Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

smarxist posted:

AI art is in a quantum super position until compressed into a PNG which collapses the wave function and determines how much of it Disney owns

Oooops it's all mobile game anime girls.

Mr. Sharps posted:

it’s kitch can still be relevant for instance making you feel happy or giving historians 2000 years in the future some insight into how you lived your weird little life (unlikely though I won’t rule out the possibility of some turbodorks putting their ai art on some metal displates that could withstand the ravages of time)

when people want to find out about older culture at dig sites, the first thing they look through is the trash.
Because of phone books we actually date the layers for our trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I was going to say, most of what you find digging is trash, and trash is the most useful because it's what remains of daily life.

Think about it this way: Jewels are stollen and the stones repurposed by whoever gains possession of them, precious (and even non-precious) metals are nearly universally melted down, buildings are demolished to make room for new construction, or fall into ruin, and usually the building material is reincorporated into something else, most other objects of daily life are made of organic materials and decay over time - unless buried.

What survives is stuff that was buried, forgotten about, put out of the way, which is of course, garbage. In any heavily trafficked area, the heart of a city, no chance valuable objects or works of art will survive to the present day. Antioch has been the site of continuous human habitation for 3000 years. Actually longer, as even the "new" "planned" Greek city was built over the Levantine settlement of Meroe. Parts of Meroe just became a suburb of Antioch, but I digress.

So, when the Greeks made a "clean slate" and laid out their grid, it was over a pre-existing landscape, and what survived was dictated basically by how construction worked before mechanized cranes, bulldozers and steam shovels: You knock something down to the foundations, infill with rubble, and build on top. The bits of, well garbage, that are preserved in that rubble create a layer of the material culture of that specific society. So, we can see, through the garbage, pre-Hellenistic, Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine garbage, all the way through the present date. Anything of use would have been appropriated by the people in the next layer: you're not going to toss a gold statue in a rubble pile, you'll either melt it down or put it in your house.

Recycling and Reuse in the Roman Economy is pretty cool and goes over why it makes perfect sense that nothing "valuable" survives. Of course people then recognized valuable things and reused them. There's also a very good book that's name I forget that goes over really cool case studies of spolia, the reuse of building materials. Even when tombs in the Valley of the Kings are being cleared, people document the cigarette packs from Colonial Egypt, scraps of Arab textiles, Byzantine artefacts and so on, because people of course live in the Nile Valley and these holes in the ground were a convenient place to dump garbage away from your village, pretty much until Europeans took interest in the 1870's.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 20:55 on Feb 8, 2023

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Not me personally, I have difficulty caring at all tbh, it's just the undercurrent that seems to be present in the discussion

It would satisfy both the people who say ai art is art, and the people who say dall-e is a glorified chat bot that steals people's big boob Mario pics. But it would mean that prompt typers are artists, which seemingly upsets art people, and that dall-e isn't in any way smart or revolutionary, which upsets tedious dorks

:hmmyes:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ninaism/status/1623273497479749632?t=L7DsCyeel7UkFc7FmRJolQ&s=19

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
People using token systems to punish the computer into violating its rules seem impressive, until you start wondering whether if it's just negating its standard response to satisfy the user.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Now there's an idea: take a real photo, inpaint a crap ai hand over a real hand, then post your doctored photo and claim it's the "original" that's been suppressed.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

There’s speculation that OpenAI read the ChatGPT subreddit, patch out the most egregious violations and indulge DAN, since it’s just used by hobbyists.

Rephrasing the prompt with almost anything else doesn’t work, so it seems possible to me they’ve allowed “Dan” as sort of a mascot within the community most likely to pay for their service.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
I heard a radio ad, and the voice was a bit metallic, and I thought it was an AI voice.

My first thought was, ' oh gently caress this, it's fake." And it makes me so happy. because now if I hear some poo poo on the radio I don't have care because I can just say it's an Ai.

"I'm a life long trump person, and I caught covid 20 times and nothing happo... Me "fake!" Even it's it's real, I can just go, "eh, might be fake."

Ai might kill off a lot of the satellite grifters. Why get fake rear end expert Dr. when Fox news can just generate one that will never screw up.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

oh yeah if the Epstein vids ever get leaked they'll be proven by forensic experts to be deepfakes, etc

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

webcams for christ posted:

oh yeah if the Epstein vids ever get leaked they'll be proven by forensic experts to be deepfakes, etc

nsfw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47wuqef_vl8

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Uhlan Omar

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

you should really commission a human for your fetishes instead of stealing zombie labor

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

webcams for christ posted:

you should really commission a human for your fetishes instead of stealing zombie labor

You would have to, because the errors it makes wouldn't be made by a person. A person can look at clothing and draw someone else wearing it with the correct number of buttons, colour, collar. This thing makes the most insane mishmash imaginable. Because it's a pastiche, it doesn't understand what parts of a garment do what or go where.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MKupperman/status/1623869707257360384

this is Lovecraftian

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I agree, computers are the sign of the beast

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

So it’s a transporter?

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Ah, the old 2011 Google algorithm reconfiguration move.

