Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
You must carefully balance your hydration meter and your piss meter. If you piss too loudly you will alert the clown to your presence. If you become dehydrated you die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Your jorts pockets have a supply of coins that you can throw at the monster to distract it - or damage it if you can find the slingshot in every level. But you can only get past the exit if you have exact change for the turnstile, and the cost is randomised every run.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The player character is a tortured writer, who's rented out a large mansion in order to finish his newest novel.

As the game progresses, you discover that the events in the novel ARE HAPPENING IN REAL LIFE.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
You're in a small windowless room. Only two sources of light, a weak 40w ceiling light and the eerie blue glow of an old thinkpad laptop on your desk. There is a low grinding sound as you explore the near featureless room until you sit down at the desk.

On the computer is a dead internet forums talking about nonsense. The words are jumbled and confusing. You have to post about clowns or the grinding noise gets close.

After 15 minutes of it, there's a jumpscare of the monitor turning off and game crashing.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You play a sexy blonde woke lib college student lady who, after a day protesting for native reparations, is thrown into a decrepit themepark by some unruly rednecks. Over the course of the game you're forced to disguise yourself so you can move through the broken society that has grown up inside, but when you escape at the end it's in front of national TV cameras and you discover that the white greasepaint you applied to your face during level 4 has turned black in the sun.

In the background, three dozen clowns point and laugh.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
A very small percentage of people may experience a seizure when exposed to certain visual images, including flashing lights or patterns that may appear in video games. Even people who have no history of seizures or epilepsy may have an undiagnosed condition that can cause these “photosensitive epileptic seizures” while playing video games.

But don't worry about that, this game is dark as gently caress. We're not gonna even ask you to fiddle with the gamma correction. We call the shots and we like things BLACK

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I loving hate video games. Where are all the FPS's and AA-AAA RPG's? No it's all just about scaring learning disabled children now. Here's a horror game for em, "Your Parents Are Getting Divorced And It's YOUR FAULT!" It has a DLC called "Your Little Brother Has Down's Syndrome Because You Imagined Spongebob Instead of Jesus While Saying Grace One Time".

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

You're about to develop the sequel to your beloved(?) horror game. Somehow you still have the rights to use H. R. Giger's artwork.

Although the lead developer of the first game used himself as the main character, he's not involved in this one. He is now written to be the biggest loser on the planet, with the whiniest voice imaginable, living in his hometown where everyone hates him.

After 3 hours of navigating dialogue trees where every option is your character asking a stupid question, you finally enter the circus, navigate the hall of mirrors and enter the Giger dimension. The world is just scanned pages of his artbook with metal walkways crudely inserted.

The biomechanical monstrosities are noticeably nicer than everyone from your hometown, likely because they have only just met you. Your only friend turns out to be imaginary.

There is a clown but he's the only character you kill in the game. You fail to give him his medication in time.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

You awaken and sit up on the side of your bunk, when suddenly your body stretches and contorts until you are torn apart and die.

You wake up again in the bunk. You get up and leave the room. You take the elevator down to the lobby but it hurtles through the bottom of the game world and kills you.

Later, after successfully leaving your building, you reach the airport and begin walking down the ramp to board. The plane inexplicably explodes and kills you.

You awaken in the bunk. Again. There is no goal, no gameplay to speak of, just this empty world of static structures and inexplicable glitches.

The only clown is the developer, and the players.

naem
May 29, 2011

Applewhite posted:

You must carefully balance your hydration meter and your piss meter. If you piss too loudly you will alert the clown to your presence. If you become dehydrated you die.

patch one: the [PEE] IN [MOUTH] exploit has been removed

patch two: ok we didn’t stop to think who our userbase was going to be, it’s back

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
In awaken in a mansion filled with terrors so well created that the game becomes THE game of all time, crashing the market for all other games and any console the game is not released on.

You play as Velma.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The piss mechanic now has dual joystick support.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
As the madness meter gets higher, the game becomes progressively more annoying. Eat celery to lower the madness meter.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Different gauges for hunger, stamina, and needing to pee/poop. You’re vulnerable while using the bathroom and eating is tied to peeing and pooping so you have to be careful to make sure you don’t need to drop a huge noisy deuce in the middle of sneaking around a horde of zombies.

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
You need to play the lyre to lull the clown to sleep for long enough to sneak past. But one hour ago you needed a string to make a fishing rod! If you had chosen an incorrect string to remove from the lyre to make the rod, the clown's lullaby will now be unplayable and you will lose.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
You must navigate an abandoned elementary school haunted by an evil clown. All the children's drawings are creepy and distorted kids' music plays over the PA constantly.

Collect all the journal entries to escape.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

(german dev)
Game seamlessly blends modern horror sensibilities with German folklore. Sound design and music are better than most AAA games. Game lasts 8 hours and never overstays its welcome.

Sells 500 copies and the devs go bankrupt after middling reviews from game journalists that didn't play past the first level.

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 10, 2023

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

(french dev)
You play as Petite Loup, a wolfboy struggling with his new powers in a psychosexual thriller that takes place in 19th century Paris. Transformation scenes are needlessly detailed and the entire game feels weirdly perverted.

