Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

If you have nukes and get rid of them you're an idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Scholtz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4uSkAACoHc

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/BazakeMedia/status/1623264099306971138?s=20

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Kiefer Sutherland really brings a lot to this scene.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Scholtz posted:

Kiefer Sutherland really brings a lot to this scene.

I saw it when I last fired up my PS4 (MGSVTPP was in it) and I have to say I've never been less whelmed in my life.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Scholtz posted:

Both the Russian and American governments have gotten rid of nukes. Your point stands.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Scholtz posted:

What do you think SALT I and II were for my friend

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

BonHair posted:

Both the Russian and American governments have gotten rid of nukes. Your point stands.

I mean, the US doesn't really get rid of nukes. We just have so many that we can't and don't maintain them properly so they're not viable for any use and then we improperly store some of them because plans for actual decommissions and safe storage of nuclear materials has been at a standstill for decades.

You could probably say that the US has only ever gotten rid of 2 nukes.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Jamesman posted:

I mean, the US doesn't really get rid of nukes. We just have so many that we can't and don't maintain them properly so they're not viable for any use and then we improperly store some of them because plans for actual decommissions and safe storage of nuclear materials has been at a standstill for decades.

You could probably say that the US has only ever gotten rid of 2 nukes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The US and USSR let off so many nukes in tests that the world in general became sufficiently radioactive that people stole bits of pre-war shipwreck to make geiger counters out of it because producing steel that wasn't slightly radioactive was quite difficult.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 22:48 on Feb 9, 2023

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

they know where all six are, recovery is just absurdly difficult. aside from that, there's been a number of treaties where both sides dismantled a whole lot of nuclear weapons, with each side allowed to inspect/monitor the others progress.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/START_I

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Scholtz posted:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

I loved this movie as a kid, the underground nuke scene was pretty well-made but I doubt the rest of it holds up today, even if this scene is objectively the most hilarious way to kill off a villain.

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Also the star's name is spelled Betelgeuse, but it is thanks to the movie that I know how it's pronounced in English (in Dutch you pronounce it as ['betɘlɣø:zɘ] for those who can read IPA).

Late to the party and I can only drink IPAs, but phonetically isn't it pronounced like 'kettle weiss' or am I way off?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Spoiling Harry Potter media is a time-honored tradition.

That one lady shouting “You bitch! YOU BIIIIIIIIITCH!!!” will forever live in my head, filed neatly next to the sound of that one attempted robber getting a bat to the head, and that girl getting hit by a shovel.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Harry Potter and the Hermione Dies is one of my favorite early SA memories

e: I'm pretty sure it came from here

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Dewgy posted:

That one lady shouting “You bitch! YOU BIIIIIIIIITCH!!!” will forever live in my head, filed neatly next to the sound of that one attempted robber getting a bat to the head, and that girl getting hit by a shovel.

:same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcGFVcb500Q&t=103s

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Harry Potter and the Hermione Dies is one of my favorite early SA memories

e: I'm pretty sure it came from here

When my cousin was little, he liked the Harry Potter books/movies. He was telling me the plot of Chamber of Secrets in the way you'd expect any kid to tell you any story, and you gotta pretend to care.

Then he straight-up tells me "Hermione dies" and I thought I was having a stroke.

Edit: I remember it was Chamber of Secrets because Hermione gets turned to stone, so he thought she "died."

Jamesman has a new favorite as of 01:13 on Feb 10, 2023

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

alcatraz gently caress boy posted:

I fired up new vegas recently am I an ally

I've played New Vegas twice and loved it, but I don't recall any trans stories or characters. How is it that New Vegas ended up being embraced by the trans community? I see it all over Twitter as well. Is it just because lots of trans people play video games and New Vegas is an amazing game? Is it like how the Babadook accidentally became a gay icon?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I've played New Vegas twice and loved it, but I don't recall any trans stories or characters. How is it that New Vegas ended up being embraced by the trans community? I see it all over Twitter as well. Is it just because lots of trans people play video games and New Vegas is an amazing game? Is it like how the Babadook accidentally became a gay icon?

A handful of terminally online trans people-- pretty sure I know at least one-- are absolutely obsessed with New Vegas and posting about it.

