Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I grew up around Fall River so I guess I had the bad luck to be right over the American Chop Suey Line :smith:

e; Terrible snipe apology map:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Minenfeld! posted:

What the gently caress is American goulash?

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

American goulash is great! It's pasta with tomato sauce, stock, ground beef, and spices like onion powder and garlic powder. It's absolute snobbery to say it's gross, it's a combination of only delicious things.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

In my family that was called hamburger casserole. I've never heard it called goulash, though apparently that really is a thing. Maybe it's regional?

It's also... not bad I guess? Not great, just cheap and filling. Definitely not on my top 50 worst foods.

Tuna casserole on the other hand :barf:

Family Values fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 10, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i think i could eat hot tuna casserole but cold pasta salad is my barrier

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is stegte sild like the Dutch version where it's just a whole fried fish (bones and all) or is it something weirder?

I've been to Denmark dozens of times, my dad has lived there for almost 20 years, and I've never heard of it.
It's mostly associated with Bornholm, and it's literally just butter fried herring fillets. The most hosed up part is using rye bread for breading, and spicing them up with mustard. Probably the second-least hosed up Scandinavian fish dish.

NDP posted:

And why isn't haggis listed for Scotland?
I've always heard haggis is pretty good after you get over the presentation. Have yet to confirm that though.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I've always heard haggis is pretty good after you get over the presentation. Have yet to confirm that though.

offal sucks and 2500 years of culinary progress can't hide it

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

i say swears online posted:

offal sucks and 2500 years of culinary progress can't hide it
I suppose that makes sense. The UKMT talked up Irn-Bru too, but that's pretty bad, so it'd make sense if haggis is also being graded on a curve.

I would question whether it truly has 2500 years of culinary progress behind it though.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

haggis is also being graded on a curve.

I would question whether it truly has 2500 years of culinary progress behind it though.

look we all tell lies

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's fine. It's kinda like boring boudin. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, but I haven't had any that was as bad as the reputation.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Kuzu kelle is a top tier food in Turkey, a country of pretty much only great food. Only bouillabaisse makes a better soup imo. And the better gumbos.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Unreal_One posted:

It's fine. It's kinda like boring boudin. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, but I haven't had any that was as bad as the reputation.

I think haggis's reputation stems entirely from some certain kinds of people balking at the idea of eating that part of the animal, rather than any reports on its taste or texture.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

NDP posted:

I'm of half-Norwegian descent and have no problem with lutefisk being on that list. Its consumption is not a culinary tradition but a grueling rite-of-passage Scandinavians do only once.

Nah, like an earlier poster said, it's just a dish that tastes of nothing. I'm 50/50 Swedish/Norwegian, but lived in Sweden my entire childhood, and I never understood why my Norwegian uncles and grandparents were ok with cooking something that made their entire house smell of fish for three days when the end result is something so devoid of tase. Unless you have an extreme aversion to the somewhat slimy texture you won't be gagging or anything when you eat it.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
Also, if "skånsk spettkaka" is similar to Norwegian "spettekake" you can add it to the not-bad-tasting-just-bland pile. At large get-togethers with my Norwegian relatives, there would be this large upside-down cone pyramid cake with a bunch of Norwegian flags in it that was always placed somewhere very visible long before it was to be eaten. As a kid it looked like the most amazing dessert ever, but when you finally got to eat it it was this dry pretzel-like cake that was barely even sweet, so definitely dissapointing as hell but not disgusting or anything.

edit: This appears to be known as "kransekake" or "tårnekake" everywhere I look on the internet, but it was definitely called "spettekake" or something very similar by my Norwegian relatives when I was a kid.

Offler fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Feb 10, 2023

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Offler posted:

Also, if "skånsk spettkaka" is similar to Norwegian "spettekake" you can add it to the not-bad-tasting-just-bland pile. At large get-togethers with my Norwegian relatives, there would be this large upside-down cone pyramid cake with a bunch of Norwegian flags in it that was always placed somewhere very visible long before it was to be eaten. As a kid it looked like the most amazing dessert ever, but when you finally got to eat it it was this dry pretzel-like cake that was barely even sweet, so definitely dissapointing as hell but not disgusting or anything.

edit: This appears to be known as "kransekake" or "tårnekake" everywhere I look on the internet, but it was definitely called "spettekake" or something very similar by my Norwegian relatives when I was a kid.
A (Danish) kransekage is very different from whatever spettekake appears to be, being made of marcipan, sugar, and egg white, rather than eggs, potato flour and sugar. I'd definitely not call it "barely even sweet" either, though it is rather bland in its overpowering sweetness. (Which I used to love as a kid but definitely grew out of over time.)

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

American goulash is great! It's pasta with tomato sauce, stock, ground beef, and spices like onion powder and garlic powder. It's absolute snobbery to say it's gross, it's a combination of only delicious things.

In my region/house it's not tomato sauce - it's tomato juice and the whole thing becomes lovely soup

Possibly my least favorite meal growing up

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

A (Danish) kransekage is very different from whatever spettekake appears to be, being made of marcipan, sugar, and egg white, rather than eggs, potato flour and sugar. I'd definitely not call it "barely even sweet" either, though it is rather bland in its overpowering sweetness. (Which I used to love as a kid but definitely grew out of over time.)

The "barely even sweet" thing may be my memory playing tricks on me, I haven't tasted one in 30 years or so. I definitely remember it tasting dry and dissapointing after all the buildup though.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My wedding cake was a kransekage

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Offler posted:

The "barely even sweet" thing may be my memory playing tricks on me, I haven't tasted one in 30 years or so. I definitely remember it tasting dry and dissapointing after all the buildup though.
I was talking about kransekage there. Based on your pretzel description and the ingredients, I would not be surprised if the two types of cake had similar issues with easily becoming too dry, but spettekake suffering far more. Sufficient dryness is kind of overpowering in its own right.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If your kransekage is dry, you've hosed up.

