Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mr. Fortitude posted:

No. They weren't. In the original Gamecube release, rain just bounces off the arm canon in a simple 2D particle effect. In the remaster, water actually collects and dribbles down the arm canon and movement affects how it dribbles down the canon. There's a gigantic difference in how it looks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jaypbay8rt4

I recommend watching this, because I think some of you misremember how Prime 1 actually looked like on Gamecube.

No I remember it very clearly, I just misunderstood what you meant in your post. My B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

A remaster means you are taking the original assets and exporting them (mastering them) again in better quality. That is the definition of a remaster.
That's too reductive of a definition.

The game is literally named "Metroid Prime Remastered". You can argue that it's an ill-fitting title since the artists did more work than click "enhance", but I think the scope of the work fits the title based on common usage of the term in the game space.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s what the word means!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That's too reductive of a definition.

:psyduck: The term isn't unique to video games. It comes from "mastering" in audio production. When an album gets remastered, they're doing exactly what phallus described.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It’s what the word means!

Right, but it has never applied to videogames in a literal sense.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's not really a firmly agreed upon definition at all, hence this conversation and the name of the game in question. For music and film people have pretty a strong understanding of what "remaster" means, but for videogames remaster/remake are used pretty synonymously most of the time.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'd need to see a more technical deep dive on the game, but I suspect it's running in whatever framework Retro are using for Metroid Prime 4, since they took over development. I wouldn't be surprised if this remaster is essentially the original game, running in whatever new engine they're making for Prime 4.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

We can all agree the game looks cool :cheers:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Mak0rz posted:

:psyduck: The term isn't unique to video games. It comes from "mastering" in audio production. When an album gets remastered, they're doing exactly what phallus described.

Not really. In music you're generally taking the same finished mix and effectively compiling it for the album - plotting the space between songs, establishing levels, and then usually applying a multiband compression to the mixes to establish a consistent EQ curve and volume that works well with the particular medium. There isn't really an equivalent for a videogame other than I guess porting.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Sigh, how did I get in an argument with linguistic prescriptivists?

Mak0rz posted:

Sure, I get that. But like many things, the term has changed meaning when applied to video games.

It's like saying "digital" is a bad term for downloadable games since all modern video games are digital (vs. analog) including "physical" ones. Language changes and evolves when used in different contexts.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Applied to videogames "remaster" is just a buzzword.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Cultic is really fun but that slippery rear end footing bumps it down below the best for me. It’s definitely authentic to a retro shooter vibe that you’re taking your life in your hands any time you have to climb stairs, but that doesn’t mean I like it.

yeah the stairs are a bummer. I spent more time looking at the steps as I walked up, only to get blasted in the cheeks by some pistol goons. Still, a very fun game that isn't afraid to give you lots of dynamite.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Death Stranding had a Director's Cut even though the director was very much in charge of the entire thing.

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1414442896367915015

So I guess sometimes the marketing department just decides how things are named.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The term "remaster" hasn't applied to videogames until a few years ago, so we're still in uncharted territory here. But games aren't "mastered" to begin with, unless you mean when version 1.0 is first committed to disc or whatever. In which case a literal "remaster" would be extremely boring. There is essentially no such thing.

MP Remaster is maybe more like a "remix" where you go back to original elements and change them a bit, but that is also a term that's taken on other meanings, obviously. Or maybe it's like a "special edition" i.e. Star Wars.

A "remake" would be more like, well, when they remake a movie. At least it would certainly encompass that, which this isn't. Or the music analogy would be like Taylor Swift re-recordings.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

they should have just called it Metroid Prime 4 since it's not like another game is going to use that title

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

It's certainly simpler to understand how the Q2 bff works.

