Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
what is a post but an unsolicited opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
God asks me to post everyday

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

that’s just capitalism induced mental illness

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Biplane posted:

My employment contract when I worked for Disney (in a completely non-creative way) had a large section in it about how any and all "works" I might create while employed by Disney would be the full property of my employer. LOL

How in any way could this be legal? Other than the obvious because it's the US

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
It probably isn't. Employment contracts are full of umenforceable terms and are written so that those terms are severable and don't cancel the whole contract.

It's there to intimidate you into not doing things you're allowed to do, or force you into a court or arbitration fight to assert your theoretical rights.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I mean in the case of programmers I'm pretty sure it's absolutely been upheld in court in a few states so uh good luck with that.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’ve always wondered if that meant stuff you worked on at work or if the stuff you work on at home in your garage counted too

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ArmZ posted:

how the gently caress is ip stealing even real

You should check out microchip history, how one US company dominates it (ASML), while China has always years behind due to how ASML protects itself from China trying to steal it (and internal chinese corruption loving themselves over).

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

happyhippy posted:

I agree with this, though up it to 45 mins and only for kids.
The nearest McDonalds is a major attractor for kids, cheapest fast food in the area.
And some times of the day its a nightmare with dozens of them running inside and out, just hanging around, not buying anything.

It doesn't matter. It's only enforced selectively anyway.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

happyhippy posted:

You should check out microchip history, how one US company dominates it (ASML), while China has always years behind due to how ASML protects itself from China trying to steal it (and internal chinese corruption loving themselves over).

asml is dutch tho

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The Mouse should take full responsibility for its insignificant vassal. IP, crimes, childrearing et all.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Shame Boy posted:

I mean in the case of programmers I'm pretty sure it's absolutely been upheld in court in a few states so uh good luck with that.

From my experience, with software developers, contracts only cover whatever they create during working hours and/or using company resources. It can be interpreted very broadly, though. So if you check your messenger while getting coffee at work on your office wifi, and it's your mate writing you about the app you two were working on as a side project, you might lose the app should your company find out. Most companies don't really care to enforce this, unless you've been working for a direct competitor or your app starts making ludicrous amounts of money. Or your boss is the pettiest motherfucker alive, which also happens.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
there was that whole tantrum blizzard threw when they released their warcraft 3 remaster about how anything you made in their engine was theirs forever original creation do not steal tmtmtm

because they were mad they weren't allowed to steal dota lmao

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

happyhippy posted:

gb2dnd

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

Thank you for your unsolicited and stupid opinion on the famous woman op.

It’s a good and well stated opinion sorry if your fav got called out I’m sure she will find some comfort in her money if she ever sees this

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Professor Shark posted:

I’ve always wondered if that meant stuff you worked on at work or if the stuff you work on at home in your garage counted too

Both count, since you can't prove you didn't think up an idea at work, withhold it from your employer and then make it yourself.

It was also enforced against the creator of Bratz, though in their case they had the idea, pitched it and their company wasn't interested, and then pitched it somewhere else, and when it took off the previous toy company sued to try and claw back revenue on the idea they passed on.

The further your idea or creation is from your job's field or responsibilities the better.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The draft version of my current contract, which was very obviously just a template from somewhere, included very broad wording that anything I would create while employed there was the property of the company. I brought it up with the CEO who was hiring me and said that according to this, if I write a lovely song, you own it, and that kinda seems dumb. Luckily he agreed that it was dumb and he just deleted the section entirely, but the fact that it was there in a standard contract is kinda iffy. And this was in Denmark for loving consulting, you can bet your rear end I'll reuse everything in my next job with the serial number filed off.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I have an idea to create transgender chickens to improve egg yields anyone know a good patent lawyer

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

I have an idea to create transgender chickens to improve egg yields anyone know a good patent lawyer

Your idea has to in some way improve on the current solution, which is to just kill all males

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

BonHair posted:

Your idea has to in some way improve on the current solution, which is to just kill all males

Trans the cocks

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

BonHair posted:

1. Inject all xx eggs with chicken testosterone
2. Grow roosters with xx chromosomes
3. All eggs they fertilized will be xx
4. xy chickens no longer exist

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

Now we're talking, wanna go into business? I can do PowerPoints, you do the thinking and working parts. Obviously I get 70%

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
the lion king should be given the french treatment. no more monarchy!

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

now the race to patent is on

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

BonHair posted:

Now we're talking, wanna go into business? I can do PowerPoints, you do the thinking and working parts. Obviously I get 70%

Antonymous posted:

now the race to patent is on
a startup is already doing this. there's a Clinton involved :abuela:

quote:

But what if those male chicks could instead hatch out as functional females, able to grow into egg-laying birds? That’s the vision of Israeli startup Soos Technology. Founded in 2017, the company, which has received $3.3m in investment and prize winnings wants to make commercial hatcheries kinder and more economic by changing the effective sex of poultry embryos as they develop.