Another one from the list, Finnish kalakukko is fish baked inside a rye bread dough and it can be really drat tasty.

The name means "fish cock"*.

* Actually rooster, but cock is funnier.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
My mama called goulash "Christmas stew" because of the red sauce and green peppers in it, because she thought my brother and I as children would not like to eat something called goulash and love Christmas

It worked I fuckin' love goulash

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Another one from the list, Finnish kalakukko is fish baked inside a rye bread dough and it can be really drat tasty.

The name means "fish cock"*.

* Actually rooster, but cock is funnier.

In shocking news, cock and rooster are synonyms in English.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

I mean, there is the question of what dry means to any given person. Based on how many of them I've found too dry, I feel like a lot of people prefer them drier than I do.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I mean, there is the question of what dry means to any given person. Based on how many of them I've found too dry, I feel like a lot of people prefer them drier than I do.

You should try baking your own, it's just marzipan, powdered sugar and egg whites.

I've had dry-rear end store-bought kransekage before, and the homemade stuff is in a completely different league. People only eat the dry poo poo because they think that's the only stuff you can get.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

You should try baking your own, it's just marzipan, powdered sugar and egg whites.

I've had dry-rear end store-bought kransekage before, and the homemade stuff is in a completely different league. People only eat the dry poo poo because they think that's the only stuff you can get.
I have. If I'm going to be baking anyway I'm gonna make something new or with a more interesting flavor profile though.

But yes, the dry-rear end store-bought version appears to be the benchmark other people use.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's why you add nougat filling, I can't be bothered to eat it plain anymore.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

I thought this was very funny because I am dumb.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It is very funny... wait, oh nooo

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

To Dutch-speaking ears, "spettkaka" sounds like diarrhea ("spetterkak").

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Pope Hilarius II posted:

To Dutch-speaking ears, "spettkaka" sounds like diarrhea ("spetterkak").

"Sputter poo poo." loving love it

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Sounds like the horrid “salt cookies” they eat here, the TRUE inexplicably ubiquitous and terrible Turkish food. Tastes like a pretzel flavored brick of chalk, yet somehow it’s packed with sugar.

NDP
Jun 25, 2021

Offler posted:

Nah, like an earlier poster said, it's just a dish that tastes of nothing. I'm 50/50 Swedish/Norwegian, but lived in Sweden my entire childhood, and I never understood why my Norwegian uncles and grandparents were ok with cooking something that made their entire house smell of fish for three days when the end result is something so devoid of tase. Unless you have an extreme aversion to the somewhat slimy texture you won't be gagging or anything when you eat it.

The texture is a BIG factor in why I don't like lutefisk.

JesustheDarkLord posted:

In my region/house it's not tomato sauce - it's tomato juice and the whole thing becomes lovely soup

Possibly my least favorite meal growing up

What I can't figure out is how real Hungarian goulash became American goulash because the two are nothing alike. Hungarian goulash is a type of vegetable beef stew that's heavy on paprika. American goulash seems like the result of a non-Italian's attempt to make a traditional Italian pasta dish without ever eating Italian food, reading any Italian recipes, and having only a vague idea of what Italian food is supposed to be like.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

NDP posted:

American goulash seems like the result of a non-Italian's attempt to make a traditional Italian pasta dish without ever eating Italian food, reading any Italian recipes, and having only a vague idea of what Italian food is supposed to be like.

Being born in New England makes sense then, just enough Italians for the WASPs to peek over their fences and go "Begawd Margery, those newcomers are sure making themselves quite the dish. After tea time why don't you try and do something like that for supper!"

Also tracks with the CT people itt like myself not knowing what it is, too many Italians in CT.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

That's why you add nougat filling, I can't be bothered to eat it plain anymore.
I'm embarrassed to say I hadn't considered adding filling, because that makes a ton of sense.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

My grandmother made American chop suey with sauteed peppers and onions, ground beef, and ketchup (and maybe Worcestershire sauce), and I swear doused in Frank's red hot it's absolutely delicious.

Maybe she used garlic or something else flavorful too, because I do remember the school lunch kind being super gross, although I attributed that to the lack of hot sauce.

Nowadays I make a variation of that, attempting to bring a little east Asian flavor back in. Sauteed peppers, onion, and garlic, swap the ketchup for sofrito and the Worcestershire sauce for soy sauce, and add rice vinegar to taste for some tang (since my theory of why it's delicious with hot sauce is the vinegar). It's a rare dish that both the kids and the wife like, and still great doused in Frank's.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Kids don't want nuanced flavors and adults usually base their opinions on what they felt or experiencesd as children

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Youremother posted:

I grew up around Fall River so I guess I had the bad luck to be right over the American Chop Suey Line :smith:

e; Terrible snipe apology map:

I liked the gimmick version of these ones, where it would be like “gal”, “broad”, and then in the south “the jew’s man”

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

IMO the New England contribution to that list should be gas station cellophane pizza.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I liked the gimmick version of these ones, where it would be like “gal”, “broad”, and then in the south “the jew’s man”

They were from the front page

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/dialect-map-racist/1/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Kids don't want nuanced flavors and adults usually base their opinions on what they felt or experiencesd as children

The most American opinion.

In real life, kids enjoy all sorts of wide and varied things that their parents give to them. The concept of what is a "good food" for kids has basically everything to do with culture - curiously, lots of kids around the world don't eat only chickie nuggies.