Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

One of the top vidoes on R/ukraine right now is a column of Russian tanks driving into a mine field one after another at Vuhledar.

It's been a year. How does this poo poo still happen!?

https://mobile.twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1623949694903648256

From looking at that there's also scattered artillery impacts around them.
In the early days you'd see them come to a stop when the first vehicles exploded, and then taking a full barrage. They seem to have learned that stopping is bad.

No good choices here, sit still taking a pounding from arty while non-enigneer (so untrained in mine clearing) dismounts try to clear a path, push forward and hope, or immediate retreat facing the commanders wrath back at base were the only options.
They seem to fear the commanders wrath more than mines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Another big difference is that Ukraine has a lot of precision 155mm rounds that have become probably the single most effective way that Ukraine deals with stationary Russian vehicles.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

I imagine driving a tank requires more training than driving a car. And commanding and fighting with a tank takes quite a bit more than that.

Their current tankers get no training.

"Bribe Yuri and be platoon commander. Also, Sasha will show you how to make stove fuel drinkable with only stale bread and canteen. Good deal. Cash only, foreign exchange preferred".

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 10, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Charlz Guybon posted:

One of the top vidoes on R/ukraine right now is a column of Russian tanks driving into a mine field one after another at Vuhledar.

It's been a year. How does this poo poo still happen!?

quote:

The Ukrainian army’s elite 72nd Mechanized Brigade is entrenched around Vuhledar. It has laid minefields along the main approaches from Pavlivka. Its drones surveil the front. Its artillery is dialed in.

The Russians know this. And the assault force took rudimentary precautions. Tank crews injected fuel into their exhausts to produce smokescreens. At least one T-80 carried a mine-plow.

But leadership and intelligence failures—and Ukraine’s superior artillery fire-control—neutralized these measures. The Russian formation rolled into dense minefields. Destroyed tanks and BMPs blocked the advance. Vehicles attempting to skirt the ruined hulks themselves ran into mines.

Panicky vehicle commanders crowded so tightly behind the smoke-generating tanks that Ukrainian artillery, cued by drones, could score hits by firing at the head of the smoke. The Russians’ daylong attack ended in heavy losses and retreat. The survivors left behind around 30 wrecked tanks and BMPs.

Vuhledar is further evidence of the downward spiral in Russian military effectiveness. Armies that lack robust recruitment, training and industrial bases tend to become steadily less effective as losses deepen.

Desperate to maintain the pace of operations, the army replaces any well-trained, well-equipped troops who’ve been hurt or killed with an equal number of new recruits—but without taking the time, or expending the resources, to train and equip those new troops to the previous standard.

So the army gets less and less competent even as it inducts more and more new personnel. Incompetence leads to even greater losses, which prompts the army to double down: draft more green troops, train them even less and hurry them to the front even faster than it did the previous recruits.

Apply this tragic model to Vuhledar and the Russian army’s failures make more sense. For months, the Russian marine corps’s 155th and 40th Naval Infantry Brigades were responsible for the sector around Pavlivka. But the marines suffered devastating losses in repeated failed assaults starting last fall.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davida...sh=478b1f795558

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's funny because the first picture in that article has a T-72 with a mine roller attached, except half of the mine roller is missing...

e: Oh I guess it was the T-80 referenced in the part you quoted.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Caconym posted:

In the early days you'd see them come to a stop when the first vehicles exploded, and then taking a full barrage. They seem to have learned that stopping is bad.

No good choices here, sit still taking a pounding from arty while non-enigneer (so untrained in mine clearing) dismounts try to clear a path, push forward and hope, or immediate retreat facing the commanders wrath back at base were the only options.

Also Russian tanks are slow in reverse. Like walking speed slow. So, trying to reverse out of the kill box just leaves you in the kill box.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

From the latest ISW update:

quote:

A prominent Wagner-linked Russian milblogger called for the dismissal of Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu over a Russian military uniform procurement scandal. Many prominent Russian military bloggers harshly criticized Shoigu and the Russian Ministry of Defense (MoD) over news that the 22-year-old son of the Russian Deputy Head of the Federal Agency for State Property Management won a contract to supply the Russian military with new uniforms.[10] The milbloggers argued that the new uniforms are of inferior quality and overpriced (costing about 130,000-210,000 rubles or $1,780 - $2,875 per uniform) and are part of a petty corruption scheme to enrich the families of Russian defense officials. The Grey Zone Telegram channel—a prominent Wagner Group-affiliated milblogger – wrote an explicative-laden rant to its 426,000 subscribers that Shoigu has lost credibility in front of the Russian nation and that Russian President Vladimir Putin can amend the situation by firing Shoigu, Shoigu’s "entourage" in the Russian General Staff and banning Shoigu and his associates from all Russian military affairs.[11] This is the latest episode in a string of events that has prompted Russian military blogger communities to attack the Russian MoD and senior Kremlin officials for petty corruption and ineptitude resulting in battlefield failures and worse quality of life for average Russian soldiers.[12]

Can't imagine how much a Russian space pencil costs.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Murgos posted:

Also Russian tanks are slow in reverse. Like walking speed slow. So, trying to reverse out of the kill box just leaves you in the kill box.

I didn't know Order # 227 was still in effect.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Don't worry I'm sure more training (by the same guys that likely trained this lot) will solve this!

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Caconym posted:

I'll be honest with you, we did a Combat team + a company - of french Vs EFP Lithuania and the amount of column movement we saw from the spanish and Italians was ridiculous, their obstacle crossing was chaos no run in times in order to mitigate traffic and just sat in the open, we could spot the pt91 of the poles easily as the smoke coming of the engines was wafting above the treeline.

I think 14 Cr2s a company of infantry and a few leclercs and vabs held off an entire battlegroup.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah I'm pretty sure breaching an obstacle belt is probably the most complex combined arms operation you can do other than a river crossing or beach landing, which are frankly just natural obstacles in their own right.

psydude fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 10, 2023

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

MonkeyLibFront posted:

I'll be honest with you, we did a Combat team + a company - of french Vs EFP Lithuania and the amount of column movement we saw from the spanish and Italians was ridiculous, their obstacle crossing was chaos no run in times in order to mitigate traffic and just sat in the open, we could spot the pt91 of the poles easily as the smoke coming of the engines was wafting above the treeline.

I think 14 Cr2s a company of infantry and a few leclercs and vabs held off an entire battlegroup.

Can you expand on the players a little bit more? A BCT of US and french? Or just a reinforced french bct?

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Crab Dad posted:

I can’t believe the MIC might save us from Russian intervention.

The Vichy GOP sure as hell won't.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Natty Ninefingers posted:

Can you expand on the players a little bit more? A BCT of US and french? Or just a reinforced french bct?

British combat team from EFP Estonia, so 8 British tanks plus around 4/6 leclercs with a company of infantry/recce in vabs, we had a mounted recce british troop on warrior along with around 30 dismounts on warrior, heavily reliant on jav and nlaw. They didn't expect us to forward mount our armour to destroy the combined ITA and Spanish recce screen. Tbh we just didn't see much manoeuvre from the EU lot.

No Americans were involved in the exercise as it probably made the training area far too congested.

No Canadians either.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Do you pronounce recce as 'wrecky'?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I've always said wrecky but I've also heard whee-key

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Pretty much yeah.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

A.o.D. posted:

Wait how do other people pronounce it?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I say Reesee pieces

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I just read the word, not actually say it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
yeah I just say recon if reconnaissance is too many syllables for some reason.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
Reese’s

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Re kon uh souuh

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
okay this isn't exactly surprising coming from mikhalkov--he's been quite nationalist for a while--but this is profoundly stupid

https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1624330710663266304

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

VSOKUL girl posted:

okay this isn't exactly surprising coming from mikhalkov--he's been quite nationalist for a while--but this is profoundly stupid

That's just the tip of the iceberg.
https://twitter.com/AndreiSoldatov/status/1624144830774317064?s=20&t=L6U153wzAtM0dU3lbN4UQw

quote:

Some of this is frankly bizarre. The pro-Kremlin tabloid Komsomolskaya Pravda, very close to the Ministry of Defense, has been promoting “Orthodox battalions” in Donbas: these units have been named after saints in the hope of decreasing military losses, and it worked, the paper reported. 

At the war’s outset, the report stated, soldiers had fled from the battlefield because many were psychologically  unready to fight. But when priests were called on to pray along with them, the situation changed, and the newly inspired troops went on the offensive.

The battalions began giving up their standard numbers for names. The first was the battalion Rus, but the second unit was named after Alexander Nevsky, the Russian 13th-century prince, who was canonized for his victories over German and Swedish invaders. A third unit was named the Forty Martyrs of Sebaste (after a group of Roman soldiers who became martyrs for the Christian faith) and the fourth, perhaps inevitably, was named after Evgeny Rodionov.

Renamed and blessed, something strange happened. Losses began to decrease dramatically, and miraculous salvations grew. “There are no more heavy casualties,” according to the story’s headline.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Yeah they’ve been like that for a while:

quote:

April 5, 2012
MOSCOW — Facing a scandal over photographs of its leader wearing an enormously expensive watch, the Russian Orthodox Church worked a little miracle: It made the offending timepiece disappear.

Editors doctored a photograph on the church’s Web site of the leader, Patriarch Kirill I, extending a black sleeve where there once appeared to be a Breguet timepiece worth at least $30,000. The church might have gotten away with the ruse if it had not failed to also erase the watch’s reflection, which appeared in the photo on the highly glossed table where the patriarch was seated.

The church apologized for the deception on Thursday and restored the original photo to the site, but not before Patriarch Kirill weighed in, insisting in an interview with a Russian journalist that he had never worn the watch, and that any photos showing him wearing it must have been doctored to put the watch on his wrist.

The controversy, which erupted Wednesday when attentive Russian bloggers discovered the airbrushing, further stoked anger over the church’s often lavish displays of wealth and power.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/06/...&smid=share-url

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

VSOKUL girl posted:

*me contemplating Roman graffiti of a gaping anus*

"ah yes wisdom of the ancients. Which way Western men?"

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men's behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah they’ve been like that for a while

the church being a very expensive, grifty af fancy dress bread and circuses affair is nothing new--that took off right around the start of Putin's regime as one of several "find something to fill the national cohesion void left by the fall of the USSR" projects. the current syncretism with the accidental Z war iconography is bizarre to watch though

not really unprecedented (the whole "Bog s nami!" aspect of Russian militarism is not at all new, though it was maybe a bit on pause for most of the 20th century), but just very ??? to actually watch live in action

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

A.o.D. posted:

Absolutely

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Alan Smithee posted:

Any culture that produces their own version of goatse deserves to be taken seriously as a role model IMO.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

psydude posted:

From the latest ISW update:

Can't imagine how much a Russian space pencil costs.

This includes high quality boots, bodyarmor, and helmets right? RIGHT??????

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Chopstix posted:

loll luh mao, even

roffle, if you will

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Murgos posted:

There's a video in one of the Ukraine war threads of a Ukrainian tank driver going on about how fast the locally produced T-8xxx variant is in reverse compared to Russian versions, he's just thrilled about it.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Hannibal Rex posted:

Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men's behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!

:golfclap:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
It's a meatgrinder

https://mobile.twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1624662811744911361

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Chopstix posted:

And fresh bread twice a day.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Losing almost an entire battalion each day. Jesus.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
I'd hate to see the Ukrainian side as well, I just can't see them producing great trained replacements for line infantry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

MonkeyLibFront posted:

I'd hate to see the Ukrainian side as well, I just can't see them producing great trained replacements for line infantry.

I’d love to think that while defending, you don’t need as many highly trained/fit soldiers to hold ground. Assaults are more complex and require more soldiers than having a few dudes with machines holding down an avenue of approach.

I want to think it, but I don’t know how true it is and I don’t want to get sad looking it up :smith: