Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Baron von Eevl posted:

Brian Wilson opened a health food store in 1969 and operated it himself. He didn't like schedules so he'd just kind of open it when he felt like it, usually after dinner. It folded within a year.

Shoulda called Rhonda to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cloacamazing! posted:

Need to abolish capitalism first,

Stop threatening me with a good time.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Brawnfire posted:

Shoulda called Rhonda to help.

It's alright, he just wanted to go home.

Because he felt so broke up.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Well, he's here today, at least.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Karma Comedian posted:

Small world, I have a friend on the LIGO team

I have your mom on my LIGMA team. :smuggo:

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Platystemon posted:

This is the precise opposite of what we should be doing, which is building space elevators so that we can bend the Earth’s angular momentum to our will.
We should actually declare war on the moon so they stop loving up our seconds.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

That's lunacy

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Baron von Eevl posted:

Brian Wilson opened a health food store in 1969 and operated it himself. He didn't like schedules so he'd just kind of open it when he felt like it, usually after dinner. It folded within a year.

now that's just too late

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Zero_Grade posted:

We should actually declare war on the moon so they stop loving up our seconds.

We solved the time problem, but now we have a (lack of) tides problem.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I feel like the arguments about UTC and Unixtime leave out the most fun part of dealing with time: Time Zones.

I invite everyone to watch Tom Scott explain it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5wpm-gesOY

Time, as we say, was a mistake.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Antigravitas posted:

I feel like the arguments about UTC and Unixtime leave out the most fun part of dealing with time: Time Zones.

I invite everyone to watch Tom Scott explain it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5wpm-gesOY

Time, as we say, was a mistake.

Pro-click

Looking forward to Unixtime breaking

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I sent that video to some colleagues yesterday. Thought about posting it here but contribute to a derail? Me??

(gonna watch it again, fuckin love that guy)

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Baron von Eevl posted:

Ah, the Doobie's Dog House method.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Stop being such assholes"

what is with this peremptory language, u giving me a command?? YOU FORCING ME INTO COMPLIANCE???

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Karma Comedian posted:

Small world, I have a friend on the LIGO team

LIGO more like LIGWO

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They're not saying you shouldn't do both, so not an idiot (based on this post, I have no idea who they are)?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
He seems to be implying that people being assholes is the root cause of depression.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

captainOrbital posted:

He seems to be implying that people being assholes is the root cause of depression.

I guess one can read it that way :shrug:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
yeah. one can.

"...if you really want to help prevent suicide, depression, and self harm, stop being such assholes..."

I'm paraphrasing because I added an oxford comma, but even if everyone in the world magically stopped being assholes to each other, people would still suffer depression and self harm. obviously he is implying (facetiously) that suicide prevention hotlines are a bandaid over the wound of being in a hellworld populated by monsters, but it's still glossing over many of the reasons why people suffer with depression.

and it's still a good idea to try to get help to people irregardlessly. even if people do it as a way to make themselves look like or feel like they're helping, sometimes a small inconvenience or a small act of kindness can help someone else

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I'd argue that preventing people from getting access to mental healthcare counts as being an rear end in a top hat so I stand by the OP

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If you count bullying as "being an rear end in a top hat" that would really help with childhood suicide.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I mean, this isn't exactly wrong.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It won't end ALL depression/self harm/etc, but it'd sure help some of it. Some people do take dark turns because of being treated badly.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Midnight Voyager posted:

It won't end ALL depression/self harm/etc, but it'd sure help some of it. Some people do take dark turns because of being treated badly.

nervously eyes the leper's colony

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Thanks for your feedback.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mister Speaker posted:

I disagree, and as a Canadian who's used Celsius for weather my whole life, this is actually one instance where I concede the hill and won't die on it. The only thing Celsius really has going for it is that 0 degrees is a simple way to know "it's gonna start getting loving cold." But the wider scale of Fahrenheit means you can more accurately describe a finer temperature change without getting into decimal places. We can perceive a temperature change of like 1/5 of a degree C (I think it's even finer than this in experiments but not in a practical sense), but nobody's going to tell you it's 20.2 degres outside.
Oh poo poo, did you say it's fourteen-point-two? I thought it was 14.5! Better grab my jacket!

Cloacamazing! posted:

Need to abolish capitalism first, I sure as hell am not accepting payment for "time management figures I've been working".
People could be paid on the basis of the work they've done rather than how long it took them to do it. Many people would work fewer hours and a bunch of pointless, do-nothing jobs would disappear. Sounds like an improvement.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Decimal points are hard

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Celexi posted:

Decimal points are hard

Life without them is pointless though

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/punished_cait/status/1623888873720774656?s=20

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Took the cowards way

https://twitter.com/fallenigloos/status/1623909424892092416

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
O.K. but like, why the actual gently caress are the tuba firs there at all?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

That house is haunted as hell

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Acoustics.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Sawed through structural sticks to make the attic more attractive for the females, tale as old as time

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Structural engineer was a coyote in an ACME company van

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Not structural, this guy I met behind the steak n shake said so

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
Is his name Richard Rorty? Because he is about to become post structural.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Tiggum posted:

People could be paid on the basis of the work they've done rather than how long it took them to do it. Many people would work fewer hours and a bunch of pointless, do-nothing jobs would disappear. Sounds like an improvement.

That would be awesome too, especially since it would mean I could gently caress off after half a day instead if spending half my workday shitposting and somehow still getting more done than my colleagues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Platystemon posted:

I assume the previous occupant was worried the roof was going to fall down and thought that wedging some planks in there would help.