Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Yeah, honestly, too much adjustability right now is going to be hard for you to tell the difference, but also will make sure your setup is just different enough that you'll have to relearn the feel every time you go up.

You'll wear out these boots before you're at a stage where it'll make sense. Go with one that's comfy and has only one dial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

SeaborneClink posted:

I drove 2.5 hrs this morning from Bend to Meadows. They spun two lifts (Stadium Express & HRM) all day because of "high winds" (35-55mph) at the top of Vista & Cascade, which is laughable as Bachelor would absolutely be turning lifts.

It was a race weekend so Stadium Express was an absolute loving gong show of unsupervised children with zero lift line control, and racers just constantly running over people's skis in line, pushing their way ahead of people. I guess ski team is just sanctioned daycare at this point for U13 and under??

Meadows continues to keep their head firmly up their own rear end up to their neck and not have their courses off a lift [basically] dedicated to race traffic, or put in a poma or relocate Blue Chair to serve Stadium, the run not the chair, but hey I guess they can drop a few milly on a new lodge and do absolutely gently caress all to improve the actual on-snow experience.

Watch a poor beginner (minor kid) get absolutely torpedoed square in the back, as he was butt scooting down the run, by a runaway snowboard with a leash attached but no human, from tower 5 or 6 (HRM) on Kinnikinnick at tower 1. Skied down to him and checked him over, sat with him and waited for 40 minutes until patrol showed up (did they have to bump someone from Ski Bowl???) and transported him to the clinic. Did catch up with the responding patroller later in the day and he said the kid checked out ok, so at least good news there. Certainly wouldn't want to be the parents of the boarder who decided it wasn't cool to properly use their retention device.. :homebrew:

It magically emptied out immediately after 1-1:30p and there was no lines after they stopped pretending the might open MHE.

Conditions off Shooting Star looked great today, if Stadium was spinning there's no reason they couldn't have run both Shooting Star and Heather.

Took a look at the Bachelor condition page at lunch and saw they had power failures and basically could only run Skyliner and Sunrise so ultimately I didn't miss out on much of anything other than the extra drive time.

Sounds like the Oregon skiing I endured for 4 years yup.

Do y'all talk about nordic skiing? I recently got into it and I think I like it more than downhill these days. At least its hard to justify down hilling by myself when the whole family and dogs can go cross country. I'm hopeing in a year or two when the little one is bigger it'll be easier and less of a guilt trip to get up to the mountain but the nice thing about XC is it takes hardly any prep work. I can just go in my jeans and throw the boots (that are basically sneakers) and skis in the truck and can park right at the trail head. Don't have to fight traffic getting there or in the parking lot or hike a mile to a lift carrying a bunch of bullshit.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Since you mention BOA I assume you're snowboarding.

Next year it’ll be less clear https://www.boafit.com/en-us/ski

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Why is this even a thing... https://www.boafit.com/en-us/products/leki-nordic-tune-shark/909.html

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Mr. Crow posted:

Do y'all talk about nordic skiing? I recently got into it and I think I like it more than downhill these days. At least its hard to justify down hilling by myself when the whole family and dogs can go cross country. I'm hopeing in a year or two when the little one is bigger it'll be easier and less of a guilt trip to get up to the mountain but the nice thing about XC is it takes hardly any prep work. I can just go in my jeans and throw the boots (that are basically sneakers) and skis in the truck and can park right at the trail head. Don't have to fight traffic getting there or in the parking lot or hike a mile to a lift carrying a bunch of bullshit.

nordic is awesome, gently caress the police, ski in jeans, and prepare to see god on the downhills

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Speaking of skiing in jeans, Bachelor's GM/President John McLeod has hosed off to greener pastures but mum is the word on where. I half wonder if Rob Katz left a pair of jeans in his vacant office that he's got his eyes on.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Cabbages and Kings posted:

-23F on the porch here, so the hills may will have been -60 wind-chill, another 1500' up. Definitely too cold for me, and it looks like the Montreal area stuff is even colder.

That's a lot more real physical danger than I like to assume just from temps, comfort aside. I bet skiing in weather like those could be exhilarating, but even with the right gear I don't know about "fun".

I've got all the gear, I guess, except boots/socks: the stuff I've got is good down to 10-15F but my toes start to ice up after that even with warmers. Is there a good solution to that? I don't want to ski when it's -20 but being more comfortable when it's 10 would be good

First time I went to Tremblant it was something dumb as hell like -35c in the morning and I was the only one dumb enough to go for first tracks. It was really, really slow. I was having to bomb most terrain and getting stuck on anything flat.

I googled it later and, according to some dude on the internet, the friction of your skis/board going over the snow melts a microscopic layer of it and you're gliding on this liquid film. When it gets super cold the surface ice crystals won't melt and you get next to no glide.

I guess it was REALLY cold. Once the sun came up a bit higher it was fine and I've never experienced it since.

Mr. Crow posted:

Nordic skiing is very legit yes.
I do it as well but there's so little crossover with snowboarding that I don't consider them comparable hobbies outside of the time of year I enjoy them.
For me it's my cardio replacement for cycling in the winter. In fact the park I do my climbing rides in converts all of the roads to XC trails over the winter so I even do the same routes.
And yes, going down hills is a unique thrill... Another reason to love those routes since there're many 7-10% grade hills that go on forever. Good aerobic workout on the way up and good sphincter workout on the way down.

My favorite thing about it though? My entire XC outfit cost about the same as my snowboarding boots

Math You fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 7, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Math You posted:

Nordic skiing is very legit yes.
I do it as well but there's so little crossover with snowboarding that I don't consider them comparable hobbies outside of the time of year I enjoy them.
but what if

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w7sVSMbjyM

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

And I just bought new boots last week!

:negative:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

We had several people bail on us for Section House this coming weekend. If you want to hang out, we have a group of 4 thirty-somethings and 3 other randos. It's near Breck, has a 6 mi/1500 vertical foot approach. We have Saturday and Sunday nights. Going in on Sat morning, touring out of the hut on Sunday, and coming out on Monday morning. We are very conservative about bc safety and very serious about partying in the evenings.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

spwrozek posted:

Was the beginner over at Dollar Mountain? Seattle ridge is the only real beginner area on Bald Mountain but it is also kind of a pain to get to.

E: i believe most beginners go to Dollar Mountain which sucks for a group since they can't hang out.

I still think beaver creek is one of the coolest beginner mountains since there is a large beginner area at the top of the mountain.
Unfortunately for the beginner, we started our weekend at the Warm Springs base. Definitely not a complete-newbie friendly area and they quickly got into their own head and the situation deteriorated from there. They took a day off and tried the River Run base area on our last day and had more success. We only realized the beginner appeal of Dollar Mountain after that first day, and would've definitely tried to do it for at least the first day if we'd known in advance.

Edit: Yeah, I see the potential appeal to Seattle Ridge too, but there's still some pretty long and steep stuff just to run laps of the SR lift and to get back to a base from it.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

waffle enthusiast posted:

I know this sounds trite, but if your toes are getting cold at 10-15F you should head to a boot fitter. They can usually help with the problem, which can be any combo of too tight/lose, hot spots, too many layers of socks (surprisingly common), or throwing in a new liner.

keep in mind when I say 10-15F I mean base temp which may well be 0-5F at the top, and not including windchill. They tend to ice up more on the lifts than during runs, and I've skiied in subzero a few times with no major problems.

I only wear a single layer of socks, they are Dark Tough ski socks and it's the most thermally insulated style they have afaik. I do not tend to use little booty heaters, by the time stuff is cold enough to bother me those don't do poo poo.

I see people in heated boots sometimes and have wondered if that's just gimmicky light up garbage. I have an electrically heated jacket from back when I had a motorcycle, and it was basically gimmicky garbage at any windspeed where it mattered.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

keep in mind when I say 10-15F I mean base temp which may well be 0-5F at the top, and not including windchill. They tend to ice up more on the lifts than during runs, and I've skiied in subzero a few times with no major problems.

I only wear a single layer of socks, they are Dark Tough ski socks and it's the most thermally insulated style they have afaik. I do not tend to use little booty heaters, by the time stuff is cold enough to bother me those don't do poo poo.

I see people in heated boots sometimes and have wondered if that's just gimmicky light up garbage. I have an electrically heated jacket from back when I had a motorcycle, and it was basically gimmicky garbage at any windspeed where it mattered.
All the people I've worked with that have the hotronics boot wamer all rave about it and would never go back to not having them, and will also just wear them even on days that are kind of mild because why not. My sister also absolutely loves her Lenz heated socks and has similarly said she'd not go back to not having them on cold days.

I personally don't have either and like you just rock darn tough socks, but I feel like I've got good circulation and so if I get cold, I can go indoors and have my feet feel fine in 5-10 minutes and on really cold days will just do a few runs, warm up for a handful of minutes while I check my phone, and then go back out.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I've also heard nothing but good things about them, they're basically required where I ski and I want to buy some and stop using heat packs.

As a (former) moto rider I'd guess there is quite a bit of difference between having a heated mid/outer layer trying to keep you warm through 45-70 mph wind than just ambient temp and having the heat next to skin.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Lift 9 opens for the first time this season in 15 minutes and I’m sure the whole town is out there freezing their asses off waiting for it but I am lazy (and have to work until at least 2).

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Almost didn’t notice this while skinning past on my tour today

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Steve French posted:

I was looking at the photo and was thinking another person who looks at transmission lines.....ohhhhhhhh.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Well...did you send it or what?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Steve French posted:

Sick

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Been fairly warm and dry, have hardly been skiing lately but good amount of outside bike riding. Did have a few more skimo races, last week was the vert race up a 2k foot run. That was a fun time. Lost the "sprint" finish to a friend Mike who has been my skimo race nemesis. I've been close/behind him a lot but he seems to always win. He's also been better at transitions. Anyway, still went like 3min faster on the same course as last year. Last night was back to our regular schedule program of four laps. Lemans start, I had my skis on the far side but at the front and was able to just run around the front of all the skis and get going pretty quickly. Stayed ahead of Mike and had a good race with a friend in the lightweight category although he stayed ahead of me on the last climb and then I dropped a ski pole just as I started skiing down and lost some time stopping and grabbing it. The bootpack was extra long. Nice hour of suffering. All pretty good smooth and efficient transitions though. Thinking ahead a little helps too- doing things like switching my headlamp to bright, taking off pole straps, partially unzipping jacket before I'm actually stopped at the top transition to save time. Plus freshly waxed skins and skis help with gliding and skin removal a bit. Got 5th last week and 4th this week are my best finishes. Have found some pictures from various people of some of the racing

jamal fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 11, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Our 6 year old had her best lesson ever at MRG, has found some squares she likes (which would be diamonds at Bristol Mountain where I learned in the 90s, unquestionably) and her instructor says she's "ready to try some bumps" from a technical skill level, but also that kiddo seems nervous about it. She probably only has one more lesson this year, I told the instructor, if it happens great but don't push her, let her ski whatever she's into. Instructor is a very gentle young woman who has really clicked with kiddo. But the idea that kiddo is ready to start loving with moguls at 6yo is exciting and terrifying to me; I didn't start skiing until I was 8, didn't really venture into mogul fields until I was 15 or so, and didn't really know anything about how to do them properly until I was in my 20s.

Bumps are the first step towards getting into the woods at MRG, which is more or less the reason to ski there, and I have to admit the "kiddie woods" are super fun. Bristol had places where you could duck into the trees a little, the "kiddy woods" at MRG are entire runs like that. There's a whole lower mountain network of interconnected glades on blue-and-green grade angles, which actually hooks up to the "Rat" off-grounds trail you can ride to parking.

Conditions were, more or less, abject garbage today, and I mostly stayed out of the woods, but this gave me a chance to drop close to 10k in 2 hrs. I had watched the video linked below last night, and while :lol: it just cements my status as a casual, it did make me think that I should be less afraid of ice at this point. So, today was Ice Day, and I more or less spent two hours looking for the nastiest poo poo I could find and then deliberately going through it, trying to make hard-angle turns on ice and poo poo, pretending that there were cliffs/walls/etc that didn't exist. I think I probably got more air today than the rest of the season combined, too. So, very much on piste today but I was hoppin around like a l'il 40-something rabbit and I had an absolute blast.

This video is ridiculous. There is a "'making of" video that goes into detail, I did not watch to see what extent this is a montage vs actually being a straight run, but it doesn't actually matter that much -- yea they scoped the poo poo out super well and did camera placement etc, but the skiing is just, like, loving insane, absolutely unreal. There's a couple places where he appears to bite it hardcore into a huge snowsploshion, and then somehow comes out of it on top of his skis.

And yea, let's just loving do some 20' drops over crevasses that appear to go down to the bottom of the earth and take a detour through an ice well, sounds awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbqHK8i-HdA

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Yea, let's just loving do some 20' drops over crevasses that appear to go down to the bottom of the earth and take a detour through an ice well, sounds awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbqHK8i-HdA

What the gently caress.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just took a fun week trip to Vermont with my family, the weather was good, had some good runs. Comically I dropped one of my gloves right near the bottom of a small trail, so went back up the lift to come down and get it, by the time I got down it was gone. The staff/lost and found didn't have it, so I just bought another pair. The last day I went to the lift I was near and asked the liftie if he had someone return it. He said "no, but here I have a bin of gloves, just take this one it's almost the same"

So I ended up with a matching L/R pair of gloves in different brands:

1) Dakine Fillmore Gauntlet 3-finger, Size 9, Black Left hand
2) Hestra Powder Gauntlet 3-finger, Size 11, Black, Right hand

I posted in the gear thread, but if anyone has the mate of either of these, I'm happy to send it to you, or maybe you can sell it to me, otherwise I'll just keep this mismatched set as a backup.

Alternatively, is there a community for rehoming lost gloves somewhere?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Super-NintendoUser posted:

Alternatively, is there a community for rehoming lost gloves somewhere?
There is in fact a long running TGR thread for singles of things that come in pairs though it is mostly skis

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bawfuls posted:

There is in fact a long running TGR thread for singles of things that come in pairs though it is mostly skis

Thanks! There aren't any gloves on the list, I don't know if I want to register just to post that and maybe piss off the community. Let me check the forum rules and culture and see.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I would just rock the mismatched gloves. I also lost a glove but out of my car. The selection at the rei in Bozeman was pretty anemic. Probably will return then after this trip.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Had a couple weird interactions backcountry skiing today. Went with a group from a mountaineering club, the trip was organized and led by a board member from the club. He isn't a guide. The day's avalanche risk was considerable. We were on a hosed up climb with worsening viz. Another guy and I decided to turn back, and three other people joined us. The organizer and another guy kept going for the summit, which was now completely socked in, with no communication with the rest of the group. He turned, saw we were lower on the slope, and just turned back and kept going.

We waited for them at the bottom of the mountain where we would start the long tour back out and he was baffled why we turned around. He legitimately didn't understand what we didn't like about what we were climbing. Gee, I dunno, maybe the fact that you decided to suddenly make a huge traverse overtop of us, through the gut of a steep windslabbed slope, on a convex face, with clouds quickly moving in, with zero communication? The snow did appear stable but it's not like we dug a proper pit, just did quick handshear tests. Either way, risk management was out the window so I'm happy I turned around. Things he said: "windslabs are only a problem when it's windy"; " 'considerable' is a low rating!" (avy canada rates the day's avalanche risk on a scale from low-moderate-considerable-high-extreme); "I've led this trip 8 times and haven't had a problem before, so I'm not worried about today" - which is one of the more ridiculous things I've ever heard, and "I've only taken the AST1 course but I have decades of experience". Sure, you have more experience than me, and can probably read a snowpack much fast than me, but frankly I still think you're an idiot.

And then on the way out we asked a couple snowshoers "if you don't mind, would you be able to let us pass when you find a spot" and the lady had an absolute MELTDOWN. She snapped around and started yelling, saying we were in THEIR way when they were trying to enter the trail (because we were standing around talking about which way we wanted to get out) so yes she does mind, and we should be aware of people around us, swearing and refusing to get out of the way. Complete temper tantrum. Finally I guess her partner finally said something so she stepped off the trail, except when the last skier went by she took her snowshoe and stomped on his ski. He said "really?" and she goes off again, saying she's just stepping on the trail and we were in her way again. Just a loving lunatic.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Jeeze, that reads like a case study in human factors. You were absolutely right to turn around.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Turning back on any outdoor activity is never the wrong decision. The hill will still be there for the next several thousand years.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Super-NintendoUser posted:

Let me check the forum rules and culture and see.
oh boy

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Weather has been loving amazing at Big Sky this weekend, and it's so much bigger & less densely populated than the Colorado parks. Bombing down wide open lanes on the skibike hitting 35-40 mph without anyone in sight other than people hooting and hollering on the lifts. A+

E; not going up to the tippy top of the mountain on the tram though lmao WTF

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Picked up a pair of Nordica Enforcer 104 Frees to replace my stolen skis. Bindings getting mounted this week and I’ll have three solid days this weekend to see how they are waiting in line! :v:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Skied Park City today.

I'm flabbergasted by what would be a so-so day in Washington, 30° and blue sky, still had incredibly soft snow in Utah after several days without fresh.

My legs are gassed but we're also skiing tomorrow so I didn't want to go too hard. Overall great day.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Terrible season in the northeast but we've managed to compress our ski race season in the few days we have. We had 4 races this weekend. In case I need to be reminded that working/volunteering at a resort is different than recreational riding, I spent 8+ hours out on the slopes mostly race timing and got in exactly 2 runs. One to come back in for a quick lunch break and one to come in at the end of the day carrying down a big roll of b netting (that red safety netting).

Yuns fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Feb 13, 2023

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

Yuns posted:

Terrible season in the northeast

Quote from our ski patrol director the other day about a particular lift/swath of natural terrain: "It was better than expected, but still thin...we kinda expect it might be its last run [tomorrow]."

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
My wife didn’t think she would like skiing so she wouldn’t let me buy her a pass or skis. We just got her boots.

At this point we have spent double that in day passes and rentals. Expensive start for her lol

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Absolutely worth it, love having her out there with me

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Second day in park City. I don't understand how it can be 33-40°, full sun, and the snow is still dry and reasonably soft. My brain is broken over how conditions like sun and temperature affect snow and why Utah is different. At times I was hot. It felt like spring skiing but the snow felt fantastic and not slushy at all. Still kicking up clouds of dry dust.

Did some blacks and double blacks. Definitely pushed my comfort zone a bit on some steep moguls. As a 20 year snowboarder turned skier there years ago, my brain sees moguls and just defaults to "oh poo poo, avoid! avoid!" Leaning forward on steep slopes to initiate a turn still feels a little sketchy.

Glad we did another half day because I don't think my legs had much more in the tank. Definitely coming back to Utah. Crazy how you can be on the mountain 30 minutes from my brother in laws house. Must be nice.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Skied gold hill 8 yesterday and it was gaaaaarbage. Crusty and slick. Fortunately it is getting refilled nicely right now and should be great later this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Bachelor was :discourse: today. Forecast was 7-11" and we ended up with 6-8" expecting another 7-11" overnight with 1-2" into tomorrow morning, so I'm putting in another PTO day tomorrow.

gently caress work. Go ski :homebrew: