Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Combat Pretzel posted:

I only wear the watch on the indoor slope, which is at like 300m/900ft elevation above the sea level and only 400m/1200ft long. Not much to get exerted for. At least not to 175-180 BPM levels. On outside slopes, I wear wrist protection, no place for a watch.

Oh well then I don’t know sorry. However, I wear wrist guards too and manage to wear my watch a bit further up my arm so I can still track everything. I wasn’t sure it would work but it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Reminds me is there a good watch app that tries to wake you during a light sleep phase?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Grim Up North posted:

Reminds me is there a good watch app that tries to wake you during a light sleep phase?

Ehhh that stuff was mostly algorithmic hand wavy magic that doesn't really identify a good time to wake up, IMO. The Apple sleep tracking works, but there is a reason they didn't add a feature to customize wake up time to sleep phase. Because a phone or watch can't do that accurately yet. IMHO.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The sleep cycle app was a iPhone apps thread darling for a long time and it claimed to wake you gradually during a light sleep phase. I don't know how good their watch app got though, haven't thought about the app for years.

So in spite of the tech not being very good if you want to try it that would be a place to look.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Lol at using the “is it too loud” thing. A rare miss from crapple.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Wait? You guys take the watch in the shower? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that soap and shampoo and whatever chemicals was a big nono. I have an S7.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

eightysixed posted:

Wait? You guys take the watch in the shower? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that soap and shampoo and whatever chemicals was a big nono. I have an S7.

So long as you’re not like lathering up the watch itself you’ll probably be fine.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Im too lazy to throw the band in the washer so yeah I shower with it, even Tim did that with the S0

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Zwille posted:

Im too lazy to throw the band in the washer so yeah I shower with it, even Tim did that with the S0

Tbf, Tim can also afford to replace his watch daily if it breaks.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

eightysixed posted:

Every day. It helps keep the band clean.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Sometimes I'll shower with my watch on to "wash" the band, but it normally just smells like my cologne, which I'm not mad about.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Red_Fred posted:

Oh well then I don’t know sorry. However, I wear wrist guards too and manage to wear my watch a bit further up my arm so I can still track everything. I wasn’t sure it would work but it does.
I was considering it last month, but these idiots at Apple shifted the GPS tracking from the phone to entirely to the watch with the AW8, despite being pretty much an AW7 with two additional thermistors, so it wouldn't make it all day on the slope anyway. Shoulda been an user option, GPS tracking by phone or watch.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

i don't let soap or shampoo anywhere near my watch, still makes me nervous to follow the official apple cleaning instructions and get plain water on it

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Y’all are a mess. I shower with my crapple watch on the daily. Dropped my AirPod pro 2 earbud in the toilet. Fully submerged bro. It went out for a time but it came back. Dang thing isn’t even suppose to be resistant. Crapple makes a good product and you can take that to the bank.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

nom epique posted:

Y’all are a mess. I shower with my crapple watch on the daily. Dropped my AirPod pro 2 earbud in the toilet. Fully submerged bro. It went out for a time but it came back. Dang thing isn’t even suppose to be resistant. Crapple makes a good product and you can take that to the bank.

eh mostly, the mics on both my airpods pro 1 died on me so i can't use noise cancelling/transparency. apple said it would be £80 each to repair. and this macbook keyboard i'm typing on is dogshit

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'll soap up the band a bunch in the shower to help clean it, and don't really care if any of it gets on the watch. Been doing it for 5 years now with no issues, wasn't even aware Apple had warnings about soap messing anything up. I'm not convinced soap could ruin anything either but to be fair I'm no soapologist.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
I'm on my third Apple Watch and showed daily in them for years without issue. I'm pretty sure a friend of mine still uses my S3 daily, it's fine.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

marktheando posted:

eh mostly, the mics on both my airpods pro 1 died on me so i can't use noise cancelling/transparency. apple said it would be £80 each to repair. and this macbook keyboard i'm typing on is dogshit

Did you attempt to require a replacement using the airpods pro 1 recall rather than a generic failure? In my store the staff didn't let me explain what was wrong after i told them "airpods pro".

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hmm, which workout types don't use the GPS on the watch? I'd like to try the watch on the slopes after all. Turns out the Slopes app can retroactively import HR data from the watch, if it was tracking on the iPhone. If I can make the watch not use GPS, it'd probably last quite a bit longer than 6 hours.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

Did you attempt to require a replacement using the airpods pro 1 recall rather than a generic failure? In my store the staff didn't let me explain what was wrong after i told them "airpods pro".

i did, they were manufactured a month or two too late to qualify for that recall, and the website i bought them from refused a refund or replacement. apple store would have replaced if i had bought from apple, so lesson learned, saving £50 by buying from some website was not worth it

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hmm, which workout types don't use the GPS on the watch? I'd like to try the watch on the slopes after all. Turns out the Slopes app can retroactively import HR data from the watch, if it was tracking on the iPhone. If I can make the watch not use GPS, it'd probably last quite a bit longer than 6 hours.

Mixed cardio, intervals, basically anything that’s not “outside” or “open swim.”

I thought the watch uses the phone GPS if you have it on you?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I thought the watch uses the phone GPS if you have it on you?
That changed starting with the AW8. The reason given is that typically the watch has a clearer view to the sky, so it'd be more accurate.

(It's kind of annoying in its own right, because I have the 14 Pro, which has the fancy dual-frequency GPS, whereas the non-Ultra watch has regular old GPS. For instance, when I'm on my mountain bike, I have my phone in the top compartment of my backpack facing the sky, so I'm getting hosed for an arbitrary decision that should have been an user choice, not a forced change. Same goes for running, see-through arm pouch.)

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

With regards to sleep, I don't trust any wearable to track anything beyond "when was I asleep" because most research indicates tracking things like REM cycles with a consumer wearables is dicey at best. That said, an app that yells at me for not being asleep enough has been pretty valuable and easily correlated with my condition throughout the day.

I don't really buy into a lot of the readiness scores that it provides, but AutoSleep has been great for automatically tracking when I'm asleep (nap or through the night), especially since with it installed I don't have to schedule or manually toggle Sleep Mode like WatchOS normally requires.

It's also has some alarm settings that aim for "light sleep" though in my experience it only works under ideal circumstances (you aren't drunk or already extremely sleep deprived)

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Thirst Mutilator posted:

With regards to sleep, I don't trust any wearable to track anything beyond "when was I asleep" because most research indicates tracking things like REM cycles with a consumer wearables is dicey at best. That said, an app that yells at me for not being asleep enough has been pretty valuable and easily correlated with my condition throughout the day.

I don't really buy into a lot of the readiness scores that it provides, but AutoSleep has been great for automatically tracking when I'm asleep (nap or through the night), especially since with it installed I don't have to schedule or manually toggle Sleep Mode like WatchOS normally requires.

It's also has some alarm settings that aim for "light sleep" though in my experience it only works under ideal circumstances (you aren't drunk or already extremely sleep deprived)

Ehhhhhhh I am inclined to agree with you. There's a big BUT here though. Apple is paying Real Money to Real Medical Professionals to validate at least some of the claims they make in carefully worded language in Health app. They have incentives that discourage them from straight up boldly lying about marketed capabilities. So, I do have some reliance on some of the functionality Watch uses for REM / phase tracking as being somewhat based on realistic Sensor Fusion AI Fancy Models with marketing language validated by one well paid medical professional.

So I do like that feature, it's not a huge thing but if a watch didn't do it, as well as Apple's, it would be a little notch lower for me personally.

Other non-Apple wearables trying this out, that do not have the capital for me to trust the type of model I talk about above? Not going to put any stock in it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

1. Does Apple have some non-fitness oriented version of the Apple Watch Ultra in the pipeline? Because they should, it's just a plain amazing watch, it is an incredibly comfortable size and weight for everyday use, the screen looks amazing all the time, the titanium finish is great. Apple nailed everything except me feeling like a poser wearing an Ultra Fitness Watch daily.

2. We have had a Sleep Number mattress for a few years that does sleep tracking and we actually use the sleep tracking data constantly. As someone that tends to "go to bed" an hour or two before actually going to sleep, it has really made me aware of my sleep habits and making changes around them. Also, stress really affects my sleep, REALLY affects my sleep. I get hypnic jerks basically directly into relation to my stress level, even when I don't realize how much I am internalizing my stress.

I know I am an edge case and most people don't have conversations with their spouses like "I noticed you have been twitching a lot the last couple of nights, how are you doing? Is there something really bothering you at work?" but I do, it's a very real gauge for me of, am I annoyed, or is this really affecting my mental health and I need to take a day or two off of work.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

In regards to 1), I just want Apple to make a black version, using whatever process necessary to color titanium. That'd probably make it less visible already.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Three Olives posted:

1. Does Apple have some non-fitness oriented version of the Apple Watch Ultra in the pipeline? Because they should, it's just a plain amazing watch, it is an incredibly comfortable size and weight for everyday use, the screen looks amazing all the time, the titanium finish is great. Apple nailed everything except me feeling like a poser wearing an Ultra Fitness Watch daily.

OP I give you permission to wear the drat watch if you like it. If you need to give yourself an excuse, wear it for three days straight without charging it when you first get it and feel good about your decision.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

hypnophant posted:

OP I give you permission to wear the drat watch if you like it. If you need to give yourself an excuse, wear it for three days straight without charging it when you first get it and feel good about your decision.

I've seen enough fat rich old people wearing Submariners to know it doesn't matter, I guess I am just pointing out that the marketing is kind of weird that they are focusing only on the fitness aspects of the watch, when Apple just made a no compromises watch for the first time, I had it in my mind that it was like a massive Forerunner.

Apple Watch: Ultra, the luxury crossover SUV of smart watches

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Three Olives posted:

I've seen enough fat rich old people wearing Submariners to know it doesn't matter, I guess I am just pointing out that the marketing is kind of weird that they are focusing only on the fitness aspects of the watch, when Apple just made a no compromises watch for the first time, I had it in my mind that it was like a massive Forerunner.

Apple Watch: Ultra, the luxury crossover SUV of smart watches

The book "After Steve" goes into great detail about the building of the watch. They originally wanted to make it fitness-focused, but Ive was obsessed with the idea of making it a fashion item and most of their marketing and design went into that. The sales of the first batch of watches were not up to expectations and although fashion magazines and the scene was interested in it at first, but fashion is a fickle beast and eventually the 'fad' was over. Tim Cook held an emergency meeting to figure out how to save the watch and they decided to go all-in on the fitness aspect, to great results. I don't think they're interested in going back to luxury fashion-focused watches.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Original_Z posted:

The book "After Steve" goes into great detail about the building of the watch. They originally wanted to make it fitness-focused, but Ive was obsessed with the idea of making it a fashion item and most of their marketing and design went into that. The sales of the first batch of watches were not up to expectations and although fashion magazines and the scene was interested in it at first, but fashion is a fickle beast and eventually the 'fad' was over. Tim Cook held an emergency meeting to figure out how to save the watch and they decided to go all-in on the fitness aspect, to great results. I don't think they're interested in going back to luxury fashion-focused watches.

Jony is such a hack poo poo

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
The ultra is not a dress watch technically speaking but it is 100% a luxury fashion watch

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

What’s “funny” about the Watch Ultra is that it’s only $50 more than the 45mm Stainless Steel Series 8. I’d be far more inclined to get the Ultra than the Stainless Steel model given all the additional benefits the Ultra has for only an extra Grant.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

What’s “funny” about the Watch Ultra is that it’s only $50 more than the 45mm Stainless Steel Series 8. I’d be far more inclined to get the Ultra than the Stainless Steel model given all the additional benefits the Ultra has for only an extra Grant.

Ultra owns. Doubling your battery life is well worth the extra $50 if you can deal with the bulk.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Original_Z posted:

I don't think they're interested in going back to luxury fashion-focused watches.

We'll always have the Hermes brand watch with its wacky horsey watch faces and $600 watch straps! :haw:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have one of those matching titanium bands for the ultra that Facebook keeps showing me? It looks pretty good in the pictures, like it can dress up the watch a bit. But I don’t want to buy a crappy band.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I looked around at a few, but so far I haven’t seen any where the lugs match which is a deal breaker for me. Once someone gets that right i’ll probably pick one up - I like a metal bracelet more than a cloth or rubber band.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Original_Z posted:

The Apple Watch is 100% a luxury fashion item. It's not the exclusive one that might have thought it could end up being but their Apple's watch band line is absolutely a legit fashion business, a very forward looking one at that. I promise you that Apple takes it's watch band releases just as seriously as LVMH does their spring lines.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Three Olives posted:

I promise you that Apple takes it's watch band releases just as seriously as LVMH does their spring lines.

I just wish they took my desire for a plain black sport loop seriously. It blows rear end walking into their store and the closest they have is gray kaleidoscope spritz or dark opalescence or whatever goofball names they come up with.

Will a black band come out again? Who fuckin knows, it's seasonal!!

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Branch Nvidian posted:

Yeah when the announcement happened my company was live watching, we were all guessing more than a grand for it, and when it dropped at the price it did we were all like “what the gently caress”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

xzzy posted:

I just wish they took my desire for a plain black sport loop seriously. It blows rear end walking into their store and the closest they have is gray kaleidoscope spritz or dark opalescence or whatever goofball names they come up with.

Will a black band come out again? Who fuckin knows, it's seasonal!!

AliExpress sellers are more than happy to sell you previous seasons' bands