Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

mlmp08 posted:

No, I think Hersh oversimplifies and sees connections where he wants to and sources poorly. I don’t think Hersh is antisemitic. He’s Jewish himself. I think he misunderstood Clinton and assumes without evidence that she favored a hard line with Iran due to, in Hersh’s words, “Jewish money.” I think he’s wrong, and Clinton would still be anti-Iran absent any influence from any pro-Israel lobby and absent her being elected in New York, specifically.

He said (emphasis added):

https://www.democracynow.org/2007/10/2/seymour_hersh_white_house_intensifying_plans

I can think of a lot of reasons, from Clinton’s pretty hawkish background and history, why she would be anti-Iran even without being of a senator from New York.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbJDjNLzv8U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m glad that channel is still going

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

euphronius posted:

I’m glad that channel is still going

lol have you checked in since 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
I think it is problematic that mlp consistently denigrates Seymour Hersh, a Jewish man, and Hilary Clinton, a woman. It kinda puts their earlier criticism of Vladimir Putin, an Eastern European POC in a darker light, IMO

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Freezer posted:

The 12 challenger tanks are more than enough to hold them, it'll be like the movie 300 surely.

Do you think people know British tank units tried to do just that in Thermopylae during the German invasion of Greece or do you think that campaign is absent from popular memory? One of the cast of Dad’s Army was wounded in the fighting for the pass iirc.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Frosted Flake posted:

Do you think people know British tank units tried to do just that in Thermopylae during the German invasion of Greece or do you think that campaign is absent from popular memory? One of the cast of Dad’s Army was wounded in the fighting for the pass iirc.

Two infantry brigades, one Australian and one from New Zealand, unless it happened twice.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Weka posted:

Two infantry brigades, one Australian and one from New Zealand, unless it happened twice.

1st Armoured Brigade, unless I’m very much mistaken, which, it was confusing enough I may be.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

God dudes rock. Just reminds me of repeat cavalry charges against fixed positions in Great War. How often did they - oh no

The US Civil war had people saying how bad that was but

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
how did the germans win that one lol?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tankbuster posted:

how did the germans win that one lol?

the US civil war? by exiling liberals in 1848

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That was Rhodesia and they did it by sending plans for the ak47 back in time

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Slavvy posted:

That was Rhodesia and they did it by sending plans for the ak47 back in time

henry turtlehawk

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Private Cumshoe posted:

Roger Waters still producing hits at the UN

he's not a chud, but he's wrapped back around to being so far left that he sincerely believes the russian war in ukraine is meant to destroy the nazis infesting the ukrainian government and to prevent the genocide of russian culture in eastern ukraine. he also insists taiwan is part of china and that julian assange is a political prisoner - so pretty much all the stuff that's going to maximize controversy. his main guidepost seems to be strong anti-americanism, which is pretty good considering of all the places he could live in th eworld he lives in a big mansion on long island

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

redneck nazgul posted:

he's not a chud, but he's wrapped back around to being so far left that he sincerely believes the russian war in ukraine is meant to destroy the nazis infesting the ukrainian government and to prevent the genocide of russian culture in eastern ukraine. he also insists taiwan is part of china and that julian assange is a political prisoner

wow crazy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

redneck nazgul posted:

he's not a chud, but he's wrapped back around to being so far left that he sincerely believes the russian war in ukraine is meant to destroy the nazis infesting the ukrainian government and to prevent the genocide of russian culture in eastern ukraine. he also insists taiwan is part of china and that julian assange is a political prisoner - so pretty much all the stuff that's going to maximize controversy. his main guidepost seems to be strong anti-americanism, which is pretty good considering of all the places he could live in th eworld he lives in a big mansion on long island

he's right

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

redneck nazgul posted:

Syq

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1623826157224222722

oh hey that twitter thread passed around as thirty vehicles destroyed was photoshopped to have more equipment than the reality

https://youtu.be/LOuHW4jPJGs - literally the same video but from ukrainian war reporter

just lmaoing that osint, oryx, and co. are specifically being targeted to launder propaganda and they're either credulous and actively going along with it

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Frosted Flake posted:

1st Armoured Brigade, unless I’m very much mistaken, which, it was confusing enough I may be.

"The defence of the Thermopylae line had entailed the blocking of three main routes: one between the sea and the northern slopes of the backbone of hills; one through the Brallos Pass—the main road to Athens; and one to the south of Mount Parnassus through Delphi. The New Zealand Division held the first and the 6th Australian Division the second. The third was not immediately accessible to the Germans, but after the Greek collapse in Epirus it also had to be defended. Throughout 22nd and 23rd April there was intermittent artillery fire and some dive-bombing. On the 24th there was an artillery duel lasting until the middle of the afternoon and culminating in an attack on the 6th New Zealand Brigade at Molos by infantry and tanks of the 6th Mountain and 5th Panzer Divisions.8 The weight fell on 25th New Zealand Battalion, which stood firm, dealt with the German infantry, and enabled the artillery to destroy about fourteen tanks. At 9 p.m. the action was over and 6th New Zealand Brigade was able to start its withdrawal as intended. At the Brallos Pass the 9th Australian Brigade was also able to disengage. Later in the night the German 72nd Division made a night attack at Molos, which hit the air. "

