Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Harrow posted:

I was playing around with the average stats calculator on Triangle Attack and what the hell is going on with Goldmary's Defense growth :stare:

With fixed growths/average stats as a Great Knight she ends up with like 8 or 9 more Defense than Louis at the same level, it's nuts
with the class bases/character bases and class growths/character growths system, if you want to make something like 'a hero whose gimmick is having good defense' you have to set their defense personals so high that they wind up utterly insane if you put them in a class with actually good defense.

you can see the inverse happening with boucheron, where his shtick is 'fast axe fighter who isnt that strong' but that means his str base and growth completely tank if you take him out of axe fighter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

It does feel weird that player heros have no def given ai heroes are up there with wolf knights in terms of ai enemies I fear.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also incidentally bunet isnt good but he does have a theoretical infinite engage

his personal skill is

quote:

On eating a packed lunch, unit may obtain another of the same item. Trigger %=Lck.

celica has an inheritable skill that says

quote:

When unit eats a packed lunch, its engage meter is maxed out.

byleth can give

quote:

Grants Lck+12.

if you reclass him to the class with the highest luck growth/base (griffin knight) he can have about 21-23 luck by the time you have celica and him. combine that with byleth and thats about a coinflip chance to get a second packed lunch. you really shouldn't need more than two for his engage to last the whole map.

unfortunately you're pretty light on things that you can really do with that, since engage attacks are once per engage. if you reclassed him to a class type with a good byleth instruct or good corrin dragon vein he could just do that every turn, i suppose. but it is a pretty funny niche.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 10, 2023

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Micaiah's paralogue is the first time I felt the maddening stat crunch, because it's just endless waves of enemies and the angles are bad to stem the flow.

Feels like one of those where I have to bite the bullet and mass warp my party to kill Micaiah ASAP.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Endorph posted:

also incidentally bunet isnt good but he does have a theoretical infinite engage

his personal skill is

celica has an inheritable skill that says

byleth can give

if you reclass him to the class with the highest luck growth/base (griffin knight) he can have about 21-23 luck by the time you have celica and him. combine that with byleth and thats about a coinflip chance to get a second packed lunch. you really shouldn't need more than two for his engage to last the whole map.

unfortunately you're pretty light on things that you can really do with that, since engage attacks are once per map. if you reclassed him to a class type with a good byleth instruct or good corrin dragon vein he could just do that every turn, i suppose. but it is a pretty funny niche.

You could just rewind and burn an RN if it doesn’t work right? Bunet’s the most one note of one note characters but I want him to have his niche.

Also I just did Ike’s Paralogue and I love this game.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Endorph posted:

unfortunately you're pretty light on things that you can really do with that, since engage attacks are once per engage. if you reclassed him to a class type with a good byleth instruct or good corrin dragon vein he could just do that every turn, i suppose. but it is a pretty funny niche.

Also, you’ve lost Celica by the time you get him, and don’t get her back until chapter 20-21 or thereabouts, so it has very limited accessibility.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
replaying chapter 14 and i would like to give kudos to hortensia's VA for knocking it out of the loving park

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Just got to chapter 7 in Engage, I am liking this a hell of a lot more than 3H

The story is campy as hell, the MC is way too trusting, but the english va is great and the combat is fun

I got the donnyJean character so I can't wait to get him some other class and break the game over my knee

I have no idea what to upgrade I'm just tossing bond points left and right at the gatcharing summons

still haven't figured out how to summon tiki or whomever but I got the 3H characters

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Tae posted:

Micaiah's paralogue is the first time I felt the maddening stat crunch, because it's just endless waves of enemies and the angles are bad to stem the flow.

Feels like one of those where I have to bite the bullet and mass warp my party to kill Micaiah ASAP.

Okay so it turns out the solution was to just give Pannette Vantage+ and she solo-ed enough of the right side that killing stuff was manageable until Micaiah moved forward on her own.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So Camilla’s paralogue is an… experience. Even with 2 fliers.

Why do Gryffon Knights have stupid high avoid? Trying to hit them with half my characters is a crapshoot.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
i think Assign Decoy might very well be one of the most useful abilities in the entire game. If it didn't wear off after 3 hits, it would be #1, IMO. Sure, it doesn't work all the time, but it is a godsend for large open areas with no cover.

Also, appropriately, it has great synergy with Great Aether!

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Watching a video of all of Soren’s bone conversations and they are amazing. Soren is so pragmatic and cynical that it clashes in hilarious ways with practically the entire army. It’s funny seeing someone whose personality would be more at home in a grounded, realistic war simulator be plopped in the middle of a JRPG strategy game about the power of friendship and love.

