Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

flatluigi posted:

and creatures with mutate!

Rotpriest Mutate could be a hell of a deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i think mutate creatures are too high cost to actually run rotpriest w/ mutate in historic but i do know it's ivy's latest friend in that hbrawl deck

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

lol i guess phyrexian vindicator is just a free trophy huh

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lmao 1-3, complete loving shitbag of a disaster lol

Volt Charging one of the toxics to prevent going to 9 and getting proliferated to death is the call here, right?

Anyway I think I punted the end of this game, probably all the games. never cast glissa. let me sink fully into results oriented thinking and fixate on this opponent getting ahead of me by recurring their glissa with unnatural restoration. Never drew any of my ravagers to bail me out of their board of x/1s

9-9 (50%), war chest is being completely obliterated

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
I'm giving sealed a shot and pulled 6 pretty good R/M in BW. I'm not missing anything here, am I?

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Volt Charging one of the toxics to prevent going to 9 and getting proliferated to death is the call here, right?

I think it's between hoping they don't have a proliferate spell or hoping they don't have a creature. I guess killing the flier is safer in case they have two creatures?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Took a breather (actually getting back to the routine of penalizing myself with doing pushups for every loss) and then got back in.

Draft #4

https://www.17lands.com/draft/3e54fdd73808464ba512767980c6bba2
Equipment again...

I was going to say I have 5 drafts left in the hopper but I guess I need to keep 3400 gems in the bank for the next mastery pass

Edit: immediately lost to a tyrranax atrocity lol, time to hit the punching bag

Edit 2: mulled a hand with all mountains and 4 cost white spells for this lol

immediately getting corrupted and killed by fliers in most of these games lol

Edit 3: I'm running loving 9 mountains 7plains/basilica (i mulled this and got lucky that opponent did nothing then conceded)

Edit 4:

dead to poison fliers, 2-3 [11-12], 47.83%, absolutely gently caress this game

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 9, 2023

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

I'm not sure that losing matches in MMR-balanced limited is punishment worthy. It's just part of the game.

Then again, any excuse to do pushups is probably a good one.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Took a breather (actually getting back to the routine of penalizing myself with doing pushups for every loss) and then got back in.

exercise is never a bad idea but you should drop some gems on therapy. penalizing yourself for a loss in a game with this much variance is not going to improve your winrate.

p1p5 i would go batterfist over basilica shepard any day of the week. it's even an equipment!

p2p1 i would go hexgold slash over hex halberd. it's that good.
p2p2 i know chimney rabble is pretty good but i think you're underestimating how brutal nahiri's sacrifice can be.

getting into p3 i'm wondering what white is doing for you outside of hexgold war-whip. black looks way more open and connects with the oil synergies.

p3p5 mandible justicar or charge of the mites both look better than indoctrination attendant, which you end up not playing anyway. i've been reasonably impressed with justicar on the whole and it lines up with this deck.

I think Mirran Bardiche is not a good card at all. Spending 5 mana for a 4/3 vigi is not the play in this format.

Urabrask's Annointer has been clutch for me in the Oil deck, i see you passed one and didn't play yours. Even at a ping for 1 there's usually a good target or you can at least hit a mite. I think with one or two more oil payoffs you would have been very happy to get passed those churning reservoirs in pack two.

i'm not an expert by any means but i hope this helps.

edit: wait you kept that hand? mulling to 5 is not the end of the world my guy, holy cow.

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 10, 2023

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Guys talk me out of blowing 4k gold on that Junji Ito Elesh Norn, I'm a big fan of his 'Cat Diary'

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Just went 7-0 in Sealed with this:

GW feels like especially strong colors in this limited.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I see these sick decks and get excited and go do my own draft and then end up with some goofy decklike stack of cards on top of getting 6 turns of no land first game. I think this deck might work but I'll need to be mulliganing a lot harder than I usually do because the game keeps trying to teach me to treat my opening hand like it's my only hand.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Zefiel posted:

Guys talk me out of blowing 4k gold on that Junji Ito Elesh Norn, I'm a big fan of his 'Cat Diary'

I guess do you plan on running Elesh Norn in any decks?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Draft #5

https://www.17lands.com/draft/3a7e47ec90254637b0b2bfc9926e52f6

Felt completely lost with this one. First picked the mind control but all the other blue cards I was seeing looked like trash, but i didn't see a clear path in any other lane.

