Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

The Modern Leper posted:

Hopefully the shows that I like just make the move to Hulu, since that service seems to be healthy.

About Hulu....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Interstellar is on Paramount Plus. I liked it when I first saw it, but over the years it's become one of my favorite movies, to the point where it's a comfort movie where I can put it on when I'm sleepy and don't mind only paying partial attention to it. When I do make it to the end, I think it's the only movie that makes me cry every time. That end scene gets me.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I guess it's like sleep therapy with the sea roar set to max

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Watched Skinamarink last night. I appreciated what it was trying to do, but unfortunately I just didn't find it scary at all. I think it probably would have been more effective as a short, at 100 minutes it just ended up being kinda tedious.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Nihonniboku posted:

Hey guys, welcome to part 13 of my video series on why Disney is a doomed company

Lol. Disney itself will be fine (although Desantis is doing his best to make that not the case especially with newer legislation).. but honestly this is the first time I feel like they may not be interested in actually keeping their service going. Bet they end up just licensing out their shows again at some point in the next 5 years.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

BonoMan posted:

Lol. Disney itself will be fine (although Desantis is doing his best to make that not the case especially with newer legislation).. but honestly this is the first time I feel like they may not be interested in actually keeping their service going. Bet they end up just licensing out their shows again at some point in the next 5 years.

In all seriousness, I'm not sure I agree. This is a company that famously keeps their films in a vault, and will only release their films on home video in limited quantities.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Rewatching Patriot since someone mentioned it in the last page or 2. Such a unique, phenomenal show.

It is fantastic. The only gripe I have about it is it's really hard to describe it to people who haven't seen it but that's not even a knock against it really.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Patriot was great but it was kind of running out of steam at the end. Which is disappointing because I would have watched that for many seasons.

If you like Patriot I’d recommend checking out Lodge 49, which is on Hulu and not on AMC+ like I assumed it would be since it was an AMC show

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

Enos Cabell posted:

Watched Skinamarink last night.

I'm sorry :(

I've started watching The Expanse. I've read books 1-3 so now seems a fair time to start the series, as I've been at a loss for what to watch at night lately. So far, not bad. Miller still looks way off from how I pictured him (and how the books describe him iirc -- isn't he supposed to be balding and not in shape?)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Deadite posted:

Patriot was great but it was kind of running out of steam at the end. Which is disappointing because I would have watched that for many seasons.

If you like Patriot I’d recommend checking out Lodge 49, which is on Hulu and not on AMC+ like I assumed it would be since it was an AMC show

Also mandatory recommendation of Perpetual Grace, LTD. By the creator of Patriot with some of the same cast.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Do Patriot, Lodge 49, and Perpetual Grace all end on cliffhangers of sorts? I'm pretty sure I heard the first two did. I watched the first season of both those, but never got into the second seasons.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Nihonniboku posted:

In all seriousness, I'm not sure I agree. This is a company that famously keeps their films in a vault, and will only release their films on home video in limited quantities.

I don't mean their whole catalog necessarily, but I'm pretty sure they had lots of content on Netflix before Disney+ started. So basically, keep their classics behind the stupid loving "Vault" and then let the modern stuff be licensed out.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Field Mousepad posted:

It is fantastic. The only gripe I have about it is it's really hard to describe it to people who haven't seen it but that's not even a knock against it really.

It's Barry, but with an operative instead of a hitman, and instead of acting he sings folk tunes that casually divulge classified information.

I don't think I've convinced anyone to watch it.

Bananaquiter fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 10, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Deadite posted:

I wonder how For All Mankind got the green light. Unless Joel Kinnaman is a bigger star than I realize.

It's dumb but I find it pretty entertaining. idk

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

Watched Skinamarink last night. I appreciated what it was trying to do, but unfortunately I just didn't find it scary at all. I think it probably would have been more effective as a short, at 100 minutes it just ended up being kinda tedious.
Yeah, I think the director's shorts more or less follow similar formulas/aesthetic and that sounds less...stretched out?

Anecdotally, every zoomer I know thinks it's a work of genius and there's all these 5 paragraph reviews from my friends all like "i was seven, I woke up in the middle of the night" or focused on "the nature of nostalgia"

I liked it okay, but I wish it had more and had less...like it felt too much in spots and too little in others. You've got vast stretches where nothing happens, I was begging for some shadowy blur or an object moving, you know, "signs of spookiness", and then you have moments that are just too much and seem almost silly. I'd rather have had it more distributed...I saw it in theaters and a good chunk of the audience was basically lulled to sleep, following this rhythm that almost felt cheap where it's quiet and sleepy for what feels like eternity and then BOOM LOUD THINGS JUMP SCARE.
Tbf when the film started, five minutes in, i thought to myself "oh my God I hope this is the whole movie!!"...but you know, be careful what you wish for.
Still, a pretty confident debut. I liked the director just committing.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I really disliked Patriot because the concept felt so dumb. Going deep undercover at a real company because...they wanted to bring some money to Luxembourg. I thought maybe it was to give him a valid reason to go to Iran or something, but no, they do an exchange in loving Luxembourg. The CIA has a billion fake companies and even fake airlines set up expressly for the purpose of transporting poo poo covertly around the world, just use one of those!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mcmagic posted:

It's dumb but I find it pretty entertaining. idk

I think they just mean in light of the Apple "every project must have a star attached" rule and not just the show generally.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Bananaquiter posted:

It's Barry, but with an operative instead of a hitman, and instead of acting he sings folk tunes that casually divulge classified information.

