melee kills, not even considering things like Blessings.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The problem comes with nerfing "the one good feat" that was picked largely because it was the one feat in the line that didn't have a major bug with it.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jerkface posted:

Now with zealot, who is going to be in melee often, you had massive DR on toughness which is now 30% worse or passive regen while in a horde. I run the latter because it helps to top off during big scrums so I take less chip damage, and obviously crit zealot was good with the DR. Is getting 3.25% more toughness on kill worth a whole feat? You get 5% back per second (and it ticks a little faster actually) with the crowd one and still having 50% DR is pretty huge.

Feel like as with a lot of feats/blessings the percentages & numbers these guys are playing with is so small. Like maybe it should be 100%, or 125% or something. Maybe 10% back on kill would be too OP. Maybe 8% is actually OP. I dunno though, I still don't think I'd take it since it has such a specific activator (requiring you to actually kill) which will happen but isn't as reliable as just crit or just stand near enemies.

:shrug:

What do ya'll think

I've settled in on the passive regen in a horde, too. If I'm fighting and in my groove, I'm going to be at max toughness because every swing of my hammer is guaranteeing that nothing is hitting me while also killing things. A slight increase to toughness on kills will make no difference. The hammer is too slow for uptime on the crit damage reduction to be reliable. The passive regen is an extra stream of additional survivability that's pretty much on during the most dangerous times. If I'm shoving to try and position myself or charging the hammer for a single target strike on a rager in a mob, it's keeping me topped up. If I'm blocking, I've still got that toughness coming in. If I'm staggered or pulling out a grenade to stun a horde so I can revive a teammate, I've still got that toughness coming in.

I feel like the real dilemma is the level 20 feat. Thy Wrath Be Swift and Holy Revenant are just both so insanely good.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Just ran a heresy mission with pubbies. All 4 of us were Psykers, 3 of us with a Voidstruke staff. It turns out with enough AOE ranged damage and multiple simultaneous brain bursts, you can absolutely breeze through anything the game throws at you. It ruled. Even the assassination target went down in less than a minute, which is not what any of us were expecting.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
Ogryn buffs are really good

The kickback hits like a truck now

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Tagichatn posted:

I asked chatgpt and it said this:

In Dwarf Fortress, breaking into an adamantine spire can be a challenging task, especially if it's located in a magma sea. Here are some tips for both approaches:

Building a floor over to it:

Use a bridge or a drawbridge to cross the magma sea and reach the spire.
Build fortifications around the spire to protect your dwarves from hostile creatures and magma.
Digging down from above:

Build fortifications around the spire to protect your dwarves from falling into the magma sea.
Create a staircase leading down to the spire, or dig a tunnel directly towards it.
In either approach, it's advisable to use fortifications to keep your dwarves safe and to take your time, as mining through adamantine walls is a slow process.

Thank you this is almost accurate.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
It’s infuriating how inconsistent the dodge or block is with mutants and dogs. One time it works great, the next it straight up doesn’t register.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

celewign posted:

It’s infuriating how inconsistent the dodge or block is with mutants and dogs. One time it works great, the next it straight up doesn’t register.

Dogs can't be blocked, but they can be pushed mid-leap to stop the attack. Muties can't be blocked or pushed, as far as I'm aware.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

psyker force sword does surprisingly well vs the boss shield. it seems to get around the damage cap by draining hp instead of taking it off in 1 go

edit: the dog thing comes down to what server youve connected to, i can push dogs or knock them out midair all day if the server is good

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

DarkDobe posted:

Does covering fire give the Vet toughness or only alies?
I do a lot of 'melee range' shooting with my autogun and getting 10% toughness per headsplat sounds nice.

My understanding is that it's only allies.

"Grants Toughness if allies are within 5m of the target."

Edit: looking at this guide (which might be out of date) that feat currently does not function.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2905188402

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 8, 2023

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Has anyone confirmed that Covering Fire is fixed now? It would be extremely Fatshark for them to massively buff something that’s still non-functional

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Tested out the chainaxe on Zealot in Heresy with some goons, it's waaay better now and can be used against hordes and single target well. The moveset changes are really good and it now has a good Push Attack -> Heavy Attack -> repeat combo like the Eviscerator does. Way more viable in hordes and with +Power on Hit and +Power on Kill you can do great damage.

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.

raverrn posted:

Dogs can't be blocked, but they can be pushed mid-leap to stop the attack. Muties can't be blocked or pushed, as far as I'm aware.

I once managed to bonk a mutant with my thunder hammer as it charged and one shot it. Now everytime I get the chance I chase that high and refuse to yield

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Legit Businessman posted:

My understanding is that it's only allies.

"Grants Toughness if allies are within 5m of the target."

Edit: looking at this guide (which might be out of date) that feat currently does not function.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2905188402

Magitek posted:

Has anyone confirmed that Covering Fire is fixed now? It would be extremely Fatshark for them to massively buff something that’s still non-functional

While I haven't tested it allegedly a patch or so ago it was part of the bug fixes, so yes it should function. Also yes, that guide is out of date now.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

There have been 2 major patches designed to address not working feats and stuff since that list was created, it needs to be updated

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
https://clips.twitch.tv/SparklyAgitatedSandstormGrammarKing-EbG3bHs5x9naXs98

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
The absolute mad lads did it.

The Kickback actually feels good to use now. :v:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
gimme a double barrel skin for the kickback. i will always rock a super shotgun

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Edmond Dantes posted:

The absolute mad lads did it.

The Kickback actually feels good to use now. :v:

It always felt good to use. It's just the physical results didn't match up to that.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

mexi posted:

I once managed to bonk a mutant with my thunder hammer as it charged and one shot it. Now everytime I get the chance I chase that high and refuse to yield

Dodge left and swing heavy it works every time.

And yes, kickback good now.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Im glad they buffed the kickback it was really fun to use in the low levels when I was leveling ogryn but quickly became useless. Who doesnt love a gigantic scattergun?

We should be getting communication today or tomorrow on the crafting update...

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
Crafting update is out, eat your weapons to re-bless other weapons with their blessings:
https://www.playdarktide.com/news/deep-dive-into-the-shrine

Also of note:

quote:

We have implemented a cost scaling system that will change the total material costs required depending on the weapons item rating, for all actions at the Shrine of the Omnissiah

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

A lot of good changes there;

quote:

The Emperor’s Gift, which was occasionally received upon successful mission completion, will now be granted upon every mission completion without any limit by time, as was previously the case. In addition, the Emperor’s Gift will be influenced by several factors: The difficulty of the chosen mission and the conditions and side missions completed. Both factors will improve the chances of receiving an item with higher potential.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Hopefully it's coming soonish. Like two-three weeks. These new changes are dope.

Now I can just throw my ducats at a button to roll instead of waiting an hour to maybe get one. And Melkbux miiiiiight be less painful now?

Though this does leave me wondering: are the drop rates for Plasteel gonna be buffed? That's still a hell of a bottleneck afair

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

explosivo posted:

A lot of good changes there;
This is a good change but I question why there was a limit in the first place lol

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Insert name here posted:

This is a good change but I question why there was a limit in the first place lol

Yeah dumb as gently caress but hey, that might actually get me to log back in for a bit.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sounds good def

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

There's good and bad, mostly good, but we would be remiss to completely ignore the bad.

The good:
- Make base-quality weapons of anything you have unlocked. Hopefully not prohibitively expensive
- Emperor's Gift every game, with item quality improved by mission difficulty and modifiers
- Better-quality gear in the hourly store and Melk's
- Melk missions made easier, and give more rewards
- Permanently unlock blessings for crafting by sacrificing the gun, apparently they were considering a much more limited implementation

The bad-or-at-least-worrying:

quote:

How will crafting change from Vermintide to Darktide? In Vermintide crafting was focused around creating, salvaging, and modifying items obtained through reward chests and through the crafting of blueprints. There are some similarities between the two games with the modification options, yet Darktide will carve its own path when it comes to crafting. Instead it is centred around modifying weapons rather than weapon creation, and will have a heavier focus on acquiring exciting items of different potential through many sources in the game.

"Different potential" sounds like a dishonestly positive way of framing stat variance. It makes it sound like your gun with half the possible damage roll is still worthwhile, and simply has "different potential". The gun's potential is different, because it is worse. In practice, I think most guns will have one or two optimal distributions, and the rest are just trash fodder to gum up your drops and make it take longer to get what you actually want. That's fine in a Diablo game where you're getting several drops a minute. Not great here. Receiving an Emperor's Gift after every match is a great change that will help mitigate this, along with finally being able to get grey-quality items from the store, but I would prefer there to not be an arbitrary speed bump requiring any mitigation efforts at all. I am hopeful that it won't feel bad.

quote:

The foundation we set with Modifiers, Perks, and Blessings changes how each weapon can potentially perform. The combination of these offers an exciting array of variety, and we want players to continue acquiring many variations in pursuit of interesting build diversity. This build potential exists today

This theoretical "build diversity" isn't currently present in the game. Most classes still have a "correct" perk choice at each tier, especially in tiers where perks don't work at all, or if you play a class other than veteran that is somehow getting perks nerfed. Diversity is non-zero, but I think they are making it sound like you have wayyyy more leeway for effectiveness than you actually do in picking your weapons and perks.