This is a little clearer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae_(1941)

Weka
May 5, 2019

redneck nazgul posted:

the russian war in ukraine is meant to destroy the nazis infesting the ukrainian government

This is true. Those nazis are a dagger pointed at Russia.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Slavvy posted:

You know AWACS can't see stuff on the ground right

That's not true, when I call in AWACS I get red dots on my minimap for at least 30s

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Weka posted:

This is true. Those nazis are a dagger pointed at Russia.

the "ukrainian nazis" trope has been debunked for over a year now

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

mila kunis posted:

if they're not nazis, why are they trying to join nato?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mila kunis posted:

post a pic of some random troops

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mila kunis posted:

Syq

Weka
May 5, 2019

mila kunis posted:

Sad that our brave troops don't even have fun bunk beds to sleep in.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

"People" don't even know basic things like don't rub your eye if its injured or infected.

"Thermo-what? I already got a puffer jacket dude."

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1623826157224222722

oh hey that twitter thread passed around as thirty vehicles destroyed was photoshopped to have more equipment than the reality

https://youtu.be/LOuHW4jPJGs - literally the same video but from ukrainian war reporter

just lmaoing that osint, oryx, and co. are specifically being targeted to launder propaganda and they're either credulous and actively going along with it

Should have sent around a re-photoshopped version that showed over 500 vehicles destroyed.

Imagine the planning fuckery that would have ensued.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mila kunis posted:

Found another one that needs their tattoos checked. Put 'em into the van with the others.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the most popular cable news show on tv criticizes the liberal media and biden administration for saying russia blew up their own pipeline, promotes hersh's article, and criticizes the liberal media for not following up on hersh's story!
https://twitter.com/GonzaloLira1968/status/1623679733669011460

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

comedyblissoption posted:

the most popular cable news show on tv criticizes the liberal media and biden administration for saying russia blew up their own pipeline, promotes hersh's article, and criticizes the liberal media for not following up on hersh's story!
https://twitter.com/GonzaloLira1968/status/1623679733669011460

the "US blew up the pipeline" trope has been debunked for over a year now

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

CODChimera posted:

lol

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CODChimera posted:

Well done. You have successfully executed dot point 5 on today's list of things we're pushing on social media.

You can claim your reward of 1 (one) shrink wrapped dry tea biscuit from the common area on level 2.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/AndrewPerpetua/status/1623737296687177728

https://twitter.com/AndrewPerpetua/status/1623738130447695876

:thunk:

also it doesn't even exist yet lol

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sure the same Germany that can't even arm its own military, that has closed steel smelters permantently due to energy costs, will be absolutely cranking out their latest wunderwaffe by the thousands.

Any buyers lined up yet or is it just a future potential maybe possibly theoretically funded bundeswehr purchase by committee?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

DancingShade posted:

I'm sure the same Germany that has closed steel smelters permantently due to energy costs, will be absolutely cranking out their latest wunderwaffe by the thousands.

Hmm it seems like two prongs of the Ukraine strategy were incompatible unless damaging Europe was also a priority…

“NATO exists to Keep the Russians Out, Germans Down and Americans In”

Weka
May 5, 2019

One good thing out of three isn't too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Yesterday afternoon I arrived in Grozny, the capital of Chechnya. As soon as you taxi off the runway, it's made very clear where you are:

We ordered a taxi through Yandex to get to our hotel, but after a couple of minutes the driver sent us a message saying "Order another car!". At the same time, Tagir - an older Chechen guy with a traditional hat - was trying to sell his taxi services to us: "500 rubles to the centre! I'm not scamming you, I swear!".

Not wanting to deal with more apps, we agreed to have Tagir drive us. On the way to his car we met Dima, a 20-something year old just standing around smoking. Apparently they knew each other, and Tagir invited him to ride along because they wanted to catch up. Dima is apparently not ethnically Chechen, and prefers to speak Russian over Chechen, so fortunately for us we could follow their conversation.

Dima had just come back from one of the Chechen units at the front. He'd fought in several of the towns that you've heard about if you follow the day-to-day frontline updates, and was now home because he'd been shot by a sniper in Bakhmut. He's injured, but feels fine, and has been asking his Voenkomat (military enlistment office) to be allowed to return to Kherson (for example, as an instructor) in order to see his brother who is currently deployed there. He claimed that the (presumably Ukrainian) sniper who shot him, who they later killed, was a woman.

We heard this story while driving down the Vladimir Putin Avenue ...

(Side note: Taking pictures from the taxi didn't quite work, so we went back later after the sun was already down to snap these.)

... and looking at some of the murals they arranged there.

The rest of the afternoon was mostly uneventful. Grozny is actually a pretty nice city, with different kinds of shops selling whatever your heart desires:

As a Muscovite, it's very noticeable that Grozny and the population of Chechnya are much more connected to what's going on at the moment than people in Moscow. You see some Zs and some art related to the war in Moscow, but it's nowhere near as present as it is here.

I want to get a feel for what people here are thinking. Lets see what happens today ...