Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

do your vassals practice slavery or deny ai full rights? the ai is exceptionally bad at managing slaves and once they've liberated themselves they're not going to be excited about having an overlord who was okay with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

What causes my vassals to abruptly spawn a new empire who hates me and them and usually declares was immediately? Is there some resistance movement mechanic that spawns these civil wars to throw off the big bad overlord?

That sounds like a rebellion, which splits off a new empire that hates their former rulers; as well as anyone associated with them through alliance or vassal/overlord relationship. There are a few ways rebellion can go, like a civil war is one possibility but also the rebels can instead instantly become vassals of a rival or sometimes the event chain bugs out and the rebels do their own thing until someone decides they look weak enough to invade.

An AI empire that is an ally or vassal or a humanplayer loses its difficulty bonuses, which usually includes a major Stability boost to offset the AIs tendency to be blind to unrest and other internal problems. Same goes for AIs at the start of a game with scaling difficulty enabled. Playing on Admiral/scaling I've had neighbors go through multiple rebellions in the first 50 or so years.

All of that is compounded by the fact that many AI personalities will readily conquer and enslave pre-FTL races, without doing anything to mitigate the inevitable slave revolts.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

silentsnack posted:

An AI empire that is an ally or vassal or a humanplayer loses its difficulty bonuses,
In the latest version, the AI is instead demoted to one difficulty lower worth of bonuses when vassalized by a human. I don't think it ever applied to allies or federation members.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Did a few more Commodore games where I got steamrolled despite doing what felt like everything right -- I scouted for choke points, built to them, fortified them up with gently caress-off bastions and researched military tech every time it was an option. Didn't matter; a 3k starbase is a speed bump to a 12k fleet.

So I turned on Scaling Difficulty set to Mid-Game. I'm not at mid-game yet so I'm not sure, but so far I like it much better. The galaxy hasn't clumped up behind one overpowered blob and my wars are winnable, but so far I've only picked on two weak bastards who had the bad luck to get hemmed in really tight and just didn't have the empire size needed to mount a real defense. So long as the game avoids becoming a cakewalk later on where I'm intentionally letting half my fleet capacity and planets sit idle because what's the goddamn point, I think I'll be happy.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
My DA game is basically done. Steamrolled 2 fallen empires, losing like 3 titans and less than a dozen battleships in the process. Then unbidden spawned and they got wrecked too. 15 fleets of a titan + 15 arty battleships + 16 strike craft cruisers did not care about their fleets even the tiniest bit. 3 fleets per maxed out shipyard starbase and they still run to a different system to refit. Wtf.

40+ planets and I've started transferring them to ring worlds. Biggest loss of doing that is building slots for rare resources and strongholds. :(

More diplo power than the rest of the Galaxy combined and I'm Perma guardian, going to declare emperor and once that plays out I'm done.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ilkhan posted:

My DA game is basically done. Steamrolled 2 fallen empires, losing like 3 titans and less than a dozen battleships in the process. Then unbidden spawned and they got wrecked too. 15 fleets of a titan + 15 arty battleships + 16 strike craft cruisers did not care about their fleets even the tiniest bit. 3 fleets per maxed out shipyard starbase and they still run to a different system to refit. Wtf.

40+ planets and I've started transferring them to ring worlds. Biggest loss of doing that is building slots for rare resources and strongholds. :(

More diplo power than the rest of the Galaxy combined and I'm Perma guardian, going to declare emperor and once that plays out I'm done.
Do you have a Mega Shipyard? Something I've noticed is that once you build one, your fleets will always gently caress off there to get upgraded, even if it means waiting in line -- I think they evaluate based solely on "where is the most shipyards", not travel time or queues.

Also, DAs being allowed to participate in diplomacy means they're absolutely the easiest way to become Emperor if you want that achievement. All you have to do is assimilate 51% of the galaxy.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 30, 2023

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
In my last game it seemed to me like it didn't evenly distribute ship upgrades between available shipyards (and I had captured 2 additional mega shipyards and they all had gateways in their system so it was a big difference) while the game was paused.

I'm not sure if that's actually what was happening though.

Edit: I do think that makes sense though, since a lot of things only update every daily tick.

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 30, 2023

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Adenoid Dan posted:

In my last game it seemed to me like it didn't evenly distribute ship upgrades between available shipyards (and I had captured 2 additional mega shipyards and they all had gateways in their system so it was a big difference) while the game was paused.

