Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Warmachine posted:

No, but it is the kind of topography begging for a constructed path down to the water with a dock. I have a natural water feature right there, why do I need a pool?

amoebic dysentery and naegleria fowleri

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Itaipava
Jun 24, 2007
HILL LAW

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Not to mention Jason Voorhees. You wanna make a constructed path for Jason Voorhees to be able to get from that lake to your back door?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

Not to mention Jason Voorhees. You wanna make a constructed path for Jason Voorhees to be able to get from that lake to your back door?

I currently live on a lake without a steep rock face keeping Jason Voorhees from walking in through my back door. Doesn't change my status quo. :smuggo:

(It's a rental with 4 "cottages" on the land, and 80% of my back yard is unusably saturated with water at all times. But I'm paying less than I would downtown or most other places and the view is fabulous.)

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Only one is threat. The other is a friend that makes your abs pop for instagram in time for swimsuit season.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Warmachine posted:

No, but it is the kind of topography begging for a constructed path down to the water with a dock. I have a natural water feature right there, why do I need a pool?

Army Corps of Engineers might have control of that boundary section and have a limit on the number of socks that are allowed to be built

Also it's almost certainly not a 50 degree hill, humans are notoriously bad at estimating slopes and consistently over estimate them. Unless you can see it from the side it's about impossible to guess right without a lot of practice

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Only one is threat. The other is a friend that makes your abs pop for instagram in time for swimsuit season.

Friend, nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Warmachine posted:

I currently live on a lake without a steep rock face keeping Jason Voorhees from walking in through my back door. Doesn't change my status quo. :smuggo:

(It's a rental with 4 "cottages" on the land, and 80% of my back yard is unusably saturated with water at all times. But I'm paying less than I would downtown or most other places and the view is fabulous.)

Is it a wetland or just some wet land?

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Everyone knows that's not the cops, they don't take caqsh app. The real cops would have asked for itunes gift cards.

Also the weirdest self checkout I've seen was at a Circle K last weekend - no barcodee scanning, you just put your items in an area and it used image recognition to figure out what you bought and the total. At least that's how I think it worked, I don't think they're NFC tagging individual bags of M&Ms.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

Warmachine posted:

You need a pool for when the weather is too inclement for sailing in your boat.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

Verdugo posted:

Also the weirdest self checkout I've seen was at a Circle K last weekend - no barcodee scanning, you just put your items in an area and it used image recognition to figure out what you bought and the total. At least that's how I think it worked, I don't think they're NFC tagging individual bags of M&Ms.

Some of the recycling centers here are using image recognition. Your bag of cans and bottles gets poured onto a big metal pan basically, and it rolls them around so it can capture the label or I assume the general size/shape to determine the overall weight. It's probably a lot faster but there are a lot of complaints about inconsistent counts or undercounts and the general response has been "well sometimes it overcounts your recyclables too so really it's a wash in the end :shrug:"

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

What's the point of a fancy new system that's provably less precise than previous methods? Is someone trying to disrupt the self checkout/recycling sorting industry?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

therobit posted:

Is it a wetland or just some wet land?

The latter. It's like walking on giant sponges.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

SettingSun posted:

What's the point of a fancy new system that's provably less precise than previous methods? Is someone trying to disrupt the self checkout/recycling sorting industry?

Based on how these things usually work I assume it's to not have to pay human workers to do it.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

SettingSun posted:

Machine vision is miles ahead of bar code reading (when it works, that is).

Bar code scanners are limited to one piece at a time. Machine vision can scan everything at once and potentially account for missing/incomplete/damaged bar codes.

There's more programming that has to be done on the front end if you're going to try to ID stuff based on size/shape (rather than bar code), but there are tons of tools in these systems to make that easier.

Long story short it has the potential to massively speed up these sort of scanning operations, and time is money. Even if it fails to ID stuff, if it can catch 90% of things and only require manual checks for the other 10%, you're probably saving time.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

SettingSun posted:

more automation plus if it undercounts they pay you less, and there are less human workers doing menial tasks like weighing recyclables or counting things manually. very few people are going to take a bag of cans in and go "there are precisely 47 cans, 15 plastic bottles, and 4 glass bottles, you owe me $x" :capitalism:

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

My sister received a bill from her ex posted:

My sister’s ex [edit: ex-boyfriend] has sent her an excel spreadsheet of an itemized list of things he paid for during their two year relationship. Like, down to cents, i.e. $1.08 at McDonalds. The total is $1,134.65. He is now threatening legal action if she doesn’t pay. Is this possible?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DaveSauce posted:

Machine vision is miles ahead of bar code reading (when it works, that is).

Bar code scanners are limited to one piece at a time. Machine vision can scan everything at once and potentially account for missing/incomplete/damaged bar codes.

There's more programming that has to be done on the front end if you're going to try to ID stuff based on size/shape (rather than bar code), but there are tons of tools in these systems to make that easier.

