Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Is there a thread on SA specifically geared towards console hardware discussion? (Specifically modding and troubleshooting?) I couldn't find one in either here or SH/SC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

acksplode posted:

Waiting to see more on gameplay before I get too excited but so far this looks like a cool twist on a survival/crafting game. Exploring a creepy PNW in a station wagon customized from salvaged scrap is a good premise.

This looks really cool and yeah can’t wait to learn more.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

AlternateNu posted:

Is there a thread on SA specifically geared towards console hardware discussion? (Specifically modding and troubleshooting?) I couldn't find one in either here or SH/SC.

There's a console homebrew thread, seems mostly Nintendo oriented, and maybe some stuff in retro games

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837908&userid=0&perpage=40&highlight=console,modding&pagenumber=1

edit;

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837622&userid=0&perpage=40&highlight=console,modding&pagenumber=1

What's up?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
QoP and I both watched Tampopo today therefore I think that counts as relevant enough to tell you all to watch Tampopo, the best food movie ever made

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Tampopo rules. I could use some ramen. Or at least a ramen emoticon

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

My cousin got me a "refurbished" dualsense for Christmas, and it wasn't charging. (It would glow orange as if it was charging when plugged in, but would turn off after a couple minutes and would not turn on the console remotely.) Figured it was a borked battery. So, I ordered a new one since I wanted to upgrade the capacity on it, anyway. Fast forward to today when I finally got a chance to crack the thing open. New battery...same issue. I've ruled out the USB port on the PS5 and the cabling since everything works perfectly with my other dualsense. (Comms, power, charging, etc.)

Whip out my multimeter. Old battery dead at 0V. New battery looks good at 3.9V. When plugged in, I'm getting 1.7V from the USB port to the board. 0 ohms from the battery port to the rest of the board. I read the full 3.9Vs at the battery port before it hits the regulator when the battery installed. Controller will turn on when plugged in (with battery installed). But still not remotely. Will not turn on without the battery inserted, even if plugged in.

The only thing I can think of is that there is a short which prevents the board from getting power from the battery but will get it from the USB port......and this short only happens once something in plugged into the battery slot? Its as if the battery port is just acting like a switch. (Like, if I just stuck a three pin male JST into the battery port with the red and black leads shorted, it would still work plugged in.) The issue being, I'm not even sure what voltages I should be reading or where the key points on the board I should be looking at (beyond the ones I already mentioned). So, I was looking if anyone had any insight on the board architecture and what voltages I SHOULD be seeing across it.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 10, 2023

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Persona 4 Golden... finished!

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Escobarbarian posted:

QoP and I both watched Tampopo today therefore I think that counts as relevant enough to tell you all to watch Tampopo, the best food movie ever made

One of the best films made. Have you ever seen any of Juzo Itami's other movies? Somehow haven't gotten around to it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

AlternateNu posted:

My cousin got me a "refurbished" dualsense for Christmas, and it wasn't charging. (It would glow orange as if it was charging when plugged in, but would turn off after a couple minutes and would not turn on the console remotely.) Figured it was a borked battery. So, I ordered a new one since I wanted to upgrade the capacity on it, anyway. Fast forward to today when I finally got a chance to crack the thing open. New battery...same issue. I've ruled out the USB port on the PS5 and the cabling since everything works perfectly with my other dualsense. (Comms, power, charging, etc.)

Whip out my multimeter. Old battery dead at 0V. New battery looks good at 3.9V. When plugged in, I'm getting 1.7V from the USB port to the board. 0 ohms from the battery port to the rest of the board. I read the full 3.9Vs at the battery port before it hits the regulator when the battery installed. Controller will turn on when plugged in (with battery installed). But still not remotely. Will not turn on without the battery inserted, even if plugged in.

The only thing I can think of is that there is a short which prevents the board from getting power from the battery but will get it from the USB port......and this short only happens once something in plugged into the battery slot? Its as if the battery port is just acting like a switch. (Like, if I just stuck a three pin male JST into the battery port with the red and black leads shorted, it would still work plugged in.) The issue being, I'm not even sure what voltages I should be reading or where the key points on the board I should be looking at (beyond the ones I already mentioned). So, I was looking if anyone had any insight on the board architecture and what voltages I SHOULD be seeing across it.

Your best bet with this is going on the PlayStation subreddit, electrical engineering subreddit, or asking in SHSC for an electrical engineer to help you out. It’s definitely an issue with the board that normally wouldn’t be worth dealing with unless you have experience repairing this sort of thing.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is it worth it to pick up Hogwarts Legacy's deluxe edition or just go for the standard?

I'm liking the dark wizard robes but if I can pick them up in-game, that'd be cool.

Also, is it worth preordering it if you don't know poo poo about Harry Potter's books, movies, or games?

I don't know if that special mount is preorder only or not.

Thanks!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is it worth it to pick up Hogwarts Legacy's deluxe edition or just go for the standard?

I'm liking the dark wizard robes but if I can pick them up in-game, that'd be cool.

Also, is it worth preordering it if you don't know poo poo about Harry Potter's books, movies, or games?

Thanks!

i dont know maybe ask in the hogfarts thread

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It's not worth getting at all, hth

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

It's not worth getting at all, hth

:hmmyes:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i dont know maybe ask in the hogfarts thread

Oh. I didn't see there was one.

Thanks, I'll ask in there.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The free bonus Jett campaign is out, and it's... better? There is far less NPC dialog and noninteractive bits where they grab camera control, you're exploring mostly alone. The physics puzzles are less annoying since they give you more space and tolerance for them. There is a button to disable the afterburner minigame, so you can just cruise around now in a somewhat more chill manner. It's still pretty obtuse and uses too much bizarre language for its own sake, and I can't figure out if there's a way to have it tell you where certain resources are so I don't have to search dozens of square miles for them by eye, but if this had been present at launch instead of the base campaign maybe this game would have made any kind of splash at all. I really want to like it, but it just didn't pull it off what it promised and still has too many rough edges

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

haveblue posted:

The free bonus Jett campaign is out, and it's... better? There is far less NPC dialog and noninteractive bits where they grab camera control, you're exploring mostly alone. The physics puzzles are less annoying since they give you more space and tolerance for them. There is a button to disable the afterburner minigame, so you can just cruise around now in a somewhat more chill manner. It's still pretty obtuse and uses too much bizarre language for its own sake, and I can't figure out if there's a way to have it tell you where certain resources are so I don't have to search dozens of square miles for them by eye, but if this had been present at launch instead of the base campaign maybe this game would have made any kind of splash at all. I really want to like it, but it just didn't pull it off what it promised and still has too many rough edges

Yo I'm playing the Jett bonus campaign too. I'm one of the few people that actually finished the main game and got the platinum too.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnbudDu7esw

this looks so awesome

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Thanks!

At this point, the Hogwarts thread is actually just for venting anger related to the transphobia and antisemitism problems in the franchise. Its OP is a good read if you want to educate yourself on how royalties for the game might be used by Rowling. No one in there will help you discern differences in edition bonuses, they might try to spoil the story.

So, the answer is the bonuses cannot be acquired in-game, but they're only cosmetic. As they're only cosmetic, you might consider not pre-ordering and buying a used copy if you want to avoid contributing to Rowling's royalty paycheck.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 10, 2023

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I really hope this is good, it’s such a fun idea for a game.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh. I didn't see there was one.

Thanks, I'll ask in there.

I’m lmaoing in anticipation.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Oh man, this sounds good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

This is one of those posts where I read the first paragraph and crack my fingers like "ol' Veni is gonna solve this", then I keep reading and realize that you know way, way more about this poo poo than I do and I slink back into my corner.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Quote-Unquote posted:

drat GT7 takes longer to let you play the drat game than Yakuza, huh?

This is the worst thing GT7 does.

Before you install from disc, turn your PS5 internet adapter off. It'll still take a while, but it won't take up to literal days while it loads for a few minutes and then goes to sleep.

If you bought it as digital, eh, it's just huge and it'll take a while to download the hundred-something gigs.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Pacific Drive looks like it would be perfect for VR

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Beat Forspoken. I might write up more thoughts later. It was a refreshing experience. A lot of good ideas, good execution, but some warts. They clearly ran low on budget. I hope it gets a sequel.

The games flaws are way overblown and nit-picky. I think a decent chunk of criticism is in good faith, but the toxicity really sucks. By my count it is the first black women character lead of a major new IP, ever. I think it would be naive to suggest it didn’t influence this games reception.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Got drat Final Fantasy Kill Chaos is fun. I’m two main levels in and the combat is so fluid and enjoyable. FF1 on NES was one of my first games evs so I’m also loving both the overall adapting of it into something new but the little details that connect it directly to the NES, like the warriors of light having names no more than four letters long or the homage to the “your journey begins” screen as you start the game proper.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Mean Baby posted:

Beat Forspoken. I might write up more thoughts later. It was a refreshing experience. A lot of good ideas, good execution, but some warts. They clearly ran low on budget. I hope it gets a sequel.

The games flaws are way overblown and nit-picky. I think a decent chunk of criticism is in good faith, but the toxicity really sucks. By my count it is the first black women character lead of a major new IP, ever. I think it would be naive to suggest it didn’t influence this games reception.

Yeah once you start doing post game cleanup you realize the campaign only takes you through a tiny part of the world map (like 20%)

This game definitely got hit hard because of the toxicity, the bad pc performance and the crignr dialog but the combat system is one of the best fluid magic systems I've played. It's a blast magic parkouring all over the place when you get more of the movesets.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Thanks!

The version to get has a weird title on the store, search for "Dead Space", and you'll see a picture of a dude wearing a helmet. That's the one you want.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

veni veni veni posted:

FWIW I do think the actual driving feels great. The wall of turds surrounding actually having fun is like a fortress though.

