Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1623707125087182850?s=20&t=K4W2r0G5hf8eaV7-mlLgnA

Nope, Big Navy says we can't have fun even back in the 50s

Edit: Could've been a worse top of page post, certainly could have been way better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1623707125087182850?s=20&t=K4W2r0G5hf8eaV7-mlLgnA

Nope, Big Navy says we can't have fun even back in the 50s

Edit: Could've been a worse top of page post, certainly could have been way better

I admit I winced watching them tumble all over that deck, but maybe nonskid wasn't the same skin-removing stuff back in 1956.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I admit I winced watching them tumble all over that deck, but maybe nonskid wasn't the same skin-removing stuff back in 1956.

I'm not sure it even was nonskid in the day. I think it was just painted teak.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

McNally posted:

I'm not sure it even was nonskid in the day. I think it was just painted teak.

You're probably right, but that makes me curious about when nonskid became the universal deck coating. Imma dive down this rabbit hole real quick, I'll let you all know if I find anything out before I get bored with it.

EDIT: Best I can find on nonskid is "Various types of NSMs were procured from a number of suppliers since the 1960s." from here. The Hancock got an angled-deck rebuild in 1955, but didn't get an aluminum flight deck until '64. So yeah, at that point probably still painted teak over thin steel.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 10, 2023

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Holy poo poo the guy lighting the engine with a zippo.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
That was genuinely funny. Military made humor is way better with no dialogue.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
When I googled about it, I was also suggested "The Man From LOX" which was a very odd film indeed. Warning, training film type jump scare gore at the end of that one.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
That was a great find. Had me cackling. Good to see nothing has changed in 60+ years.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
The hopping into the cockpit had me smiling.

The officer calling the plane back to yell at the pilot had me laughing.

Amazing, I'm glad the Fun Police didn't get all the copies.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Woo hop! My application for a direct hire GS11 position in the yards cleared HR! Time to stand by to haggle for a good step!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Crab Dad posted:

Woo hop! My application for a direct hire GS11 position in the yards cleared HR! Time to stand by to haggle for a good step!

Congrats!!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The full movie is 11 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KVqb94Vja8

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

Congrats! Truly a GiP inspirational story

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

Congrats! Truly a GiP inspirational story

Seriously. I’ll be leading a team contractor I was on back in 2016-2019. Has some travel but I don’t mind.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Crab Dad posted:

GS11 would kinda-sorta effectively make you a Lieutenant-equivalent.

So now Crab Dad isn't just in the running for MCPON, but also SecDef. :v:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Stultus Maximus posted:

That was genuinely funny. Military made humor is way better with no dialogue.

on the other hand, that evergreen gold bond video

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

maffew buildings posted:

Get a digital copy of your med records to review BEFORE you go for your check out physical and go over it in detail so you can fill in the gaps if your corpsmen thought it was too hard to do their job and document your encounters

Absofuckinglutely THIS.

The "physical" when you get out is not a loving physical it's an interview. And I was not prepared for it...I didn't realize it was going to consist entirely of an O-5 telling me to list everything I'd visited medical for. I thought it was a physical. I hadn't thought about my previous medical history, and the wording of the question was weird as gently caress...I almost never visited medical for a specific reason, I just brought things up at my annual physical. None of which was documented, I found out later when I finally got access to my records.

Edit: There's a similar comedy reel from a USAF squadron in Germany that'd just taken possession of F-86s. The only copy I've seen has that loving hamster dance song over it, so just mute it and enjoy.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Watching foreign flag engine room tours and I am surprised, the Triple-E actually looks semi-civilized but the Emma looks like a monstrosity designed to torment engineers. How can something so huge be so cramped? Are the APL ships like the K- and S-classes where it's a big cavern?

edit: also the variety in good vs. bad purifier rooms is immense the more of these I watch.

edit 2: loving camera angles, now I can't tell if the Emma looks bad or just normal.

slurm fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 15, 2023

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Look, whatever space we give the engineers is space we can’t use for cargo.

Also it’s real hard to get good camera angles in those spaces so the video can be a bit misleading. I wouldn’t say I’ve ever been in a “roomy” engine room though.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I bet a lot of Engineers wish they could have Engineering Spaces like the Enterprise D.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Triple E engine room looked pretty large except maybe the area around the ME. Unlike the trash 40 year old US flagged vessels, ships usually have a 10 year ROI expectation or whatever and don't have the maintenance needs we do.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Fivemarks posted:

I bet a lot of Engineers wish they could have Engineering Spaces like the Enterprise D.

In retrospect, some division officers and MPA's of my acquaintance must have thought that was the standard.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

lightpole posted:

Triple E engine room looked pretty large except maybe the area around the ME. Unlike the trash 40 year old US flagged vessels, ships usually have a 10 year ROI expectation or whatever and don't have the maintenance needs we do.

Yeah, but they give us 10 year ships when they're 10 years old at the youngest. Maersk Kansas flagged in at age 15 recently.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Yes, thats maritime security program money. May as well send ships that have already paid for themselves and get all the maintenance subsidized.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

lightpole posted:

Yes, thats maritime security program money. May as well send ships that have already paid for themselves and get all the maintenance subsidized.

It's a weird set of incentives because the US subsidiary wants to pocket the subsidy and the parent company wants to put it into keeping the thing running. I can never tell if we're just substantially worse engineers than the foreigners or if it's the age thing that makes every single job a headache.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I had an argument with the previous WC VP about that. Thermodynamics doesn't change just because you're Burmese or Indian or whatever, just the incentive and I've never seen anyone work harder than a Sri Lankan 4th engineer I met on a reflag. Foreign flag contracts are written to incentivize low/no maintenance while ours aren't. Certain companies, such as Matson, also have a business model that requires running balls to the wall and large company and government contracts that will hurt if they aren't on time.

APL is a case in point, they were having like weekly fires and shipboard disasters because they wanted to run ships the same way as the foreign flag does. The US engineers refused cause there's only the chance of dying without any additional compensation and the union supports them. I'm still trying to get in one of the government labs here and if I don't I'll just run for a union spot next election.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
I've also seen reflags though where it seems like they did a lot of maintenance and did it badly - chisel marks and stripped threads and jury-rigging in places you didn't even think things were possible. But I guess that's what happens when they do the maintenance on zero budget. I'm probably going to stick with Americans are the worst engineers in the world based on how little we get done for how much spend.

edit: running for union office is a good gimmick, it's got to be great if you get a full-time rep job at one of the halls with no collateral duties and don't get stuck running the government fleet or whatever.

slurm fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 15, 2023

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hell yeah going back to Fleetweek NYC. Wooo long days in dress whites!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Sigh

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

They told us we were going to fleet week once but then someone flooded a compartment and i spent a week at a titty bar in port canaveral instead

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

titties posted:

They told us we were going to fleet week once but then someone flooded a compartment and i spent a week at a titty bar in port canaveral instead

Ooof Canaveral titty bars look rough from the outside.

As a dirty civilian what does Fleet Week Entail and why is it a big deal?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

titties posted:

Post/name/av combo masterpiece here

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nystral posted:

Put a bunch of service members in dress uniforms out and about and paint the town red. Bonus points for returning to the ship without uniform items. Open the ship for tours.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nystral posted:

If you have an out going personality it’s a lot of fun being a representative of the Navy to the public who generally doesn’t talk to service people. For me it will mean working from 7-4 each day then wandering the town eating and drinking for nearly free. Also yeah fending off sexual assault and theft of my uniform parts. I always bring extra covers and makeup removal wipes.
Also Broadway shows! I’ll basically be watching a different show every night the entire time I’m there.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Crab Dad posted:

If you have an out going personality it’s a lot of fun being a representative of the Navy to the public who generally doesn’t talk to service people. For me it will mean working from 7-4 each day then wandering the town eating and drinking for nearly free. Also yeah fending off sexual assault and theft of my uniform parts. I always bring extra covers and makeup removal wipes.
Also Broadway shows! I’ll basically be watching a different show every night the entire time I’m there.

Jesus Christ

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Crab Dad posted:

This will never stop being funny

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Nystral posted:

I don't know because i didn't get to go but i can give you a trip report of the strip club 50 feet from the gate:

Went in at 11 am. People were there. Pitchers were $1.50, which was a miraculous rate even for 20 years ago.

Drank beer and got dances for 4 hours, the dancers were pretty and nice 10/10

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

SquirrelyPSU posted:

This will never stop being funny

:same:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Crab Dad posted:

Hell yeah going back to Fleetweek NYC. Wooo long days in dress whites!

Oh hey imagine that.

Godholio posted:

"There" = home station. I was mostly thinking about how you seem to escape to fleet week regularly and got to cruise the med on a not-too-lovely boat, and got stuck in Italy. And now another hardship that I won't name to avoid any superstitious issues.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

For the record, PCON Crab Dad would not get probated if he appended the disclaimer to his posts, and they’ve been made aware of this.

I just have a duty to ensure our lurkers’ safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Get your victory Mickey D's meals in, PFT resets are dropping boys