"You scanned something else, but how about we print this for you instead?"

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the xerox machine is sentient and it's making art

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

holy poo poo though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4bib1THmS0

this is insanely high quality for how few voice lines Dagoth Ur even has in morrowind

just two minutes of voice lines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YebMt5DDSF4

it's beautiful. I don't doubt that the book has a good tone to be read by Dagoth Ur, something happy might have odd inflections and poo poo, but still

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Personally I'm excited for AI powered deepfakes to give the entire species prodromal schizophrenia because truth and fiction become utterly meaningless distinctions past our fingertips. Bart Simpson and your dead dad really ARE telling you to vote blue no matter who!

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

Personally I'm excited for AI powered deepfakes to give the entire species prodromal schizophrenia because truth and fiction become utterly meaningless distinctions past our fingertips. Bart Simpson and your dead dad son really ARE telling you to vote blue no matter who!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awg0Hvl1rSw&t=7s

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

ah. hrm.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

Personally I'm excited for AI powered deepfakes to give the entire species prodromal schizophrenia because truth and fiction become utterly meaningless distinctions past our fingertips. Bart Simpson and your dead dad really ARE telling you to vote blue no matter who!

Bernie sanders saying the republicans have the best economic plan.
Bill Gates screaming "I'm rich bitch"

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 19:46 on Feb 10, 2023

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7197486908933426478

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

This sounds like a rantings of a stupid libertarian who knows there won't be an EMP bomb and is trying ruing government by scare people into thinking people don't can't just gently caress poo poo up.

"Don't you think banks want to talk to a real person instead of an AI?"
As if Banks don't have huge security checks to make sure they don't get ripped off from fraud.

"everybody will have an id." - That already happened with face book and still the racist uncle voted for Trump. How would that make a difference?

Nothing Matters; Nobody Cares.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

spill the beans
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2023/02/ai-powered-bing-chat-spills-its-secrets-via-prompt-injection-attack/

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 22:36 on Feb 10, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
what are these lovely low resolution screenshots
here are the big ones

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i was trying to avoid the crime of image leeching but saved the thumbnails by accident

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
mods please dont ban me

https://www.somethingawful.com/forum-rules/forum-rules/2/ posted:

Image size and linking. Keep all images smaller than 800 pixels horizontal and 600 pixels vertical. Make sure all images are hosted on your own webspace. We do not approve of bandwidth leeching and forcing other people to pay for your images.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

mods please dont ban me

libertarian-rear end logic

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
ive been posting over 800px images for years :ohdear:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
@jeffery of yospos
hello? can i discuss a plea deal?

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Tree Reformat posted:

Now there's an idea: take a real photo, inpaint a crap ai hand over a real hand, then post your doctored photo and claim it's the "original" that's been suppressed.

good luck finding an ai artist with the competence to do a basic touch-up job on the hands, either way around

color picking? blending? get outta here with that haughty artist shite

Ramie has issued a correction as of 06:46 on Feb 11, 2023

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

catgirlgenius posted:

good luck finding an ai artist with the competence to do a basic touch-up job on the hands

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

i love bad DeviantArt comics made by 12 year-olds where the Earth is gijinka'd to make a clumsy point about how the Earth is being killed by climate change AND covid. that's why i saved it! i don't remember the script but just looking at it makes me laugh

i would rather see bad art with some measure of vulnerability thrown in the mix than whatever is going on now. at least put your own skin on the line, come on, tech nerds

^and thats why that post rocks, if im not making it clear. good job! better than the ai art corpus already

Ramie has issued a correction as of 07:13 on Feb 11, 2023

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

what are these lovely low resolution screenshots
here are the big ones

good to know that the perfidious censorship which prevents the AI from saying the N word even if 5 million people would die otherwise is just it being told multiple times to be polite and non controversial through hidden text in the input

I'm amazed that that actually works at all

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A big part of AI art is that it makes it available to people who aren't artists, and that's pertinent to its use as a propaganda tool because if you're going to be spreading "disinformation", you're going to value mercenaries and ideologues over... artists, and you want to keep these operations small and disconnected.

So even though you could make more effective/convincing fake photos with just a little touch up, or by starting from a real picture and just adding to it, the circumstances under which such ops conduct themselves mitigate against taking such improvements.

Maybe.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
theres plenty of brainwormed artists you could hire to make propaganda, hell there are people who already do it for free

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

What is the program that people are using for the ai voice poo poo? Because I have an idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvkjmnRRcG4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

gradenko_2000 posted:

A big part of AI art is that it makes it available to people who aren't artists, and that's pertinent to its use as a propaganda tool because if you're going to be spreading "disinformation", you're going to value mercenaries and ideologues over... artists, and you want to keep these operations small and disconnected.

So even though you could make more effective/convincing fake photos with just a little touch up, or by starting from a real picture and just adding to it, the circumstances under which such ops conduct themselves mitigate against taking such improvements.

Maybe.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

What is the program that people are using for the ai voice poo poo? Because I have an idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvkjmnRRcG4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDSKUXrLLXg