Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

makes me want the old flower power imac

pattern on a guitar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
hot dog strat makes sense

doobies

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender...WRoCPaEQAvD_BwE

Go hog wild

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

I ever go the custom shop route I'll be going for the proper Blue Floral to replace the $30 GFS closeout bodied one I have now.

With a 60s Fender Coronado pickup made by DeArmond. I do wonder if they could match the 5.5lbs of this one

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

I always hated how this fades at the edges. Go all the way to the edge you dorks!

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

I just watched an Anderton's video where they shot out the two Marshall studio amps, the Friedman Little Sister and Pink Taco, and the Victory Sheriff 25. As someone who loves modded JCM800 sounds I went in fully expecting to like the Pink Taco the most but the Sheriff blew me away - the vintage channel does the classic rock thing incredibly well and the hot-rodded channel has a percussiveness that sounds like it'd be amazing for 80s metal. Kind of want to get one now - anyone here tried a Victory?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

I always hated how this fades at the edges. Go all the way to the edge you dorks!

The OG 60's ones were actually done with wallpaper hence the fade to cover up the edges.

There's some builders still seeking out NOS wallpaper to build new ones.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

widefault posted:

I ever go the custom shop route I'll be going for the proper Blue Floral to replace the $30 GFS closeout bodied one I have now.

With a 60s Fender Coronado pickup made by DeArmond. I do wonder if they could match the 5.5lbs of this one

Wow that looks really close the Kay Tissue Box pickup that DeArmond made for Kay. Very cool.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Thumposaurus posted:

The OG 60's ones were actually done with wallpaper hence the fade to cover up the edges.

There's some builders still seeking out NOS wallpaper to build new ones.

I went down this rabbit hole once and, near as anyone can tell, nobody knows who designed and or manufactured the original pattern. It is part of a style of wallpaper from the time but this pattern is unique. I would love to know.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

just got an e-mail about "new lefty fender models"

oh fender, you shouldn't have

Uh…this rules

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Wow that looks really close the Kay Tissue Box pickup that DeArmond made for Kay. Very cool.

Similar, but wound a bit hotter. The Tissue Box ones were closer to the "normal" gold foil DeArmonds of the time but even those vary a bunch.

I've got a stash of Dearmonds

Mustache Gold Foil 7.44K
Toaster - no base 8.0K
Toaster - with base 8.9K
"S" Gold Foil 9.37K
Coronado 9.65K

I've seen a few of the Coronado ones that measured 12K. They pair up really well with a Tele bridge pickup, but you do have to watch out for phase issues. The floral Tele pickups are out of phase and really thin in the middle, but toss in a fuzz and it nails Money for Nothing

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

widefault posted:

Similar, but wound a bit hotter. The Tissue Box ones were closer to the "normal" gold foil DeArmonds of the time but even those vary a bunch.

I've got a stash of Dearmonds

Mustache Gold Foil 7.44K
Toaster - no base 8.0K
Toaster - with base 8.9K
"S" Gold Foil 9.37K
Coronado 9.65K

I've seen a few of the Coronado ones that measured 12K. They pair up really well with a Tele bridge pickup, but you do have to watch out for phase issues. The floral Tele pickups are out of phase and really thin in the middle, but toss in a fuzz and it nails Money for Nothing

:eyepop:

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Southern Cassowary posted:

I got a set of Marshallheads to put in a PRS S2 and they were great, and the Timberwolf that came with an Edwards LP I had was incredible.

I have a Marshallhead and a Dr. Vintage in my 335 and they are fantastic. Wolfe knows his pickups.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I went down this rabbit hole once and, near as anyone can tell, nobody knows who designed and or manufactured the original pattern. It is part of a style of wallpaper from the time but this pattern is unique. I would love to know.

There was a giant thread about it at the TDPRI forums years ago. A few uncut rolls showed up on etsy.

Somebody was in talks with another wallpaper manufacturer about recreating an accurate version.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

this is the smelly guitar isnt it? lol again at the weird holes

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Just remembered this! So I finally got around to adjusting the neck today (my intonation was all kinds of hosed since it got here and settled-in) and I guess the temperature is wildly different between California and Virginia this time of year, not surprising.

I had to max out the truss rod to get it level but once I did I checked all the other measurements and everything is perfectly set to factory specs. I don't think I'll gently caress with it, even though the action is on the higher side from a measurement perspective (5/64" on the low and 4/64" on the high E)

I could probably bring it down but it's comfy where it is and I play with a heavy hand anyhow.

cool, sounds like they cut the nut correctly, if thats all you had to do

On the topic of G&L's b-stock site, they don't have any affordable indonesian-made guitars on there anymore! Just the pricier american-made stuff, and nothing for the left-handed fixed-bridge connoisseurs in this thread, other than the megaton tele i posted last week.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

This might be a dumb question and it may have been addressed a long time ago, but landgrabber, do you have a string tree on your problem guitar?

As I'm putting together my partscaster I'm thinking about buzzing on my G string that's irritating, and I found out that a triple tree is a fairly popular choice for tele players to stop that.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I really like the SGs with with LP style pickguards

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

and yeah i was thinking some saddles with like the roller thing or hopefully that just sit nicer than the bent steel... i palm mute a good chunk for dynamics which is why i'm real bummed about my telecaster (three saddle bridge with the ashtray makes it kinda awful)

i suggest replacing the tele with a guitar more suited to you! i love an ashtray bridge, but its not for everyone, especially palm-muters. the 3 saddles would be a deal breaker for me.

i know you have given some thought to other guitars you might want. i agree that some non-vibrato bridge would be best for you. other than that, something light weight and durable, i suppose?

what about a travel size guitar? i saw this the other day, and i won't be getting it, because i already have a nice travel-size electric guitar. https://reverb.com/item/62859099-traveler-eg-2-black-w-tortoise-shell-pickguard

not my favorite colors, but maybe a cool contemporary option to consider, instead of something with brand recognition, but with needlessly outdated designs (e.g., the 3 saddles)!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

If you really love a tele, it's not hard to replace the 3 saddles with 6 (or 3 better saddles) and/or get a baseplate that's completely flat or has the sides cut down a bit.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anybody here own a Kiesel? Experiences with them? Fit and finish seems on par with much more expensive stuff and they are beautiful instruments to me.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
if you like what they're offering go for it. I dislike jeff kiesel and also wish they were still carvin, but i think they build nice guitars for the most part. if they gently caress up your guitar, it seems like you're on your own though

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Anybody here own a Kiesel? Experiences with them? Fit and finish seems on par with much more expensive stuff and they are beautiful instruments to me.

my friend got a carvin, and it was the last guitar he ever bought -- he was completely satisfied. he doesn't play his other guitars anymore.

the only downside he pointed out is that the resale value is terrible, so it's a good thing it worked out.

luchadornado posted:

If you really love a tele, it's not hard to replace the 3 saddles with 6 (or 3 better saddles) and/or get a baseplate that's completely flat or has the sides cut down a bit.

i have seen the flat ones, it's a nice compromise. i personally like the ashtray with the sides intact for playing with a pick, because it's comfy for me to anchor my pinky on the bottom lip. for fingerstyle, i'm usually playing closer to the neck, so i don't really interact with the bridge much

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 10, 2023

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

frogbs posted:

...That's kind of where I was going, a Jazzmaster AND a Jaguar, eventually. As was recommended in the thread, I did a setup and restring on my old Ibanez GAX70 with 9's, and it's way easier to play for my dumb, old, big beginner hands. Once I get better maybe i'll upgrade to one or both.

Welp, this Affinity Jazzmaster was available near me for $150 so I snagged it. I know it's missing some of the hallmark Jazzmaster features, but i've been having a blast with it anyway. Will keep an eye out for a deal on a Jaguar too, but for now my G.A.S. is satiated.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
eI don't know if you guys can help, but I always used my focusrite for my headphones, but now I want to record my helix, and I can't figure out how to get reaper to recognize my helix. I'm sure somone here has had this experience.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

luchadornado posted:

LG, I know you've had a lot of other issues with the tele, and it's broadly not a very ergonomic guitar, but the bridge issue is a cheap and easy fix once you start getting paid.

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Modern-Style-Upgrade-bridge-Fits-Telereg-Stainless-Steel-Saddles-chrome_p_501.html

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
so I've got my audio interface plugged into one usb just cuz i've always used it that way and that's how i use my headphones, and i've got my helix plugged into a complete separate port and now that i'm saying it it sounds llke that might be a problem

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

muike posted:

so I've got my audio interface plugged into one usb just cuz i've always used it that way and that's how i use my headphones, and i've got my helix plugged into a complete separate port and now that i'm saying it it sounds llke that might be a problem

The really simple answer is to just plug the audio output of the helix into one of the inputs on the interface and just do everything through the focusrite. You might have some experimentation to do in terms of gain levels, and you’ll want to match line or instrument signal levels between the two, but it should work pretty easily. I don’t do a ton of recording, but this is basically my setup.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I own a 2010 Carvin DC800 and it’s a fantastic guitar. Really well built, easy to play, it’s a little heavy but balanced well.

I’ve heard some Kiesel horror stories recently, but they’re more about how Jeff is an rear end in a top hat and hates customers so dealing with issues can be harder now. Guitars still seem to be great though!

Any chance to find something on the used market? With their not great resale value, you may have the chance to save a bit of cash for something similar to what you’d spec.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Kiesel is something that should be exactly in my wheelhouse and the horror stories have turned me off of ever considering it.

