Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

sweet geek swag posted:

Looks like Aggression was the determining factor, and that tracks with how I saw it. You could make an argument that either of them won that category.

Any bot that spends a lot of time just turning in the middle of the box is not the aggressor. It can certainly be a winning strategy if you get the knockout, but if you don't, it should cost you in aggression points, and it did here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

covid or not that was such an rear end in a top hat move. gently caress him

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

mossyfisk posted:

Lots of sports have appeal systems like that, because delays cost money.

They should probably show the scoring matrix on screen for a few seconds at some point though, it's actually very specific now and almost no one complaining online understands it.

My dad complained about this very thing this morning. If you are watching the show it can give the impression that things are controversial, when in fact there is very little disagreement between the judges.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Qwijib0 posted:

Any bot that spends a lot of time just turning in the middle of the box is not the aggressor. It can certainly be a winning strategy if you get the knockout, but if you don't, it should cost you in aggression points, and it did here.

One of the judges at least disagrees with you, since it was a split decision, which is what I was talking about.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

My younger son's 9th birthday is that weekend. He has loved Battlebots his whole life and every episode he asks if we can go, and now we can. He is going to FREAK THE gently caress OUT. (I am taking his 20 year old brother too, and to be honest we ALL are going to freak out) It isn't too long a drive from Oregon, but got hotel room for the day before and after at the Horseshoe. I have never been there before, but it almost shares a parking lot with the Battlebots arena and I wanted to be close.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

My younger son's 9th birthday is that weekend. He has loved Battlebots his whole life and every episode he asks if we can go, and now we can. He is going to FREAK THE gently caress OUT. (I am taking his 20 year old brother too, and to be honest we ALL are going to freak out) It isn't too long a drive from Oregon, but got hotel room for the day before and after at the Horseshoe. I have never been there before, but it almost shares a parking lot with the Battlebots arena and I wanted to be close.

Well, I'm officially jealous. Hope you have a blast!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Kind of feel bad that riperoni has to go against End Game in their 2nd fight.

Tantrum going to get some airtime in the main event.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Kind of feel bad that riperoni has to go against End Game in their 2nd fight.

Tantrum going to get some airtime in the main event.

Hijinx-Captain Shred might produce some fun physics. Not sure who I'd pick in that one. I might think about running upside down if I was Hijinx

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

as an american i want captain shredderator to lose everytime

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Scrotum Modem posted:

as an american i want captain shredderator to lose everytime

You have to at least respect how on brand they are by doggedly sticking to an outdated model and learning absolutely nothing from their repeated failures.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Oh Ripperoni, oh no, I'm so sorry

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah, ripperoni

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ripperoni is going to pull a Chomp and get the perfect strike on a top tier bot and win a match it has no business winning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqZhfoADvOE

Bite Force's only loss!

I wonder how Bite Force would fare these days. They've been out of the game for a while, and these teams have gotten so much better the last 3 years.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 8, 2023

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I reckon Bite Force would still do quite well, its nimble, solidly built, and has a decent weapon.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

Ripperoni is going to pull a Chomp and get the perfect strike on a top tier bot and win a match it has no business winning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqZhfoADvOE

Bite Force's only loss!

I wonder how Bite Force would fare these days. They've been out of the game for a while, and these teams have gotten so much better the last 3 years.

they probably just need to update their wedgelets. they were one of the few teams even running piano teeth back then (despite it being semi common on the combots circuit). old end game got bodied by bite force because of it lol, you could even see during exhibition fights later in the season that the end game team realized this and taped some plastic poo poo to get their wedge lower

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Spoilers for the new episode...

:lol: End Game getting hosed with the fork strategy. Also :lol: at Riperoni rolling out with plastic dinner forks on their bot...

Tantrum beating Hydra the same way they beat Witch Doctor, might have accidentally (or purposely) discovered a good strategy for future bots to take note on. Small spinner to damage the underbody to high center your opponent... Was also great watching Tantrum completely dominate Hydra.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol Endgame, too low from the sun

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Ripperoni continues to be the best. That was awesome and I'm so glad endgame got hosed by their stupid forks.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao the editing with the pre-fight interview with Jake feels like a shitpost

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ripperoni-End Game: lol "It's dinnertime" *drives straight into the killsaw slots*

Riptide guy much less hateable this week in the booth

Deathroll-Switchback: Meh

Hijinx-Shred: Well that was the worst match of the season so far. Both bots barely functional from the start.

Rotator-Jackpot: Rotator looking a lot more like its old self in that one.

Big Dill-Skorpios: Weird that Big Dill just shut down.

Did they let an intern edit this Hydra-Tantrum preview package? So many awkward choices.

Banshee-Valkyrie: Another fight where both bots have drive issues immediately :(

Hydra-Tantrum: Well, they got some good exchanges there, but man, I woulda liked to see a lot more of that fight. Jake was very nice in the post-fight; I think he may have realized he got under their skin a bit too much with the trash talk (or kicked off an internet fight that did).

Bad episode! Too many bots breaking immediately or never really working to begin with.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I just started watching the new episode and my daughter and I were literally standing up cheering at Ripperoni v. Endgame.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Literally yelling at my TV that Ripperoni should have just left End Game stuck in the killsaw holes but goddamn, I can't believe they pulled it out

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Props to Ripperoni for not taking the lame countout but that could have backfired tremendously

PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

*Spidermanly*

it's pizza time

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Ok Switchback, if you're are getting chumped by a 2019 bot, it might be time to rethink a few things

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Sirotan posted:

Literally yelling at my TV that Ripperoni should have just left End Game stuck in the killsaw holes but goddamn, I can't believe they pulled it out

Losing a good fight is better than winning a bad one. There's also the risk of the fight getting restarted for being over so quickly without, you know, a fight. It is TV after all.

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007
I knew Valkyrie wouldn't be the same without Leanne but Jesus Christ. Let's throw a big fork over the top of our undercutter, I wouldn't want our opponent to accidently get hit by it :shobon:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ngl I thought Hydra should have won last year's match up and Tantrum just got insanely lucky. Guess I was wrong!

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Sirotan posted:

Ngl I thought Hydra should have won last year's match up and Tantrum just got insanely lucky. Guess I was wrong!

Hydra should've won last years fight, but also these are different bots with different configs. I'm surprised Tantrum won the groundgame this convincingly after losing it so badly last year, but thats why teams make adjustments.

I still think Hydra should've won last year, but lol uhh Tantrum definitely won tonight.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Tantrum beating Hydra the same way they beat Witch Doctor, might have accidentally (or purposely) discovered a good strategy for future bots to take note on. Small spinner to damage the underbody to high center your opponent... Was also great watching Tantrum completely dominate Hydra.

Yeah I thought that was just a freak occurrence against Witch Doctor, but that's like twice in 4 fights they've gashed the underside and had the bent metal in the undercarriage high center the opponent. They must be going after it

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Stuffguyman posted:

I knew Valkyrie wouldn't be the same without Leanne but Jesus Christ. Let's throw a big fork over the top of our undercutter, I wouldn't want our opponent to accidently get hit by it :shobon:

Lucy Du does very, very well in NHRL with an undercutter, and to me it seems like a different undercutter (Billy) is the inspiration for the stick.

It’s unfortunate that they can’t dial it in, but I wonder if some of it is just getting used to driving a massively different bot.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

the stick makes sense when you look at the ground clearance for the plow that banshee has.

it just doesn't make sense for the shape of valkyrie in general, and the weapon it has.

valkyrie is in desperate need of a redesign, its very clear that the shape and weight leave it insanely unbalanced, especially when in the overcutter position. its like a spinning top after it lands a hit, resting perfectly on the slope next to the weapon.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Stuffguyman posted:

Definitely overreacting to the design choice. When their bot is working, the fork on Hijinx has been used pretty effectively in the past. Going up against a rookie bot that struggled in their first fight is a great choice for a fight to try out a new configuration!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'm already real sick of the producers' choice to hype up the fake antagonism and backstage drama, big props to Jake Ewert for immediately dropping it when they put him on the mic after the bout

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Props to Ripperoni for not taking the lame countout but that could have backfired tremendously

Yeah that was one of the riskiest maneuvers I've ever seen anyone take on this show. :v: It paid off big time though, that huge group cheer they got when they returned to the backstage area was real :unsmith:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
P I Z Z A

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Eh, all « heels » have always been pretty tongue in cheek. Neither Ray or Jake have ever felt like anything but a bit of TV banter and Martin Mason is clearly doing theater, especially funny when he’s backstage and talking approvingly of another bot with the same hyperbolic tone.

Which is why Riptide guy felt so dissonant with the general vibe. Hope he learns to keep it chill.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Which is why Riptide guy felt so dissonant with the general vibe. Hope he learns to keep it chill.

I wonder if they knew how bad he'd come off in the prior episode and had him in the booth with instructions to be normal for 3 minutes to help him out a bit.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

That episode sucked but was bookended by two great fights. Tantrum v. Hydra I would hope will shut up the haters. While I like to see Jake Eward admit defeat, it's really just barely making up for him spending an entire year being a loving crybaby. I get that the show wants to foster these rivalry matchups, but they should probably not do so in such a way that eggs on internet grognards to be toxic and lovely to a whole team for an entire year. Just a thought.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I find it a little baffling they spent such a huge chunk of the episode hyping up the Tantrum/Hydra matchup and it basically was nothing. Was satisfying to see T constantly get under Hydra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I find it a little baffling they spent such a huge chunk of the episode hyping up the Tantrum/Hydra matchup and it basically was nothing. Was satisfying to see T constantly get under Hydra

Yeah. Hydra is a great bot for sure despite my feelings about every single member of the Eward family acting like bullies from a 1980's teen movie. But Tantrum has the script to beat them: be aggressive from weird angles, use a little studder-step to bait the flipper, then get under it and punch the nose until it bends/breaks. Tantrum happens to be able to do all of this by virtue of being way faster. Some bots just can't do that because they're too slow of their driver isn't good enough to outmaneuver Jake Eward's careful driving. Hydra is actually pretty sluggish compared to an increasingly fast and nimble field. I would love to see Hydra vs. this new Claw Viper that's setting the world on fire. :allears: