Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Rental Sting posted:

I know Carlin is mostly despised, here, but he spins a good yarn and I find his dumb boomer analogies endearing. Do we need more Viking poo poo, though? Is anyone asking for it?

Its the best episode in 5 years (5 episodes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

COPE 27 posted:

Good to know!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

COPE 27 posted:

I just finished it, came to the thread to say this.

I stopped listening... somewhere in the Supernova in the East, and it seems like maybe he learned some lessons there? It actually stayed mostly on topic. There weren't too many lengthy parenthetical tangents or bits of strangeness. The analogies (which I don't personally mind all that much) were pretty reasonable.

And it was informative and entertaining. My girlfriend caught a few minutes and was instantly interested, despite not being into history at all.

I'd say if you liked Thor's Angels this is very much worth your while.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Has anyone listened to Hell on Earth by the Chapo guys? The topic seems interesting but their main podcast hasn’t been good since before the pandemic so I’m hesitant to give it a try.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Has anyone listened to Hell on Earth by the Chapo guys? The topic seems interesting but their main podcast hasn’t been good since before the pandemic so I’m hesitant to give it a try.

They put the first episode up on their public Soundcloud, I liked it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

a fatguy baldspot posted:

It's pretty stilted with clear 'two guys awkwardly reading alternating paragraphs from their term paper' parts. I decided it wasn't my thing, but as much because I feel like a little bit of Matt goes a long way as anything.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Back when I used to listen Matt's understanding of history was thin, to put it generously, so him doing a history podcast sounds like a disaster.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I think it’s going well. Nothing innovative, they stick very close to Wedgwood, but it’s fluffy and most of the jokes land. Less grating than Carlin or your standard History Bros pod, at least

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

feedmyleg posted:

I adored it, but I'm worried about how much I'll be into it moving forward. The prehistory and Bronze Age subject matter was so fascinating to me that I worry it's going to feel a bit more "names and dates" moving forward. How was the first Iron Age episode?

I opened this thread to see whether I should resubscribe.

I fell out after a few too many episodes about Levantine Bronze Age empires that just all ran together. Akkadians, Assyrians, Mitannis, Elamites, Amorites, Hittites... they all just seemed like this: 'ok this group cornered the trade in tin and copper and then raised an army of chariots and built some temples and made a bunch of clay tablets, then another group came in and did the same, then another, then another... boy, I bet they wish they had SimpliSafe."

I think it's a matter of there just not being enough richness in the material for him to evoke life in each of those empires or any essential differences between each of them.

Ok I talked myself into it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I just started the new season of Tides, but yeah I think that concern about the season, and perspective on the back half of last season, is pretty fair. For me the paleohistory stuff was way more interesting than the Bronze Age stuff, but maybe introducing more actual records will liven things up a bit as it moves into the Iron Age. Obviously this season isn't all about Rome, but with how much he was able to flesh out the history of the late Roman Empire in his first podcast, covering a lot of stuff Duncan wasn't really equipped to get into, I'm interested to see if he can find something new to bring to the picture of the early Roman era.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Speaking of early Rome, ACOUP namedropped The Partial Historians which seems to be a podcast run by a couple of academics about exclusively that. Anyone listened to it before?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm enjoying the new Tides material but I feel like it's barely a distinct season and more just a straight-up continuation of what he was examining at the end of the previous season.

Koramei posted:

Speaking of early Rome, ACOUP namedropped The Partial Historians which seems to be a podcast run by a couple of academics about exclusively that. Anyone listened to it before?

I haven't, but I'm quoting this post so that I can find the name later because I saw that too and was like "hm I should check that out."

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

CommonShore posted:

I'm enjoying the new Tides material but I feel like it's barely a distinct season and more just a straight-up continuation of what he was examining at the end of the previous season

Yeah I'm not sure why he's presenting this as a separate season. Probably some Wondery fuckery?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I'm not sure why he's presenting this as a separate season. Probably some Wondery fuckery?

It may be pretty similar to the Bronze Age stuff from last season, but a single season covering everything from prehistory to the end of the first century BC would be pretty weird.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

They're called seasons but they're more like arcs. Tides started off about the middle ages, sort of continuing where The Fall of Rome left off. Then the prehistory "season" began. It sounds wrong since they take years to complete.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

It may be pretty similar to the Bronze Age stuff from last season, but a single season covering everything from prehistory to the end of the first century BC would be pretty weird.

That would be weird, though I feel a better place to break it would be the advent of writing and the beginnings of non-pre history.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

PittTheElder posted:

I think it's this. They put older episodes behind paywalls and I think that they were hesitant to put anything from a "current" season onto the prime membership.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Has he said if he's using all this material to write another book yet? I assume he's at least shopping one around.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Has he said if he's using all this material to write another book yet? I assume he's at least shopping one around.

Yeah I'm pretty sure he posted on twitter that he's doing a pre-history (or maybe up to bronze age collapse?) book next.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
This is the first post I could find about it

https://twitter.com/Patrick_Wyman/status/1605969890711519233?t=YoF9j2vzrPRfEakMlsJ0pg&s=19

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cool, thanks. I hope it's mostly focused on the prehistory stuff, because imo it was by far the better half of the season.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Is Tides generally recommended? I feel like I've heard it comes with an asterisk, but I realize now that I don't really remember what that was, or if I'm confusing it with something else.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I don't know about any asterisks but I concur with the others in that the first two-thirds or so of the pre/early history season were stellar.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The only criticisms I've heard are: 1) ads 2) sometimes sound effects, probably makes some people afraid it's for dummies.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I haven’t listened to Tides in quite a while, but I remember the parts where he mixed in music were far too loud, and he had to boost his own volume to be heard, so it was just a noisy mess at the end of each episode.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Appoda posted:

Is Tides generally recommended? I feel like I've heard it comes with an asterisk, but I realize now that I don't really remember what that was, or if I'm confusing it with something else.

Maybe you're confusing it with Hardcore history? Tides is pretty good.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Tides is one of the few I'd recommend without any asterisks, ironically. It's consistently good going back to the original Fall of Rome podcast

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah it's good. It's overproduced and the topics vary in interestingness but hardly unique in those.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

And a bad episode of tides is still better than average episodes of most other podcasts.

This week's wasn't very good. I don't get why he brings in so many interviews about writing historical fiction.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Interview episodes are usually my least favorite, with a few exceptions, but I'm guessing they partly work as a breather to help him have time to prepare the scripted episodes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Grevling posted:

Interview episodes are usually my least favorite, with a few exceptions, but I'm guessing they partly work as a breather to help him have time to prepare the scripted episodes.

I'll listen to the interviews with subject area experts all day (my favourite podcast is Byzantium and Friends after all) but this one was pretty irrelevant.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

His interviewers need to not be interviewed via "shouting at laptops from across the room".

Ship out a $60 mic. It's cheaper than your editor trying to fix it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

tracecomplete posted:

His interviewers need to not be interviewed via "shouting at laptops from across the room".

Every single podcast needs to record people locally and edit it together rather than recording the Zoom call. It sounds like rear end.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sounds like a good way never to have any actual academic guests on your show.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I respect the way he highlights scholars in a way most podcasters don't instead of just summarizing their work, but as a listener the interview episodes definitely can feel pretty dry, and a bit repetitive when the same info finds its way into the narrative episodes.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CommonShore posted:

I don't get why he brings in so many interviews about writing historical fiction.

i think it's just because it's literally what he personally does

well maybe not exactly historical fiction, but he's all about the "create an imaginary representative individual and use that person's life and work to get into what life would be like for that kind of person in that era" style of historical writing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

He's talked about wanting to write historical fiction sometime in the future too.

And Warhammer 40K.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Tides is good, probably my favorite history podcast of the last few years. Patrick is probably the best history Podcaster I've heard at "such and such happened all these years ago, here's what that can tell us about the world today" which I think is the part of history that a lot of people don't get. It's not all just names and dates!

E: the ads are putrid though, I can't deny that.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 17, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

C-Euro posted:

Tides is good, probably my favorite history podcast of the last few years. Patrick is probably the best history Podcaster I've heard at "such and such happened all these years ago, here's what that can tell us about the world today" which I think is the part of history that a lot of people don't get. It's not all just names and dates!

I tweeted at him once just to ask him if he has talked to wondery about the gross true crime ads and the tweet had one view, so I know he saw it, but then he didn't reply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

C-Euro posted:

Yeah the Wondery ads are awful. And even off Wondery, podcast ads are generally awful. I used to listen to an Australian true crime podcast but completely gave up because all the ads were for dick pills, ahem, “ED medication”, and CBD oil products.

But it raises the question of why the ads on every podcast are so universally awful! Ads on the radio have been a thing for what, almost a century at this point? Podcast ads are basically the same thing, so why have advertisers completely forgotten everything. Weird.

Feels like I’ve spent more time listening to Mike Duncan talk about razors and mattresses in the past few years than I’ve talked to members of my extended family.