I bought it cause I want a racing game to play in PSVR 2 and I didn't realize how lame Gran Turismo was cause I haven't played one since I was 12.

Just catching up and this is such an awful opinion lol

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

At this point, the Hogwarts thread is actually just for venting anger related to the transphobia and antisemitism problems in the franchise. Its OP is a good read if you want to educate yourself on how royalties for the game might be used by Rowling. No one in there will help you discern differences in edition bonuses, they might try to spoil the story.

So, the answer is the bonuses cannot be acquired in-game, but they're only cosmetic. As they're only cosmetic, you might consider not pre-ordering and buying a used copy if you want to avoid contributing to Rowling's royalty paycheck.

Yah, I'd rather just buy a used copy and watch some videos on YouTube...if anyone plays it cause apparently people are getting bullied not to. I read an article about what happened to Girlfriend Reviews.

Thanks for the answer!

Mean Baby posted:

I’m lmaoing in anticipation.

First three responses were how no, I shouldn't buy the game and they will help me find another. :v:

Hector Delgado posted:

The version to get has a weird title on the store, search for "Dead Space", and you'll see a picture of a dude wearing a helmet. That's the one you want.

I swear I asked about this game in this thread...or maybe it was REVIII. I think it was that. I might get Dead Space though since the last time I played it, it was on mobile like...10+ years ago or something.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

First three responses were how no, I shouldn't buy the game and they will help me find another. :v:

Yeah Forspoken is much better get that rather than the pogrom sim.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yah, I'd rather just buy a used copy and watch some videos on YouTube...if anyone plays it cause apparently people are getting bullied not to. I read an article about what happened to Girlfriend Reviews.

Thanks for the answer!

I swear I asked about this game in this thread...or maybe it was REVIII. I think it was that. I might get Dead Space though since the last time I played it, it was on mobile like...10+ years ago or something.

Hogwarts broke some records for most watched single player game in twitch history or something, so there will be no shortage of videos.

The Dead Space Remake is utterly fantastic. I’d strongly recommend it if you liked the original or just the genre at all.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mean Baby posted:

Totally agree on all points, it's a cool, unusual, earnest game that didn't deserve to be tarred based on misguided marketing alone. The toxicity reached a new low on this one. I'm glad Square are going all in on supporting it for performance improvements and DLC this year.

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah once you start doing post game cleanup you realize the campaign only takes you through a tiny part of the world map (like 20%)

This game definitely got hit hard because of the toxicity, the bad pc performance and the crignr dialog but the combat system is one of the best fluid magic systems I've played. It's a blast magic parkouring all over the place when you get more of the movesets.

The magic system is insanely expansive and fun, I love it so much. I think it was during Senseless Servant that I sort of just sat forward in my seat and started flowing so hard that I was cackling to myself. There aren't many games on the market -or period- that play like it. I'd love to see what SunhiLegend could do with this game, but his content has slowed dramatically since he started working at Guerilla.

Fifteen of Many posted:

Got drat Final Fantasy Kill Chaos is fun. I’m two main levels in and the combat is so fluid and enjoyable. FF1 on NES was one of my first games evs so I’m also loving both the overall adapting of it into something new but the little details that connect it directly to the NES, like the warriors of light having names no more than four letters long or the homage to the “your journey begins” screen as you start the game proper.

SoP, another example of Square kicking major rear end.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Feb 10, 2023

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rental Sting posted:

One of the best films made. Have you ever seen any of Juzo Itami's other movies? Somehow haven't gotten around to it.

I saw The Funeral yesterday too cos a cinema over here did a double bill (extremely good as well!) and have previously seen Supermarket Woman (a little too long but as delightful and whimsical as Tampopo)

Girlfriend Reviews deserved what they got. Hopefully it stops them from wanting to make any more of their awful goddamn videos ever again lmao

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Escobarbarian posted:

Girlfriend Reviews deserved what they got. Hopefully it stops them from wanting to make any more of their awful goddamn videos ever again lmao

Oh man, what did they get?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A bunch of poo poo for streaming terf game, the guy started ranting about the “alt-left” and the girl started crying, and they said “this is worse than with the last of us 2 because it’s coming from people we admire”, like they didn’t think that should lead to any introspection whatsoever

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I went right from Dead Space remake into Metroid Prime Remastered on Switch. Space action games rule, although tonally they're very different.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Rageaholic posted:

I went right from Dead Space remake into Metroid Prime Remastered on Switch. Space action games rule, although tonally they're very different.

Might try to get into the Metroid franchise this year :blastu:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kilometers Davis posted:

Might try to get into the Metroid franchise this year :blastu:
This is my first time playing through Prime all the way! I played it briefly on a friend's GameCube like 20 years ago but never finished it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Enjoying Metroid Prime Remastered a lot so far, and its so shocking and great that they both put effort into it AND didn’t charge full price. So glad to finally be playing it