Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Offkorn posted:

Unless you're doing current-tier Savage raids, the convenience of combat macros far exceeds any efficiency loss. Especially for classes with 20 instants like Bard, Mech, and Drg; just toss them all on a macro and weave with a single button.

Of course, some classes don't gain as much from macros. RDM, BLM, Sam, and Nin being the obvious ones.
This is hilariously bad advice and will tank your DPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
No one asks you to learn openers or optimized 25 step rotations for every "alt" job but if you're creating a giant all-in-one macro for instant casts, people who already aren't pushing the right buttons fast enough will now be pushing them even slower. Instead I would advise people to spend 5 minutes per new job reading a class guide or asking someone about the job's basics.

There might be a few jobs where your preferred button setup is impractical with how many abilities these jobs got over the years. By all means, merge two OGCDs into one or two macros for that, but only as an exception (eg. I had a macro while AST's minor arcana was two buttons, thankfully they merged them again).

orcane fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Feb 9, 2023

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I would strongly recommend not to start bad habits even if you aren't doing Savage-tier content because if you get used to bad practices early and then it does turn out that you do want to do harder content, you will make it a lot harder on yourself than necessary. It will be much simpler to get into the proper rotation if you just attempted to do it and hosed it up slightly/were not optimising very well instead of deliberately doing it wrong and then attempting to fix it later.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Offkorn posted:

Unless you're doing current-tier Savage raids, the convenience of combat macros far exceeds any efficiency loss. Especially for classes with 20 instants like Bard, Mech, and Drg; just toss them all on a macro and weave with a single button.

Of course, some classes don't gain as much from macros. RDM, BLM, Sam, and Nin being the obvious ones.

It's not nice to troll the new players thread

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I only just started even using macros at all. I have one that's just showing off, draw > bstance > vpose > sheathe, and I recently used Teamcraft to set up a crafting macro when I was making several dozen Skybuilders' crafts. Which feels a little like cheating, but it's entirely within the tools of the game and besides is exactly the way crafting should work, in my opinion. I've proven I can make the minigame do what I want, I shouldn't need to have to do all the work every time.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Crafting macros are how most current crafting is done given discussion on some discord servers I'm on. There are even online tools to make the most ideal macro for your current stats, though I don't have a link on hand. Pretty sure they would have cracked down on it if they thought it was cheating at this point.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Crafting by hand is tedious and monotonous, with very little variance. It's the one place absolutely no one will bat an eye at when it comes to macro use.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also if they banned it for some reason all you'd have to do is put the sequence on a hotbar in order and press the buttons. It would still be automated for you to determine what to do, they can't stop the math without overhauling the system.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Dareon posted:

I only just started even using macros at all. I have one that's just showing off, draw > bstance > vpose > sheathe, and I recently used Teamcraft to set up a crafting macro when I was making several dozen Skybuilders' crafts. Which feels a little like cheating, but it's entirely within the tools of the game and besides is exactly the way crafting should work, in my opinion. I've proven I can make the minigame do what I want, I shouldn't need to have to do all the work every time.

crafting is the one big legitimate/non-problematic use of macros outside of utility functions like changing jobs and ui layouts and whatnot

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

There's also some job-specific combat macros that are useful but you still have to be careful with them, since you usually have to spam the key in order for it to work. For Warrior, for example, I use a Shirk macro (allows me to dump the emnity on OT without changing targets), a Holmsgang macro (gets rid of range/target dying issues) and Nascent Flash macro (allows me to use it on OT without targeting them), although for Nascent Flash I have both that button and the standard one just in case. But most of those are not meant to be weaved as an oGCD often, or they allow you to use an ability without being forced to untarget the boss.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Like Clockwork posted:

Pretty sure they would have cracked down on it if they thought it was cheating at this point.

Using macros isn't cheating. On combat jobs - aside from a few exceptions like those in the above post - it's literally the opposite of cheating because they're worse than using the skills directly. That's the exception people were taking with the post that suggested using them, not that they're cheating.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
+1 to the whole "macros for DPS jobs are a terrible idea".
There are some exception to the rule, but in general using macros as a DPS job is a newbie trap that will make the player develop some really bad habits.
What is better is instead putting some work into rearranging skills around your hotbars so that they work with what you are trying to accomplish, and also change the default bind for any skill slot past 5 to something else that is easier to reach (my 6-0 slots I changed to Q E R X Z, which are all easy to click while keeping my fingers on the movement keys)
Additionally, there's plenty of training dummies to test your skills on outside all of the major cities and in plenty of gardens in private and FC houses in the residential districts that are all free to use. Using these training dummies is a great way of not only seeing how a skill works, but also if your skills layout works well for you or needs tweaking (tip: when you are done testing things out, right click on the dummy and select Reset Enmity to get out of combat).

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't mash all oGCDs together in one button, that is terrible advice, but in some cases two OGCds with the same cooldown period can fit together. You trade the inconvenience of hitting two buttons in sequence for the inconvenience of learning to time your un-queue-able macro right after an animation finishes but in time to avoid clipping your next GCD. Now that I think about it I don't actually have any macros on my DPS jobs...but on DRK for example I macro Blood Weapon and Delirium together. Do a GCD attack (I forget which one is fastest), hit the unified buff macro button, enjoy my buffs being up just in time for the next GCD.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

radintorov posted:

(tip: when you are done testing things out, right click on the dummy and select Reset Enmity to get out of combat).

Oh my God, all that time I've wasted running half a mile away just so I could teleport out or practice a different job could have been so easily avoided!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

To be fair you HAD to do that until fairly recently.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

If you're playing dragoon using a macro for dragon sight is fine though. That's probably the most reasonable ability to macro in the game right now.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Dragonsight, offtank defensives/shirk, sprint.

The only combat macros you should need.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Wait, why would you need to macro sprint?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
I macro Mount Roulette, Sprint, and Peloton at once and stick it on R3. Sprint doesn't queue and the other two don't work in combat so it's fine.

e: the only other macros i use in combat are shirk <2> and holmgang <me> for tanking and warrioring

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Offkorn posted:

this is what final fantasy 14 players actually believe

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Unsinkabear posted:

Sprint isn't a weaponskill or ability, so it doesn't queue and it's janky poo poo.

Typically a sprint macro will just be 14 lines of /ac "sprint" or whatever.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Unsinkabear posted:

i did it so i can assign sprint to R3 since you can't assign it directly

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

And here I just click the sprint button

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Sprint isn't a weaponskill or ability, so it doesn't queue and it's janky poo poo.

I don't have any trouble weaving it like any other oGCD, it never fails to fire or cause clipping. Maybe it's ping dependent?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It weaves, but it doesn't queue. It's like a potion.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Offkorn posted:

:siren:DO NOT USE MACROS FOR COMBAT SKILLS:siren:
Not only are they liable to break horribly mid-fight and leave you standing idle/using the wrong skills for however long, but most skills are in intervals of 1.5s or 2.5s by design while macros can only queue up skills on whole seconds, meaning you're losing at least 20% DPS just by using them at all. Macros are for crafting and funny UI stuff ONLY :siren:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

parasyte posted:

I macro Mount Roulette, Sprint, and Peloton at once and stick it on R3.

:aaa:

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Theris posted:

Using macros isn't cheating. On combat jobs - aside from a few exceptions like those in the above post - it's literally the opposite of cheating because they're worse than using the skills directly. That's the exception people were taking with the post that suggested using them, not that they're cheating.

I was responding to someone saying that using macros for crafting specifically felt like cheating, it was an attempt at reassurance.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

parasyte posted:

I macro Mount Roulette, Sprint, and Peloton at once and stick it on R3. Sprint doesn't queue and the other two don't work in combat so it's fine.

This is loving genius

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
The only macro I use is sticking Circle of Scorn and Spirits Within on a single button for PLD to save hotbed space, and I may change back because I dislike mashing it to use both abilities reliably. I can typically weave both in between a GCD on separate buttons, but it's unreliable on a macro.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I played yesterday with a real life friend of mine and I learned that they learned that oGCDs can be used between GCDs for the first time during that play session.

They've beaten Endwalker.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Alxprit posted:

I played yesterday with a real life friend of mine and I learned that they learned that oGCDs can be used between GCDs for the first time during that play session.

They've beaten Endwalker.

Well, it would probably be a good idea for the game to actually explain it directly.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

off gcds are for when you feel like taking some time off from your gcd

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I know why GNB's cartridge spenders all combo off a single button (controller limitations) but it's still frustrating that the game breaks its own established rules for weaponskill combos like that. In a similar vein, why don't SMN's Aetherflow builders just turn into their respective spenders while you have stacks remaining? It's not like there's ever a reason not to use them.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 9, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

I know why GNB's cartridge spenders all combo off a single button (controller limitations) but it's still frustrating that the game breaks its own established rules for weaponskill combos like that. In a similar vein, why don't SMN's Aetherflow builders just turn into their respective spenders while you have stacks remaining? It's not like there's ever a reason not to use them.

I think this is one of the reasons I argued hard that SAM's DPS combo should be 3 buttons instead of 8 in the past. I liked the fact that GNB's single-target spender triggered off two buttons that changed contexts based on where you were in the chain. I never want to use my SAM skills out of order, so why not just save some button bloat then and there? Instead of removing my spinny sword oGCD? :mad:

I get that the button press order is part of the intended gameplay or whatever.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I still don't know why Goring Blade says "This weaponskill does not share a recast timer with any other actions."

Most skills don't, why do they specify there?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I think that means it's not affected by skill speed but I'm probably wrong.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I still don't know why Goring Blade says "This weaponskill does not share a recast timer with any other actions."

Most skills don't, why do they specify there?

Goring blade is a weaponskill which means it triggers the 2.5s global cool down, but it also has its own 60s cool down independent of that. The tooltip is saying that using goring blade won't put all your other weapon skills on CD for 60s

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mainwaring posted:

Goring blade is a weaponskill which means it triggers the 2.5s global cool down, but it also has its own 60s cool down independent of that. The tooltip is saying that using goring blade won't put all your other weapon skills on CD for 60s

It's been a while since I looked, but I think most or all GCD abilities with a non-GCD cooldown have that on them? Since all GCD skills are affected by that 2.5s cooldown AND it can be reduced by skill speed, they want to make clear that the longer fixed cooldowns do not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mainwaring posted:

Okay, so I assume any weaponskill with a cooldown beyond the GCD says that? I must not have classes with them leveled up.