I don't think I've convinced anyone to watch it.

that's like me trying to describe Lodge 49. "It's like Twin Peaks, but there isn't a murder mystery, and everyone is so laid-back that they aren't working that hard to figure out the magical stuff. Actually it might be more about how capitalism can destroy communities?"

BonoMan posted:

I think they just mean in light of the Apple "every project must have a star attached" rule and not just the show generally.

Yeah I like For All Mankind but it doesn't have the star power of the other Apple shows.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

im watching the crouching tiger sequel. its a lot goofier than the old one but I'm about halfway throuhg and I think it definitely captures the spirit of the original at least. but I doubt theres going to be a super moving ending to this one like the original

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Are the action scenes as (or close to) fun/well-choreographed as the original? Or is it a big drop down?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Are the action scenes as (or close to) fun/well-choreographed as the original? Or is it a big drop down?

I think so, there was just a cool ice fight scene they just did. theres a lot more fighting in this one I think in general
theres more overt magic in this one, the first one was pretty subtle. the cinematography isn't going to be as beautiful either

the set design is good. for a netflix original, its great haha

yeah the ending was just "okay, we're done fighting. movie over"

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 10, 2023

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Skinamarink was...fine. Good atmosphere, but definitely 20-30 minutes too long. I get the feeling that the writer/director got so many people saying "Your short film is so good, you should make it a feature", but he didn't actually expand it, he just made it MORE and it feels completely bloated. It also seems tailor made for the think piece/youtube video "SKINAMARINK EXPLAINED" crowd, but without anyone involved realizing that it is possible to make your story too open for interpretation to the point to the point where your film isn't even about anything anymore. Lore obsessives will eat it up for years to come.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Skinamarink is pretty much just a horror asmr feature

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Most of the run time I was just trying to guess what ISO they were using on each particular shot.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it is for people who have somehow convinced themselves that liminal spaces are terrifying, which is the zoomer version of when Goons used to be terrified of the sea in the 2000s and wouldn't even play Endless Ocean

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Skinamarink would work best if you fell asleep with the TV on and woke up in the middle of the night with it showing, saw about 10 minutes of it while half asleep and then in the morning could find no evidence of it ever existing.

But that's not really something achievable for a film.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

ymgve posted:

I really disliked Patriot...

This is a totally legitimate point and I don't care at all. The vibe, the humour, the acting, the scene construction, the music, and on and on. I love everything about Patriot.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

ymgve posted:

I really disliked Patriot because the concept felt so dumb. Going deep undercover at a real company because...they wanted to bring some money to Luxembourg. I thought maybe it was to give him a valid reason to go to Iran or something, but no, they do an exchange in loving Luxembourg. The CIA has a billion fake companies and even fake airlines set up expressly for the purpose of transporting poo poo covertly around the world, just use one of those!

That part is a bit silly, but the dad explains this at one point as him doing something his boss officially said ‘no’ to, which he believed to mean an ‘off the books yes’ which means do it without any official help with operations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is a completely unaltered screen grab I took of Tim Robinsons head in I think you should leave

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Brocktoon posted:

Skinamarink was...fine. Good atmosphere, but definitely 20-30 minutes too long. I get the feeling that the writer/director got so many people saying "Your short film is so good, you should make it a feature", but he didn't actually expand it, he just made it MORE and it feels completely bloated. It also seems tailor made for the think piece/youtube video "SKINAMARINK EXPLAINED" crowd, but without anyone involved realizing that it is possible to make your story too open for interpretation to the point to the point where your film isn't even about anything anymore. Lore obsessives will eat it up for years to come.

This is exactly how I felt about Mama and the babadook

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Skinamarink is so polarizing I feel like I need to watch it today just to see what's up, but also the people who didn't like it's main complaint seems to be that it's loving boring so I keep false starting it and getting distracted lol.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
There's a poll in the horror thread about skinamarink that I need to check the results on lol

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wanna see other movies get the skinamarink cut (every shot is just extremely zoomed into a wall/ceiling corner)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

54.1% Yeah
45.9% Naw

40 to 34 was the horror thread divide

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Cunk on Earth is so loving stupid lmao

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

Cunk: The thing about Jesus is that he was very modest
Expert: well yes, but also he told everyone he was the son of god and if he hadn't done that he wouldn't have been um...killed
Cunk: oh, yeah. What an idiot

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

A MIRACLE posted:

I’d never heard of cunk until the latest show dropped. Is this like white female Ali G?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Brocktoon posted:

Skinamarink would work best if you fell asleep with the TV on and woke up in the middle of the night with it showing, saw about 10 minutes of it while half asleep and then in the morning could find no evidence of it ever existing.

But that's not really something achievable for a film.

Have it crash recorded into the middle of some other non-descript movie so it emerges in and out of a static haze.

I feel like they've done this gag in some of the VHS movies tho.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Nuts and Gum posted:

I’d never heard of cunk until the latest show dropped. Is this like white female Ali G?

That is fairly accurate yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

ruddiger posted:

I wanna see other movies get the skinamarink cut (every shot is just extremely zoomed into a wall/ceiling corner)

Hideaki Anno got close

https://mobile.twitter.com/SadHillDevan/status/1622390507342270464