I'm not sure if that's actually what was happening though.

Edit: I do think that makes sense though, since a lot of things only update every daily tick.

Ship upgrade priorities get complete hosed up as soon as you get gateways. Before them, ships will always upgrade at the closest shipyard. Once you have gateways up and running, the game will choose a shipyard as a primary shipyard for upgrades, and only after it has a couple of fleets queued up there will it start sending ships to other shipyards. You can have 4 shipyard starbases with 4 fleets, one in each, and the game will try to send the fleets to other systems instead of trying to use the empty shipyard in the system they are in.

Once I get the Mega Shipyards tech, I get rid of every single other shipyard so they only use the Mega. It does mean you need to keep an eye out when you conquer new starbases and delete all of the shipyards the AI scatters all over, but you need to do that anyway to get trade routes restablished anyway.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I do something similar except I make a small cluster of shipyards in case I lose my mega shipyard. One time the Unbidden decided their portal+doomstack needed to spawn directly next to my mega shipyard and things got dicey real fast. I had to actually use the Juggernaut I built from boredom to shore up my stuff.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

binge crotching posted:

Once I get the Mega Shipyards tech, I get rid of every single other shipyard so they only use the Mega. It does mean you need to keep an eye out when you conquer new starbases and delete all of the shipyards the AI scatters all over, but you need to do that anyway to get trade routes restablished anyway.

Yeah I do that as well except for mega shipyards, because of the stacking bonuses. I usually leave the star base shipyard in the same system but I should probably just convert that to an anchorage.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
mega shipyard is for producing giant corvette stacks on the cheap, not for my fleets to run and cower to. Mega Shipyard goes deep in friendly territory, and my fleets and the facilities to repair them go to my chokeholds.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

It'd be nice if fleets didn't feel the need to only get upgraded at Mega Shipyards, but if they're gonna insist on automatically going there to do it, they ought to also automatically go back home when they're done. There are no crew quarters keeping upkeep costs down at the Mega Shipyard.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Do advanced empires work these days? Considering how happy the AI is to send out requests to become a vassal to anyone slightly stronger won't they just instantly do that if they run into one?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Yes. Which tbf to the AI makes sense. Holy poo poo they've got blue lasers and that's spooky, better not make them angry.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

In that case their personalities shouldn't be things like hegemonic imperialists or democratic crusaders but rather all should be submissive loyalists. In a game with slightly better diplomacy, EU4, a weaker empire will seek alliances instead of the entire HRE begging to become vassals of France and the Ottomans before 1450. Stellaris AI doesn't seem to even care about defensive pacts at all when it comes to shackling themselves to another empire forever.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Yeah the idea of a state willingly giving up its autonomy when it doesn't have to is absurd. I've said before that should only happen if the state would qualify as a protectorate in Stellaris terms, because that's the level of force disparity you'd need for it to make any sense.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I mean, you could argue there's no reason aliens would think about these things the same way we do, but that should be an explicit part of their AIs like Naive Appeasers will go "Yes sir you got it sir we're your vassals now!" and other types will invite you to gently caress all the way off.

Also, proper raging, 30+ hours into a game I was much enjoying and I run into the ol' Loading Map Graphics crash whenever I try loading the saves. :negative: No Earthly or Heavenly clue what mod is causing it. Granted it was specifically a game I was running on small size and timescale settings so I could test the modlist I had put together but I honestly thought I'd finally squashed all the bugs.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

New Dev Diary up

RETURN TO MONKE

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I'm really hype for this content it looks fun as gently caress.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

AtomikKrab posted:

New Dev Diary up

RETURN TO MONKE
A million cool points for that Colossus. The origin sounds interesting enough too.

But I’m here for Archaeotech and more poo poo to do with precursor artifacts. I would say it would be a good way to balance precursors better, but they went and gave Cybrex +100% resources from mining stations, which sounds pretty good!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

A million cool points for that Colossus. The origin sounds interesting enough too.

But I’m here for Archaeotech and more poo poo to do with precursor artifacts. I would say it would be a good way to balance precursors better, but they went and gave Cybrex +100% resources from mining stations, which sounds pretty good!
Only in that system, I think?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

ilkhan posted:

Only in that system, I think?

Per system so its gonna vary but if you get an absolutely beautiful system with great loot, boom, hopefully doubles strategics as well?

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Link to Dev Diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/stellaris-dev-diary-286-fear-and-archaeotechs-in-first-contact.1567756/

I wonder if uplifting forcibly devolved species still gives 500 Influence. Even if not, you still get the pops, wonder if there's a planetary debuff like the neutron sweep. A new second-best colossus weapon (behind the assimilator gun)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Haven’t played in a good while but this story pack has me fairly hype. Have they indicated any intention of doing something about the AI being trigger happy on turning themselves into vassals that I’ve heard so much about? And are you still basically handicapping yourself if you don’t create merc enclaves

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

AtomikKrab posted:

Per system so its gonna vary but if you get an absolutely beautiful system with great loot, boom, hopefully doubles strategics as well?
Hmm. Starbase module makes sense. Could be really valuable.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

A new second-best colossus weapon (behind the assimilator gun)
How is nanobot not best?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

ilkhan posted:

Hmm. Starbase module makes sense. Could be really valuable.

How is nanobot not best?

It is, that's why the new one is second best.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Somehow I imagine a pacifist xenophobe run that ends with them deciding that if we just devolve everyone else they won't try to immigrate or declare war.

Do pacifists get the Colossus total war? I would assume no.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Pacifist colossi do enable total war, but pacifist pops might get angry and tank stability if you do. I've not tested it though; for all I know the stability loss could be completely trivial.

Ol' Limber Legs
Nov 20, 2002

PLEASE KILL ME NOW
Finally won my first game. Only took me...382 hours? Nice.

Did it as determined exterminators + become the crisis. Spawned in a galaxy with no other machine empires so everyone hated my guts anyway. Got pretty dicey after I accidentally cracked a star with a holy world and a fallen empire got mad at me right as the contingency spawned in. The other 2 FE's declared war on me soon after that but mostly focused on conquering all my non-core territories. Managed to pull most of my extermination fleets back to my core sector and hold them off just long enough to destroy the galaxy in 2440.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Maybe a weird question, but have any of you played this game as like a chill civ builder? Solo in your own galaxy maybe with minors, but no fallen empires or anything? If you did how did it go? I really like the idea of RPing a society, but in games like this I always feel like even though I can pause I am not being fast enough or doing everything right and it kind of stops me from actually learning to play.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Theotus posted:

Maybe a weird question, but have any of you played this game as like a chill civ builder? Solo in your own galaxy maybe with minors, but no fallen empires or anything? If you did how did it go? I really like the idea of RPing a society, but in games like this I always feel like even though I can pause I am not being fast enough or doing everything right and it kind of stops me from actually learning to play.

I have, but it got kinda boring, IMO. If you want to try a game like that, I'd recommend waiting for the next expansions where they flesh out the intteraction with pre-FTL civs.

Personally, I've had much more fun with the Imperial Fief origin, where I get a small core territory and tech like mad while sending science ships all over. That origin limits my expansion and what I need to care about, while still allowing for an extended exploration phase with the Free and Imperial Beldross Entity, or whoever you end up playing. The mod Guilis planet modifiers helps, if you don't have it already.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Shadowlyger posted:

It is, that's why the new one is second best.
Ah. I that to mean it was replacing nanobot as second best but you meant replacing the current second best while nanobot remains best.

English is stupid sometimes.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Link to Dev Diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/stellaris-dev-diary-286-fear-and-archaeotechs-in-first-contact.1567756/

I wonder if uplifting forcibly devolved species still gives 500 Influence. Even if not, you still get the pops, wonder if there's a planetary debuff like the neutron sweep. A new second-best colossus weapon (behind the assimilator gun)

Can you devolve a species, reuplift them for different traits maybe?

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

AtomikKrab posted:

Can you devolve a species, reuplift them for different traits maybe?

turning a big dial taht says "Evolution" on it and constantly looking back at the pre-FTL species for traits like a contestant on the price is right

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

the audience screaming in horror as i devolve then re-evolve a sapient species out of sheer whimsy

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Rogue Caretaker thinking did you ever notice how happy dogs are happier than even the happiest humans

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeYg2-lWAuo

Maximum Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 10, 2023

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Somehow I knew what this was before I clicked on it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Shadowlyger posted:

Somehow I knew what this was before I clicked on it.

Luckily us Germans are protected by the mighty power of copy right, so I have no idea what that was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Libluini posted:

Luckily us Germans are protected by the mighty power of copy right, so I have no idea what that was

I watched it and I still have no idea what that was.