Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Most of the side-dialogue is bland and bad, very much like Mass Effect Andromeda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Fucker posted:

its fun op

Lying to urself won't erase the shame

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Who would you rather be stuck in a car with for an 10 hour road trip - a Harry Potter super fan or a Disney adult?

potter fan, no contest

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Blue Raider posted:

potter fan, no contest

"Mickey is obviously in Gryffindor and Goofy is a Hufflepuff but what house would Donald get sorted into"

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Manager Hoyden posted:

"Mickey is obviously in Gryffindor and Goofy is a Hufflepuff but what house would Donald get sorted into"

Disney adult-Potterfan hybrid

Cursed

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm always a fan of writers not knowing how to make a villain in a universe where it should be super simple, so they just make them say stuff lifted piecemeal out of something by Marx or Lenin because it's scary to them, and then when people don't find that convincing enough they tack on "oh and they've got a dirty bomb." What's filling that role here, is the big evil guy resurrecting a bunch of evil Merlins or something? Or is it just "Goblins shouldn't be exploited and enslaved anymore" left to fend for itself?

More authors should be brave enough to include far seeing worm gods who are so mad and eternal that they're barely even human anymore

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

My understanding is the lead goblin uses a lake of power under the hog to become a dragon to try to destroy the world at the end

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Epic High Five posted:

I'm always a fan of writers not knowing how to make a villain in a universe where it should be super simple, so they just make them say stuff lifted piecemeal out of something by Marx or Lenin because it's scary to them, and then when people don't find that convincing enough they tack on "oh and they've got a dirty bomb." What's filling that role here, is the big evil guy resurrecting a bunch of evil Merlins or something? Or is it just "Goblins shouldn't be exploited and enslaved anymore" left to fend for itself?

More authors should be brave enough to include far seeing worm gods who are so mad and eternal that they're barely even human anymore

I like it when they present villains as sympathetic revolutionaries, so the villain has legitimate grievances with systems of oppression. But they dont know how to resolve that so they just go "They were secretly insane the whole time and tricking the oppressed!" You see it in a lot of children's media and it's weird because it's basically reactionary conspiracies copied whole-cloth

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sounds like the wizards were probably mostly mad about someone else finding out about their lake of power, the help of all people to find it too

Buschmaki posted:

I like it when they present villains as sympathetic revolutionaries, so the villain has legitimate grievances with systems of oppression. But they dont know how to resolve that so they just go "They were secretly insane the whole time and tricking the oppressed!" You see it in a lot of children's media and it's weird because it's basically reactionary conspiracies copied whole-cloth

Didn't Bane have to have a garbage truck nuke scheme or something stapled on to his plot to make him less sympathetic?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

smoobles posted:

my wife is playing the Game Which Must Not Be Named and has killed about 100 goblins so far

Sounds like rookie numbers to me, I think that still only qualifies as a massacre, not genocide. She better get cracking

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Didn't Bane have to have a garbage truck nuke scheme or something stapled on to his plot to make him less sympathetic?

Yeah something like that iirc

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

This poster is still smarter than anyone who bought this game. Unless they also bought the game.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kwolok posted:

This poster is still smarter than anyone who bought this game. Unless they also bought the game.

The little mouse symbol means they own the game iirc

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

This is why JRPGs typically have a better plot. You eventually end up fighting some sort of god who are also attached to an evil corporation / government / bureaucracy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

Sounds like rookie numbers to me, I think that still only qualifies as a massacre, not genocide. She better get cracking

To be fair Orc Genocide And Horrible Mind Control 2014 was a pretty fun game.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair Orc Genocide And Horrible Mind Control 2014 was a pretty fun game.

:yeah:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mean Baby posted:

This is why JRPGs typically have a better plot. You eventually end up fighting some sort of god who are also attached to an evil corporation / government / bureaucracy.

Some of them also have Sylvando, which is the real difference maker I think

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Evolution on the Dreamcast was disappointing because the final boss wasn't God, just some emperor in a robot suit

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

There are doors locked behind math puzzles in the game, which is how I learned wizards call math "arithmancy". Pretentious fucks.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

There are doors locked behind math puzzles in the game, which is how I learned wizards call math "arithmancy". Pretentious fucks.

I think if they called it that in the real word more kids would be interested in math. Good job, JK Rowling.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Epic High Five posted:

Some of them also have Sylvando, which is the real difference maker I think

wanna play a game where sylvando shows up and summarily dismantles the entirety of wizarding society by being honest, kind and fabulous

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Like they could have just had the enemy be wizards who are conjuring up a bunch of spectral enemies on behalf of some ancient villain who has returned. Instead the enemy is Jewish Marxists.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Mean Baby posted:

Like they could have just had the enemy be wizards who are conjuring up a bunch of spectral enemies on behalf of some ancient villain who has returned. Instead the enemy is Jewish Marxists.

but what if the game is fun???

CHECK MATE.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Lying to urself won't erase the shame

Shaming yourself wonty earsse the lies.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Truly livin in a society

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Mean Baby posted:

HP fans love to destroy Jewish Marxists. It’s why the franchise exists

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Mean Baby posted:

I guess if they were going to do that they kind of would have needed rowling to okay an ancient villain, and then they would have had to say rowling was directly involved in the game. Maybe the "advantage" this way is they used the one extant piece of lore about the setting in the 1800s and didn't have to talk to her

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

FrostyPox posted:

I think if they called it that in the real word more kids would be interested in math. Good job, JK Rowling.

eh why not

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
My hot take on the HP situation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZRWAjuH0mU

Edit: Oh godamnit I was like 2 pages behind bc my browser didn’t refresh. I stand by my statement.

SnoochtotheNooch fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 9, 2023

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I don't even care that the goblins are the villains, its just mostly that they are portrayed has having legitimate, longstanding grievances and are wrong for not just accepting their status as second-class citizens.

It'd be better if they were just DnD goblins, evil for the sake of being evil

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

I guess if they were going to do that they kind of would have needed rowling to okay an ancient villain, and then they would have had to say rowling was directly involved in the game. Maybe the "advantage" this way is they used the one extant piece of lore about the setting in the 1800s and didn't have to talk to her

Just use Bleath Beaters and random monsters.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mean Baby posted:

Yeah wasted potential seems to be a feature of these franchises now, how much more interesting would a Tiffany Aching or Earthsea game be, if indeed you could even make one of those into a game I guess.

Anyway this is all leading up to my real point: The world in Final Fantasy VIII is criminally underexplored by the story, which is just about how much it sucks having stupid co-workers and a sideplot of how you can still do alright if you're a bumbling mess if you've got some good friends.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah wasted potential seems to be a feature of these franchises now, how much more interesting would a Tiffany Aching or Earthsea game be, if indeed you could even make one of those into a game I guess.

Anyway this is all leading up to my real point: The world in Final Fantasy VIII is criminally underexplored by the story, which is just about how much it sucks having stupid co-workers and a sideplot of how you can still do alright if you're a bumbling mess if you've got some good friends.

It also involves time kompression and a wrist-mounted crossbow that shoots dogs at people so it owns

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
What does this thing's gameplay even look like...?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Buschmaki posted:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Buschmaki posted:

Armored Core 4 Answer did this right, you join a revolutionary cause and eventually one dude says "Hold on, if the elites are the problem why don't we just kill ALL the elites?" and you do, but since there's 100 million of them it's uh, awkward

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Buschmaki posted:

third person shooter with a fast roll

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Buschmaki posted:

You can take a look pretty much anywhere, it's already one of the most streamed games of all time at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.