Its technology exposes eggs to sound vibrations which, it says, alters the gene expression in developing male embryos, so rather than testes, an ovary forms instead (birds have only one). The company says its experiments are currently producing batches of chicks where 60% are observably female and it expects this to increase. “We are changing the sex of the chicken to dramatically decrease male chicks culled,” says Yael Alter, Soos’s CEO. Even if all male chicks aren’t converted, it could still make a difference. The company is currently piloting its technology at a commercial egg farm in Israel and has other pilots lined up with an Italian and a US egg producer.

Other startups are also working to solve the male chick problem. But they are focused on detecting egg sex prior to hatching, so the male eggs can be removed from incubators and disposed of earlier. Techniques include sampling the egg fluid and optical technologies to see inside. Hatcheries are looking to these as some European governments are trying to put an end to killing male chicks – including France by the end of 2021. Alter says Soos’s technology transforms eggs, so they don’t need disposal.

The idea that sound could be used to change the functional sex of chickens might seem far-fetched. But another external environmental factor, temperature, determines sex in many reptiles and some fish – though this does not apply in birds. And there is science that indicates gene expression can be influenced by sound. It was recently shown at when some types of cultured mouse cell were bombarded with sound emissions, genes involved in bone formation and wound healing were suppressed. “It is not yet widely accepted, but sound can be a biostimulation source at cellular level that triggers gene responses,” says Masahiro Kumeta, a researcher at Kyoto University in Japan pioneering this work.

If DMRT1 is suppressed in male embryos, it shrivels one testis and allows the other to develop as an ovary.

Alter is vague about how her co-founder, Nashat Haj Mohammad, stumbled on to sound. He found eggs laid in certain areas of his family’s small free-range chicken farm seemed to yield more female chicks.

Soos uses speakers to transmit sound to the eggs in the first 13 days of incubation, converting a standard commercial egg incubator into an acoustic one to do so. It is a loud continuous beeping noise audible to the human ear that plays several hours a day. Most important are the frequency and volume, and other factors such as temperature and humidity are controlled, explains Alter, adding that Soos is seeking patents for the method.

Alter says Soos has treated batches of thousands of eggs at a time and “over and over” achieved a 60%-plus female skew that has risen to 70% in some areas of the incubator. Calculations are based on visually sexing the chicks that hatch and retaining those determined to be female. Their DNA is then randomly sampled, finding the presence of some genetic males. Mostly the chicks aren’t kept more than 30 days, but 1,500 chicks, determined by sexing to be female, were grown two years – long enough to lay eggs. The genetic males appeared to lay at the same rate – the group didn’t produce fewer eggs overall than would be expected – and the treatment didn’t do any harm in other ways.

Soos speculates that sound suppresses the expression of the DMRT1 gene – widely accepted to be responsible for sex development in poultry. Like humans, birds carry a pair of inherited sex chromosomes that determine their genetic sex. But in the avian system, ZZ is male and ZW is female. A gene on the Z chromosome, DMRT1, regulates gonad development. The double dose in male embryos leads to testis formation while the single dose in female embryos leads to ovary formation. However, if DMRT1 is suppressed in male embryos, it shrivels one testis and allows the other to develop as an ovary. “You can change the phenotype in birds,” says Alter, though she adds that Soos doesn’t know exactly how the sound achieves it.

Developmental biologists studying chickens find it surprising that Soos’s “reversed” birds would look female and lay eggs, however. Research shows you can’t just manipulate DMRT1 in chickens and get a perfect female, according to Mike Clinton at the University of Edinburgh’s Roslin Institute and Craig Smith of Monash University in Melbourne, Australia.

First, they note that a genetically male bird transformed by reducing DMRT1 so it developed an ovary would still look like a male bird: with more muscle, male feather patterns and bigger wattles and spurs. That is because birds seem to be less influenced by gonadal hormones, which in mammals masculinise or feminise the body after testes or ovaries have formed. Chicken cells have been shown to “know” innately whether they are genetically male or female, independently of hormones. “You can get males that have ovaries after modulating DMRT1, but the rest of the bird is still male,” Smith explains.

Second, a recent study by Clinton, not yet published, demonstrates that genetically male birds whose sex is “reversed” after reducing DMRT1 when they are embryos do not lay eggs. “We think the male brain does not provide the appropriate https://www.soos.org.il
to the ovary,” says Clinton.
Eggs being hatched inside an incubator at an agricultural fair in Paris. France is to ban the slaughter of male chicks from the end of this year. Photograph: Joel Saget/AFP via Getty Images

Kristen Navara, a poultry scientist at the University of Georgia in the US notes a 60% skew could happen by chance depending on sample size. “The company needs studies that are peer reviewed,” she says.

Soos acknowledges more testing is needed. “We are working towards publishing,” says Rotem Kadir, Soos’s scientific director. He notes that while the DMRT1 gene is the prime candidate for how the sound has an effect, it isn’t certain. “There could be other genes,” he says.

Soos is planning experiments in chicken cell cultures this year to try and elucidate the mechanism of the effect. But the focus at the moment is on increasing the number of females in each hatching cycle by developing a system to improve how sound is transmitted in the incubator, so each individual egg “hears” it at the same, optimal volume.
https://www.soos.org.il

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 22:05 on Feb 10, 2023

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
First the frogs, now the chickens :getin:

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Antonymous posted:

I think the law defaults to musicians retaining rights of any recording of their music, live performance or session, sharing the rights with other performers recorded, but you can always sign those away to get into the room. Even though what I do defaults to work for hire I still sign one which is like a half page that says when the work was done and that I agree I was work for hire.

I also think the AFM has some protection on the visual recording of a life performance b/c I've done two documentaries where an orchestra was present and I wasn't allowed to film them in any capacity while performing, video or sound. might just be something they told my producer idk

I've worked for a theatre and I know that there were strict rules on recording, or taking pictures, of the performers. My understanding is that the individual performers owned all rights to their likeness and performance, so any recording had to be by explicit contractual agreement. It wasn't something that was simply included by default in your contract to perform the role. I got the impression that this was a standard industry thing.

People were occasionally huge dicks about this when the ushers would stop them from taking pictures during the show. At least making them delete any photos was a lot easier with digital cameras. I was told that, in the past, they used to have to confiscate rolls of film when that happened. Understandably, people didn't like this when they lost an entire roll of vacation photos. There were signs plastered everywhere about not taking pictures though, plus pre-show announcements.

I figure management wouldn't make a point of enforcing those rules so strongly unless they absolutely had to. Mind you, this was a big enough theatre that the cast/pit orchestra were all equity/union. I imagine that things are very different in smaller/less professional venues.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Failed Imagineer posted:

God asks me to post everyday

I granted myself permission to post and in so doing have achieved enlightenment

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

mawarannahr posted:

a startup is already doing this. there's a Clinton involved :abuela:

https://www.soos.org.il

chicken transphobia must not stand

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Antonymous posted:

I think the law defaults to musicians retaining rights of any recording of their music, live performance or session, sharing the rights with other performers recorded, but you can always sign those away to get into the room. Even though what I do defaults to work for hire I still sign one which is like a half page that says when the work was done and that I agree I was work for hire.

I also think the AFM has some protection on the visual recording of a life performance b/c I've done two documentaries where an orchestra was present and I wasn't allowed to film them in any capacity while performing, video or sound. might just be something they told my producer idk

yeah, synchronization rights (the rights to make a video recording of a performance) are separate and often much more expensive than performance rights -- it's a major issue in the corner of the performing arts world I'm in, because outside of particular composers or bands that are protective of their work, it's relatively cheap to get permission to arrange a song from them and perform it at a competition, but getting the synchro rights or the new media rights to stream it online costs an arm and a leg so it's exorbitantly expensive or just plain impossible to preserve the performance to watch later

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

BonHair posted:

you were trying to make it look bad but the shitheaded MBA taking only 70% is a better deal than nearly anybody gets

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

since chickens don't use testosterone I guess we have to just move on to humans instead, i'll take the 30% and limited liability

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Well, maybe your low-T soy cocks don't :rolleyes:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sounds clever, but male chickens have ZZ chromosomes and females have ZW chromosomes, so you can't make an XX rooster.

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica

brap posted:

what is a post but an unsolicited opinion

what is a post but a demand

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Chamale posted:

Sounds clever, but male chickens have ZZ chromosomes and females have ZW chromosomes, so you can't make an XX rooster.

We're in the third round of funding and I have ten billion dollars now

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Zvahl posted:

there was that whole tantrum blizzard threw when they released their warcraft 3 remaster about how anything you made in their engine was theirs forever original creation do not steal tmtmtm

because they were mad they weren't allowed to steal dota lmao

It's a great way to kneecap your entire UMS scene which was a significant part of the reason war3 was beloved in the first place!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I want to be the softest low-t boy so all I eat is rice and boiled chicken and I always jack off before stressful life events instead of holding back my essence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I want to be the softest low-t boy so all I eat is rice and boiled chicken and I always jack off before stressful life events instead of holding back my essence

egg says what