I wish the FE series had more characters of Soren.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh i like soren but i think its fine for the series to not have many characters like him. fe9's tone was (largely) more grounded and a bit cynical so he makes sense for that game. there's some waving at actual politics and morality. a character like soren if he were an actual character and not just an emblem would have basically nothing to do or no points to make in engage.

i think its good, when video games have different tones. i dont want every fe game to be the same tone.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also i will say sorens personality is a result of a cut idea from fe9 where there would be some branching paths based on taking titania or soren's advice and once you know this its impossible to miss the points in fe9's script where those branches were cut out.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

STAND DOWN OR PERISH

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Endorph posted:

also i will say sorens personality is a result of a cut idea from fe9 where there would be some branching paths based on taking titania or soren's advice and once you know this its impossible to miss the points in fe9's script where those branches were cut out.

They really were trying to do branching paths for a long, long time weren't they. I hope they got it out of their systems for a while.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Metis of the Hallway posted:

They really were trying to do branching paths for a long, long time weren't they. I hope they got it out of their systems for a while.
tbf in fe9's case i imagine they weren't thinking like, full fates/conquest or anything. more just like fe5's split based on following august or dorias's advice, just with a couple more instances of it.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Game hard crashed on turn 20 something of the Soren map because I wanted to be fancy for the very last hit of the map and engage+'d and now the last hour's worth of gameplay is gone.

So I guess I will come back to try and knock the new divine paralogues in a month or two or something.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Camilla’s paralogue… I only survived because my Warrior Jean is broken beyond belief.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Dpulex posted:

I don't get it. Metacritic say game bad but i buy game and game fun

it got a lot of weird and frankly unhinged reviews that consisted of "game is very good but it's not like 3haus"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
People have different opinions of fun, and that is ok.

Find your own fun, friend.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think I'm getting near the end of the game - I'm on chapter 20, though I still have all the Emblem paralogues to go - and my gut feeling is that this game and 3H are apples and oranges. They're both turn-based strategy games that share a number of mechanics, but for me at least they scratch completely different itches in terms of story, characters, and gameplay.

This doesn't bother me overly much because I understood going in that this was a very different kind of game from 3H in that respect, and I've treated it differently from the start.

Am I likely to play Engage as much as I have 3H? Probably not. But that doesn't make Engage worse, it just makes it a strong and distinctive thing that I think for me is just going to be a sometimes treat, not my default when I'm stuck somewhere with my switch and just want to kill time.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
fixed growths are extremely neat for gimmick runs, like 'use everyone from x kingdom', since it means you can't get stuck in a position where alfred hasn't gained a point of defense since he joined and your team is left in a really lovely spot

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm doing a gimmick run right now where I use underpowered pos male units ONLY

Seriously, dragging this Vander around is torture

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I couldn't have had this happen with fixed growths so they are bad

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I enjoy Fixed Growths, but it is a different experience to random growths. It’s a lot easier to make plans with fixed growths as you have a good idea where your characters are going to end up. However, it does suffer from losing out on the moments where you get a completely broken or stupidly bad character due to randomness.

Like in my hard run, my Ivy got so many bad 2 stat level ups that she was irredemably awful. That memeory of poo poo Ivy is going to stick with me. Though I do admit, gaming the system with Jean is very hilarious as it is not hard to make him into a walking demon of death.

Also, after 19 levels of Divine Dragon, I have decided to go “gently caress It.” And make my Alear into a General.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Blaziken386 posted:

replaying chapter 14 and i would like to give kudos to hortensia's VA for knocking it out of the loving park

I struggled with chapter 14 my first go around but on maddening difficulty i had Lyn on Alcryst with the 20 range astra storm and there's 8 engage charge circle things right outside the final room so 9 Astra Storms laters it was just Hortensia left in the room by herself.

Oh, I forget who was trying to live the dream, but I got 4 Luna procs on Camilla. Follow your heart.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

jimmydalad posted:

Also, after 19 levels of Divine Dragon, I have decided to go “gently caress It.” And make my Alear into a General.

What happened to his excess resist?

~~~~~

Yesterday, I learned that Divine Paralogues apparently match your level like skirmishes do :negative:

drat you, Edelgaaaaaaaard!

Edit
Maybe if I took my absolute best units, but then they'd be over-leveled afterward..... I could try to do the next couple of story missions and then just park Alear in the back somewhere......

I could maybe do it with my middle-of-the-pack units, or at least, the right ones. Then they'd probably be only a little over-leveled.

I could wait until I get all my emblems back, because the extras just artificially lower the game difficulty, for all that I have been using Tiki and Edelgard a lot..... Bleh. I want my little surly friend and my big friendly friend.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 10, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I like the idea of doing one playthrough with fixed growths but I think I'd only want to do it once. The variance in how units can turn out from player to player or playthrough to playthrough is something I enjoy about Fire Emblem so I think for most of my replays I'll be using random growths.

I think it makes sense to require fixed growths for the first Maddening run, it seems like a great idea to ensure that the player's first Maddening playthrough is as balanced as possible.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Reik posted:

I struggled with chapter 14 my first go around but on maddening difficulty i had Lyn on Alcryst with the 20 range astra storm and there's 8 engage charge circle things right outside the final room so 9 Astra Storms laters it was just Hortensia left in the room by herself.

Omg your turn count tho

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There's no reason not to inherit Lineage on everyone early on if you have DLC, right? It's 150 SP for +20% EXP, which also means you get more SP so it'll definitely pay for itself. And early on it's not like you're going to be able to afford more than one or two cheap skills so it's not taking a skill slot that would be better used for a combat-relevant skill until much later when you don't need it anymore.

That's probably what I'll do ASAP in my Maddening run to at least somewhat offset the lower EXP.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Got a bit of choice paralysis atm. Im on Ch19 maddening, fixed growths. Im using fogado as a magic bow user but he kinda sucks. At the same time I dont want Anna as a bow knight cause she's my luck/moneybot as a high priest. Warrior would fix Fogado easily as a generalist bow user but probably make radiant bow use worse cause of lower mag growths?

Also whats everyones way to delete the damned corrupted lizards?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

I haven't had the opportunity to do it yet myself, but apparently they can Break with Fracture staves. I'm on Hard, so I just have Framme punch them down!

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Harrow posted:

There's no reason not to inherit Lineage on everyone early on if you have DLC, right? It's 150 SP for +20% EXP, which also means you get more SP so it'll definitely pay for itself. And early on it's not like you're going to be able to afford more than one or two cheap skills so it's not taking a skill slot that would be better used for a combat-relevant skill until much later when you don't need it anymore.

That's probably what I'll do ASAP in my Maddening run to at least somewhat offset the lower EXP.

Lineage and Mentorship suffer from the same problem that Nobility did in Fates and that Veteran did not have in Awakening: the EXP floor is too low for them to really help.

In general the +20% EXP bonuses amount to about one extra level’s worth of EXP (or about 50-100 SP) due to the way that EXP scales down when you get ahead of the level curve. It may pay off in SP terms if you’re getting experience primarily from support actions like healing or dancing, but not if you’re exclusively a combat unit.

Lineage can roughly break even just because it comes super early, it almost returns its own SP cost, and it does give you an extra level’s worth of experience. Mentorship is a worse deal that is probably only worthwhile on Seadall, since he has a bona fide level target to rush to.

The math may be slightly more favorable for these skills on difficulties below Maddening.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Terper posted:

I haven't had the opportunity to do it yet myself, but apparently they can Break with Fracture staves. I'm on Hard, so I just have Framme punch them down!

My Merrin, when engaged with Leif, reliably takes out upwards of 80% of their health - usually killing if she gets a crit - with Leif's brave lance, since she invariably doubles.

Doesn't help for chapter 17, I suppose, since you don't have Leif for that mission.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

I like the idea of doing one playthrough with fixed growths but I think I'd only want to do it once. The variance in how units can turn out from player to player or playthrough to playthrough is something I enjoy about Fire Emblem so I think for most of my replays I'll be using random growths.

I think it makes sense to require fixed growths for the first Maddening run, it seems like a great idea to ensure that the player's first Maddening playthrough is as balanced as possible.

I hate it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zoran posted:

Lineage and Mentorship suffer from the same problem that Nobility did in Fates and that Veteran did not have in Awakening: the EXP floor is too low for them to really help.

In general the +20% EXP bonuses amount to about one extra level’s worth of EXP (or about 50-100 SP) due to the way that EXP scales down when you get ahead of the level curve. It may pay off in SP terms if you’re getting experience primarily from support actions like healing or dancing, but not if you’re exclusively a combat unit.

Lineage can roughly break even just because it comes super early, it almost returns its own SP cost, and it does give you an extra level’s worth of experience. Mentorship is a worse deal that is probably only worthwhile on Seadall, since he has a bona fide level target to rush to.

The math may be slightly more favorable for these skills on difficulties below Maddening.

Ah y'know that does make sense. An extra level's worth of stats isn't the worst thing in the world but it's also probably not worth going out of my way for.

How big is the EXP penalty on maddening, anyway?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The AI adapted my camping tactic, help.

Theyre just sitting there, menacingly.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

The AI adapted my camping tactic, help.

Theyre just sitting there, menacingly.

lmao oh no

This situation looks like it's calling out for a big fat Torrential Roar down the middle followed by an Override but whoever you put in position to do those things is going to get beat the hell up so I dunno

Although if you can Torrential Roar enough of the middle row you'll also freeze adjacent units which could buy you a bit of time to deal with the miasma? Maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

FrickenMoron posted:

1) Twin Strike
2) Panette and her +5 Killer Axe
3) Draconic Hex lowers their stats enough that most people should be able to do something about them. My go to was Draconic Hex and then have Ivy double-hit Bolganone them or Fracture into a Warrior beating the crap out of them.