The tribute is also what the doom 1 BFG LOOKS like it’s doing, even if we’re all decino-pilled people who know it’s a big shotgun in 2023. So it feels like a fitting tribute even to people with memories of classic Doom.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Sir Lemming posted:

The term "remaster" hasn't applied to videogames until a few years ago, so we're still in uncharted territory here. But games aren't "mastered" to begin with, unless you mean when version 1.0 is first committed to disc or whatever. In which case a literal "remaster" would be extremely boring. There is essentially no such thing.

MP Remaster is maybe more like a "remix" where you go back to original elements and change them a bit, but that is also a term that's taken on other meanings, obviously. Or maybe it's like a "special edition" i.e. Star Wars.

A "remake" would be more like, well, when they remake a movie. At least it would certainly encompass that, which this isn't. Or the music analogy would be like Taylor Swift re-recordings.

It’d probably be better to call it “renewed” because the visuals have been brought to a modern standard and the engine’s been ported from the GameCube’s hardware to the Switch’s, along with new controls and whatever other tech changes were sensible to effect a more pleasant experience in 2023. But there is a long cultural attachment to “remastering,” so the metaphor is being stretched to a new approximation for a different medium. Everything old is new again, anyway you look at it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah fair.

The last time Nintendo did this (Xenoblade Chronicles) they called it "Definitive Edition," which is an even more loaded term now that I think about it. Before that (Wind Waker and Twilight Princess) they just appended "HD" to the title.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

The last time Nintendo did this (Xenoblade Chronicles) they called it "Definitive Edition," which is an even more loaded term now that I think about it.
Arguably a misnomer too, as it was missing stuff from the 3DS port (none of it at all important)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ookiimarukochan posted:

Arguably a misnomer too, as it was missing stuff from the 3DS port (none of it at all important)

All the 3DS added was sound test and a model viewer so it's a total nothing loss really yeah

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

IronicDongz posted:

Yeah I was gonna say, I feel like some people have seriously rose-tinted glasses on what MP looked like.

I realized this when watching LobosJR play it blind recently and, hoo boy, that skybox in the tutorial area is rough.

To be fair, we all probably played Metroid on ancient fuzzy CRTs. You can't see bad textures if everything is blurry

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Gus Van Sant's Metroid Prime

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Reworked geometry puts it somewhat beyond what I'd expect of a simple "remaster", though maybe that's low expectations on my part. I do feel like to qualify as a "remake" there'd have to be significant content reworking, though.

going to call it a... turbo remaster

nailed it

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Was Doom 95 a remaster of Doom

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Volte posted:

Was Doom 95 a remaster of Doom

No, it was a sorta janky Win32-native port of the Doom engine by an internal Microsoft team. Later that team was tasked with creating DirectEngine, a proof of concept and hope by Microsoft to license a game engine using then cutting-edge Windows tech. When that fell through, the team spun off as Monolith, and their engine became rebadged as LithTech 1.0.

Doom95 sorta sucked, in absolute terms, though it was also used as the foundation for porting Hexen95. More info here.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I know all that, I'm just saying by some of the definitions of Remaster given above, Doom95 was a remaster.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I generally consider it on a scale, with a port on one end, a remake one the other, and remasters in the middle, though particularly with ports and remasters there's some fuzziness at their border. Edit: Like the Spider-Man game when it got ported to Dreamcast and had better textures and graphics.

A port is just that, an attempt to make a game run on another platform. There may be changes, but that's generally due to hardware or other differences between platforms. These range from the cheap-rear end "let's throw the ROM into an emulator and put it out for $10" to something like PSX Doom where the hardware necessitated large changes.

A remaster is a port that adds stuff like QoL features and enhanced graphics, but rarely makes major changes to core gameplay. They are, for the most part, basically the same game but nicer to play/look at. I'd be inclined to put, say, GLQuake in here alongside Quake Enhanced, as well as most modern remasters.