Long story short it has the potential to massively speed up these sort of scanning operations, and time is money. Even if it fails to ID stuff, if it can catch 90% of things and only require manual checks for the other 10%, you're probably saving time.

also, it is not susceptible to bar-code swapping

which while it may not be a huge cost savings, is sure a thing that the store will like to hear

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Vice President posted:

more automation plus if it undercounts they pay you less, and there are less human workers doing menial tasks like weighing recyclables or counting things manually. very few people are going to take a bag of cans in and go "there are precisely 47 cans, 15 plastic bottles, and 4 glass bottles, you owe me $x" :capitalism:

Still don't miss living in Michigan. Having to run every single can/bottle/etc. through the machine to get your deposit back was a loving pain.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'd like to send my heartfelt congratulations to the OP's sister for dumping that weirdo.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Bad with math and bad with money; a bankrupt white man.

Bankrupt White Man absolutely must be part of a future thread title.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

My grandmother did this to my dad. Anytime he asked for money for something she wrote it down in this book and once he was like 18 or something she asked him to pay it all back.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

Babushka Wants Money

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Sounds like the setup for a sequel, Baleful Ward Mee-maw.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

totalnewbie posted:

I'm 99% certain this is what happened, because it happens all the time here in Michigan, where annual property tax increases are capped:

1. House was purchased for low price and thus the property taxes were low.
2. Taxes increase at a stupid low rate while property value skyrockets.
3. House is sold at high price.
4. Escrow is set up using past property tax value (see where this is going)
5. House is reassessed by the state/city and property taxes are adjusted accordingly.
6. Homeowner pays into the escrow according to what was agreed upon on closing.
7. Escrow continues to run a deficit because the agreed-upon amount was insufficient to cover the updated property taxes.
8. After 1 year of low payments, mortgage lender sends a letter to homeowner telling them that 1) their escrow has gone up due to higher property taxes and 2) it has gone up even further to cover the previous year's deficit.
9. After 1 year of extra high payments, escrow decreases somewhat to the "normal" amount that will be paid continually going forward (at least for the property tax portion).

Ours is going up by close to $100 a month next year.

My county in NE is odd because you pay taxes one year behind. We bought the house in 2022. So, this year, we're paying the 2022 taxes on the house, based on the previous owners valuation.

Next year, when we have to start paying 2023 taxes based on the price we actually bought the house for, it goes up quite a bit. At least we have a good amount of notice.

You also get the fun, if you buy a new construction house, of not needing to pay taxes on it the year you move in. After that, though, you're looking at probably $7,000 a year +.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I appreciate this.

Cook County also pays their property taxes in arrears.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

more like a pain in the rear, am I right

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

I don't know how every place handles property taxes, but here in Cook County, Illinois, what happens is the cities establish a budget, and that budget drives how much money they need in property taxes. That determines the property tax rate based on the total assessed value of all the properties in the city. So the assessor could never, ever change the assessed value of your home, but if they city needs more money, the rate goes up. The job of the assessor is essentially determining what portion of the city property tax revenue each home owner owes.

That's what my town does. We just did a town wide reassessment and due to a bunch of overpriced, new construction my property taxes actually went down.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
My state requires counties perform a reassessment every 8 years minimum.

My county aims to make tax assessments reasonably close to what the fair market value should be. So what the end up doing is called a revenue neutral re-assessment.

The first step is to re-assess the tax valuesto meet the above requirement. This rebalances values because not all neighborhoods go up/down in value at the same rate, so it ensures people are paying taxes proportional to the current fair market value.

The next step is to adjust the tax rate so that overall revenue doesn't change.

Any increases/decreases in revenue are strictly due to other reasons and is a separate thing altogether. For most people their tax bill doesn't change a whole lot.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Having your taxable property value go up a bit at a time, then with a big correction is still going to be preferable to most people. Not just because at least you're paying less for a while, but a lot of states also have a homestead exemption that caps how much the taxable property value can go up in a given year. If the increase from reconciliation is higher than that cap, that pushes those taxes back even further.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Cross posting from bitcoin threads is probably cheating

but they are pretty good

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

a pizza oven at least creates something you can actually use

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I hope this one is true

https://twitter.com/coinfessions/status/1620497247015247882

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

John Ray's forensic accountants are right now filtering their spreadsheets for a supplier whose totals match 150 to 170k over 8 months so they can press charges and claw back the money if it happens to be real (but the odds aren't great)

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Vice President posted:

a pizza oven at least creates something you can actually use

Faucets are still a thing? What would they call the thing water comes out of in their sink?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
btc faucets, peeps who would give you btc for free because it was worth like fractions of a cent and they still believed in all the ideological crap

Baddog
May 12, 2001

There really is no reason to starve in this world, between this and the people who buy hot meat out of the back of vans.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Vice President posted:

I hope this one is true

Fraudulent invoice scams are definitely a thing. Reminds me of the long set of posts in which a similar scammer tries this on notably cranky lawyer Ken White:

(index contains a summary and spoilers of what happens) https://www.popehat.com/2011/09/25/anatomy-of-a-scam-chapter-index/

(chapter 1 link, if you just want to read from the beginning) https://www.popehat.com/2011/09/10/anatomy-of-a-scam-investigation-chapter-one/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

CongoJack posted:

My grandmother did this to my dad. Anytime he asked for money for something she wrote it down in this book and once he was like 18 or something she asked him to pay it all back.

what was the grand total?