Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

slurm posted:

Definitely not going to eat or drink anything they give me

But you've hardly touched your ice cold mountain stream water. That giardia isn't gonna drink itself, boyo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
A customer is complaining that our telematics system is not updating any data. We have decided to get to the bottom of this by combing through telematics data.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Machai posted:

Are you the dumb poo poo your work does?

I think so:ssh:

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

But you've hardly touched your ice cold mountain stream water. That giardia isn't gonna drink itself, boyo.

How do you know how Giardia behaves? Are you the president of water born illnesses? Maybe they do drink themselves prior to causing severe colitis.

Bored fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 9, 2023

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

slurm posted:

On the nature of the hose, I once had a job where a generator had been assembled incorrectly and the injectors were seized into the heads. The heads had to be removed from the generator and the injectors beaten out with a large sledge and a steel drift. Unfortunately we only had one hydraulic jack to remove the head nuts, and as we were putting the first of nine heads back on it gave up the ghost. For the next month, 7 days a week, from 1730-2330 on top of our normal workday we had to work to make hydraulic jack rebuild kits from things lying around. There were 3 of us and we continued at our futile task diligently and once or twice even got a nut torqued down. Everyone spent many hours trying to splice o-rings and hand cut backing rings from various sheet materials. At the end of the month we'd spent $35,000 in overtime and incurred significant trouble with two different regulators over working hours violations. When the jack rebuild kits finally came in the generator was back together in an hour with the proper 4 jacks at a time going down the line.

Sometimes, you'd better just wait for the hose.

I think we work for the same place, at least in spirit.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Bored posted:

I think so:ssh:

How do you know how Giardia behaves? Are you the president of water born illnesses? Maybe they do drink themselves prior to causing severe colitis.

I'll have you know that I am the Senior Executive Vice Chaplain of all Prayers Uttered While making GBS threads Yourself Half to Death. Most of my work is helping people through moderate to severe examples of Bidirectional Gastrointestinal Distress regardless of source. You've never seen someone speedrun the seven stages of grief in one afternoon until you've seen a hiker in the woods with Giardia run out of toilet paper.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Super Waffle posted:

Had an interview yesterday and absolutely killed it. This job is a 10 minute commute, has way more interesting and high-profile work, and would be a $30k raise. Lets hope things pan out, I cannot wait to hand in my notice.

Congrats!

Do you live in a Waffle House-themed house or is that more a headquarters/lair?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

goatface posted:

Tech dudes love starting a hobby brewery.

Tech dudes and engineers seem to be always convinced they can do anything without experience by applying first principles and logic and researching hard enough.

I know this is how they think because I've got self-diagnosed engineer brain and constantly get myself into trouble that starts with, 'Oh come on, it can't be that hard I'm sure there's a youtube video'.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Outrail posted:

Tech dudes and engineers seem to be always convinced they can do anything without experience by applying first principles and logic and researching hard enough.

I know this is how they think because I've got self-diagnosed engineer brain and constantly get myself into trouble that starts with, 'Oh come on, it can't be that hard I'm sure there's a youtube video'.

The brewery bug hits people of all walks of life. It's a curious thing. I know of one local brewery co-started by an ex military guy who came back and decided that was his dream, even though he didn't brew or share brews before starting it.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Outrail posted:

Oh no! I have latent engineer brain! Tbf, it’s generally artsy stuff I apply it to and I expect to fail the first multiple times.

Bored fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 9, 2023

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Lol, my fortune 500 company is no longer paying custodians to pick up trash.

I ain't fuckin' doin it.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I ain't fuckin' doin it.

Update that resume, this happened at a hospital I worked at and two weeks later we heard we'd gotten bought. Our new overlords tried to implement a one minute late = no call no show with no clocking in early allowed. My dept was outsourced shortly thereafter for "cost cutting".

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

JnnyThndrs posted:

I think we work for the same place, at least in spirit.

It was a rough month but at least I got a story, and thinking about it, 12 grand

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Outrail posted:

Congrats!

Do you live in a Waffle House-themed house or is that more a headquarters/lair?

Super Waffle is actually interviewing to be the new Waffle House Index

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I ain't fuckin' doin it.

"My" fortune 500 company quietly stopped cleaning the bathrooms 2x/day (a "covid precaution") a few months ago. I stand in pee now everyday. It's cool.

Their stock price and revenue just won't stop climbing.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

I ain't fuckin' doin it.

Wtf, is that legal? :psyduck:

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

YeahTubaMike posted:

Wtf, is that legal? :psyduck:

Yeah, it's also not in my job description to take out the trash so when the bag gets full, I'm gonna leave it in the executive wing.

Gonna scope out the camera situation Monday.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Had to complete the conflicts of interest training today. The section on office relationships, every single relationship that needed to be reported was gay.

Hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

Had to complete the conflicts of interest training today. The section on office relationships, every single relationship that needed to be reported was gay.

Hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

My workplace trainings seem to skip over the fact gay people exist at all, pick your corporate poison.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

satanic splash-back posted:

My workplace trainings seem to skip over the fact gay people exist at all, pick your corporate poison.

True

Ours is america-culturally tinged sometimes subtly because of things like while they put in a healthy mix of people of all ethnicities and orientations in it, all the names especially for black people, are noticeably american. Its also American cultured because there is a pause break to ask your nationality and if you put in America you get bonus content. Yay!!

For the record, we have no offices in the US

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Someone sent this email to my company's entire office staff in the corporate building... like 300+ people:

I am still trying to figure out what the hell those first two lines mean. One hell of a long winded and cordial email for something that could be stated in like 2 sentences without screwing up the grammar a few times. Is he complaining about not being able to work remotely or something? Corporate office workers are so weird, man.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Very strong M'Glasses! energy

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

We've been trying to unfuck out process for imaging computers for a while - when asset management first tried to get us to start handling the imaging, getting one computer done took like 4 hours. And also had a failure rate of like 50% because no one wanted to fix it. Today it seemed like a fistfight was going to break out between two of the guys on my team completely burned out on this problem that shouldn't even be our problem because one dude could not get it into his head that we finally had the means to install office offline.

Just fifteen minutes of one dude accurately describing the situation - the newest image has ALL the files needed and everything sets up automatically and offline - and the other dude say "I understand, BUT Office can't be installed offline" endlessly, with increasingly raised voices until one gave up and ate a Snickers.

All because none of the people on other teams that should be responsible for this want to figure out how to unfuck our network.

On the bright side, the process now takes about a half hour and only rarely fails. At least until the security teams figure out all the unauthorized, unapproved applications we've installed and the unmanaged router that got hooked up in the server closet so we can actually get updated images in less than a week (previously the only dude able to get it had to download it on a loving mifi because he lives in the middle of nowhere, then physically come to the office with it on new USB drives or some poo poo).

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

We ran out of pale ale really fast. I wish I could make more like right now, but it looks like that'll have to wait until next month. Weirdly, it seems like the bière de Noël (hon hon hon!) is pretty popular. The bartender told me a lot of customers order seconds. So that's nice. We have such an odd customer base. The tropical IPA took a long time to sell (may not have been my best) but we sold half of the Belgian dark strong in about a month. Also, the weird French beer is selling well, and the best part was we didn't pay for any of the ingredients for it!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Toxic Mental posted:

Is he complaining about not being able to work remotely or something?

Basically what it looks like, yeah. Passive-aggressively throwing shade on the idea of coming into the office by noting that he lost his glasses there, what a drat shame, wouldn't have been an issue if he'd been working from home.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Toxic Mental posted:

Someone sent this email to my company's entire office staff in the corporate building... like 300+ people:

I am still trying to figure out what the hell those first two lines mean. One hell of a long winded and cordial email for something that could be stated in like 2 sentences without screwing up the grammar a few times. Is he complaining about not being able to work remotely or something? Corporate office workers are so weird, man.

guy writes like an NPC in an email you find on a computer in deus ex

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

ben shapino posted:

guy writes like an NPC in an email you find on a computer in deus ex

We have one of those

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Please advise

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Outrail posted:

I mean, this is a true statement. But "researching hard enough" means at least half a decade, better make it a full one, studying and researching the topic full time, preferably with access to a wide selection of teachers to explain poo poo and ask questions. Not five weeks at Google University and three hours (cumulative) thinking about the problem hard on the toilet.

Oh wait no that half a decade absolutely counts as experience nevermind I guess it is a dumb statement even in principle, not only in application.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

TotalLossBrain posted:

Please advise

I've only ever used that on one boss. Why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9dmoT9AfoI

When we first met, his recap of his career ended in 1993 in Pretoria and picked up again in London in 1994. :iiam:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Ah poo poo. I must have bumped the blow off valve just slightly and killed the carb I got from spunding the bière de Mars!

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Escape From Noise posted:

Ah poo poo. I must have bumped the blow off valve just slightly and killed the carb I got from spunding the bière de Mars!

Do you have a way to pin it on the chef?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I imagine that Brewery/Restaurant will one day just burn down to hide the corpses that happened.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Do you have a way to pin it on the chef?

It's not the biggest deal. I'll just have to carb it from a canister and the carb won't be as nice and delicate. (Hon! Hon! Hon!).

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i have to do a lot of corporate training but i couldnt tell you if any of them have offensive/problematic content or not.

2x, mute, background the window (or move out of view if it detects backgrounding), randomly quick through any quizzes til it passes, repeat until finished

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

thathonkey posted:

i have to do a lot of corporate training but i couldnt tell you if any of them have offensive/problematic content or not.

2x, mute, background the window (or move out of view if it detects backgrounding), randomly quick through any quizzes til it passes, repeat until finished

There is some other way to do corporate BS training that has no penalty for failing the quiz?

My personal pet peeve on these is when they include the “check all that apply”, especially when they include program numbers.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Orvin posted:

There is some other way to do corporate BS training that has no penalty for failing the quiz?

My personal pet peeve on these is when they include the “check all that apply”, especially when they include program numbers.

Sometimes if you click tab it will cycle through interactive images on the slide and you might find a way to skip ahead. Quiz answers are usually “all of the above” or the one with the most text. If letting it run in the background, don’t leave it open too long or it might time out and lose your progress (depends on the program.)

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Orvin posted:

there was no penalty for failing the mandatory yearly cGDP/cGMP tests at the drug factory, except that your supes saw how many times you had to take it, and that would absolutely directly factor into your eventual termination

just watching people take the cGDP quiz to get >80% like 7-8 times as their lead, gritting my teeth and thinking, "THIS IS LITERALLY WHAT YOU DO ALL NIGHT AND WHY MY LIFE IS A loving NIGHTMARE"

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

One of the people replacing me on my old team is a 30 something with a bunch of customer facing experience from a number of other companies and from the most part he and I did a lot of training on calls so I didn't see much of his written communication. He CC'd me on an email to one of our vendors today with the words: "Pls let me knw when we can have expect respon. date."

Just absolutely no way. Most of our communication is email based due to how many attachments and images we need to send back and forth and in the limited exchanges we had over IM and email there wasn't anything this egregious. This is bad, but also not really my problem because I don't work for the team. The problem has been him constantly calling most of this week to ask me to perform actions for him. I get that he's new to the company and that he doesn't have access to some things yet, but I've explained to him multiple times that I no longer work for that team, so I'm not going to send out requests for quote, I'm not going to change dates on orders, I'm not going to issue new orders, etc. I'm getting at least a couple IMs a day asking to do his job for him and have asked my former boss to reign him in on this, there are people on the team who are supposed to help him out on these things. Hasn't slowed him down at all.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Omobono posted:

I mean, this is a true statement. But "researching hard enough" means at least half a decade, better make it a full one, studying and researching the topic full time, preferably with access to a wide selection of teachers to explain poo poo and ask questions. Not five weeks at Google University and three hours (cumulative) thinking about the problem hard on the toilet.

Oh wait no that half a decade absolutely counts as experience nevermind I guess it is a dumb statement even in principle, not only in application.

You're being pedantic. Obviously I'm not talking about people who dedicate half a decade to master something.

I'm talking about idiot techbros who think they can master anything by reading a bunch of Reddit and Wikipedia articles and just going for it.

E: not just techbros, lots of people are idiots.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lazyfire posted:

One of the people replacing me on my old team is a 30 something with a bunch of customer facing experience from a number of other companies and from the most part he and I did a lot of training on calls so I didn't see much of his written communication. He CC'd me on an email to one of our vendors today with the words: "Pls let me knw when we can have expect respon. date."

Just absolutely no way. Most of our communication is email based due to how many attachments and images we need to send back and forth and in the limited exchanges we had over IM and email there wasn't anything this egregious. This is bad, but also not really my problem because I don't work for the team. The problem has been him constantly calling most of this week to ask me to perform actions for him. I get that he's new to the company and that he doesn't have access to some things yet, but I've explained to him multiple times that I no longer work for that team, so I'm not going to send out requests for quote, I'm not going to change dates on orders, I'm not going to issue new orders, etc. I'm getting at least a couple IMs a day asking to do his job for him and have asked my former boss to reign him in on this, there are people on the team who are supposed to help him out on these things. Hasn't slowed him down at all.

Are you actually responding to the IMs or just ignoring them? Because if you're answering, you should stop. Not even an "I don't work on that team, you'll have to ask someone else". Just... Nothing.