Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Since Mathmech is apparently the deck to beat at the moment in MD, what works well against it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Kaiju and the ability to attack for more than 3k.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

DD Crow and similar effects.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

HUNGRY BURGER SUPPORT

https://twitter.com/yu_gi_oh_jp/status/1623517048281104384?s=20

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

What a time to be alive

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
That doesn't look like a loving burger to me. :colbert:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Neo_Crimson posted:

That doesn't look like a loving burger to me. :colbert:

They're making a burger in the trap card, these are the chefs who cook the burger.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

All of them also have 1850 DEF, the same as da burger. If not support it's definitely a reference.

EDIT: NEVERMIND THE COUNTER TRAP NUKES THE BOARD IF YOU SUMMON THE BURGER.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

The level 6 also turns your burgers into kaijus.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Balache404 posted:

All of them also have 1850 DEF, the same as da burger. If not support it's definitely a reference.

EDIT: NEVERMIND THE COUNTER TRAP NUKES THE BOARD IF YOU SUMMON THE BURGER.

....if Hungry Burger is Special summoned... banish this card... TRIBUTE as many monsters your opponent controls as possible??

Lmao

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
The actual gimmick seems to be rank-climbing but with Rituals and using tributes for removal.

It looks fun, though not all that good.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Stupid loving burger i hate it lol, i had so many copies of that card as a kid, worthless!!!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

An archetype of searchable kaijus that tribute as a quick effect has a field spell that recycles and draws your cards that also benefits from all the good ritual support is going to be at least playable if not actually good.

Especially since climbing levels allows you to set all of your opponent's monsters to attack position and then the next one negates the effect of all face up cards on your opponents side of the field.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 9, 2023

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
More kaiju is always welcomed.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

An archetype of searchable kaijus that tribute as a quick effect has a field spell that recycles and draws your cards that also benefits from all the good ritual support is going to be at least playable if not actually good.

Especially since climbing levels allows you to set all of your opponent's monsters to attack position and then the next one negates the effect of all face up cards on your opponents side of the field.

This is either a recipe (badump-tish) for a better Unchained or a worse Unchained, depending entirely on if the kaiju-ing is negateable or not.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

gently caress yes i’ll be playing hungry burger in 2023 :getin:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

There is a big issue here, they don't do the one thing you generally play Kaiju over other removal for. Since they're targetting they don't get around most towers.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Lord_Magmar posted:

There is a big issue here, they don't do the one thing you generally play Kaiju over other removal for. Since they're targetting they don't get around most towers.
You negate those tower with the lv 6 before you burger them.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lord_Magmar posted:

No they trigger on 'something' being targeted. But the tributes aside from the L5 arent targeted.
This deck is uncounterable removal.dek

From what i understand the tribute on the l1-4 is a cost, only the L5 and the traps banish effect are considered tributes by way of effect.
Theyre not costs, which means they can be negated on activation.
Still
Absolutely Not terrible because it means you can interact with any card your opponent has that targets while still laddering your rituals

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 9, 2023

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

Kaijus don't also come with full board negates. They're gonna be fine.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I went and made sure, none of them actually get around Towers (although not for the reason I stated to be fair). All the tributing is for effect, so "unaffected by other monster effects" still protects you from every single one of them.

Kaiju's tribute for cost, not as part of their effect resolution.

They'll probably still be fine, but nothing they natively do removes an actual Towers. The specific wording they use is "do A" and if you do, "do B" which means both parts are an effect where B is reliant on A but A is not reliant on B.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 9, 2023

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Legit the worst part of new card reveals is the cycle of someone saying "Oh these seem neat and playable" and some embodiment of the phrase locker stuffer breaks in with the stunning fact that "Hmm yes but they cannot natively handle every single thing in the card game. I'm sure they'll be usable but they have counters".

