Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I have an upcoming work thing on the book Rethinking Military Professionalism for the Changing Armed Forces, and the gist is contemporary western militaries are not willing to do the things people actually want, curb abuse, make the environment less hostile to women, better pay, housing, long term enlistments, so they are turning to this instead. They know what they have to do, they just don't want to, essentially. Also, modern liberal societies - and this was singled out in a chapter about Denmark - have voided nearly all social contracts and are ideologically hostile to the remaining ones, and that means most people do not want to kill or die for them. If there "is no such thing as a society", no nation that the state is obligated to, then the state cannot engender any kind of loyalty in return.

Neoliberals painted themselves into a corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I feel like "career soldiers aren't all louts and brigands" is a pretty recent idea tbh, especially if you discount military aristocrats talking about themselves

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

StashAugustine posted:

I feel like "career soldiers aren't all louts and brigands" is a pretty recent idea tbh, especially if you discount military aristocrats talking about themselves

The point of the Long Service Professional enlistment was to turn the scum of the gutters and emptied countryside into people who shared the values of the British middle class, and while short timers were always considered louts and brigands, the long serving NCOs who were supposed to impose order on them weren't. Even a corporal and his family were held to pretty high standards by the Mid-Victorian, he was expected to move out of barracks, maintain a stable home etc.

But that kind of middle class culture and sensibility all requires the commensurate income to make it possible in the first place.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

they should fill the ranks of the engineering corps with laid-off software engineers whose expertise lies in making metaverse demos and GitHub Actions

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I dont know why you'd need military coders/ data engineers / scientist or whatever in uniform. These are garrison jobs, you can fill them with DoD civilians and they wont have to meet any of the military physical standards.

Yes, some IT positions will be required in the field for maintainer/operators of information systems. And those are already fielded and I dont think they are having any particular retention issues than the other branches arent also going through right now.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

guidoanselmi posted:

Understanding how an AIM-9 Sidewinder works is a perfect STEM project for HS thou. Rocket Eq, control loop algorithm, IR sensor, actuators, integration and test - every child should have access to AIM-9s.

The United States distributes missiles to schools across the world from time to time - just not the ones in America.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Frosted Flake posted:

They permanently effected the number of Chinese Malays and their place in society, so I'm going to guess "yes".

Doesn't seem to have done the former although I guess you could make an argument it had something to do with declining birth rates, but that's a very different claim to saying they were all killed.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

Neoliberals painted themselves into a corner.

it is more than neoliberalism.

Look at the French Revolution:
“The National Assembly abolishes the Feudal system entirely.”

What is that essentially? it is the voiding of all social contracts. the peasants broke in and literally burned them. this is what modernity/ capitalism does . it breaks myths of origin.

the bourgeoise revolutions took those broken myths and rearranged their parts. into other myths like nation states. those rearranged myths are what is being broken now. and they aren’t currently being rearranged into anything else.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

It definitely feels like a revision that came about after The Great War that got cemented by World War 2 with the whole citizen solider tbing that became part of the myth we built about why we are greater than the godless communists. That people joined the army out of self sacrifice rather than being gently caress ups with no other recourse

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
If you're joining up for healthcare, education, and other perks, doesn't that make you a mercenary?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

skooma512 posted:

If you're joining up for healthcare, education, and other perks, doesn't that make you a mercenary?

by the laws of war and any conventional law or recognition, no. i think you kind of have to know what you're getting into to get the mercenary (pejorative) label. no noobs

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I dont know why you'd need military coders/ data engineers / scientist or whatever in uniform. These are garrison jobs, you can fill them with DoD civilians and they wont have to meet any of the military physical standards.

Yes, some IT positions will be required in the field for maintainer/operators of information systems. And those are already fielded and I dont think they are having any particular retention issues than the other branches arent also going through right now.

it's more profitable to outsource to private contracting everything that isn't strictly limited to uniformed personnel. civilians count as a government function to do things contractors can't, but they still don't count as "uniformed" for certain purposes.

the ideal military organization is just enough military and civilians to cover those essential functions and then an army of 1099 contractors

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Hubbert posted:

The United States distributes missiles to schools across the world from time to time - just not the ones in America.

hellfire missiles are just part of the curriculum in Afghanistan

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cuttlefush posted:

by the laws of war and any conventional law or recognition, no. i think you kind of have to know what you're getting into to get the mercenary (pejorative) label. no noobs

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
25-year-old sergeant 3rd SFG.... mechanic? i mean yeah.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

trump telling john kelly that his son died in afghanistan for nothing, to his face, at his grave, on memorial day owned so hard

zero push back from kelly. none. lmao

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

It definitely feels like a revision that came about after The Great War that got cemented by World War 2 with the whole citizen solider tbing that became part of the myth we built about why we are greater than the godless communists. That people joined the army out of self sacrifice rather than being gently caress ups with no other recourse

A citizen soldier is, by definition, not a career soldier. Wasn’t there like a Kid Rock song about that?

To be more serious, this is what Canadian military historians call “The Militia Myth”. The Canadian government has always been loathe to spend on the military and a bit hostile to the institution (Britain had previously footed the bill before the 1840s) so they created a false historical memory of The War of 1812, Fenian Raids etc. to say that militiamen could reliably fight and win. In actuality, only British Regulars were worth a drat and the militia was comically poor at fighting and mostly a Scotch-Canadian social club.

In the Boer War and World Wars they went to war with militia, got clobbered in early battles, realized this, professionalized, (in the world wars conscripted and had a social crisis edging towards civil war) and then forgot it as quickly as humanly possible.

The Americans had the same problem. Minutemen? Trash, ran away, lost every battle. In 1812 the militias were garbage, their history falsified that, they want to Bull Run with Zouaves and New York Militia in bearskins, everybody had a bad time, large, centrally organized military. Rinse repeat.

A recent historian has demonstrated that in Athens, where a lot of Romantic era nostalgia for citizen soldiers come from, or is directed (whichever), the citizen hoplites were trash, didn’t practice, were considered talented if they could stay in a straight line and nearly all fighting was done by mercenaries, who being professional and fulltime were more effective by something like 8:1, terrified the citizen armies and so were the real military force.

An other recent historian demonstrates this is even true for Sparta, where the Spartan Army was mostly a social club / way to steadily reward male aristocrats with the (his words) “special delight” of pederasty, and so maintained social stability, but for real fighting mercenaries were all that mattered and not the ritually hazed and abused, psychologically scared, citizens.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 06:31 on Feb 10, 2023

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

A citizen soldier is, by definition, not a career soldier. Wasn’t there like a Kid Rock song about that?

To be more serious, this is what Canadian military historians call “The Militia Myth”. The Canadian government has always been loathe to spend on the military and a bit hostile to the institution (Britain had previously footed the bill before the 1840s) so they created a false historical memory of The War of 1812, Fenian Raids etc. to say that militiamen could reliably fight and win. In actuality, only British Regulars were worth a drat and the militia was comically poor at fighting and mostly a Scotch-Canadian social club.

In the Boer War and World Wars they went to war with militia, got clobbered in early battles, realized this, professionalized, (in the world wars conscripted and had a social crisis edging towards civil war) and then forgot it as quickly as humanly possible.

The Americans had the same problem. Minutemen? Trash, ran away, lost every battle. In 1812 the militias were garbage, their history falsified that, they want to Bull Run with Zouaves and New York Militia in bearskins, everybody had a bad time, large, centrally organized military. Rinse repeat.

A recent historian has demonstrated that in Athens, where a lot of Romantic era nostalgia for citizen soldiers come from, or is directed (whichever), the citizen hoplites were trash, didn’t practice, were considered talented if they could stay in a straight line and nearly all fighting was done by mercenaries, who being professional and fulltime were more effective by something like 8:1, terrified the citizen armies and so were the real military force.

An other recent historian demonstrates this is even true for Sparta, where the Spartan Army was mostly a social club / way to steadily reward male aristocrats with the (his words) “special delight” of pederasty, and so maintained social stability, but for real fighting mercenaries were all that mattered and not the ritually hazed and abused, psychologically scared, citizens.

But it is that exact myth that whitewashes the reality. Especially to the public who only vaguely has the sword of conscription hanging over their heads so its all "Tbank You for your service" instead of realizing they're little more than a mafia enforcer with artillery. No offense

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Frosted Flake posted:

A recent historian
An other recent historian

If you could dredge their names from memory it's be much appreciated.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Weka posted:

:colbert:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Weka posted:

Roel Konijnendijk, Donald Kagan, Gregory Viggiano, Myke Cole

KomradeX posted:

No offense

None taken, I think it’s a fair point. There’s a book about this in the Anglosphere countries but I can’t remember what it’s called for the life of me. The gist was it characterizes an “English speaking way of war” but is actually hugely detrimental militarily but very useful politically.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 09:17 on Feb 10, 2023

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Frosted Flake posted:

Roel Konijnendijk, Donald Kagan, Gregory Viggiano, Myke Cole

Thanks.

Why would I care for the ideas of a fellow who is full of holes?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1624145475975712790?s=20

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

drat they got chitty

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

drat they got chitty

lol

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Real hurthling! posted:

drat they got chitty

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Real hurthling! posted:

drat they got chitty

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
rip

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/1624527581331554306

lol biden let justin sit in the big boy chair for today's balloon shootdown

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i really do hope this has been the same pilot every time so that we get to add a name to the balloon buster ace wikipedia

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/1624527581331554306

lol biden let justin sit in the big boy chair for today's balloon shootdown

my dude is desperate for any sort of positive PR at this point lol

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

also oh my god this is adorable, he thinks he's in charge of anything lmao

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

biden placing his hand on trudeau's shoulder: that's right sport, you ordered it!

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
china floats one balloon and the us starts firing of missiles like they’re going out of style

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/162...ingawful.com%2F

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

concept of helium baffles fighter jocks

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
this is how they slow roll the unredacted ufo report

atelier morgan