Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Don't do it.

In general, never accept barters on CL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Do quality full-size headphones with a built-in mic exist? They're for exclusive use with a gaming PC, budget is ~$500.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

If you already have Wired headphones you like, you may be able to buy a cable with an in line mic.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Peteyfoot posted:

Do quality full-size headphones with a built-in mic exist? They're for exclusive use with a gaming PC, budget is ~$500.

https://drop.com/buy/drop-epos-pc38x-gaming-headset

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

I have the Sennheiser badged version, solid headset in my opinion and its low impedance will work on just about everything.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Peteyfoot posted:

I have these,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09FPFN78X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

EPOS Audio H6PRO Open Acoustic Gaming Headset (Racing Green) that I got open box for $95 and they are absolutely fantastic. I wasn't sure on the open design but I actually prefer it at this point. The closed version is also great.

They also come with two different cables so if you want to use them with your console you can as well. The mic is also detachable which is handy.

IMO they are really really well made and easily worth the open box price of $100.

Edit: I actually ended up getting two pair of these. One for my PC and one for downstairs for the xbox / ps5 and have no regrets. They really sound great.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 5, 2023

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

NewFatMike posted:

If you already have Wired headphones you like, you may be able to buy a cable with an in line mic.

This or a boom attachment. I have a ModMic and it's as good or better than any mic I've had on $100+ headsets.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

NewFatMike posted:

An entire pint of beer I had just brought down to my desk. Been a spillboy my whole life.
God Hates Beer Boiz

have a buddy who ruined a mechanical keyboard at a lan party when his webcam fell off his case and knocked over his four loko, which was pretty funny in hindsight

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Thanks for the recommendations! I think that ModMic is a perfect fit for me, I had no idea it existed!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Veloxyll posted:

So, I ripped the audio cable out of my headphones this morning by accident. I have previously tried bluetooth headphones and experienced the FUN of Bluetooth codecs and Windows 10.

If I got a new Windows 11 compatible motherboard and upgraded to that, would that solve matters? Alternatively, are there over-ear headset + microphone combinations that don't do the robot that work with Windows 10.
Lets say for sub-$300 skinny Australian dollars.

https://rode.com/en/headphones/over-ear/nth-100m

But if somehow ripping cables out of headphones is something you do a lot then:

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/moki-navigator-noise-cancelling-wireless-over-ear-headphones-grey-volume-limited

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

I recently bought the Truthear Hola to see if it would be a good replacement for the Moondrop Chu I use as my beater IEM. The Chu requiring the clunky earhooks to stay wrapped around my ears got annoying, and I wanted to try out one of the $20 Moondrop Aria clones that's the current flavor-of-the-month. The Hola was my pick of one of those clones because I did like the Truthear Zero when I listened to it, and it was $19 on Amazon with Prime shipping available.

The Hola's accessories are good. I'm more critical of accessories at this price point, because bad accessories are how a $25 IEM turns into a $50 IEM, e.g. BLON BL-03. The cable is pretty nice and stays wrapped around my ear, and there were minimal cable microphonics when I was walking around. The eartips work well, and much like the Zero, they're a real pain to put onto the Hola. I like that there's a case included for $20, but it's become more useful for the cough drops I have to carry around right now. The Hola is made of a good plastic, and the bigger shell is more comfortable in my ear than the Chu.

The Hola has a warm, pleasing tonality. The emphasis is on the bass, which is elevated compared to my neutral IEM reference, the Blessing 2 Dusk. The extra bass does work nicely when you're walking outside. A lot of reviewers will call this V-shaped because of the recessed vocal presentation but to my ears, there isn't enough treble on the table for this to qualify as V-shaped. In terms of technical ability, well, it sounds like a $20 IEM. Don't expect miracles here. A warm, not very technical IEM does work well for lower quality sources, like internet radio or poorly mastered albums.

I'd recommend the Hola over the Chu. The warmer tuning of the Hola is better for this price point. While I'd prefer the Chu's brighter presentation in a more expensive IEM, that tuning at the Chu's price point just reveals all the deficiencies of the driver, such as the Chu's metallic treble. Normal people won't bother with EQ, which the Chu needs for satisfactory bass. The Chu has less bass than it measures to my ears without EQ. The graphs say that the Chu has similar bass to the Etymotic ER2XR, which I also own, but in practice the Chu without EQ has a similar bass presentation to a typical open-back headphone. I don't mean that as a compliment. Still, I don't think the Chu is without merit, as it comes with all 3 sizes of Moondrop's Spring Tips, which are $13 on their own, and it's well-tuned. At this price point, the 7Hz Zero may be a better representation of the tuning that the Chu is going for but I have not listened to the 7Hz Zero.

