Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bruceski posted:

On a different note, Ivy looked rather fragile when I first got her and I just put her in because flying caster/staves is a unique niche, but at some point between then and 5 chapters later she's become a solid monster. Just with average growths she's now the front line of my fliers and not someone I need to worry about babying as long as I know where the bows are.

Ivy has surprisingly good bulk, yeah. Her speed actually snuck up on me, too. She was kind of a mediocre combat unit outside of her being a flying tome user (automatically pretty good) for a while but somewhere around chapter 22 or so I started noticing she was suddenly doubling guys with Bolganone and doing tons of damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Statistically Ivy's supposed to be slow bulky unit. Her class has one of the lowest speed caps in the game.

But her growths are all fine? Just pure cap spite.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
the support line between Rosado and Mauvier may perhaps be the best thing in this game

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Wait, a lindwurm or lindorm is a dragon that is a snake with two limbs and no wings.

Fire Emblem is dead to me now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycatscrimes posted:

Wait, a lindwurm or lindorm is a dragon that is a snake with two limbs and no wings.

wait until you find out what wyverns are

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Finally found out how poison works (‘why isn’t the enemy losing hp each turn, lol’)
Seems like a lot of work unless they introduce a poison-centric emblem or character with a poison trait, or stacking dagger users

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

mycatscrimes posted:

Japanese video games are historically not great at correctly designing things to match with western names.

GateOfD posted:

Finally found out how poison works (‘why isn’t the enemy losing hp each turn, lol’)
Seems like a lot of work unless they introduce a poison-centric emblem or character with a poison trait, or stacking dagger users

Er.

You can absolutely stack lots of poison if you want. But also, even one poison is pretty great.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Not being able to just scroll between previews of class outfits is a significant step back from 3H.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Endorph posted:

wait until you find out what wyverns are

Wyverns have only two legs on Fire Emblem more often than not, which is consistent with my insufferable dragon pendantry, and therefore a-ok.

Also I'm not actually mad about them using 'lindwurm', though it would be pretty fun to see an actual lindwurm, just because it's a nonstandard dragon that isn't frequently seen.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

incidentally, the tier 3 dracoknight class in fe10 (dragonlord in english) was also lindwurm in japanese.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Supremezero posted:

Japanese video games are historically not great at correctly designing things to match with western names.

I was just being flippant! I am bad at making that clear I guess?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I enjoy Zelkov and Yunaka's "game knows game" support conversations, and am having them swim together just so I can see the end of it.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Blaziken386 posted:

the support line between Rosado and Mauvier may perhaps be the best thing in this game

”My heart did flutter when I was struck by an enemy’s poisoned arrow.” Oh Mauvier :allears:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

mycatscrimes posted:

This game has an actual dragon riding a dragon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycatscrimes posted:

Also I'm not actually mad about them using 'lindwurm', though it would be pretty fun to see an actual lindwurm, just because it's a nonstandard dragon that isn't frequently seen.
fe3 ice dragons only had two limbs and no wings, but while ninian and nils in fe7 keep the winglessness they have 4 limbs

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Harrow posted:

Alear's going to do all right in any physical class, really. Wyvern Knight is always a good call, for example, or a backup class like Hero or Warrior.

That said I think on Maddening I would especially value the Divine Dragon class. With fixed growths Alear's stats are pretty okay but nothing amazing, but the power something like Dragon Vein or Byleth's Instruct lets them wield with the Dragon unit type is probably really valuable.

Ah, but playing dress-up in a video game is fun, I just want to avoid too much of a good thing :v:

So seriously if there are any combos you're curious about I'd be happy to grab screens, I'll probably be playing around with reclassing a bit tonight anyway.

If you're doing it anyway, just post anything that turns out surprisingly pretty.

Supremezero posted:

I for one, blame Wizardry. And therefore ultimately, I blame dungeons and dragons.

Hobgoblins are supposed to be the smaller ones, Gygax, you absolute bastard. You have ruined language.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Endorph posted:

fe3 ice dragons only had two limbs and no wings, but while ninian and nils in fe7 keep the winglessness they have 4 limbs

Yeah and I like those. I didn't say it never appears in Fire Emblem either, just that you don't see them as much? I just made a shitpost that I didn't think anyone would take as me seriously trying to start poo poo about Dragon Terminology. Sorry.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm finishing out more support lines thanks to this.

Chloe/Merrin might be my favorite of the bunch so far.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycatscrimes posted:

Yeah and I like those. I didn't say it never appears in Fire Emblem either, just that you don't see them as much? I just made a shitpost that I didn't think anyone would take as me seriously trying to start poo poo about Dragon Terminology. Sorry.

uh that response wasnt me trying to be all 'akshually' i was just making conversation

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

GateOfD posted:

It's actually pretty nice on Maddening. For regular packs having the enemy go after a thief first makes finishing them off more reliable. And all the bosses apparently get eleventy billion more hp bars than other difficulties(at least that's what I gather from other people posting in the thread about how people are getting one or two come the final leg of the plot) so stacking 2 or 3 applications of it on a boss before you really go ham makes them much easier to bring down.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Actually I think I'm misreading people as being angry at me who aren't. I'm bad at tone today!