Honestly I don't feel like I understand this format at all, I should probably pause and study more before throwing more gems away. But I feel like by the time I do learn anything and get one step ahead, everyone else will be ten steps ahead and stomp me into the dust anyway like what happens when enough time passes in any format

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Khanstant posted:

the game keeps trying to teach me to treat my opening hand like it's my only hand.

I never mulligan :getin: (and that's why I'm firmly in silver I guess!)

imagine dungeons posted:

I guess do you plan on running Elesh Norn in any decks?

Thank you for asking! I've been meaning to ask for input on this thing I janked after an afternoon of being solidly beaten by variations of it. I've been trying to prune and refine it to work mostly on the ETB effects, it doesn't work always but it's fun to have someone concede because they don't want to sit through 20 triggers. I guess Elesh could cause stuff like Greeters really go off. I've also been thinking of adding Mondrak. I don't know what I'd cut though, I already feel I don't have enough removal. Anyway here's the thing:

1 Adeline, Resplendent Cathar (MID) 1
2 Forest (SNC) 271
1 Resolute Reinforcements (DMU) 29
2 Recommission (BRO) 22
1 Sanctify (VOW) 33
1 Sunset Revelry (MID) 38
2 Borrowed Time (MID) 6
2 Halo Fountain (SNC) 15
2 Touch the Spirit Realm (NEO) 40
2 Elspeth Resplendent (SNC) 11
2 Tamiyo's Safekeeping (NEO) 211
3 Plains (SNC) 262
3 Gala Greeters (SNC) 148
3 Join the Dance (MID) 229
2 Park Heights Pegasus (SNC) 211
2 Queen Allenal of Ruadach (DMU) 210
1 Torens, Fist of the Angels (VOW) 249
2 Darling of the Masses (SNC) 181
1 Sigardian Paladin (VOW) 247
3 Blossoming Sands (NEO) 265
3 Botanical Plaza (SNC) 247
1 Brushland (BRO) 259
2 Radiant Grove (DMU) 253
1 Overgrown Farmland (MID) 265
2 Civil Servant (SNC) 176
1 Sungold Sentinel (MID) 37
1 Myrel, Shield of Argive (BRO) 18
1 Sanctuary Warden (SNC) 30
1 Rigo, Streetwise Mentor (SNC) 215
2 Citizen's Crowbar (SNC) 8
2 Brokers Initiate (SNC) 5
3 Plains (SNC) 263
2 Forest (SNC) 270

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Draft #5

Felt completely lost with this one. First picked the mind control but all the other blue cards I was seeing looked like trash, but i didn't see a clear path in any other lane.

Honestly I don't feel like I understand this format at all, I should probably pause and study more before throwing more gems away. But I feel like by the time I do learn anything and get one step ahead, everyone else will be ten steps ahead and stomp me into the dust anyway like what happens when enough time passes in any format

Are you actually improving? Different formats feel and play differently but you play enough and keep enough data you should be able to tell. My data tells me I've improved significantly since NEO even if it doesn't necessarily feel like during any particular draft, you should look at long term trends instead of any particular game or string of games. I just had a MID qd 2 days ago where I had 4 games end with me at 3 lands.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

heres my first big failure of the draft season 1-3 with RB

https://www.17lands.com/details/44b0bf91ab694efa8008542ed1ad3a40

things i know are wrong
- splash was greedy
- game 1 discard two decent cards to just give the mythic indestrucible was awful. the better line was pressing w my offense, waiting, and letting the mythic die if targeted

things that did happen i couldve maybe mulliganned better against
- flood in 2nd and 3rd loss, both on draw

things im not sure about

i felt like the red mythic plus removal/direct damage and toxic was a decent strat, but all the opps decks felt more cohesive and drew better answers, felt like i wasnt really playing magic in 2nd and 3rd loss

i do not listen to podcasts or read articles about limited format theorycrafting, and am generally happy with 3-3s for converting gold back into gems and packs. the big losses are what i post about.

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 10, 2023

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Algid posted:

Are you actually improving? Different formats feel and play differently but you play enough and keep enough data you should be able to tell. My data tells me I've improved significantly since NEO even if it doesn't necessarily feel like during any particular draft, you should look at long term trends instead of any particular game or string of games. I just had a MID qd 2 days ago where I had 4 games end with me at 3 lands.

Hmm, that's an interesting question.

NEO was 50.6% off 43 events
SNC was 51.6% off 41 events
HBG was 41.3% off 9 events (lol)
DMU was 53.7% off 36 events
BRO was 53.0% off 32 events

looks inconclusive to me lol, although after a year I still remain below the average 17lands user

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 10, 2023

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think so far nobody has figured out how to play blue well and because of that you have a card like Blue Sun's Zenith sitting at the same 17lands winrate as that Lattice-Blade Mantis in your board. It just seems so much easier to get together a curve that can pressure your opponent in G/R/W or at least hope to stabilise more easily than U.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
They're probably real leery of what they did with UB Rogues a few years back, where, instead of picking between aggro, mill, control, and stealing the other player's cards against them, why not ALL OF THEM SIMULTANEOUSLY

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

9-9 (50%), war chest is being completely obliterated

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

dead to poison fliers, 2-3 [11-12], 47.83%, absolutely gently caress this game

Let's say your chance of winning a given game is 53%, the win percentage from the previous set. The odds of you having 11 or fewer victories in 23 games is around 2/5. The way you react to very likely events is not healthy.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Zefiel posted:

I slam spent that gold. Then made a HB deck

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I'm a big fan of JI but I don't think the art works for Norn

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Looking forward to his art of Hellstar Phyrexia in MOM.

It's now literally a tentacle monster planet eating other similar sized orbs.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Algid posted:

Looking forward to his art of Hellstar Phyrexia in MOM.

It's now literally a tentacle monster planet eating other similar sized orbs.

Thats just his doomsday art

Relatedly, my secret lair arrived today, the foils look real good

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Zefiel posted:

Hell someone talk me out of blowing 100 real Canuck bucks on the paper copy.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Not sure what to cut from this sealed deck. Any advice would be appreciated.

https://sealeddeck.tech/wR0QueCk1P

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Urcher posted:

Cut Sprinter, Chair and Paladin

Add Shrapnel Slinger and Chimney Rabble

EDIT: this is a very interesting pool because you could easily make a BW deck that would also be very, very strong. Especially your white suite is insane.

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 10, 2023

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Draft #5

P1P1: Yea Blue Sun's Twilight doesn't read that great to me, stealing something is good but that forces you to get hit by it for two turns first. Maybe longer if it's expensive and you're waiting to hit land drops. Bad pack overall but I'd probably take glare.

P1P2: Nimraiser Paladin seems pretty strong.

P1P4: Vraska's Fall is awful. Edict effects are usually traps in limited because you're only ever killing their worst creature, and at three mana you're not even getting a good rate. Imagine trying to cast this card when your opponent has a phyrexian mite out. You could have taken a Volt Charge to stay flexible.

P1P5: Axiom Engraver is really good, another fall is just digging ourselves deeper into a color that isn't open and isn't rewarding us.

P1P6: Scamp is pretty mediocre, meawhile Contagious Vorrac is one of the best commons in the set.

P1P8: If you want to be in black so much you should take Dross Pits over a filler card in a color you're not in. Those sphere lands are really underrated.

P1P13: Axiom Engraver is still here?

P2P4: What does Chittering Skitterling even do for you? You don't have poison, you don't have expendable creatures, this is just a vanilla 1/4. Not much else that's good in the pack but there's another Dross Pits.

Bottom line is you're just looking at the rarity symbol of cards and not what's good/open for your seat. Look up the top 20 or so commons on 17lands (sort by GIH%) and pay attention to what cards on that list are still showing up mid/late in the first pack. Also you should probably start docking your mental grade of blue cards, it's the weakest color by a significant margin. To play those sweet looking rares/uncommons you're going to have to pay the cost of putting a bunch of blue commons in your deck which are going to be weaker than the commons your opponent's will have.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'm a big fan of JI but I don't think the art works for Norn

Agreed.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Share Bear posted:

heres my first big failure of the draft season 1-3 with RB

https://www.17lands.com/details/44b0bf91ab694efa8008542ed1ad3a40

P1P3: Not a fan of taking duals highly in this format, it's not conducive to splashing or 3 color decks so Gorge. Maybe it's a raredraft for your collection but the most effective way to build your collection is consistently winning your entry fee back. With two strong red cards already I'd be happy to take Axiom Engraver here.

P1P6: With zero oil cards so far I'd rather have Barbed Battlefist. It's cheaper and doesn't require support.

P1P12: Our RB deck is never going to enable corrupted for Gladiator, take Thrill instead just in case we end up light on playables.

P2P3: I'd honestly perfer the Halberd here. It's a significant upgrade to the trash 2-drops we have, and we already have a bunch of removal spells for mid-size creatures.

P2P5: See my previous comment about never enabling toxic ever. Ambulatory Edifice is pretty good.

P2P6: Like the previous draft I reviewed, you should never play Vraska's Fall (the uncommon edict is fine though) and are underrating the spheres. The spheres are solid cards that ease the pain of flooding out. Most importantly, they replace a basic land and don't take up a spell slot. So they're always going to be an upgrade to your deck, unlike a weak common that will probably just get cut.

P2P7: I know I just talked up spheres a lot, but Axiom Engraver is better. It also mitigates flooding out but also blocks and can enable oil synergies. Look at the Kuldotha Cackler you took really highly. Either don't pick the card so early or take the oil synergy pieces when given the opportunity, otherwise you're just burning a pick.

P3P5: You don't have the poison synergy to make it worth playing a two mana 1/1 just because it has toxic. Meanwhile Rebel Salvo is an incredible card. 3 mana, often less, to kill nearly anything at instant speed. It's the best red card outside of rares/mythics.

P3P7: If you're going to raredraft so much here was a chance to take a rare without hurting your deck.

You already acknowledge the splash was bad, but just don't do it ever in this set. Go into your draft with the assumption that splashing is off the table so you don't bait yourself into it later. Also in your sideboard Testament Bearer is quite good and Cruel Grimnarch is better than a lot of the turds you're playing.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

UW Artifacts has been an absolute banger every time the deck is open. No one wants Eye of Malcator other than this deck, so at least for now you can pick them up on the wheel and grab more contested picks early. Mandible Justiciar is also a powerhouse in these decks, with Veil of Assimilation on board and any other artifact entering play allowing you to swing for a good amount of lifelink damage. Chrome Prowler can be a key card; turning on your eyes at instant speed for surprise blocks can blow a game wide open. I was unsure of Ichor Synthesizer, but this deck had 10+ non creature spells allowing it to gain oil counters rapidly. Veil of Assimilation is crazy gas here, don't underestimate the vigilance it grants. Retrofitter turning your Justiciars into base 4/4 or turning your prism/skullbombs into beaters is really powerful, although because eyes are so often only creatures on your turn the retrofitters are lightning rods for removal. Escaped Experiment is probably the weakest piece in the deck, but even then another cheap artifact. The Cephalopod Sentries are a fine if not amazing top end; they do a great job at stopping any aggression from your opponent while your eyes are not creatures and occasionally crack in for a good amount of damage.

Eye of Malcator is the best card in this deck and it isn't close. With the scry 2 on etb you can throw anything you don't need and get you close to your next eye. Every game I played with this deck had 3 eyes, and several had all 5.

If you're looking to get into this deck, cards to look out for early are Unctus's Retrofitter, Veil of Assimilation, Cephalopod Sentry, and Mandible Justiciar. Since the Eye is pretty much only for this exact deck, seeing one or two floating around but nothing else to really go with it isn't necessarily a sign the deck is open. Take Eyes over non-artifact and low impact artifacts early, but even in this draft I could've picked up another couple eyes had I wanted them. The best part is this deck doesn't need any rares and can trounce most decks playing bombs by just applying huge pressure. Every time I've played the artifact deck I have trophied without issue.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Urcher posted:

I think this should be base white, RG is a little short on good playables

RW https://sealeddeck.tech/QeNKCSp4l8
GW https://sealeddeck.tech/r87KmgOoCA could also run Chair but I like the 23 here

edit: fixed builds

wei fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 10, 2023

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

little munchkin posted:

You already acknowledge the splash was bad, but just don't do it ever in this set. Go into your draft with the assumption that splashing is off the table so you don't bait yourself into it later. Also in your sideboard Testament Bearer is quite good and Cruel Grimnarch is better than a lot of the turds you're playing.

cool thank you very much, all very logical and understandable on review side by side

i hope to one day offer relevant critiques in the same vein for anyone who asks here

what were the worst two drops? the rat with toxic/proliferate right? cause that definitely felt extremely bad every time i played it

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Share Bear posted:

cool thank you very much, all very logical and understandable on review side by side

i hope to one day offer relevant critiques in the same vein for anyone who asks here

what were the worst two drops? the rat with toxic/proliferate right? cause that definitely felt extremely bad every time i played it

Rat and Pestilent Syphoner are both pretty weak unless you care a lot about poison. If you don't, they're just not going to do enough before larger creatures start coming down and invalidating them (same with sawblade scamp in your 1-drop slot). In your deck though there's the altar, the vraska's fall, and the green card to drop before you start cutting on-color bodies.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

If it's any consolation, I'm getting killed out there too. 2-3, 3-3, 2-3 in three runs so far.

Partly getting rocked by bombs but also playing like poo poo so there's no one to blame but myself (and my copilot who keeps trying to get make me take cards that have a D rating, and goading me into bad attacks lol, but it's still my responsibility to tell him to shut up lol).

The last deck showed a lot of promise, red was wide open, but I think I was a couple key cards short (it badly needed a ramp creature) and I def spewed off two games (first and third loss)

https://www.17lands.com/draft/b57b9a3ede6e42f398b9d09a70c532bc

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

If it's any consolation, I'm getting killed out there too. 2-3, 3-3, 2-3 in three runs so far.

Partly getting rocked by bombs but also playing like poo poo so there's no one to blame but myself (and my copilot who keeps trying to get make me take cards that have a D rating, and goading me into bad attacks lol, but it's still my responsibility to tell him to shut up lol).

The last deck showed a lot of promise, red was wide open, but I think I was a couple key cards short (it badly needed a ramp creature) and I def spewed off two games (first and third loss)

https://www.17lands.com/draft/b57b9a3ede6e42f398b9d09a70c532bc

Has Kuldotha Cackler been any good for you? I haven't played one yet (and haven't seen them be good from opponents),but you seem to prioritize them pretty highly. Also p3p1 I think Hexgold Slash is better than Volt Charge. One mana removal is really useful for stopping the poison decks from turning their corrupt cards on.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

little munchkin posted:

Has Kuldotha Cackler been any good for you? I haven't played one yet (and haven't seen them be good from opponents),but you seem to prioritize them pretty highly. Also p3p1 I think Hexgold Slash is better than Volt Charge. One mana removal is really useful for stopping the poison decks from turning their corrupt cards on.

I had loads of 2 drops and I figured the proliferate and ability to go face on Volt was more relevant in this deck specifically. Ostensibly this was supposed to be an aggressive deck but the cards didn't fall that way.

I've heard Cackler was good and that rg oil was the best archetype but I didn't have the density of oil creatures to get there and 4 was way too much. It felt like this deck badly needed Free From Flesh and Rustvine Cultivator to make it more consistent. The second Churning Reservoir was definitely a mistake, and the first one might have also been. What would have taken over the Cacklers in the draft though?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

What would have taken over the Cacklers in the draft though?

Furnace and Oil-Gorger Troll for the two in the first pack. I've drafted RG almost exclusively, people are probably right about it being the best deck at the moment, but I think that's more due to card quality and things being underdrafted than it is the power of oil synergies. The RG creatures are just bigger which seems to be enough since either the poison/artifact synergies don't really get there or people haven't figured out how to build them properly.

Lone Goat posted:

It felt like this deck badly needed Free From Flesh and Rustvine Cultivator to make it more consistent. The second Churning Reservoir was definitely a mistake, and the first one might have also been.

Free from Flesh has been solid for me, sucks that you never saw one. Have not been impressed by cultivator from my opponents, it's subpar as a mana dork and there's better bodies if you just want something with an oil counter. Resevoir is fine if enough of your cards care about oil, I dunno about two though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I really shouldn't draft control decks I'm so fuckin bad at playing them.