Yes. Obviously. That's how most card design works and is supposed to work ya goofus. you don't have to comment on every technicality you see. Somethings are just assumed.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 9, 2023

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Looks like we’ve got the MD anniversary event coming… on Valentine’s Day

https://www.masterduelmeta.com/articles/news/february-09-2023/master-duel-1st-anniversary

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Regalingualius posted:

Looks like we’ve got the MD anniversary event coming… on Valentine’s Day

https://www.masterduelmeta.com/articles/news/february-09-2023/master-duel-1st-anniversary

Relationships are temporary, card games are forever.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Just had a major fivehead play that I was really proud of - I activated Maxx "C" on my opponent's turn, they had Called by the Grave, and in response I chained Beetrooper Sting Lancer to shuffle back the Maxx "C" and one of their cards. My opponent proceeded to play their turn as normal, only to surrender when they realised they were filling my hand and that Maxx "C" wasn't negated.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
It sounds like the Hungry Burger stuff is trying to fix the Unchained problem while still having the Unchained problem; having tools to negate effects sort of answers the problem of having your opponent-sacrificing effects be respondable, but it still leaves a massive hole in your gameplan.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to compare them both to Kaijus, because they both kinda read like the 'less good but more mechanically robust replacement' for a banned card, like the many 'draw 2' Pots... except that Kaijus never got banned. So you just have to sit and ask why you're playing this deck, when Kaijus can do the deck's main draw even better. Both decks probably have valid answers for that (Unchained's real draw is in its strength off card destruction, and the ability to go into Accesscode Talker off your opponent's cards), but they need to have them.

I just got a little sad at realizing that while the main draw of Unchained is a cool way of building to a link 4, it's not even their link 4. Abomination doesn't actually help them in making any meaningful plays and has absolutely no protection nor payoff for being destroyed; at least Accesscode gives them big numbers and a level of protection.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm just trying to figure out the flavour of tributing the opponent's stuff when something gets targeted. Obviously the summon is moving on to the next course, but beyond that I'm lost. It's no Suship that's for sure

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Dabir posted:

I'm just trying to figure out the flavour of tributing the opponent's stuff when something gets targeted. Obviously the summon is moving on to the next course, but beyond that I'm lost. It's no Suship that's for sure

If we go by Arc-V logic, they're probably stuffing the opponent's monsters so full they die.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dabir posted:

They're your ingredients for the next course.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Nouvellez setup is pretty strong on paper. If you can summon the level 3 monster and trigger its effect to go into the level 5 (you'll need a way to target it, and another monster to tribute) you'll get:
- a card draw
- an omninegate countertrap
- a tribute on an opponent's attack position monster
- if you do that, you'll also get to negate your opponent's entire field, and tribute all their monsters
- and if you play Hungry Burger you can also tribute one of their attack position guys and their entire field again

I could also see the 5 and 6 fitting in as a small package for breaking boards in a Ritual Pile deck.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Master Duel has finally left beta. Lots of UI improvements, along with the title screen now terrifying people with "light mode". Expect a lot of datamine news soon.

Oh, and Ash Blossom has an animation now. :v:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sprights are coming to MD, baby

As is Change of Heart for some reason

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Sprights are coming to MD, baby

As is Change of Heart for some reason

Because it got unbanned in the real game and has done next to nothing.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
XYZ Event is returning, along with a DM-era Protags event, with Blue Eyes/Red Eyes/Dark Magician loaner decks apparently.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Quick, what's the dumbest, least practical thing Sprights actually do lose to? I demand phenomenally stupid counterplay.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Quick, what's the dumbest, least practical thing Sprights actually do lose to? I demand phenomenally stupid counterplay.

Melffy Spright. I don't mean using melffy's to make sprights I mean using them to pump up your board and win with Staring contest

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
https://www.masterduelmeta.com/articles/news/february-09-2023/master-duel-datamines

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

https://ygorganization.com/believeinnexusoverthenexus/

THE GODDAMN CRIMSON DRAGON IS REAL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
So, there maybe something else to be keeping an eye on come the next update to Master Duel.

https://twitter.com/MasterDuelSite/status/1623870159868903425

One more dragon ruler is okay... right?