Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Has SMU ever won the American?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Grittybeard posted:

My uninformed impression was that SMU had that Texas lawyer money working for them, which would seem to be something worth chasing after if you're in a panic mode and looking for any port in a storm like the Pac 12 is if true?

Any school with juice will be out of the Pac-12 in 4 years if their answer to losing USC and UCLA is SMU and SDSU.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Maxwells Demon posted:

So in Washington, there has been verifiable proof that the Washington legislature favors UW or WSU in funding and other things. People have definitely linked articles about it in these threads.

In California, it's even worse. The UC board is not beholden to the state of California. California State Universities on the other hand are mostly banned from providing doctoral degrees in addition to significantly less funding and control from the California legislature.

So academically, San Diego State would be considered inferior to most or all UCs. Cal Poly is without a doubt considered better academically than SDSU but their football program is tiny. So already SDSU is at best 8th but more likely ~11th best public school in the whole state. Fresno is probably at best 15th (out of 31 publics).

Ehhhh, Cal Poly might be better for undergrads, but it’s kind of a demonstrable phenomenon that the conferences look at it more on the research/graduate side than undergrads. Remember how big AAU status has been for conferences, despite absolutely no undergrad giving a poo poo about it. The politics there are just a product of the insane research density here.

Any of Berkeley, UCLA, and UCSD literally would all be the number 1 state school in literally any other state. Like, the system has 3 schools that consistently outrank even the high-end private schools on the research side, which basically no other state has. Then, despite the jokes, Santa Barbara, Davis, and Irvine all outrank Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Wazzu, or any Arizona school, and I say that as someone who openly capes for how good Washington and Oregon are in the research world. School rankings are bullshit to your average undergrad, but it’s also literally what the people in higher Ed manage towards. I can make an argument that like 40 states at a minimum would consider UC Irvine a flagship research university that a looot of academics aren’t going to disagree with, and that’s at best the number 5-6 school in the system.

If you go off of research rankings, keeping in mind individual fields affect this, it’s probably something to the tune of

Berkeley
UCLA
UCSD
UCSB
UC Irvine
UC Davis
San Diego State
UC Santa Cruz
UC Riverside
Fresno State
.:.

San Jose State

This also doesn’t include goofy poo poo like UCSF where there are grad only institutions that are world class.

Compare the relative rankings of like California schools to like Ohio for a minute. Ohio State slots in where like Davis is. Cincinnati is near like Riverside. The mac schools are like sub Fresno. Michigan would be near UCSD while State is near San Diego state and the directions Al are sub Fresno. Even states with nominal “good”’ systems just usually have 1 flagship R1, maybe 2, where the Cal system is just too big and distributed for its own good at times.

And all of that ignores that the regents of Berkeley and UCLA essentially have blood oaths to stay competitive with Stanford and USC respectively on every avenue they can, so there’s a rare element of attempting to compete with private schools on the research and output side explicitly that further makes the regents a weird band of muppets that exist solely to protect their own numbers and using the existence of the Cal state system to pull the ladder up for anyone who aspires to the UC system without money.

a neat cape posted:

SDSU is adding a PhD program for the sole purpose of raising their academics so they can get into a better conference

Honestly a lot of the Cal State system, at least at the higher end, will probably start doing this sooner than later agnostic of the athletic component. With red states actively trying to blow up their universities right now, there’s going to be a glut of demonstrably productive research talent that need academic jobs but don’t want to live somewhere that you have to check a box that says “Homo Y/N” or give details on your menstrual cycle. The winners of that are basically every coastal school that’s willing to recruit and build facilities. “Training environment” is an explicit criteria in a grant system that looks at your university and colleagues as a parameter, and there are plenty of schools that have shown you can buy your way to relevance in an area on not that much money if you have an eye for talent. As bad as the academic job market is, it’s really not that hard to poach people as a result.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Regnevelc posted:

Any school with juice will be out of the Pac-12 in 4 years if their answer to losing USC and UCLA is SMU and SDSU.

I mean the only other answer is just to stay at 10, isn’t it, unless they swallow their pride and give BYU a call.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah the way universities, particularly the large research ones, assess themselves against their peers, undergrad education is like 5th or 6th on the priority list.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

TheGreyGhost posted:

Michigan would be near UCSD while State is near San Diego state

This seems off when Michigan is routinely ranked higher than Berkeley.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

TheGreyGhost posted:

Then, despite the jokes, Santa Barbara, Davis, and Irvine all outrank Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Wazzu, or any Arizona school, and I say that as someone who openly capes for how good Washington and Oregon are in the research world.

As an Oregonian who did undergrad at UC Santa Barbara, I fully agree on this point especially but with your analysis in general. I think Pac-12 does look at academics more than other schools and the UC/CSU PhD split and equating research rankings to academic prowess makes it a tough case for CSUs. Which makes it weird that there are 4 UCs that are well-regarded academically but 3 of them voted out their football teams and the other was in Div-II in 2000.

Geography really constrains everything and I think Pac-12 should just stay at 10 members and maybe the geography of Big 10 with UCLA/USC will be stupid enough that no one wants to move.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Sash! posted:

Consider the source.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Sash! posted:

Nope
also no
still no

Ironically, part of that is probably that Michigan still makes somewhat of an effort to teach undergrads, where most UCs are very very content to hire professors who are exclusively researchers and use their undergrads as a profit center.

And again, these rankings are always straight horseshit and describe, at best, broad institutional research and funding outcomes, not undergrad experience or anything else. That said, the Pac 12 and to some extent Big 10 love to pretend these are some important standard for their expansion goals so it makes sense to think about just how disconnected they actually are.

The ACC and Pac-12 should just create a coastal elites conference and try to don USNWR or AWRU into doing a poll that names one of them a national champ every year based on degree of difficulty of football x research.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm saying routinely as in for the last 30 years, when the top four of "top public universities" look like you randomly sorted Berkeley, Michigan, UVA, and UNC Chapel Hill.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Maxwells Demon posted:

Geography really constrains everything and I think Pac-12 should just stay at 10 members and maybe the geography of Big 10 with UCLA/USC will be stupid enough that no one wants to move.

The flip side of this is that more teams moving to the Big Ten could be the solution for the stupidity of the UCLA/USC situation.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Also SDSU is fun and good. Fire Hoke.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Pac-12 should take SMU/Memphis/Tulane/SDSU. Then do pods and have SMU/Memphis/Tulane/Colorado in a pod. Not perfect, but still fun.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I still think the ACC/Pac 12 should combine to become the ALL COASTS CONFERENCE but hey im sure thats "logisitically hard" or something I dunno.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Spacebump posted:

Pac-12 should take SMU/Memphis/Tulane/SDSU. Then do pods and have SMU/Memphis/Tulane/Colorado in a pod. Not perfect, but still fun.

Replacing USC with Tulane does seems like a good upgrade now that you mention it

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/Lane_Kiffin/status/1623700222902784001?s=20&t=RBsWhxSJ4imZE_hUKUhieA

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
So, what does HE think it means? I see eagle claws coming out of the bottom so I assume it's an Auburn thing but I can't figure it out

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Joey Freshwater posted:

So, what does HE think it means? I see eagle claws coming out of the bottom so I assume it's an Auburn thing but I can't figure it out

I think it's photoshopped and the P is actually an R.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

I think it's photoshopped and the P is actually an R.

The edge is pretty sloppy on the R to P.

I went looking for the real one and I can't find it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Today I learned that Miami (FL) plays Miami (OH) this year.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Edward Mass posted:

Today I learned that Miami (FL) plays Miami (OH) this year.

Loser changes name, imo

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Lane’s legit pissed he didn’t see and buy one first.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Hello new teams.

https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/1623845483667144704

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I’ll take my portion of those exit fees thank you.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
everyone prepare your horns down gestures and related paraphernalia

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bird in a Blender posted:

I’ll take my portion of those exit fees thank you.

Yeah I'm kind of curious where the money goes here. Do the new teams get a cut? I guess if you're playing nice and you are a family as a new conference they have to, just seems weird to show up and get some of that Texas and OU money after a year.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah I'm kind of curious where the money goes here. Do the new teams get a cut? I guess if you're playing nice and you are a family as a new conference they have to, just seems weird to show up and get some of that Texas and OU money after a year.

Conferences have handled this differently. I think USC and UCLA get full B10 money year 1, but I know Rutgers and UMD took something like 5 years to get up to a full share. I believe Nebraska was the same, but I could be wrong.

I wouldn't be surprised if the B12 was taking a while to get the new schools up to a full share. The conference has more power in this situation to me.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Can’t wait for Texas to cry their eyes out at Horns Down on the deafest of ears—because they are not, nor will they ever be, the conference darling.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

LeeMajors posted:

Can’t wait for Texas to cry their eyes out at Horns Down on the deafest of ears—because they are not, nor will they ever be, the conference darling.

I think people vastly overestimate how much the average Texas fan gives a poo poo about horns down. Mack Brown whined about it publicly on a couple of occasions, but he was always a bit of a thin-skinned old fuddy duddy. There was that one WVU game years back where they called taunting a couple times when they probably shouldn’t have on players doing horns down. Then they clarified that there’s no special horns down rule, it’s just the same taunting rule as always (which is inherently pretty arbitrary, taunt at your own risk).

Up in the stands it’s just a given. Opposing players can get flagged but not opposing fans. I’ve never seen it even get a rise out of a fan or known anyone who cared about it, let alone crying their eyes out.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Thermos H Christ posted:

I think people vastly overestimate how much the average Texas fan gives a poo poo about horns down. Mack Brown whined about it publicly on a couple of occasions, but he was always a bit of a thin-skinned old fuddy duddy. There was that one WVU game years back where they called taunting a couple times when they probably shouldn’t have on players doing horns down. Then they clarified that there’s no special horns down rule, it’s just the same taunting rule as always (which is inherently pretty arbitrary, taunt at your own risk).

Up in the stands it’s just a given. Opposing players can get flagged but not opposing fans. I’ve never seen it even get a rise out of a fan or known anyone who cared about it, let alone crying their eyes out.

Didn't the B12 ban and will fine teams that do it because the school whined so much? Or at least penalize it as unsportsmanlike?

The only thing I can equate it to off the top of my head is opposing teams doing the gator chomp when playing Florida but that's never flagged that I can recall.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Didn't the B12 ban and will fine teams that do it because the school whined so much? Or at least penalize it as unsportsmanlike?

The only thing I can equate it to off the top of my head is opposing teams doing the gator chomp when playing Florida but that's never flagged that I can recall.

As I recall fans weren't supposed to do it at one point but they ended up making it taunting. You can't do Horns Down in a player's face or towards their sideline is where they ended up.

Making a big deal out of it is why it's such a meme though.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think Texas fans and admins are largely smart enough to know that they’re going to be guests in someone else’s home in the SEC and will largely conduct themselves accordingly.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

There ya go Texas, it’s just money, was it that hard?

Now all that’s left is to Horns Down as hard as I possibly can when they visit Houston.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

drunk leprechaun posted:

Rutgers ... took something like 5 years to get up to a full share.

Should have been tied to some sort of performance metric, like "winning 20 conference games."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Big news for Texas

Our QB got rid of his stupid-rear end haircut

https://twitter.com/KyrahMac1/status/1623825842877919235

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

https://twitter.com/largeelyphants/status/1623989039421353987

I can’t tell if Horace is getting predictable or I’m getting better at reading these. I’m starting to suspect it’s just a bot doing find/replace on rivals posts or something. It’s too consistent to not be a bit.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Joey Freshwater posted:

The gentleman in my pfp got flagged for it in the '12 Cocktail Party.

Anyhoo, who's everyone getting?

https://twitter.com/BudElliott3/status/1623893339190841345?s=20&t=TatPJeWSmadhgcNp4CXp8A

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Warbird posted:

https://twitter.com/largeelyphants/status/1623989039421353987

I can’t tell if Horace is getting predictable or I’m getting better at reading these. I’m starting to suspect it’s just a bot doing find/replace on rivals posts or something. It’s too consistent to not be a bit.

My assumption was it's someone doing speech-to-text with a near-incomprehensible drawl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Of course Florida has the toughest slate in this hypothetical scenario