A remake is a new game built from the ground-up, designed to emulate the feeling of the game it takes its name from in some way, but not necessarily completely beholden to it. RotT'13, SW'13, the System Shock remake, Doom 3, Doom'16... these all have different approaches to the original source material, for better or worse, but are distinct games from their predecessors.

catlord fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 10, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

skasion posted:

Cultic is really fun but that slippery rear end footing bumps it down below the best for me. It’s definitely authentic to a retro shooter vibe that you’re taking your life in your hands any time you have to climb stairs, but that doesn’t mean I like it.

Once you play it enough you pretty much master it. Go ahead. Play it 60 hours. It's a good game and deserves it!

Power Walrus posted:

What a time to be playing games, it really feels like we’re getting some incredible stuff from solo devs/small teams.

One guy! One loving guy! And not like a Chris Sawyer situation (pbuh) where he had some help on graphics and sounds and stuff but the music, sounds and art assets too. That tune in the final part of the mine town might be my favorite

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Video games go gold when they are ready for release so it should be regolding

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like the term refurbish for this sort of thing, thanks David Cronenberg.

The new graphics are great, but I had issues at release with aspects of Metroid Prime, like the end game quest, and not making any tweaks to the design but updating the graphics doesnt work for me.

Now if it goes on sale for 20, possibly 30 dollars hell yeah Ill get it

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

One guy! One loving guy! And not like a Chris Sawyer situation (pbuh) where he had some help on graphics and sounds and stuff but the music, sounds and art assets too. That tune in the final part of the mine town might be my favorite

It's staggering! My quibble with the first song is ridiculous, considering how effective everything else is. The tense music that kicks in when you first meet a harvester reminded me of Splatterhouse. Really amazing that one guy brought all these vibes together in one game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sir Lemming posted:

The Taylor swift re-recordings were, I believe, to get her music back from some gently caress face who stole it.

No, there's not a direct transference of the term remaster but it's essentially what it is. Same content, brought to modern, or fresher and different standards. A remaster of music has basically the same goal.

I don't see any issue in calling it a remaster, but I also find it aggravating to get bent out of shape over wording, especially when we all know what it means in context anyway.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I guess a game “remaster” in the original sense of the word would be going back to Photoshop and Zbrush and whatever else you used and exporting the live assets at higher qualities. But you’d still have to do some work to get the game running on another platform which has no real equivalent in other media

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The Taylor swift re-recordings were, I believe, to get her music back from some gently caress face who stole it.

No, there's not a direct transference of the term remaster but it's essentially what it is. Same content, brought to modern, or fresher and different standards. A remaster of music has basically the same goal.

I don't see any issue in calling it a remaster, but I also find it aggravating to get bent out of shape over wording, especially when we all know what it means in context anyway.

The Taylor Swift recordings are kind of convoluted. So the record company Swift signed her original contract with owned the master recordings (the recordings used on albums, but also the ones used for licensing for tv/movies/ads/etc), and after Swift became mega-famous and rich, that company sold the masters to Dr. Luke. If you don't know who Dr. Luke is, he's an infamously scummy/terrible producer/music industry guy, he's the one Kesha fought for years to get out of a contract with because Kesha stated repeatedly that he sexually harassed her and did horrible poo poo to her. Swift wanted her masters back, but the company that owned them/sold them to Dr. Luke refused to even negotiate with her, despite her stated willingness to pay the market value. It was a straight-up "gently caress you, you don't get to own your own music you minion" horrible thing*. It wasn't "stolen," except in the sense of "stolen by corporate fuckery."

So the re-recordings as (Taylor's Version) are yes, remasters with updates and tweaks, but it's primarily Taylor creating new master recordings that she owns and owns all rights to. It's unequivocally a good thing, regardless of what you think of Taylor Swift's music/reputation/whatever.