Commercial failure until the furry community finds it and it goes trending on Steam.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
(American dev)

gets death threats for implying that women and Black people existed before 1975

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

You're being stalked by a serial killer and must hide from him. But the twist is you have mad farts so you have to hold them in or risk giving away your location.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Every time you find a food item to eat you have to check the ingredients to make sure it doesn't contain anything that would set off the allergies you rolled at chargen.

You need to be in bright light to read the wrappers, and the game will not stop sending enemies after you while you try and read from the crumpled plastic.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
an entirely competent psychosexual survival horror game with oedipal symbolism where the main antagonist, a clown, chases you around a nightmarish version of a department store while yelling “TASTE MOMMY’S CLUSSY”

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
You’re a college student getting ready for your first day at clown college. But what you don’t know is that the board has selected you for the Evil Clown Program and you’re about to get some real hands on training.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Soundtrack is the scariest genre: bargain-bin Portishead rip-offs

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

There is a section where you randomly have to precision platform in complete darkness. You must do this while carefully regulating your character's breathing (hold left mouse to inhale, hold right mouse to exhale).

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

The "joke" door with a sign that says DO NOT ENTER. If you use the door the game crashes. There is no saving.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The clown is already stalking you during character customization and if you spend too long tweaking your character the clown bursts in and murders you.

The clown's starting position is determined by RNG so sometimes you only have like 15 seconds before the clown finds you.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Applewhite posted:

The clown is already stalking you during character customization and if you spend too long tweaking your character the clown bursts in and murders you.

The clown's starting position is determined by RNG so sometimes you only have like 15 seconds before the clown finds you.

Ok this is a legit good idea

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
It's about how going to therapy is important.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I can't figure out how to get collisions working so it's honor system not to walk through the walls.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's basically a cross between survival horror, the Saw movies and nintendogs.

Every few hour long set of levels requires you to find, befriend, heal, feed and protect a wounded puppy. To escape the last stage of the set the controlling clown demands you then personally & graphically kill said puppy in a specified manner.

Our team has been banned from the local dog shelter, but really it was all a misunderstanding.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
It's the 90s and you're the superintendent in an apartment building full of sassy African American women. One day you find yourself being stalked by a terrifying clown!

Through journal entries and audio logs you learn that the clown who is stalking you is actually your ditzy girlfriend.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

(canadian dev)
By day you're a fisherman in a sleepy town in Ontario. By night, something far more sinister as the villagers turn into Lovecraftian fishpeople.

It's a walking simulator and isn't much fun at all.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There are three save slots, however the third one is cursed and write only- attempts to load from it crash the game. This is due to numerology and not a weird bug.

naem
May 29, 2011

a game that took over five years to make is steampunk flavored but started development right at the end of steampunk’s popularity and it’s too late now

there are supernatural elements and everyone wears old timely coats with like tails and collars and magic is all purple colored

the slow pace is meant to be atmospheric but really the budget is low and this is easier

central the the theme and tone is the idea that “English accents are sexy” but this is hampered by the fact that 1. the voice actress/actor (there are only two) dated and broke up halfway through and neither is very good and one of them is american and faking it badly and the tension and boredom is palpable and 2. English people are depressing not sexy

naem
May 29, 2011

the lady clown’s cockney accent is not an entertaining theatrical accent, they just hired a foreign trailer park person who’s genuinely unpleasant

naem
May 29, 2011

an Irish actor is hired to do an Irish accent, but is constantly told “No no, do it like THIS-“ and is given an over the top bad american version that matches expectations

the game is a surprise hit and the actor gets a lot more work now but hates doing stereotype voices

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Your character's severe mental illness is conveyed through the control scheme

naem
May 29, 2011

in the long awaited big budget sequel press announcement, a really attractive A list actress over 35 is paid to say things like “this is a good game” and “you can have adventures with your friends” in a room of of fat guys

she is visibly weirded out by the fact that a bunch of hooter’s waitress looking models that all look like plastic, less attractive younger versions of herself are dressed in clown wigs and bikinis

on the screen behind the stage, clowns with meat cleavers clip through each other as cgi bodily fluid spray across the backrooms walls

socially awkward young men keep asking questions at the press event that require in depth knowledge of the game lore to which the actress replies “truly in the land of A’Zer’oth it is you, who are the chosen warrior” with a straight face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

actress on the phone with her agent after leaving the press event stage

:furious whispers:

Is that my rear end?? Is that, my loving rear end? Kevin? I mean, it LOOKS like my rear end!!”

:pause:

looks at clown

Well is it SUPPOSED to be my rear end?? Because it’s going to look like, my loving rear end now KEVIN. Did we negotiate this?? What’s my percent??

:eyes widen:

“HOW many copies sold?? Ok so CAN it be my rear end? Get my trainer and nutritionist on the phone and let’s do photo shoots where I wear the ping pong motion suit then. YES ping ping my rear end NOW. gently caress I bet there’s going to be a Netflix adaptation let’s plant some seeds, YES i want the part!!”

:smiles and mugs for camera next to fat guy: