Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

ScooterMcTiny posted:

MLS’ deal with Apple is an interesting testing ground for this. I wonder if any of the other leagues (well I guess just MLB and the NBA) will look at that over the next couple years and think they could also take it on with a single production partner.

MLS is set up differently because most of the teams were already doing their own production. Soccer is a relative low cost production vs MLB/NBA/NHL. The MLS game quantity is way less too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I never quite understood how MLB broadcasting worked anyway. Before the Cubs started up the Marquee Network, they would have games on WGN, and the local RSN, but they had the same team in the booth no matter what channel the game was on. Were these guys employees of the Cubs, or just had separate agreements with both networks?

I kind of wish MLB would just negotiate something for the whole league, like what the NFL does, but baseball has a bajillion more games than the NFL, so it's way more complicated. I just would like to watch the Cubs again.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The best move would be if they have a national contract, but I doubt that happens because some teams like the Cubs and Yankees have their own networks

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
What was the problem with Apple's MLB production? I caught maybe, 1 game and thought it was fine. I liked the font and graphics package.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

harperdc posted:

The blackouts are driven by the territory rights, which can be weird (see the A’s trying to find a place around the Bay Area that won’t upset the Giants).

The Pittsburgh Pirates are blacked out in Columbus despite no cable provider in the city offering the channel carrying the Pirates. You used to be able to watch through Extra Innings, but they blacked that out too. And any game of theirs on MLB Network is also blacked out.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

The Pittsburgh Pirates are blacked out in Columbus despite no cable provider in the city offering the channel carrying the Pirates. You used to be able to watch through Extra Innings, but they blacked that out too. And any game of theirs on MLB Network is also blacked out.

This sounds like doing the people of Columbus a service.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Blackout rules are negotiated by each league in the rights agreement.

The FCC rule (which no longer exists) was that a cable company couldn’t swoop in and pick up a game that was blacked out on an OTA channel.

I know up until Burrow, Kroger was still buying a bunch of Bengals tickets and giving them to kids or veterans to keep the games from being blacked out. They had to do that to keep a home Wild Card game from being blacked out.

I stand corrected, I thought the blackout rule was an FCC thing because that is what the message on screen said when I was a child.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

soggybagel posted:

What was the problem with Apple's MLB production? I caught maybe, 1 game and thought it was fine. I liked the font and graphics package.

They were good imo. The only problem is that the announcing team was terrible

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Bird in a Blender posted:

I never quite understood how MLB broadcasting worked anyway. Before the Cubs started up the Marquee Network, they would have games on WGN, and the local RSN, but they had the same team in the booth no matter what channel the game was on. Were these guys employees of the Cubs, or just had separate agreements with both networks?

I kind of wish MLB would just negotiate something for the whole league, like what the NFL does, but baseball has a bajillion more games than the NFL, so it's way more complicated. I just would like to watch the Cubs again.

Separate agreements, and the broadcasters are employees of the team or just paid by each channel. This used to be a lot more common, where Detroit would have about half of the regular season games of the Wings/Tigers/Pistons on over-the-air WKBD 50, and the other half on cable for PASS Sports or Fox Sports Detroit. For the '80s and '90s, that divided schedule was very common, until the rights fees became too high for those OTA stations to handle.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Yeah, the Apple/MLS tie-up is going to be real interesting to watch. I'm extremely annoyed that I'll go from being able to watch CLTFC games for free on local TV to ponying up $14/month or whatever to see them, though.

Lockback posted:

Bally sports is definitely on satellite and cable. The only fox Sports streaming services I was aware of required one of these packages anyway. I'm not sure what specifically is different (other than Bally being generally a worse production).

Not to necro-reply here, but the difference is that the Bally RSNs are no longer on YouTube TV, Hulu live, etc., so none of the popular streaming TV options have them anymore, which means you're forced to go the satellite/cable route or pay $30/month for the app if your market is a Bally one. Since traditional TV bundles are losing tons of customers with people switching to streamers, that means tons of fans can't watch their local teams anymore. Bullshit blackouts have always been a problem, but this has made things even worse.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

RumbleFish posted:

Yeah, the Apple/MLS tie-up is going to be real interesting to watch. I'm extremely annoyed that I'll go from being able to watch CLTFC games for free on local TV and will now have to pony up $14/month to see them, though.