I'll probably hop in for a few matches but despite the length of the dev post, these changes are fairly small, and are ALL only about items, which are only a portion of the game's problems. Even if we learn that these changes are all that are needed to make itemization feel good, there's still a lot of work to do to bring the game up to v1.0 worthiness, IMO.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

They're gonna be updating on other changes coming as well next week.

The big thing is that all these item/crafting changes are coming *NEXT PATCH* - and getting this poo poo out of the way was key to them being able to start bringing back the other stuff they've backburnered for the time being. Personally this update bangs and it is exactly what was needed.

Would I like it if they didnt have the dumb lock perk/blessing business? Yea, but it sounds like theres actually going to be an identifiable gameplay loop now for getting new gear, so thats great.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

big cummers ONLY posted:

"Different potential" sounds like a dishonestly positive way of framing stat variance. It makes it sound like your gun with half the possible damage roll is still worthwhile, and simply has "different potential". The gun's potential is different, because it is worse. In practice, I think most guns will have one or two optimal distributions, and the rest are just trash fodder to gum up your drops and make it take longer to get what you actually want.
Every game with random gear makes this exact mistake and it's kind of tiring. They make "basic effectiveness as a weapon" a stat and then scoff when we ignore the others.

e: Or they make 5 different stats that all boil down to "it does a bit more damage" said in slightly different ways and then scoff when we don't care about the distinction

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I think there is some merit to stats modifying the way damage is dealt as it can cause a weapon to lean more into a specific playstyle niche, but it can absolutely be done poorly and it sucks when it is.

Excited for the changes, glad they went with what they did for blessings. It's a system that was done in Outriders and works really well imo, was one of the better things about that game.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Crafting update is out, eat your weapons to re-bless other weapons with their blessings:
https://www.playdarktide.com/news/deep-dive-into-the-shrine

Also of note:

this is absolutely better, especially if they increase crafting material drops a bit and make plasteel drop at higher quantities in higher difficulties so we don't run into the green dust-problem.

they should also let us purchase crafting materials for melkbucks tbh? would be good yeah?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Evil Kit posted:

Excited for the changes, glad they went with what they did for blessings. It's a system that was done in Outriders and works really well imo, was one of the better things about that game.

D3 did something similar and I think it's good, another way to "progress" while also giving you a big checklist of things to find. And having to keep multiple copies of every blessing just so you always have something to scrap would have been tiresome.

A good implementation, but I'm worried the itemization problems won't be solved by these changes. Hopefully they are! I don't think I'll be sure until we've sat with the changes for a couple weeks.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

big cummers ONLY posted:

"Different potential" sounds like a dishonestly positive way of framing stat variance. It makes it sound like your gun with half the possible damage roll is still worthwhile, and simply has "different potential". The gun's potential is different, because it is worse. In practice, I think most guns will have one or two optimal distributions, and the rest are just trash fodder to gum up your drops and make it take longer to get what you actually want. That's fine in a Diablo game where you're getting several drops a minute. Not great here. Receiving an Emperor's Gift after every match is a great change that will help mitigate this, along with finally being able to get grey-quality items from the store, but I would prefer there to not be an arbitrary speed bump requiring any mitigation efforts at all. I am hopeful that it won't feel bad.

Calling them trash isn't a good way of looking at it imo. There's plenty of players clearing damnation all the time with 'trash' weapons, all you need is good enough which sounds like it'll be easy enough to get. One locked blessing still sucks but we'll see how easy it'll be to get new weapons.

I imagine the next dev blog will be about balance and new content, looking forward to that.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

big cummers ONLY posted:

D3 did something similar and I think it's good, another way to "progress" while also giving you a big checklist of things to find. And having to keep multiple copies of every blessing just so you always have something to scrap would have been tiresome.

A good implementation, but I'm worried the itemization problems won't be solved by these changes. Hopefully they are! I don't think I'll be sure until we've sat with the changes for a couple weeks.

The changes so far show that they are more receptive to feedback then I had thought they would be so I think there will be iterations to loot progression still to come as the new system settles in, I'm actually pretty optimistic for a change!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Only needing "good enough" doesn't change the fact that some guns just straight up aren't good enough, and never will be, making them trash. Low rolls in the most relevant stats usually can't be fixed, and if you can mitigate the low rolls, a higher-rolled item with the same mitigation measures will always be superior. Its fine that these trash items exist, but my beef is with calling this variance "differing potential" as if even the worst guns are on an even playing field if used in the right circumstance. That feels disingenuous to me