Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Weather radio is prerecorded stems assembled by a computer so all I'm saying is it'd be trivial to make it say "OH poo poo - THERE IS A TORNADO RIGHT NOW IN - SUFFOLK COUNTY - Y'ALL WATCH OUT FOR TORNADO CONDITIONS IN - SUFFOLK COUNTY - NORFOLK COUNTY"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

"Tornado wind-up", and "tornado wind: down"

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

watch out there could be a tornado

warning there is a tornado

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tornado, Tornadon't.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Dervish status: pre-whirling

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Tornado Conditions, like Defcons.

It's Tornadocon 5!

Oh poo poo is that the highest or lowest.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Elviscat posted:

Tornado Conditions, like Defcons.

It's Tornadocon 5!

Ok, please do not give the weather channel any more ideas.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I already bought my tickets, Tornadocon 4 had such a great cosplay scene.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

El Fideo posted:

I already bought my tickets, Tornadocon 4 had such a great cosplay scene.

Yeah but most of the attendees are a bunch of blowhards

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

zedprime posted:

Words are for liars and drat fools.

We need glyphs like Mr Yuk. What face do you make when a tornado is possible? When a tornado is happening?

This is not a tornado of honor.
No highly esteemed deed is sucked into the atmosphere here.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

OwlFancier posted:

Tornado, Tornadon't.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
tornado debug, tornado info, tornado warning, tornado error, tornado critical

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tornado Maybe and Tornado Yes

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
In Norway whirlwinds are called Thornados.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

wikipedia posted:

The Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute uses terminology based on other countries. Yellow level means forecast of weather that can mean some risks and disturbances to transport and other parts of society. Amber level is for weather that can mean danger, damage, and larger disturbances. Red level is for weather that can mean big danger, serious damage, and major disturbances. This can refer to many types of weather related events such as wind, flooding, snow, forest fires, etc. Sweden does not have as severe weather as some other countries, so red events in Sweden would normally not cause large international headlines.

[...]

The Met Office and other weather services have three colour coded warning levels:

Yellow: Be aware. Possible travel delays, or the disruption of your day-to-day activities.
Amber: Be prepared. Could cause road and rail closures, interruption to power, and the potential risk to life and property.
Red: Take action. Widespread damage, travel and power disruption, and risk to life are likely. Avoid dangerous areas.

This colour system has been adopted by a lot of European countries. Of course there's criticism but IMO it works well enough. Of course, America has to ignore best practices from the rest of the world and implement their own stupid system.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

This colour system has been adopted by a lot of European countries. Of course there's criticism but IMO it works well enough. Of course, America has to ignore best practices from the rest of the world and implement their own stupid system.

I really think

Be aware.
Be prepared.
Take action.

Is the perfect scale in terms of public communication of risk.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Carbon dioxide posted:

The Met Office and other weather services have three colour coded warning levels:

Yellow: You might not get any snow but it'll probably be cold somewhere nearby!
Amber: You will see some snow falling on the horizon but it will be sunny and mild where you are.
Red: While you are travelling elsewhere to stay with friends, it will snow heavily, but when you return it will have cleared.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Yes, for clarity we definitely want a system with yellow and amber meaning different things.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
We have all the threat level colours: yellow, amber, gold, sand, beige, light orange, tan, buff, ochre...

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

zedprime posted:

Yes, for clarity we definitely want a system with yellow and amber meaning different things.

I'm not sure why they didn't go with "orange" but isn't that the same color as amber anyway? I know the taste is not the same.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I'm not sure why they didn't go with "orange" but isn't that the same color as amber anyway? I know the taste is not the same.

Amber is yellow with a splash of magenta.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

piL posted:

Amber is yellow with a splash of magenta.

Here's a weather warning map off the metoffice.gov.uk web site:

I don't know if they define amber different than you do, but I'd say the color in the picture is visually distinct enough.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Partial solution. If you're using a color scale for visual management there are color blindness accessibility concerns that need managed when trying to apply to the entire population. If you're operating on the cultural cachet of 'color names have risk preparedness meanings', you have the same watch/warning issues anyway of education and reinforcement.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
In Sharknado 4, a sharknado, through a series of improbable occurrences, passes over an oil field, an electric transformer, a farm, and then finally a nuclear power plant to become, in order, a firenado, lightningnado, cownado, and finally, nukenado.

That’s not even bringing up the timenado in Sharknado 6.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

TinTower posted:

In Sharknado 4, a sharknado, through a series of improbable occurrences, passes over an oil field, an electric transformer, a farm, and then finally a nuclear power plant to become, in order, a firenado, lightningnado, cownado, and finally, nukenado.

But do they use the watch/warning system for all of these nados?

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon

TinTower posted:

I can't tell if this is real or not.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Civilization over
Tornado = very yes

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/CJTDevil/status/1624021255119675394

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

TinTower posted:

What do the taco ingredients for this look like

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Ghost Pepper, Pop Rocks, Ground Beef, and Mega-Sour Warheads.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

You forgot hardtackos for the timenado

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/ScienceAdvances/status/1621252177057439745

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Golden Dragon posted:

I can't tell if this is real or not.

It's real and it owns. If you're ever curious enough and only want to watch one of the sharknados I recommend Sharknado 6, aka The Last Sharknado: It's About Time, because they're all great and hilarious but that one's my favorite

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My mother had schizophrenia and this is giving me flashbacks to trying to decipher her writing

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Killingyouguy! posted:

My mother had schizophrenia and this is giving me flashbacks to trying to decipher her writing

I think it says you take the matrices of how each participant perceived word pairs to be related, and use them to create a matrix of similarity of each participant's word pair rankings.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Extremely potent Time Cube vibes

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

This looks like those reports done by grad students who just learned a cool new way to transform data and then try to apply it to everything because it makes the graph look prettier

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was more thinking that I can't tell if that's the actual data visualization or if they left the temporary labels on the axes :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons