Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ammanas posted:

nah combined 200k gets you a modest to nice home with a plot in almost every metro besides really big ones (LA, bay area, NY, etc), gets you a palace in most places, and a pretty nice condo or apartment in high demand locales.

400k combined means you buy multiple properties and start living the passive income life.

As recently as the mid 2010s, sure. Now that’s barely true even in the like 10th tier city that I live in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Kreeblah posted:

I love the shot of the back of the weird makeshift closet thing (I think?) in the photo of the pink room.

who wouldn't want to buy this

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Thoguh posted:

As recently as the mid 2010s, sure. Now that’s barely true even in the like 10th tier city that I live in.

don't be loving stupid. i survive on 25k/year in austin. my friends making 100k+ all own their own homes and have infinite money. one making 150k flies to park city once a month in winter and then new zealand in summer. they treat bourbon like an investment vehicle and have all lost mid-five figs on crypto

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

i say swears online posted:

don't be loving stupid. i survive on 25k/year in austin. my friends making 100k+ all own their own homes and have infinite money. one making 150k flies to park city once a month in winter and then new zealand in summer. they treat bourbon like an investment vehicle and have all lost mid-five figs on crypto

you know that people with high paying jobs often come from places of existing privilege right

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

anime was right posted:

you know that people with high paying jobs often come from places of existing privilege right

duh? i'm not sure i know anyone making 400k/year that didn't

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

property taxes rule, but they should be massively more progressive. i like graduated sqft tax rates

It’s very hard to find a well laid out house around 2k square feet or less here in my medium-sized Southern city. You either have sub-2k shotgun shacks or 3k+ McMansions. Some of the historic homes downtown are reasonably sized but they’re quite expensive.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ProperGanderPusher posted:

It’s very hard to find a well laid out house around 2k square feet or less here in my medium-sized Southern city. You either have sub-2k shotgun shacks or 3k+ McMansions. Some of the historic homes downtown are reasonably sized but they’re quite expensive.

i've noticed this too. lots of choices in my city are either 800sqft or 3400 sqft

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
when I was doing family research I found out that my immigrant great grandfather bought a three story house in Philadelphia in 1908 for $1000 and on the 1910 census he reported that his current job paid $1200 a year

I can't even imagine having a job that paid 20% more per year than a big rear end house in a major metropolitan area cost. lol. using my childhood home's current value - a piddly two stories - I'd have to make 315k/year

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

don't be loving stupid.

dont tell me what to do!

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Thoguh posted:

where do you live and what do single family homes sell for there?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

External Organs posted:

Rutland is the Appalachia of Vermont so I say go for it

I'm gonna.

anime was right posted:

do you like heroin

Are you saying Rutland is a good place for u kno what?

Paradoxish posted:

Massive visible wall cracks in every single photo only slightly sus

who wouldn't want to buy this

Kreeblah posted:

I love the shot of the back of the weird makeshift closet thing (I think?) in the photo of the pink room.

Eason the Fifth posted:

this house was built the year before Billy the Kid was shot and killed outside Fort Sumner.

Exactly, that house has history! And probably people living in the walls.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

do any of them have kids

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

my conservative estimate is children coast $450,000 a year

each

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

do any of them have kids

yeah one friend has 2 with a third on the way. he works at apple, wife is a reduced-hours doctor, so two incomes totalling maybe 300k. they complain about childcare costs but own two rental homes they bought recently and just plowed like 100k on a two-story deck in their backyard

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

See how many all-cash buyers snagged houses in your neighborhood

The lookup tool isn't working for the archived story; does anyone have a direct link?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Failson posted:

Are you saying Rutland is a good place for u kno what?

yes its a great place to get your poo poo jacked bc its on the addict corridor

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

anime was right posted:

yes its a great place to get your poo poo jacked bc its on the addict corridor

the burlington to bennington heroin highway

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i think brattleboro is worse though?/ maybe

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

yeah one friend has 2 with a third on the way. he works at apple, wife is a reduced-hours doctor, so two incomes totalling maybe 300k. they complain about childcare costs but own two rental homes they bought recently and just plowed like 100k on a two-story deck in their backyard

lol i suspect you're just guessing at these incomes or completely ignoring their family's contributions

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm definitely using pre-tax numbers but i'm not far off. most everyone's on the wrong side of 40 now so they've had some time to save, and the older ones did buy their first houses in like 2011 when the market was okay

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Your friend is making 350,000 and the wife is making another 250,000.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

plz don't make me cry

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

Salt Fish posted:

Your friend is making 350,000 and the wife is making another 250,000.

easily, with the wife probably making even more if "part-time" means moonlighting/non-contract work

also with that income and that many kids i'm guessing their primary residence is close to a cool mil, if not more (austin average pricing appears to be ~$600k)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

after the deck remodel they'd probably get 700k. they're in kyle, a far-flung 'burb

my job this summer was austin-area property appraisals and it's hard not to do the eyepop emoji irl every day

edit i think i'm just miffed they own two rental properties?? both probably total 5% of their gross income, i don't know why they even bother

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

lol rents are heading back up where I am.

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

edit i think i'm just miffed they own two rental properties?? both probably total 5% of their gross income, i don't know why they even bother

retirement plan maybe?

but yeah odd for a doctor - those types typically aren't interested in retiring, especially early retirement

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Minecraft Holmes posted:

retirement plan maybe?

but yeah odd for a doctor - those types typically aren't interested in retiring, especially early retirement

COVID's still obliterating healthcare employees' morale. It's been hitting nursing staff harder than doctors, but even some doctors are throwing in the towel. I really would't be surprised if we do start seeing a lot more doctors retiring early at some point.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

https://www.ajc.com/american-dream/investor-owned-houses-atlanta/

the same ghouls who destroyed the world economy and ruined innumberable lives in 2008 are now locking 2 generations out of housihg security and equity

Ammanas has issued a correction as of 14:52 on Feb 10, 2023

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kreeblah posted:

COVID's still obliterating healthcare employees' morale. It's been hitting nursing staff harder than doctors, but even some doctors are throwing in the towel. I really would't be surprised if we do start seeing a lot more doctors retiring early at some point.

All the healthcare workers I still talk to are huge on the FIRE thing, getting in on rental properties is totally unsurprising. Physicians still make a ton of money but it’s a far cry from the living their professors/parents enjoyed.

Mid level encroachment, reduced/stagnant wages in the face of increasing workload, administrative bullshit, private equity purchasing physician partnerships, etc

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Failson posted:

Exactly, that house has history! And probably people living in the walls.

Test that peeling paint for lead

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Ammanas posted:

the same ghouls who destroyed the world economy and ruined innumberable lives in 2008 are now locking 2 generations out of housihg security and equity

Atlanta was ground zero for this poo poo, there were articles in 2011-2012 about these investors in the Atlanta suburbs using software to evaluate houses and place automatic offers on them before normal buyers could look at them.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Ammanas posted:

non-paywalled

quote:

Companies also tout their ability to push rent and fees higher and higher, even as they market themselves as providers of affordable housing. Founded by Blackstone Group, a private equity giant, Invitation Homes raised its average rent in the Atlanta market 37% from $1,336 in 2016 to $1,836 today, according to public filings. It raised rent 11% in 2022 alone.

“Put simply, we see ourselves as a solution to changing preferences, demographics and housing supply demand imbalances for years to come,” Dallas Tanner, the CEO of Invitation Homes, said in a 2021 earnings call.

Tanner made $9.7 million that year in salary, stock awards and incentives — up from $5.5 million in 2020.

Company officials declined interview requests. In a statement, an Invitation spokesperson said: “We are very careful not to suggest we offer affordable housing, but we are also very clear that renting is more affordable than buying in many markets.”

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

"but we are also very clear that renting is more affordable than buying in many markets.”

gee i wonder why house prices have skyrocketed

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

All the healthcare workers I still talk to are huge on the FIRE thing, getting in on rental properties is totally unsurprising. Physicians still make a ton of money but it’s a far cry from the living their professors/parents enjoyed.

Mid level encroachment, reduced/stagnant wages in the face of increasing workload, administrative bullshit, private equity purchasing physician partnerships, etc

A lot of the FIRE folks I've ever seen are loving psychos (I mean, I get not wanting to be forced to sell your labor, but some of these people's brains are seriously broken), so if medical folks are getting into it, I guess that tracks.

Willa Rogers posted:

non-paywalled

quote:

We are very careful not to suggest we offer affordable housing

Huh. I wonder why that could be. :thunk:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
FIRE stuff will absolutely break your brain if it isn't already severely broken. You need to be making an obscene amount of money (or get down to a truly ascetic lifestyle) for it to be viable without doing actively scummy real estate poo poo like flipping houses or becoming a landlord/vacation rental moron.

My experience with a handful of people making low six-figgies is that they tend to get progressively more hosed up and chase more ridiculous schemes as they get into their late 30s and realize that they're way too poor to make this happen. We know a couple that almost permanently ruined their finances trying to fix up a decaying shithole to turn it into a rental. A lot of these people are going to get even more hosed up as super high prices and rates make "passive" real estate income even more unattainable.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

FIRE stuff will absolutely break your brain if it isn't already severely broken. You need to be making an obscene amount of money (or get down to a truly ascetic lifestyle) for it to be viable without doing actively scummy real estate poo poo like flipping houses or becoming a landlord/vacation rental moron.

My experience with a handful of people making low six-figgies is that they tend to get progressively more hosed up and chase more ridiculous schemes as they get into their late 30s and realize that they're way too poor to make this happen. We know a couple that almost permanently ruined their finances trying to fix up a decaying shithole to turn it into a rental. A lot of these people are going to get even more hosed up as super high prices and rates make "passive" real estate income even more unattainable.

The guys selling the shovels here are definitely making out though, makes you think.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

. We know a couple that almost permanently ruined their finances trying to fix up a decaying shithole to turn it into a rental.

I don’t think people get that sometimes to fix serious house stuff it might be 50,000 to 100,000 out of pocket in cash. and even knowing that and even having the cash ready to go for it, it’ll still gently caress your poo poo right up more than one is expecting.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I don’t think people get that sometimes to fix serious house stuff it might be 50,000 to 100,000 out of pocket in cash. and even knowing that and even having the cash ready to go for it, it’ll still gently caress your poo poo right up more than one is expecting.

But HGTV makes it look so easy!

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Eh it's only worth it if you get the house for practically free. When I was house hunting in the open market the full rehabs were like $70-95K. I havent spent that much yet on my $4K house and I'm getting 100% all new poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

War and Pieces posted:

Eh it's only worth it if you get the house for practically free. When I was house hunting in the open market the full rehabs were like $70-95K. I havent spent that much yet on my $4K house and I'm getting 100% all new poo poo.

siding and windows runs about 50k for a 1500-2k sqft house. my mom just started renting her dad's old house (built in the 60s!! not that old!) from the rest of the family, her heating bills are enormous, and no one wants to fix the property up because of the up front cost