Because LGBTQ+ iconography boils down to "we really like this so it's ours now" and you'd have to be a real sourpuss to go against that, yeah New Vegas is a trans thing now. Sure.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Probably a combination of several factors.The best explanation I've found is this Know Your Meme article that claims it stems from a now-defunct LGTBQ blog making a post criticizing the portrayal of a Super Mutant that identified as female. This sparked discussion in queer spaces that brought the game to the attention of more queer people.

New Vegas also had a pretty good portrayal of gay characters, in that it didn't make a big deal about them being gay. It also let you pick perks to be gay/bi (and I suppose by not picking any of them you could roleplay as being ace) which SA has its own homegrown meme about. Its a small thing, but its something that helps a openly queer person or someone who is struggling with their identity to feel more comfortable.

And finally, New Vegas is just really popular with terminally online people and a lot of trans people are terminally online.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

yeah what dril said

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

1stGear posted:

Probably a combination of several factors.The best explanation I've found is this Know Your Meme article that claims it stems from a now-defunct LGTBQ blog making a post criticizing the portrayal of a Super Mutant that identified as female. This sparked discussion in queer spaces that brought the game to the attention of more queer people.

New Vegas also had a pretty good portrayal of gay characters, in that it didn't make a big deal about them being gay. It also let you pick perks to be gay/bi (and I suppose by not picking any of them you could roleplay as being ace) which SA has its own homegrown meme about. Its a small thing, but its something that helps a openly queer person or someone who is struggling with their identity to feel more comfortable.

And finally, New Vegas is just really popular with terminally online people and a lot of trans people are terminally online.

I remember seeing a hilarious rant from someone who didn't know that "confirmed bachelor" was old timey slang for being gay, picked the perk because they wanted to be more of an alpha male, then got confused when a bunch of male npcs started hitting on them.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Grassy Knowles posted:

Then we would need 35,100 more

Exactly, he owns stock in Northrop Grumman

There's no transphobia in warcraft 3 baby :cool:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

ponzicar posted:

I remember seeing a hilarious rant from someone who didn't know that "confirmed bachelor" was old timey slang for being gay, picked the perk because they wanted to be more of an alpha male, then got confused when a bunch of male npcs started hitting on them.

Yeah, that was the SA original I was referring to. Even Josh Sawyer, the game's director, got in on dunking on that guy.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

ponzicar posted:

the saga in question

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

What did that collector think? That buying one of the top toilets in the UK wouldn't smell of piss?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

mind the walrus posted:

A handful of terminally online trans people-- pretty sure I know at least one-- are absolutely obsessed with New Vegas and posting about it.

Because LGBTQ+ iconography boils down to "we really like this so it's ours now" and you'd have to be a real sourpuss to go against that, yeah New Vegas is a trans thing now. Sure.

yeah?

are you mad about the shark

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rm0hb7nh1g1zixn0t_720.mp4

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ettore Boiardi on his way to stop Americans from putting pineapple on a pizza

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

mind the walrus posted:

I'm sorry that trans people like the same stuff you do, I'll be sure to bring up your concerns at the next trans meeting. Maybe we will hold a vote and release New Vegas to the cis so that it can once again be enjoyed by you.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Overcooked 3: Food Marathon

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

finally got archives for this and lol lmao

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Code Jockey posted:

yeah?

are you mad about the shark

Zil posted:

I'm sorry that trans people like the same stuff you do, I'll be sure to bring up your concerns at the next trans meeting. Maybe we will hold a vote and release New Vegas to the cis so that it can once again be enjoyed by you.

I think you’re misconstruing that post pretty badly

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Also the star's name is spelled Betelgeuse, but it is thanks to the movie that I know how it's pronounced in English (in Dutch you pronounce it as ['betɘlɣø:zɘ] for those who can read IPA).

Actually the star was Michael Keaton and he was just playing a character named Betelgeuse

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

They said 'you'd have to be a real sourpuss to go against that' not a screed about the woke left cancelling people for not surrendering to the Gay Agenda! C'mon people how do you take that as antagonistic?!

https://twitter.com/SumoYokai/status/1619517996267110400
https://twitter.com/truewagner/status/1618307724101443584?t=hKGCRSrTth1HQ9ZbXTZ7Xw&s=19

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
If Rowling hadn’t gone full terf (or at least, hadn’t been so loud and public about it), didn’t she basically have the chance to be one of the least objectionable billionaires around? I don’t think billionaires should exist at all, but amassing that sort of wealth through writing novels or making music or drawing pictures is 1000x better than exploiting labour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Hahah