Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

DoctorWhat posted:

kim wexler

"I was having... too much fun" she laments as she leaves a self-destructing planet in some other game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Asterite34 posted:

I mean, Prime 1 is like her second ever space adventure in the timeline, she can't be THAT burnt out and grizzled yet. She's only on her first weird alien DNA infusion and first Ridley kill, this is baby poo poo

Ha, you have a point there, I forgot how early prime 1 is

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

MP3 is not great and would be a pain to translate all those motion control options to joystick in a non-janky manner along with all the tools for the game itself being gone compared to mp1/2. I don't see a port of it happening due to this but quote me on this I guess.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

It's not just the motion controls, a lot of the bosses and tougher enemies were designed with precision pointer aiming in mind. Locking on would just center them in your screen rather than focus on a weak point.

I don't like the thought of trying to fight Mogenar with analog controls, that fat bastard was enough of a pain in my rear end the first time.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Does this game have spring ball.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Veotax posted:

Has dual analogue aiming as well.
Does it only have dual analog aiming? I'd quite like to play it how it was. I couldn't even get into the Wii version for that reason.

The three things I was hoping for most for this are the original controls, removing the requirement to re-fight the Chozo ghosts literally every time you walk through one of those rooms, and actually updating the models and textures, so we're one of of three already.

DoctorWhat posted:

kim wexler
Fuuuuuck. Now you've split my fan-casting vote from any trans woman built like a brick shithouse to 50/50 that or Rhea Seehorn.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MJeff posted:

Does this game have spring ball.

Yeah, all the games got Spring Ball added to them with the Trilogy release.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

LividLiquid posted:

Does it only have dual analog aiming? I'd quite like to play it how it was. I couldn't even get into the Wii version for that reason.

Your options are dual analogue, original controls, hybrid (original controls but with gyro when free aiming) and pointer controls.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

TaurusOxford posted:

Yeah, all the games got Spring Ball added to them with the Trilogy release.

Specifically, once you get morph ball bombs you can start spring jumping all over the place. It's also available on the frigate before you lose your powers and is the best way to get out fast during the escape sequence.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is Mogenar the first Phazon Guardian because gently caress that guy forever

F.D. Signifier posted:

RIP original Minivan Mom Samus

I never noticed how weird her left eye is placed before

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Is Mogenar the first Phazon Guardian because gently caress that guy forever

That's the one. The big :frog: motherfucker with the orbs.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Honestly just fighting Ridley in the falling tunnel fight would be awful with trying to aim precisely with lock on and especially during hte points where you can't lock on at all.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got stuck on that bastard for two hours at launch lol

Killed any desire to replay it until recently :v:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I think MP3 is extremely mid as an actual metroid game with how absurdly hand holdey and linear it is, fusion is similar but also it's on the GBA and clearly going for something far different that I appreciate far more than MP3's attempts which just feel like trying to make it as simple as possible.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ChaseSP posted:

I think MP3 is extremely mid as an actual metroid game with how absurdly hand holdey and linear it is, fusion is similar but also it's on the GBA and clearly going for something far different that I appreciate far more than MP3's attempts which just feel like trying to make it as simple as possible.

Prime 3 was unfortunately made during the era where Nintendo was still trying to attract casual Wii owners with more hardcore titles, hence why "normal" difficulty in Prime 3 and the Trilogy collection is actually easy mode.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Snake Maze posted:

Your options are dual analogue, original controls, hybrid (original controls but with gyro when free aiming) and pointer controls.
Holy poo poo! Sold!

Thank you!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
MP3 was probably my favourite of the series because of how loving incredible pointer control was and how it ran at a locked 60 the entire time.

Also pirate homeworld and skytown are two of my favourite locales in the series.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

When pointer control worked it was great. When it didn't and you were trying to quickly hit fiddly weak spots it was a nightmare. The final boss of 3 took me ages.

I never had an issue with the gyro stuff though, that felt pretty neat to do and they didn't try to make it do more than it could.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I liked when MP3 introduced Samus to that general that almost seemed like he was Ron Perlman’s admiral character from the Halo games

MP3 was such a strange experience; it was a good game but honestly felt the weakest out of the trilogy

The sky temple was pretty rad though

MechaX fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 10, 2023

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ChaseSP posted:

MP3 is not great and would be a pain to translate all those motion control options to joystick in a non-janky manner along with all the tools for the game itself being gone compared to mp1/2. I don't see a port of it happening due to this but quote me on this I guess.
PrimeHack already does this and that's a hobbyist project that doesn't have access to source code.

I agree that MP3 with just dual analog controls is probably a bit much of an ask, but it's perfectly playable on my Deck with the SN30 Pro 2's gyro and there's no reason that couldn't be done on the Switch.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

eah but that's with using a mouse as intended, doing that with dual analogs sounds awful along with making sure all the weird motion gimmick works on one.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
No mouse!

The "twist the remote to rotate the lock rings" stuff is just done with the left stick and it's fine if a bit silly.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

ChaseSP posted:

Hot Take: Prime 2 and 3 were both mediocre as gently caress.

