Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Forgot the worst part. I have to explain my cat dying to my 3 year old.

E: well this is a crappy snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Bird in a Blender posted:

First time having to do that? It certainly isn't easy.

My kiddo became obsessed with the concept of death after our pup died, so she asked very direct and frank questions about it for a long time after. Still does, occasionally.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

I made an appointment to euthanize my cat tomorrow. She has cancer, has lost a good amount of weight, and I'm pretty sure arthritis has now set in. All this, plus the kidney disease we have been managing for the last year. She pretty much just lays around all day, can still climb stairs, but very slowly, and can't get on anything else. I've been racked with guilt for the last few weeks because I've been trying to decide when I need to make the call. She could probably hang on for another month, maybe two, but I'm also trying to not wait until things are really bad. I finally decided I need to just do it because I'm making myself crazy trying to figure out the right time to do it. Now I'll at least have closure.

I'm so sorry about your cat.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
My at the time 7 year old was completely unphased by the passing of our senior dog :smith:

I think mostly because she had trouble dealing with other dogs so I'd told him we weren't getting a puppy while she was still alive

e: She'd been basically a shell of herself for three years at that ponit. I fell into the same thing as Fiz's parents with holding on too long. By the end she was blind, deaf, had dementia, had trouble moving around, and was incontinent. She seemed to have thirty minute periods every few weeks where she'd snap back to her old self for a little while, which of course happened literally the day before her appointment to be put down

Intruder fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 9, 2023

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

LeeMajors posted:

I love that last picture.

I've got a low level cat dander allergy so I've avoided them most of my life, but my daughter is dying for one. They're such interesting little creatures, and so regal.

My wife didn't care for them because she had a slight allergy, too. We got our first in college because the caretaker in our apartment had kidney issues and was told she shouldn't be around the litterbox anymore. My wife fell in love with him and was responsible for us getting our second.

RE: the regal part, it is a pretty solid 50/50 blend between regal and little weirdo. One of the funniest things I've seen was when I had a file folder about 2/3rds of the way on my desk, and our cat regal-walked across my desk until he stepped on the unsupported part and absolutely ate it falling off the desk (he was fine, they land upright).

e: Oh and +1 on the parents waited too long to put down their most recent dog train. Going deaf was fine, but by the end she was on anti-anxiety medicine and would pace around and sleep like 3 hours a night. She made me anxious to be around when we would visit, and that was only for a couple of days at a time.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Blowjob Overtime posted:

RE: the regal part, it is a pretty solid 50/50 blend between regal and little weirdo. One of the funniest things I've seen was when I had a file folder about 2/3rds of the way on my desk, and our cat regal-walked across my desk until he stepped on the unsupported part and absolutely ate it falling off the desk (he was fine, they land upright).

Well 50/50% that and at least 85% loving annoying rear end in a top hat that you will love anyway.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Lol yeah, sometimes one of mine will sit up right with a perfect Cat Posture and look very dashing, handsome, and regal in the glistening sunlight, and sometimes he forgets to close his mouth and stares off into the distance looking like a mouth breather

On the other hand, as I’ve mentioned several times in this thread, there’s my orange one who’s just an absolute loving moron 24/7

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

e: She'd been basically a shell of herself for three years at that ponit. I fell into the same thing as Fiz's parents with holding on too long. By the end she was blind, deaf, had dementia, had trouble moving around, and was incontinent. She seemed to have thirty minute periods every few weeks where she'd snap back to her old self for a little while, which of course happened literally the day before her appointment to be put down

Yeah, I had a similar experience. I grew up with a miniature schnauzer, and he had eventually gotten just really old and sick. He was diabetic and needed insulin shots three times a day, he had arthritis in his front and rear legs, and eventually he became so blind that he couldn't find his way out from under my computer desk, and at night I'd have to carry him upstairs to bed.

He got really bad the summer I was home from my sophomore year in college, and my dad told me that Max was my dog, so it was my decision as to what to do with him. (Bastard.) I made an appointment with our longtime vet, who told me that we could maybe give Max six more months, but his quality of life would only continue to decline and he was already in a lot of pain. So I decided then and there to put him down.

I still have his collar on my bookshelf.

Had a similar experience in 2017 with one of my cats, Spike; he was incontinent, arthritic, couldn't hold food down, constant inner ear infections.

I still have his pawprint, too.

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 9, 2023

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Cats are furry lovable demon assholes. I relate to that.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

We had to put down our senior pug of 15.5 years a week after my 2nd daughter was born (about 5 months ago) and our other daughter was just 3 years old at the time. We waited until my three year old started to ask questions about where he was and then we answered them directly without making it a huge deal or talking about doggy heaven / lying. Just "when animals get old they die and aren't here any more. Carl was very old and got very sick and he died. We are very sad he is gone and miss him very much. He was uncomfortable / in pain and he is not anymore. We still love him very much"

And kind of hit that on repeat until she understood the concept that sometimes animals get old and then they die and arent here any more.

It took her about 1 week to notice he wasnt around anymore and even start asking questions.

The other 2 dogs in the household were freaking the gently caress out when we left and came back without him. They probably could smell the grief hormones or whatever when i returned. I cried for a full 30 mins at the vets office. They took a full 3 months to adjust to be honest.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/steinkobbe/status/1623789212926345217

no way lmao

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

EmbryoSteve posted:

We had to put down our senior pug of 15.5 years a week after my 2nd daughter was born (about 5 months ago) and our other daughter was just 3 years old at the time. We waited until my three year old started to ask questions about where he was and then we answered them directly without making it a huge deal or talking about doggy heaven / lying. Just "when animals get old they die and aren't here any more. Carl was very old and got very sick and he died. We are very sad he is gone and miss him very much. He was uncomfortable / in pain and he is not anymore. We still love him very much"

And kind of hit that on repeat until she understood the concept that sometimes animals get old and then they die and arent here any more.

It took her about 1 week to notice he wasnt around anymore and even start asking questions.

The other 2 dogs in the household were freaking the gently caress out when we left and came back without him. They probably could smell the grief hormones or whatever when i returned. I cried for a full 30 mins at the vets office. They took a full 3 months to adjust to be honest.

Yea that's good info. We've tried to bring it up and say things like she is sick, her body isn't working anymore, and she won't be around, but I don't think it's sunk in to my son. So I guess we'll see how long it takes him to notice too. This is my last pet in the house, so at least I won't have other pets that need to adjust. This cat, Pippin, immediately got more vocal once my orange cat, Vonnegut, had to be put down. Her being extra vocal never really went away until now because she can't meow much anymore. It will be my first time being pet free since 2006.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

4:30 wake ups to do an hour of weights and an hour of cardio all week has me dead on my feet today. Good thing is I'm not where near as anxious or sad when I'm this loving wrecked every day.

Sorry to hear about your cat Bird. That's just loving poo poo. Something that might help, remember that your cat had a perfect life. Fed, looked after, loved and cared for and kept happy every single day.

Thats all anyone could ever hope for. It's sad that it's come to an end but you would have made your pets life perfect as you could and that's pretty great.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I'm sorry for your loss, Bird. It sucks.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

lol what a loser

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Our cats are ageing too. We had to let go of Bean a couple months ago (and you guys were great with your support, thank you) and she was 12 - sophia is older, but seems to be doing really well right now. She's somehow gotten more playful, she's the most likely cat to find a toy and go nuts with it at some random hour of the day. We lost Doofus years ago, he was still really young (I think 5) to a bullshit disease called feline infectious peritonitis, his brother is doing well right now though. Eventually they'll all die of something, and it'll be hard as hell because we'll have to figure out each time when to draw the line on quality of life.

It must be much harder with kids. I was too young to remember when my parents lost their first cat, and the other one, Natasha, lived to be 19 and died when I was 16, so that was hard but I was old enough to understand and honestly I was just happy she'd gotten to live that long. We lost pets when I was little - mice only live a year or two, we had hamsters, we had fish, we had a guinea pig. Kids who live on farms have to learn about death at an early age. I think kids are generally really resilient, just don't tell them bad lies like Mr. Ruff had to move to a farm upstate, they'll hate you for that poo poo. My mom tells me her parents told lies like that when her childhood dog was run over and she resented it for the rest of her life.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Yeah, my kid’s 11 and my dog is 5 and a generic shelter mutt with no health issues, so fingers are crossed he should make it well past high school graduation. My ex wife’s pug, on the other hand, is my daughter’s entire world, and also 8 years old and obese even by pug standards, I’m anticipating a very emotionally devastated child in the foreseeable future

T-Square
May 14, 2009

BlindSite posted:

4:30 wake ups to do an hour of weights and an hour of cardio all week has me dead on my feet today. Good thing is I'm not where near as anxious or sad when I'm this loving wrecked every day.

My anxiety triggers real bad when I get poor or small amounts of sleep. The girlfriend wakes up at 3:30 every morning to do a few hours at the bakery and then goes to school until around 3, I would be a miserable human being if I did that lol

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

T-Square posted:

My anxiety triggers real bad when I get poor or small amounts of sleep. The girlfriend wakes up at 3:30 every morning to do a few hours at the bakery and then goes to school until around 3, I would be a miserable human being if I did that lol

Tbh I take some thc oil when I get home, cook myself some dinner and usually by about 7pm my eyes are starting to droop. If I'm in bed reading by 730 I'm out before 9 and seem to get enough.

I feel quite good mentally. Feeling every bit of 35 physically today but have all me faculties and am in a good mood.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Sorry about your car BiaB

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I remember putting my cat down 2 years ago and it's so hard to do. Try and focus on the happiness you brought each other. That google stories or whatever showed me a bunch of cat photos right around New years and it loving hurt, but it was also nice.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I’m gonna eat French fries

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Work ordered Jimmy John’s for lunch today, and I don’t know why only specifically Jimmy John’s hot peppers wreck me because they’re not particularly hot, or why I always insist on ordering them on my subs, but here we are!

Usually it waits until the next morning :negative:

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

I'm making an apple tarte for the super bowl now. Fun.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I'm making an apple tarte for the super bowl now. Fun.

I made a double batch of chocolate chip cookies for the Super Bowl, and I made the decision to put them in the trunk of my car so I wouldn’t keep eating them. I’ve regretted that 12 times today.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Coco13 posted:

I made a double batch of chocolate chip cookies for the Super Bowl, and I made the decision to put them in the trunk of my car so I wouldn’t keep eating them. I’ve regretted that 12 times today.

I'll make it either Saturday or Sunday since I know I'm going to want to eat it before hand. My friend who's throwing the party is making Boston cream cupcakes so going with a more tart fruit option seems reasonable. I'm also going to try a strawberry tarte as a back up just in case and to have a desert at home for my lady if she decides not to go since she's not in to any sports.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Replacing the flapper on my toilet fixed the leaking issue.

(Tim Allen grunt noises intensify)

My scheduled appointment at the DMV to get a Real ID™️ was sidetracked several times because I 1: forgot my passport & 2 forms of residence ID (like mail), 2: found out my passport expired in September 2022, and 3: had to dig around to find my OG birth certificate.

At least I had a chance to check out some washing machines & dryers at several appliance places afterwards. Now, time to relax with a nice calming movie before bedtime… like Hereditary.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

I had to track down my social security card to get my enhanced ID last year because it was the one thing I didn't have on hand and my passport expired in 2019. Then the DMV lady didn't really even examine my documents too closely anyway. Now I can go to Canada and get on domestic flights without two forms of ID. I do need to get my passport renewed but I've been putting it off since I have a flag on mine for going through 3 passports in 10 years- 1 stolen while out of the country, the replacement that I had for 9.5 years and thought I lost in a move, then the one I got to replace that one last minute after I had to take an emergency flight to Canada for work and I hadn't gotten an enhanced ID. The replacement one was only good for a year and I'd gotten everything ready to renew but when everything shut down for Covid I put it out of mind.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

My 2 year old still doesn’t have a SS number

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

a sexual elk posted:

I got mine after I completed the youth program.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

a sexual elk posted:

It's not required until they're 5 or 6, right?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

a sexual elk posted:

Just make one up. What the government gonna do, complain to itself?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BlindSite posted:

(Social Security, the US national pension plan. Not that other thing :v: )

At some point I need to start the paperwork of getting our little one her passports and registered with the embassy, but we’re not planning on traveling overseas with her for a while so I can be a bit lazy there. Should do it soon though. Better safe than sorry etc.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

BlindSite posted:

:golfclap:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

BlindSite posted:

:dadjoke::hf::godwinning:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

a sexual elk posted:

How do you claim them for taxes?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
That’s crazy. My kid had a SSN within a few weeks of being born. I still have yet to memorize it

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Fitting conversation because just this morning I realized that I have no idea where that Place I’m Definitely Not Going to Forget that I stowed my SS card and Birth Certificate when I moved is
:negative:

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

a sexual elk posted:

Let me tell you about the IRS getting mad because they don't have an ATIN on file because ATIN is handled by the Texas IRS office and since we live on the east coast, our taxes are processed by a different office.

Literally having to mail copies of IRS documents to the IRS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

T-Square posted:

Fitting conversation because just this morning I realized that I have no idea where that Place I’m Definitely Not Going to Forget that I stowed my SS card and Birth Certificate when I moved is
:negative:

:lol: same. Pretty sure I haven't had a social security card for quite a while now. Thankfully a passport is enough for new jobs and Real ID. At this point I really don't know what I would need my social security card for except maybe if I let my passport lapse.