I'd still recommend someone wanting to try out IEMs to just skip this whole $20 category and go straight to the Truthear Zero. $30 isn't a big lift for a large portion of US buyers, and you get a lot more for your money. Truthear's Zero has cleaner and more defined bass. I'd argue that the Truthear Zero is the cheapest way to find out what good bass sounds like in the whole world of audio. The Zero also has significantly improved midrange clarity for vocals and guitars even if I think Harman in-ear isn't the optimal frequency response for IEMs.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That there's a whole pile of really good options at $20 right now is insane by itself.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Godzilla07 posted:

The graphs say that the Chu has similar bass to the Etymotic ER2XR, which I also own, but in practice the Chu without EQ has a similar bass presentation to a typical open-back headphone. I don't mean that as a compliment.

Just as a note for the nerds, one of the things that has been becoming more apparent with the latest gen of test heads is that the older Type 711 coupler seems to have been overstating how much bass IEMs in general have.

In the quoted example, the Chu is indeed bass deficient when tested with more anthropomorphically realistic test apparatuses like the B&K 5128. Type 711? It looks bassy.

There's data to support your impressions!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I wanted workout ear buds so I got some Beats Fit Pro, and gotta say, I kinda hate these things. The giant case doesn't have wireless charging which scuttled my dreams of getting one of those (annoyingly expensive) 3-in-1 phone/watch/Airpods chargers, they're really loving finicky about charging in the case (which seems to be due to the wings), and honestly they're just too loving heavy and make my ears uncomfortable. They also sound kinda lovely, and I'm someone who listens to the kind of music that Beats are theoretically audio-balanced for.

I thought about maybe trading these for the Powerbeats Pros which have most of these problems but at least seem like they'd be more comfortable with the clips, but those things literally have a class action lawsuit due to how lovely the charging is (https://www.engadget.com/apple-powerbeats-pro-class-action-lawsuit-221509629.html).

I think I'm just going to do a return on these and continue using my lovely Portapros when doing indoor cycling, maybe with some tape so I can keep the cord from bouncing around. If I want to try something else are the Airpods Pros stable enough for workouts? I borrowed my partner's third-gen Airpods to try those and they kept falling out of my ears.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

abraham linksys posted:

I think I'm just going to do a return on these and continue using my lovely Portapros when doing indoor cycling, maybe with some tape so I can keep the cord from bouncing around. If I want to try something else are the Airpods Pros stable enough for workouts? I borrowed my partner's third-gen Airpods to try those and they kept falling out of my ears.

In my experience, true-wireless earbud fit seems to really vary depending on the individual. I see people running with Airpod/Airpod Pros all the time, which should be even more jarring than cycling, but if they don't fit well in your ears than there's probably not anything to do about it. I would, however, think that the pros should stay in better than the normal ones since they appear to have a silicone tip.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Mr. Mercury posted:

Just as a note for the nerds, one of the things that has been becoming more apparent with the latest gen of test heads is that the older Type 711 coupler seems to have been overstating how much bass IEMs in general have.

In the quoted example, the Chu is indeed bass deficient when tested with more anthropomorphically realistic test apparatuses like the B&K 5128. Type 711? It looks bassy.

There's data to support your impressions!

Thanks for mentioning the 5128 measurement differences! When I was going through a sine sweep to play around with EQ for music on the DT770 Pro, I couldn't hear the 200 Hz dip that shows up in all the GRAS measurements. The 5128 measurement for the DT770 does not show that 200 Hz dip.

abraham linksys posted:

I wanted workout ear buds so I got some Beats Fit Pro, and gotta say, I kinda hate these things. The giant case doesn't have wireless charging which scuttled my dreams of getting one of those (annoyingly expensive) 3-in-1 phone/watch/Airpods chargers, they're really loving finicky about charging in the case (which seems to be due to the wings), and honestly they're just too loving heavy and make my ears uncomfortable. They also sound kinda lovely, and I'm someone who listens to the kind of music that Beats are theoretically audio-balanced for.

I thought about maybe trading these for the Powerbeats Pros which have most of these problems but at least seem like they'd be more comfortable with the clips, but those things literally have a class action lawsuit due to how lovely the charging is (https://www.engadget.com/apple-powerbeats-pro-class-action-lawsuit-221509629.html).

For me, the AirPods Pro are very comfortable to wear, and I've had no issues with stability. IEM fit is very much a YMMV thing; the Apple Store won't bug you if you return them saying they don't fit your ears well.

AirPods Pro are really great. They sound good with a neutral sound signature (Etymotic/diffuse-field neutral for the nerds), they're very convenient, and versatile with the noise cancellation modes for public transit, and transparency mode for when you want to maintain awareness when walking outside.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Godzilla07 posted:

Thanks for mentioning the 5128 measurement differences! When I was going through a sine sweep to play around with EQ for music on the DT770 Pro, I couldn't hear the 200 Hz dip that shows up in all the GRAS measurements. The 5128 measurement for the DT770 does not show that 200 Hz dip.

It's kinda wild, right? It's too bad that there aren't more outlets publishing results with it

btw, where'd you get that plot from? Interested to poke about

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
A long time ago (or maybe still now?) BOSE had a thing where you could take headphones in, in basically any condition, and pay $100 and they would pretty much give you a replacement of whatever you brought in, or the new version. I did this twice, once they gave me the same headphones (but a new or maybe newly refurbbed one) and once they gave me a newer model.

Do they still have anything like this? I have no idea what the program was even called, I just had a friend told me they did this way back and I went in to a BOSE store and sure enough they did.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Stefan Prodan posted:

A long time ago (or maybe still now?) BOSE had a thing where you could take headphones in, in basically any condition, and pay $100 and they would pretty much give you a replacement of whatever you brought in, or the new version. I did this twice, once they gave me the same headphones (but a new or maybe newly refurbbed one) and once they gave me a newer model.

Do they still have anything like this? I have no idea what the program was even called, I just had a friend told me they did this way back and I went in to a BOSE store and sure enough they did.

No, they killed that program a number of years ago. I tried to turn in my QC35 a couple years ago and I got told to kick rocks.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

BeastOfExmoor posted:

In my experience, true-wireless earbud fit seems to really vary depending on the individual. I see people running with Airpod/Airpod Pros all the time, which should be even more jarring than cycling, but if they don't fit well in your ears than there's probably not anything to do about it. I would, however, think that the pros should stay in better than the normal ones since they appear to have a silicone tip.

Yeah, I just bought a pair of Airpod Pros (since they're $50 off everywhere right now) and I'm gonna return the Beats. Hope these work out better...

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just got the Moondrop Alice for review. Something like 200 bones. I noted AAC and APT-X (non APT-X HD). There is a moondrop app with about 10 different tunings/eqs. Fit is okay, they look stupid though. Sound is.. okay. I think the staging is more like a potato but the overall sound and tuning is pretty nice. Im a bit conflicted. They do sparkle with a good track and have decent bass and mids are niceish but something is just lacking.. I think its the stage.

Non-recommended since 200 bux for potato staging isnt my jam.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Do they have the anime cat girl voice prompts?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Mr. Mercury posted:

It's kinda wild, right? It's too bad that there aren't more outlets publishing results with it

btw, where'd you get that plot from? Interested to poke about

This poster is currently compiling published 5128 measurements. To my knowledge all the other people who have 5128s just got them (crinacle, Resolve from headphones.com, LTT). crinacle's IEF neutral transposed to the 5128 might end up as the most useful target since I'd bet that Samsung is gonna sue the poo poo out of anyone who tries to reverse-engineer the 5128 Harman targets (see all the redactions for 5128 Harman measurements in this video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62fdLy5OC9A&t=2355s

redeyes posted:

I just got the Moondrop Alice for review. Something like 200 bones. I noted AAC and APT-X (non APT-X HD). There is a moondrop app with about 10 different tunings/eqs. Fit is okay, they look stupid though. Sound is.. okay. I think the staging is more like a potato but the overall sound and tuning is pretty nice. Im a bit conflicted. They do sparkle with a good track and have decent bass and mids are niceish but something is just lacking.. I think its the stage.

Non-recommended since 200 bux for potato staging isnt my jam.

I understand the US is not the main market for these but that price point is an absolute non-starter considering you can get the Apple/Samsung/Sony TWS buds for the same price with ANC, and real post-sales support

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

qirex posted:

Do they have the anime cat girl voice prompts?

I’m sorry, what?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dogen posted:

I’m sorry, what?

Moondrop's TWS buds have the voice of their mascot doing the usual TWS status update messages like power on, bluetooth connected, noise cancelling on/off etc.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

njsykora posted:

Moondrop's TWS buds have the voice of their mascot doing the usual TWS status update messages like power on, bluetooth connected, noise cancelling on/off etc.

Weird. I don’t even like regular speech announcements like that, I’m a system of beeps man.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Dogen posted:

Weird. I don’t even like regular speech announcements like that, I’m a system of beeps man.

Yeah, there is a tremendous overlap between weebs and audiophiles. Not surprising to anyone who's ever subjected themselves to Head-Fi or similar forums (and then immediately downed a pint of hard liquor to erase that memory).

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

grack posted:

Yeah, there is a tremendous overlap between weebs and audiophiles. Not surprising to anyone who's ever subjected themselves to Head-Fi or similar forums (and then immediately downed a pint of hard liquor to erase that memory).
all the Steely Dan/prog rock guys are dying off and being replaced by Gundam Singles History III guys.

the common thread is an appreciation for Yes

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Both of my pairs of IEMs have come in waifu boxes and, as a Box Keeper kind of guy for anything I might want to sell in the future, I hate it

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Discussion Quorum posted:

Both of my pairs of IEMs have come in waifu boxes and, as a Box Keeper kind of guy for anything I might want to sell in the future, I hate it

It’s just a reminder to always be yourself.

I have one box like that. I keep boxes as well and it will never see the light of day around civilized people.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Got the Shuoer S12s recently, and I'm incredibly impressed. Paired them with the SpinFit W1s and they're extremely comfy.

Can wear them all day without really noticing too, which is something I can't say for the Blessing 2s.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

AC4L just added refurb Bathys for $639. It says there's only one left but it might be a good idea to bookmark the page if you're interested.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i really like the Sundaras and want to try some fancier PMs. does anyone have experience with the different Audeze LCD models and how they compare?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I’d try the X 2021 for an LCD

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

TenementFunster posted:

i really like the Sundaras and want to try some fancier PMs. does anyone have experience with the different Audeze LCD models and how they compare?

If you're coming from Sundara, you must demo an Audeze before buying it to see if their unique tuning is for you. I demoed an LCD-X 2021 last fall, and I'd take my Sundara every day of the week over the LCD-X. The LCD-X was insanely uncomfortable due to how heavy it was, and the vocals on one of my test tracks sounded flat-out wrong due to how hosed up the frequency response is on those without EQ. You shouldn't have to EQ a $1200 headphone for it to sound good!

The MM-500 is the one Audeze that doesn't have their house tuning. I should have an opportunity to demo it next weekend. It has a normal frequency response out of the box, which is promising, but the ergonomics still sound terrible on the MM-500.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Dogen posted:

I’d try the X 2021 for an LCD
gently caress, they got vintages too? what’s the difference? can i buy the 2021 one new and under warranty?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I’d say the X 2021 almost remind me of the 6XX, and the weight doesn’t bother me (I was worried it would, I probably wear them 8 hours most days) but I guess that’s personal/subjective

I came from the LCD 2 Classic and I would say I had to EQ those to be happy with them.

TenementFunster posted:

gently caress, they got vintages too? what’s the difference? can i buy the 2021 one new and under warranty?

It would be better described as “second edition” or “current model” that’s just what they fuckin call the ones made from 2021 on

Dogen fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 10, 2023

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I hope earbuds aren't verboten in here.

I recently had to return a pair of Liberty Pro 3. I found the sound quality to be pretty drat good for bluetooth earbuds. Unfortunately, even the biggest wingtips were too small for my ears.

Do any of you know if there's something like the LP3 but with wingtips for very big ears?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

anatomi posted:

I hope earbuds aren't verboten in here.

I recently had to return a pair of Liberty Pro 3. I found the sound quality to be pretty drat good for bluetooth earbuds. Unfortunately, even the biggest wingtips were too small for my ears.

Do any of you know if there's something like the LP3 but with wingtips for very big ears?

Bose has a bunch of designs with wingtips. You could also consider earhook designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

grack posted:

Bose has a bunch of designs with wingtips. You could also consider earhook designs.

yeah I was going to say my QC Buds II have large wingtips in the box but I don't really feel like they do a great job helping to keep them in my ears. Unfortunately I've been really disappointed with the buds in pretty much every other way though and can't really recommend them at their price.