*yes, taylor swift is a nepo baby, but you get the general idea.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Dread Templar putting its different themes to good use

Genuinely don't remember buying this game, must've got it in a bundle at some point so I'm pleasantly surprised that it's actually good. The arsenal is fun and the upgrades give you multiple different ways to use them. You can't equip all the unique upgrades at once so it kinda feels RPG inspired when you build up a collection and start swapping them out, ice pump shotgun vs piercing fire double barrel, lighting katana vs katana with inferno gauntlet ammo leech, etcetetc. Plus you get character upgrades for speed and hp and stuff. Thing is a lot of them are hidden so you better like secret hunting. They're not entirely missable though, game's nice enough to let you revisit levels from the main menu

Only complaints I have so far are nitpicks, There's no pickup text so you're gonna be guessing what the weapon you just picked up is called, or what that ammo was for. And I guess the manual saving isn't my favorite, but save points are plentiful.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Arivia posted:

The Taylor Swift recordings are kind of convoluted. So the record company Swift signed her original contract with owned the master recordings (the recordings used on albums, but also the ones used for licensing for tv/movies/ads/etc), and after Swift became mega-famous and rich, that company sold the masters to Dr. Luke. If you don't know who Dr. Luke is, he's an infamously scummy/terrible producer/music industry guy, he's the one Kesha fought for years to get out of a contract with because Kesha stated repeatedly that he sexually harassed her and did horrible poo poo to her. Swift wanted her masters back, but the company that owned them/sold them to Dr. Luke refused to even negotiate with her, despite her stated willingness to pay the market value. It was a straight-up "gently caress you, you don't get to own your own music you minion" horrible thing*. It wasn't "stolen," except in the sense of "stolen by corporate fuckery."

So the re-recordings as (Taylor's Version) are yes, remasters with updates and tweaks, but it's primarily Taylor creating new master recordings that she owns and owns all rights to. It's unequivocally a good thing, regardless of what you think of Taylor Swift's music/reputation/whatever.

*yes, taylor swift is a nepo baby, but you get the general idea.

scooter braun is the guy who bought her masters. i don’t know what his deal is except that she personally despises him

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Power Walrus posted:

My favorite memory from 90’s PC Gaming was the demo discs. All these new cool games to look forward to that you had no idea existed.

Talking contemporary “retro” games, holy poo poo is Cultic good. I bounced off it initially because the first music track grated on me, and I was put off by how compressed the colors are. Glad I gave it another shot because the combat feels so fun and punchy. Really nice atmosphere, too. What a time to be playing games, it really feels like we’re getting some incredible stuff from solo devs/small teams.

I adore Cultic, but I did end up tweaking some graphics options in the menu (I forget the exact names, but I removed the color compression(?) so it was more colorful and scaled back the dithering a bit). I appreciate the fact that those options were available in the first place.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I had to turn it down so it ran well :negative:

Ultrakill runs p great though lol

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Weedle posted:

scooter braun is the guy who bought her masters. i don’t know what his deal is except that she personally despises him

poo poo you're right, my bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
On a semi-random whim decided to play Half-Life 2 for the first time in almost 8.5 years(last played on September 25 2014), so far it's held up pretty well(indeed it still looks pretty drat good for an almost 20 year old game), except that sometimes it's a bit hard to figure out where to go next(cause sometimes parts of the environment just blend into each other due to the whole dingy semi post apocalyptic nature of the setting), and a lot of the puzzles that involve jumping suck(one was so bad I actually busted out noclip to get past it), also I had almost forgotten how punchable of an rear end in a top hat Dr Breen is(or indeed just how much of a bunch of dickheads the Combine are)

Also beat Hrot's first episode a couple days ago, game does a lot with a color selection that's mostly browns, beiges, grays, and a shade I like to call "Breen"*

And lastly have been dipping back into Nightmare Reaper again with a new playthrough, it's amazing how much the game's balance gets smashed up if you get lucky and find a gem staff that has good stats(in my case one that has both a high Ice bonus and a decent fire rate speed increase) since those don't require any form of ammo so you can be free to be a bit more careless with how you use your ammo for other weapons

*basically a blend of brown and green that is often one you see in a sewer(which makes it appropriate that it coincidentally matches up with Dr Breen's name)