Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (July 2-4, 1923)

A safe and sane Fourth, 1923 style: lighting a fire under a paper balloon and letting the flaming wreckage drift off into the neighborhood.

Toonerville Folks (September 6-8, 1920; spoilered for one straight out of the minstrel show.)

Dok's "Tempting Fate Once Too Often" Duck (July 28, 1914)

And further up the page, one of the reasons there wasn't a Potlatch in 1915.

And a few months ago it was Mexico they were sweating over. Go figure.

Little Lefty (January 3-5, 1938)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (January 13-15, 1941)

Holy poo poo! There's no way that kid's not dead, right?
Not from the impact shown here, but he's getting pancaked when that cow touches down.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

thisusedyet posted:

Not from the impact shown here, but he's getting pancaked when that cow touches down.

Taken 30 years too soon.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

thisusedyet posted:

There's two kids left on that sled, so maybe at least one of them got out with just a crushed pelvis.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 10, 2023

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Would Ethan Frome been better or worse with a cow?

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Weembles posted:

Would Ethan Frome been better or worse with a cow?

Never heard of Ethan Frome before, looked it up.
Fuckin' depressing as all hell, man.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Feb 23, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jan 5-6, 1993)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
References Ergo Humor

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 09, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

B. Virtanen

ANSU

Fingerpori

I don't know much about cars, I don't know a saying specifically about cars going cuckoo

VKing
Apr 22, 2008

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori
I don't know much about cars, I don't know a saying specifically about cars going cuckoo

Maybe it's something about running like a Swiss clock?

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Strontium posted:

References Ergo Humor

We trained an AI on over twenty years of geek culture webcomics, then asked it to create a comic of its own. Here's what it came up with.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Howard Beale posted:

We trained an AI on over twenty years of geek culture webcomics, then asked it to create a comic of its own. Here's what it came up with.

In 2014, the machines declared war.

Seriously, I thought it was only a few years old but look at the date on that article! July 7th, 2014! I could have sworn it was more recent, it's only been posted for a couple years, right? Anyways, let's take a look at that article:

quote:

For his crew of four main characters, Reddick pulls from himself and those around him growing up in Indianapolis as a sci-fi and comic-book fan surrounded by those who adore Hoosier basketball, Colts football and the Indianapolis 500.

Skip's the kind of guy who knows all the dialogue from episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation, and he's the polar opposite of his co-worker Barry, the top salesman at Finch Marketing and a super-jock who's ready to drop and do 200 pushups whenever the mood strikes.

Skip's colleague — and crush — Gwen is a well-balanced, strong-willed individual, though her one weakness is cat memes on the Internet. And Mike is Skip's best pal who's excessively vocal about his geekdom for all things video games, comics and galaxies far, far away.

"Skip's a mix between Mike, the extreme, and Gwen, a more balanced voice of reason. That said, Gwen has her own nerdy geeky things that come out," Reddick says. "Barry's actually a lot like Mike. Barry will absolutely take his shirt off, paint his body the color of his favorite team, and go to work that way wearing a beer hat.

"Each character is a different level of fanaticism in some kind of way that I can exercise and play with."

If it was a 1980s movie, Barry would probably come off as the villainous bully, but in a modern culture where The Big Bang Theory and other properties have put geeks at the top of the entertainment food chain, he's a refreshing and sporty balance to the various geekery.

Imagine Sheldon Cooper as buff Peyton Manning super fan, and there's a little bit of what Reddick is trying to capture.

"Barry does not get Skip, he doesn't understand him, yet he's exactly like Skip in his own way. And Skip doesn't get Barry either. There's a foil thing there but they both kinda dig each other in a way," Reddick says.

"Will Skip ever end up going to a baseball game with Barry? Who knows, you'll have to read the comic. Will Barry ever end up going to a comic convention? I doubt it but it'd be funny if he did."

For the first year or so of Intelligent Life, Reddick wants to develop his characters through stand-alone strips, but down the line wants to have bigger story lines such as Mike having a flight of fancy being on a sci-fi show or taking the whole crew to San Diego Comic-Con.

Reddick wants readers to get to know his nerds and maybe even see themselves in the strip.

"It's like a convention," he says. "You're in a place full of like-minded people, you belong, you see a whole bunch of other kindred spirits. I want IntelligentLife to feel that way."

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

It might be a regional thing, but there's an old saying that something "käy ja kukkuu", "runs and cuckoos", meaning it runs well.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Murdstone posted:

'Canadian dunkers'?

The only thing google gets me is

quote:

Jordan Kilganon is a 6’1” (185 cm) Canadian slam dunker.[1][2][3][4]

Kilganon was born in Sudbury, Ontario,[5] on April 28, 1992. Jordan Kilganon graduated from Humber College. He is a professional dunker making a living by taking part in dunk competitions and performing at various shows. In 2021, Jordan Kilganon won Dunk League 3, a contest pitting the world's best dunkers against each other for a $50,000 grand prize.

EasyEW posted:

And further up the page, one of the reasons there wasn't a Potlatch in 1915.

And a few months ago it was Mexico they were sweating over. Go figure.

It'll blow over in few months. Everyone will have forgotten about it by Christmas.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Sep. 18, 1955)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Oh boy, that On Our Way with the cow and the sled brought back some unhappy memories. Never thought a comic from almost a hundred years could do that.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/9/03

Now wait a moment -- Dude, Where's My Car? came out in 2000. Either Rob is a high school junior, or he has precognitive powers.

Brenda Starr 5/18-20/50

Smokey Stover 10/9/52

Everyday Movies 2/1/36

"If anyone wants me, Duke, I'll be in the Grand Central waiting room until noon, the library till 5 and eating at Cafferty's free lunch counter between then and 7."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 10/21-23/40

Saved by the Little Rascals' dog!

Selachian fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 10, 2023

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

NVTrainee
Jan 3, 2020

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

If Anthony's already this dense, I can't wait for what comes later on.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Samovar posted:

Oh boy, that On Our Way with the cow and the sled brought back some unhappy memories. Never thought a comic from almost a hundred years could do that.

:colbert:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

readingatwork posted:

Old School Peanuts (Feb 23, 1954)

no wonder shermy disappeared :tinfoil:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Quote is, as always, not edit.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 26, 1935)

Peanuts (February 13, 1976)

Miss Peach (July 28, 1989)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 12, 1939)

Olive & Popeye (which showed up a little late yesterday)

Out Our Way (January 16-18, 1941; spoiler for an Ick cartoon)

And meanwhile, in the real world...

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Man I missed the Creeps. Thank you for posting!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Ah yes, it's finally the part where Mary makes Estelle give Wilbur a fifth chance.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Willy the Djinn

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

"Excuse me, Mr. Phantom, sir? While you've been standing here ruminating, one of Savarna's grenades bounced into the cell block and killed all the innocent prisoners."

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hello,

ANSU is good. I loved the one with the fisherman unraveling himself.

Tegne Hanne is good. I loved the one with the poop in the spa joke.

I have never read a Holbrook comic and I never will no matter how many times you gluttons for punishment post that trash.

the bus

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Willie the Djinn is adorable :3

Classic Zits

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Suddenly I'm reminded of the Amber series of fantasy novels. One of the characters does something very similar.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 2/16-18/50

Archie 6/27-29/46

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

Suddenly I'm reminded of the Amber series of fantasy novels. One of the characters does something very similar.

Zelazny wrote like he was tripping balls, so that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Powered Descent posted:

:lol: I was about to make this same post.