Wait are the MLS games an additional package on top of base Apple TV+? That is a bummer since I don't want to pay that much to watch St. Louis' new team

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

RumbleFish posted:

Not to necro-reply here, but the difference is that the Bally RSNs are no longer on YouTube TV, Hulu live, etc., so none of the popular streaming TV options have them anymore, which means you're forced to go the satellite/cable route or pay $30/month for the app if your market is a Bally one. Since traditional TV bundles are losing tons of customers with people switching to streamers, that means tons of fans can't watch their local teams anymore. Bullshit blackouts have always been a problem, but this has made things even worse.
It absolutely blows but I see the strategy from Hulu live and the OTT crowd and it seems to have worked: use live sports to get fans to cut the cord, and then refuse to pay the extortionate RSN carriage fees... correctly guessing that most people will stop watching (or :filez:) rather than return to cable.

The debt from the leveraged buyout forced the issue for Ballys but the RSN model is crumbling because it relied on "20% of your subscribers will not shut the gently caress up if you drop us from basic cable, so your other 80% have to pay us $7/mo/ea even though they don't care" and ESPN can tell you what cordcutting does to that business model. Everyone involved knows it's a dying strategy, but even at a 50% discount the rights fees money is too big for teams to bail.

And thus fans are the ones getting hosed.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

e: wt but anyway when's Chip Caray's replacement getting announced?

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 10, 2023

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

So Disney is reshuffling some things. They are creating three large departments, ESPN, Theme Parks, and Entertainment. ABC is moving to the entertainment division, so ABC and ESPN aren’t as tied together anymore. Entertainment is also covering Disney+.

Going to be interesting to see if this reshuffling affects anything with how ABC and ESPN interact and if they start splitting espn+ off from the Hulu, D+ bundle.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I think the nuance here is that the leagues aren’t looking to distribute, they are looking for money, and to your first point re: RSNs, that has historically been where the money is. Given how the leagues in general like to control their product I don’t think any of them would have issue with running everything themselves, especially if it was the path of the most revenue.

That’s exactly my point, MLB, or any of the 4 majors really, will not give the level of control that Apple would want, that’s the reason the MLS deal went through and Sunday ticket didn’t even though by all accounts Apple had the highest offer. I know the initial reports said it was because Apple wanted to give it away to subscribers, but I doubt that now that we’ve seen the MLS price package.

RSN’s were MLB’s answer to the 90’s stadium boom dying off, and it looks like gambling will replace them as the next golden goose until regulation (lol) or economic conditions shift again and they’ll move on to something else. Live sports are the last big draw for broadcasters/streamers but who knows how long that holds out aside from premium events like the World Series, final four or Super Bowl. I think MLB is about to learn the hard way the demand for Thursday night Pirates Reds games might not be so robust long-term- we’re not that far removed from local broadcasters only showing 80 to 100 games a year. It’s why we’re all stuck with Toronto feed from Nolan Ryan’s last no-hitter. I don’t think we will see those types of gaps again, but I can certainly see a future where it the rights holders get what they can locally or regionally and digital becomes the main distribution channel. At least I hope so…

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
My favorite blackout fuckery was when the NBA was playing in The Orlando Bubble, and "home" Blazers games were still blacked out in Portland.

The gently caress you want me to do, NBA? loving fly to Florida and break the bubble in order to watch the loving games?

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

harperdc posted:

The blackouts are driven by the territory rights, which can be weird (see the A’s trying to find a place around the Bay Area that won’t upset the Giants).

All of Canada being the Jays exclusion zone now is hilarious. Can't watch in Yukon

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Blackouts don't exist to sell tickets, they exist for cable subs.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

FlamingLiberal posted:

If Bally goes under (which is only a matter of time), I expect the leagues to try and start their own service

Oh, like some sort of Baseball Network

I remember when the Bucs sucked before they won the Super Bowl the games were on UPN for god’s sake.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Not that it matters a lot but for a little bit of History, at least in the LA market.

Prime Ticket in Los Angeles evolved from the defunct venture of Sportschannel LA, a once separate subscription format that aired mostly Dodgers and Lakers home games going even further back when OTA subscription services like ON-TV/Select-TV existed.
Pretty sure the Sportschannel format existed in Pittsburgh and other markets during that time as well (70's to mid 80's)

The Lakers had a long televised OTA History with KHJ/KCAL channel 9 in Los Angeles (mostly away games) with venerable and Broadcast Hall Of Famer Chick Hearn calling games both TV and radio (dubbed "the simulcast").
Much like Vin Scully, Chick was more than capable to paint a word picture for radio listeners while at the same time calling the game on the television side at the same time.
Personally, I consider myself spoiled growing up with the likes of Vin and Chick, both are unarguably absolute masters of their craft.
I haven't watched or listened to a Lakers game since Chick died because I cannot get as much excitement as I used to "hear" the game as when Chick called the Showtime Era of Lakers Basketball.
Vin Scully also called Dodgers games OTA on KTLA-5 (CW/Independent) or KTTV-11 (now a FOX affiliate) for years.

I digress though, once Sportschannel LA died Prime Ticket was launched and was absorbed into basic cable packages without the separate optional fee Sportschannel LA demanded and went about that way for a decade+.

Time Warner (now Charter Spectrum) spun the Lakers and the Dodgers into their own channels separating themselves which was then under the Fox Sports umbrella (Fox Sports West and FOX Sports Prime Ticket).

The only regional headline properties FOX Sports LA had after that splinter were the Kings, the Ducks, Angels, USC and UCLA.

Then :lol: the PAC-10/12 network attempted to splinter the pool down even further.

By the time Bally's/Sinclair came around to absorb the FOX Sports RSN brand the pool of teams had been diluted to just hockey and the loving Angels as well as Big West/WAC volleyball and basketball.
At least around here, I'm sure a similar fate happened in other major markets as well.

Long ago are the days of watching the Cubbies on Superstation WGN and the Braves on Superstation WTBS and the Boston Red Sox/Bruins on Superstation WSBK and The Mets on Superstation WOR.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Wait are the MLS games an additional package on top of base Apple TV+? That is a bummer since I don't want to pay that much to watch St. Louis' new team

Yep. It's $20/month for a standalone MLS sub and $14/month if you already have Apple TV+. Would've been a hell of a deal if it was just included in the regular subscription, but of course we couldn't have that. This is gonna really show just how much people actually care about MLS.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Luigi Thirty posted:

I remember when the Bucs sucked before they won the Super Bowl the games were on UPN for god’s sake.

That was just preseason games, which are often on semi-random channels and aren’t subject to the same network agreements as regular season games. The Dolphins I think had some on preseason games on CW over the years for comparison.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

RumbleFish posted:

Yep. It's $20/month for a standalone MLS sub and $14/month if you already have Apple TV+. Would've been a hell of a deal if it was just included in the regular subscription, but of course we couldn't have that. This is gonna really show just how much people actually care about MLS.

As a very niche counterpoint: there was zero legal way for me to watch MLS in recent years because the league hadn’t sold the rights in this market, and didn’t have a reasonable and easy way to stream to anywhere that isn’t paying them more.

Now I can, and I have paid for the season almost purely to watch lovely American soccer in the morning before lovely Japanese soccer in the afternoons followed by very good European soccer at night. But I doubt many others are in the same situation.

(Same case for college football, too - ESPN Asia stopped serving Japan a couple years back, so there’s no way for me to legally watch any college football :v: )

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

harperdc posted:

As a very niche counterpoint: there was zero legal way for me to watch MLS in recent years because the league hadn’t sold the rights in this market, and didn’t have a reasonable and easy way to stream to anywhere that isn’t paying them more.

Now I can, and I have paid for the season almost purely to watch lovely American soccer in the morning before lovely Japanese soccer in the afternoons followed by very good European soccer at night. But I doubt many others are in the same situation.

(Same case for college football, too - ESPN Asia stopped serving Japan a couple years back, so there’s no way for me to legally watch any college football :v: )

lol why would they stop serving a big country that has a ton of Americans in it?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Lol

https://twitter.com/lebatardshow/status/1624072582516420609?s=46&t=xnkCMl9lAZorcSAU3FFI8g

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I accidentally clicked on the first page of this thread and found this from a decade ago. Feels pretty prescient given how his career has taken off.

Groucho Marxist posted:

Bomani is so good that he makes me willing to watch an hour's worth of ESPN debate shows (though I would probably like DLHQ regardless because of how bizarre it is).

And I bring it up to say that I think Mina will have a similar trajectory. I very much doubt she'd go to the Ringer when I think she could do pretty much anything on TV that she wanted to.

Either way, Dan certainly has an eye for talent.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Seems like she'd go to Crooked Media before The Ringer but I agree neither is likely unless Bill backs up whatever cursed money truck he has.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Taking Mina off TV seems like a huge mistake for everybody.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The Ringer does well on podcasts (allegedly...I don't have their numbers in front of me but they do seem to do well and they signed that spotify deal) but to me someone like Mina Kimes does really well on TV segments. The Ringer's YouTube numbers are awful where I imagine they'd put her a lot. They lost the JJ redick podcast which is their highest performing YouTube video and the majority of their "live" videos hover in the 10k to 40k view rate which is not particularly good.

The majority of the recent video uploads are just Ryan Russillo yelling at a camera about stuff where he seems to be averaging about 20k views a video. It seems like they've complete gutted their creative/editing team. I have no clue why Mina or a lot of the potential ESPN free agents would go to The Ringer. Feels like a death zone over there the past year or two. YouTube monetization is something I do know a little bit about and the problem with the majority of The Ringer stuff is its very very time sensitive. You're not getting any evergreen content by the nature of how reactive they are to daily and weekly pop culture and sporting events. It's totally understandable that they aren't banking on making money from YouTube anyways but its still to me not doing any good for them and they're probably just a big money sink doing things on YouTube outside of direct buy sponsored videos.

I help manage some YouTube channels for a big company and lets say the past month our channel has 11 million views across that single channel. That's like, 13k revenue but thats revenue. Thats before YouTube takes their 45/55 split. Sorry for the digression but its really hard to make money on youtube. A video that hits 50k views is gonna get you like 5 dollars.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 10, 2023

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Chris Licht at CNN has found a solution to plummeting ratings

https://twitter.com/PuckNews/status/1624074971663278080

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Robnoxious posted:

Long ago are the days of watching the Cubbies on Superstation WGN and the Braves on Superstation WTBS and the Boston Red Sox/Bruins on Superstation WSBK and The Mets on Superstation WOR.

The summer before the strike in 93 I could watch 5 games a day with the Yankees on wpix also.

I wonder if baseball would be more popular if there were more games OTA. We get Mets games here about once a week and the Yankees used to be the same, but Amazon bought the syndication.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mike_V posted:

that's gonna last all of like 4 episodes before it gets cancelled for something he says but god it's gonna be a wild 4 episodes

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

RumbleFish posted:

MLS is getting, at a minimum, $2.5 billion over ten years, so they're good.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mike_V posted:

Zucker/Licht CNN: We Will Do Anything, Literally Anything Except Just Focus On The Actual News

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Edward Mass posted:

MLS is getting, at a minimum, $2.5 billion over ten years, so they're good.

But some of that money is to build out a whole production staff, commentators, camera guy, studio, and others since MLS is in charge of producing the content.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Meadowlark can't possibly afford Mina but respect to them for helping drive up demand

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Anals of History posted:

Meadowlark can't possibly afford Mina but respect to them for helping drive up demand
They have plenty of gambling money to throw around

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

The American Dream posted:

I wonder if baseball would be more popular if there were more games OTA. We get Mets games here about once a week and the Yankees used to be the same, but Amazon bought the syndication.

100%, not just locally either. I assume the other super stations worked similarly, but satellite signals used to got out unencrypted so anyone with the right equipment and clear view could pick them up so even in the late 80's we were getting stories of South American housewives that loved Harry Caray and watched the Cubs every afternoon. One by one they scrambled their signals (One guy got so pissed when HBO finally did it he used his own equipment to override HBO's signal) but the fandom was still there in a lot of places even through 2016.

Baseball was in a bad place in the late 70's/early 80's, it's why they brought in Peter Ueberroth more as a marketing guy than commissioner and it worked. After enough years of "Biff Tannen's Pleasure Paradise Casino & Hotel Baseball Broadcasts" at 8PM every night they're probably going to need to again, but long term fan retention is the next guys problem.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Good thing I'm out of the office next week (for a job interview)!

https://twitter.com/novy_williams/status/1624158439118344192?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

in non bally's rsn dtc news, msg is going to start theirs in the fall

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1624139277864177664

doesn't say anything about the sabres being included