I hope this isn't the only game where we get wolf knights because it is a very fun class design. I always like when they have nonstandard mounts.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Ahahaha. Ivy's English version actress is a professionally trained singer who's mainly a stage actress specializing in musicals, from what I looked up out of curiosity. So in her support with Timerra where Ivy tries to sing and is horrible at it, that's a professional deliberately trying to sound like an awful amateur.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Endorph posted:

uh that response wasnt me trying to be all 'akshually' i was just making conversation

But this post you're definitely doing it :agesilaus:

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Endorph posted:

I'm bad at reading today! Entirely on me.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

FoolyCharged posted:

It's actually pretty nice on Maddening. For regular packs having the enemy go after a thief first makes finishing them off more reliable. And all the bosses apparently get eleventy billion more hp bars than other difficulties(at least that's what I gather from other people posting in the thread about how people are getting one or two come the final leg of the plot) so stacking 2 or 3 applications of it on a boss before you really go ham makes them much easier to bring down.

thinking about it, now realizing the power of backup.
poison should really help boost that stuff up too.

but don't think a backup emblem dagger user will apply stacks with their backup attack since it seems all flat damage bonus

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Cythereal posted:

Ahahaha. Ivy's English version actress is a professionally trained singer who's mainly a stage actress specializing in musicals, from what I looked up out of curiosity. So in her support with Timerra where Ivy tries to sing and is horrible at it, that's a professional deliberately trying to sound like an awful amateur.

This is somehow even better than Dorothea legitimately being played by someone who can sing.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
having the weapon triangle back just shows how much of a mistake it was take it away in 3H

magical triangle can stay away though...

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Supremezero posted:

Only one class in the series has the english word 'wyvern' in its japanese name: the wyvern knight class from sacred stones which, well:

is actually a wyvern

The other classes have been called 'dragon rider' 'dragon knight' etc, names like that, with the english word 'dragon'. I believe that the actual scripts of these games tend to call manaketes by the japanese word for dragon (ryuu) instead, which I assume reduces confusion. In Elibe, where the localization decision was originally made, the script calls the beings that doragon naito (dragon knights) ride hiryuu, literally flying dragon. The conclusion seems to be that 'dragon knight' is an honorific title for a person who rides a 'hiryuu', the same way paladin is the honorific title for someone who is real good at riding a horse.

'Wyvern' is a plausible translation of 'hiryuu' in a vacuum, especially when you need to distinguish them from proper dragons. Of course, outside of a vacuum, it's very clear that these beings are not wyverns. But I guess they decided only pedantic nerds will care and, well, they're right

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 10, 2023

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

cheetah7071 posted:

Only one class in the series has the english word 'wyvern' in its japanese name: the wyvern knight class from sacred stones which, well:

is actually a wyvern

The other classes have been called 'dragon rider' 'dragon knight' etc, names like that, with the english word 'dragon'. I believe that the actual scripts of these games tend to call manaketes by the japanese word for dragon (ryuu) instead, which I assume reduces confusion. In Elibe, where the localization decision was originally made, the script calls the beings that doragon naito (dragon knight) ride hiryuu, literally flying dragon. The conclusion seems to be that 'dragon knight' is an honorific title for a person who rides a 'hiryuu', the same way paladin is the honorific title for someone who is real good at riding a horse.

'Wyvern' is a plausible translation of 'hiryuu' in a vacuum, especially when you need to distinguish them from proper dragons. Of course, outside of a vacuum, it's very clear that these beings are not wyverns. But I guess they decided only pedantic nerds will care and, well, they're right

It's a great wyvern, too I love it's doofy snake face and long body.

Thanks for the info. And I think they are right that the general use of 'wyvern' is just 'lesser dragon' as opposed to a specific body plan. Lindorm hasn't been genericized like that mostly because lindorms are pretty forgotten in favor of 'cooler' dragon designs these days. Which, fair.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm kinda confused how enemies have all these skills that we still don't have on 5 DLC classes. Where is my Triangle Adept class?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I am starting poo poo about dragon terminology

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

is actually a wyvern

The other classes have been called 'dragon rider' 'dragon knight' etc, names like that, with the english word 'dragon'. I believe that the actual scripts of these games tend to call manaketes by the japanese word for dragon (ryuu) instead, which I assume reduces confusion. In Elibe, where the localization decision was originally made, the script calls the beings that doragon naito (dragon knight) ride hiryuu, literally flying dragon. The conclusion seems to be that 'dragon knight' is an honorific title for a person who rides a 'hiryuu', the same way paladin is the honorific title for someone who is real good at riding a horse.

The core on those things must be insane. Can you imagine keeping your entire upper body off the ground without arms all day like that and then you add an entire extra person's weight, with armor and weapons on top of that?

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

RareAcumen posted:

The core on those things must be insane. Can you imagine keeping your entire upper body off the ground without arms all day like that and then you add an entire extra person's weight, with armor and weapons on top of that?

Snakes are pretty much entirely muscle, it must be like that.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I always thought the sacred stone wyvern was kinda sick tbh
Anyhow the terminology is made up and highly regional anyways there’s barely any convention to really stick to

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
My main arguments for making Louis a General instead of Great Knight

- Immunity from weapon triangle means he’ll always counter and his strength growths are good enough that he’ll make it hurt
- I’m not sure what the GK class skill is but Swap was super useful in my play through, whether to get another unit out of danger or give another unit just one extra move that they needed to make a key play

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Interesting. So it's more matter of translators not knowing English than it is the devs not knowing English mythology.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Zelkov and Jean’s A support is very heartwarming. I love the two interacting with each other.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I can probably count the number of times I’ve used reposition from Ike on one hand but every time I have it’s felt cool which is pretty good for a skill you can get for 200 sp (although I’ve just used it from the freebie from emblem equip)

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Really anything that deviates from the Standard Cool Fantasy dragon is neat to see. You know the one I mean- triangular head, scales are almost rocklike, kind of the 'official dnd art' style of dragons.

A little lithe wyvern with a snake face? Nice. Weird reindeer water dragon with human hands? Love it. The awakening dragons that were heavily inspired by sea dragons? Rad. Fa? She's a chicken and I respect that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

It's great that now people can actually read all the supports and get to know the characters.