Honestly any four-figure purchase that people use the word "horror stories" to describe I'm probably out on just in general.

I'd probably try an old Carvin though.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Southern Cassowary posted:

Kiesel is something that should be exactly in my wheelhouse and the horror stories have turned me off of ever considering it.

Honestly any four-figure purchase that people use the word "horror stories" to describe I'm probably out on just in general.

I'd probably try an old Carvin though.

Lmao I’m not sure if you were around during the custom builder massacres in 2011-2015, but gently caress man it was bad. I lost $2500 to Bernie Rico Jr (along with a bunch of other people totaling like $75000), RAN/Invictus/Rotor sent out a bunch of poo poo builds, Vik/Sims/Sherman/Decibel all scammed people. And there’s like a dozen more.

It was brutal, and made me realize that for all the issues big builders have, they’re less likely to just gently caress you and disappear.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Slothful Bong posted:

Lmao I’m not sure if you were around during the custom builder massacres in 2011-2015, but gently caress man it was bad. I lost $2500 to Bernie Rico Jr (along with a bunch of others totaling like $75000), RAN/Invictus/Rotor sent out a bunch of poo poo builds, Vik/Sims/Sherman/Decibel all scammed people. And there’s like a dozen more.

It was brutal, and made me realize that for all the issues big builders have, they’re less likely to just gently caress you and disappear.

I remember Bernie Rico Jr. and Decibel for sure.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

muike posted:

What The Leck said above would work (line out from Helix into your interface, recording the Helix like an instrument)), but I think that if you want just to use your Helix as an interface, then you can just plug that alone in via USB (no other interface) and plug your headphones into the Helix. When the Helix is working like an interface, I imagine that plugging the headphones into it would be like plugging the headphones into your USB interface in other recording scenarios.

I was running my Helix into an iPad and Cubasis this weekend, using it as a USB interface, and that's how it worked, so I'd imagine it'd be the same on a computer.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
If I’m dropping mid four figures (3k+) on a guitar I’m buying a Novo.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

lazerwolf posted:

If I’m dropping mid four figures (3k+) on a guitar I’m buying a Novo.

There are very few guitars in the world I would drop that much on, even though I have two expensive ones on the bucket list:

1. MusicMan Luke HSS
2. Suhr Standard Legacy Limited

On the other hand I won't mention how much I'm willing to pay for a bass...

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I just have a hard time imagining what you're getting out of a $3k production guitar that makes it twice the price of your average american made

If you're dropping that kind of cash, it should be a one-off hand-built by a skilled luthier exactly to your specifications sort of deal.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I'm in the "I'd only pay that much for a Suhr" camp. As I dig more into building my own t body and the art and science of guitars, it's clear that John has really good ideas, passion, and experience.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I would maybe pay 3 grand for one of those BC Rich’s with the fancy wood. Otherwise I can’t think of a reason I’d bother paying more than a grand.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

I think like, 400 gets you a good guitar (maybe cheaper, haven't personally played a Firefly/Harley Benton/Pacifica/etc) with a Classic Vibe or similar, and the American/Japanese production instruments feel like a step up in terms of fit-and-finish, hardware and pickup quality, resonance, etc once you get to around 1400-1500 bucks. Same thing with acoustics going from Yamaha/Seagull/etc into the production American Martin/Taylors.

I haven't personally had the want or encountered a situation where I could lay hands on something that costs 3k+ and I'd be interested in seeing how much of a difference there is between when you get one of the good higher-end production guitars.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

I’ll have to check out a Suhr sometime, I’ve seen the name pop up for years as a premier guitar but haven’t had the chance to play one. Their prices are wild, but if they’re really that good…

I think in todays market, you can get a really fantastic guitar for $1000 or less though, many of the $1500+ guitars are just fancier wood/pickups.

Though once you hit $2700+, you get into the poo poo that does really unique things - composite materials (aristides) crazy ergonomics and frets (oni), bizarro reclaimed wood (rick toone). Not sure I’d personally go that route unless music was my day job, but I’m glad there are people trying every weird idea they get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Slothful Bong posted:

I’ll have to check out a Suhr sometime, I’ve seen the name pop up for years as a premier guitar but haven’t had the chance to play one. Their prices are wild, but if they’re really that good…

I think in todays market, you can get a really fantastic guitar for $1000 or less though, many of the $1500+ guitars are just fancier wood/pickups.

Though once you hit $2700+, you get into the poo poo that does really unique things - composite materials (aristides) crazy ergonomics and frets (oni), bizarro reclaimed wood (rick toone). Not sure I’d personally go that route unless music was my day job, but I’m glad there are people trying every weird idea they get.

I would like if they made a 500 dollar Strandberg for the ergonomics specifically, I could try buying a knockoff but I don’t like the idea of taking the risk. They just look comfy.