2 because the actual power beam was weak as poo poo and the Dark and Light World world switching was horribly underutilized even compared to Soul Reaver 1 and 2, which predated it; but also the schizophrenic world design made Dark Souls 2's trippy nonsense seem more cohesive by comparison.

3 because yeah... it was a linear game where they tell you were to go constantly and bombard you with cutscenes and bullshit. That's not what you want in a Metroid game!

Prime 1 was a masterpiece, though. I can only hope by them only remastering 1, they're sorta saying "hey, this game? This is what Prime 4 is gonna be like," because if so I am there for it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Do they really tell you where to go in 3 more often than 1? MP1 also has the hint system that lights up your map whenever you spend too much time farting around looking for items.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
but dark and corrupted samus were the shiznit though

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

As much as I’m really enjoying playing through Prime 1 again, I really hope that 4 is actually third person. My biggest complaint about the Prime series is that Samus moves around like a tank when a huge part of the appeal of the 2D games is how fast you can run through the games. Returnal really scratched that itch in a way Metroid could absolutely perfect. It’s what Metroid combat could be in 3D but it lacks the Metroid world. Though I’d be quite alright if Nintendo didn’t go full bullet hell with it.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
MP2 and MP3 were less good than Metroid Prime assuming you judge them on a meaningless metric that's based on a surface-level understanding of what makes games of this kind good, which I thankfully don't do, because I'm cool and attractive.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Do they really tell you where to go in 3 more often than 1? MP1 also has the hint system that lights up your map whenever you spend too much time farting around looking for items.

It tells you immediately with no time to let you get lost. Complete an objective and immediately get a message saying "hey you should go here".

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Fuzz posted:

2 because the actual power beam was weak as poo poo and the Dark and Light World world switching was horribly underutilized even compared to Soul Reaver 1 and 2, which predated it; but also the schizophrenic world design made Dark Souls 2's trippy nonsense seem more cohesive by comparison.

yeah but sanctuary fortress and torvus bog were great

personally prime 2 is light years ahead of dark souls 2 moments like the elevator going up to the iron keep in terms of just weird world design

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I played all the Primes as they released, and definitely enjoyed Prime 1 the most. Although part of that was probably because I was a huge fan of sequence breaking and the adorably named "secret worlds" (going out of bounds), both of which Retro did their best to crack down on in later games.

In honor of the remaster, please enjoy the best fan site ever made, miraculously still alive after all these years. Most of these tricks probably don't work anymore, but this site was the coolest thing ever as a kid.

https://www.metroid2002.com/home.php

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I went back to Metroid Prime 2 recently and found myself really enjoying it besides the dumb ammo mechanic which I don't think should've been a thing at all because it just ends up an annoyance before you get the first expansion, then never matters again. But there's far more poo poo that basically never comes up again in MP3 like the ability to have a bombing run that has like, a couple situations you can actually use it and makes all the missile expansions absurdly useless, or a bunch of the corruption powers being worthless too.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Turn that off immediately and never turn it back on

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My favorite thing about Prime 1 was the exploration of the world and how you'd continually find yourself in new areas or new parts of old sections. Prime 2 started to break that and 3 completely killed it by having every area be its own planet.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It's perfectly fine in MP1 due to it taking a while before actually triggering meaning it's far more respecting of a players intelligence than literally telling you immediately.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Prime 2 in Trilogy was a lot of fun if only because the Seeker Missiles are actually useful when you can just quickly paint a room of targets while moving instead of having to plant yourself in a standstill and manual aim like on GC. 2's honestly a lot better than people often give it credit for even if it's not as good as 1. And 3 is a good game, but yeah it lacks a bit of that Metroid feel throughout.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I think MP3 is still a pretty enjoyable game, but I don't like it as a Metroid game much and it feels like a considerable backstep in quality from 2 and 1.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
What is this narration thing that the options mentions that was apparently added for the Europe and Japan releases?

i liked MP3

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I wouldn't put it past them to do all three games (or at least 1 and 2 since they are so similar) but space out the releases in a lead up to MP4. That game is probably still far away, this is reliable filler content for the Switch.

This remaster is really great, if MP2 gets a similar overhaul… :eyepop:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

What is this narration thing that the options mentions that was apparently added for the Europe and Japan releases?

The European version had some weird, random narration during the opening and ending cutscenes. The one for the opening is just drivel that has nothing really to do with the game "In the story of the universe, humanity is just a blink of light, but one star shines brighter than others, Samus Aran! Another part of her story starts now..." or something like that. Don't remember what the ending is like.
The Japanese version seems to have some weird extra bits where loading a save. Like when loading a save in Phandrana Drifts it will say "Snow Valley" or something, for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fuzz posted:

Hot Take: Prime 2 and 3 were both mediocre as gently caress.

3 because yeah... it was a linear game where they tell you were to go constantly and bombard you with cutscenes and bullshit. That's not what you want in a Metroid game!

Prime 1 was a masterpiece, though. I can only hope by them only remastering 1, they're sorta saying "hey, this game? This is what Prime 4 is gonna be like," because if so I am there for it.

Prime 2 is amazing actually and sanctuary fortress in HD would absolutely melt my brain