Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the worst thing Dana White has ever done? Vote for as many as you want.
This poll is closed.
End sponsorships so fighters are completely dependent on the UFC's pay 62 10.56%
Ban elaborate entrances and custom gear unless you're a company favorite 43 7.33%
Align himself and the UFC with Donald Trump 53 9.03%
Abuse his wife and somehow guilt MMA media for reporting about it 60 10.22%
Go on a homophobic, misogynist rant about Loretta Hunt and play free speech martyr thereafter 48 8.18%
Compare pay-per-view pirates to Osama bin Laden 40 6.81%
Argue so poorly that he somehow made Jake Paul the good guy 46 7.84%
Allow Logan Paul to own the colors Red and Blue 36 6.13%
Create Conor McGregor 36 6.13%
Blackball the entire American Kickboxing Academy until they signed away lifetime likeness rights 49 8.35%
Use Marlon Vera's daughter's medical needs for advertising, then make fans crowdfund it 49 8.35%
Create the Power Slap League 54 9.20%
Post your own and then vote for it 11 1.87%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
To add to the UFC Twitter thing, I've seen more ads for the PPV on Korean TV and on Instagram from the Korean UFC account than anything from the main UFC accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Fozzy The Bear posted:

China is clearing using PEDs, 100% Zhang Weili is on EVERYTHING. Probably the Leech too.

As I’ve said before, if she’s on stuff, she still passes the tests regularly. One of the more tested athletes in the org. Some national level roadblocks might give her decent heads up, but the stuff still washes out quick.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Lyu Xiaojun was one of the biggest names in weightlifting for years. Three times Olympic champion and they only caught him in December. If a country with China's expertise and resources decides that you belong in the special program, it will take more than the UFC's don't ask, don't tell doping program to detect it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Freudian slippers posted:

If a country with China's expertise and resources decides that you belong in the special programit.

I want that elucidated, cuz it’s not clear if she does get any national level training support.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Dunno if she does, didn't say she did. I'm only saying that there's a difference between catching some knucklehead who gets his gear from a Hells Angel in a rust-belt back alley and someone who's in a state sponsored doping program.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
:siren:

Digital Jedi posted:

Early reminder to join the Tapology group and get your picks in for the PPV

https://www.tapology.com/groups/998

:siren:

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

I just requested to join the group, username Partybrian5000, ty!

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Accepted. Have fun making bad picks with the rest of us!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I keep thinking about Dana forgetting a name that stands out as much as Islam does.

FootballFreak2
Jan 8, 2023

Bookmarking

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

kimbo305 posted:

I keep thinking about Dana forgetting a name that stands out as much as Islam does.

when WME bought the place, dana had to sit through sexual harassment (boring!) and social media (gently caress those dweebs!) training, so he half remembers being told "don't talk about china, or islam, or anything that could negatively impact growth opportunities" but cant remember why because he was watching a supercut of "the man show"'s girls jumping on trampolines while the HR presentation was going on

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Freudian slippers posted:

Lyu Xiaojun was one of the biggest names in weightlifting for years. Three times Olympic champion and they only caught him in December. If a country with China's expertise and resources decides that you belong in the special program, it will take more than the UFC's don't ask, don't tell doping program to detect it.

Someone posted during the most recent Olympics about Chinese lifters and China doing genetic testing on their athletes because there's a gene that prevents you from excreting as much or detectable exogenous testosterone or something. I.e there's definitely a state run program where they test what they can get away with.

I remember looking into it at the time and it was backed by some sources and I can't for the life of me remember what the actual science behind it was.

Im not saying Wei Lei is definitely on gear but I think China's always going to have that knock on their athletes because they've been caught so often over the last 30 years.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I think overall it makes a lot of sense if China cares a lot about the Olympics and doesn't care at all about UFC, that aside, Weili spends a lot of her time in Vegas these days doesn't she?

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
I believe in volkanovski because he has the power of rugby. When he was playing professionally he was walking around North of 200 and still had the cardio to play. He can safely get as strong as Islam and also has a long history of islanders smashing into him at high speed trying to take him down.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
“They Are Attacking Me”: UFC President Dana White Opens Up on Huge Backlash in Past Months

https://www.essentiallysports.com/ufc-mma-news-they-are-attacking-me-ufc-president-dana-white-opens-up-on-huge-backlash-in-past-months/

quote:

Hence, White believes that he is the wrong guy for the media to attack, since he has been in the fighting industry for more than two decades. He also mentioned that the New Year’s eve incident with his wife had also added to the turmoil. White said, “When you look at the attacks that happened over the last three weeks on Power Slap, they are not attacking them, they are attacking me.”

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just lol at the bald red-faced HGH obsessed man baby.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

When people attack Bum Fights, they're not attacking the unhoused starving masses struggling to throw a swing in hopes of maybe getting a sandwich, they're attacking me, the guy maybe giving them a sandwich

What has the world come to????

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

BREAKING: Brain Damage Enthusiast Upset That His Spousal Abuse Is Drawing Attention Away From His Labor Abuse, Developing......

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009
'Dana White privilege' is not a real thing, says UFC Boss Dana White

mewse
May 2, 2006

boo hoo i slapped my wife around and didn’t face any consequences

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dana White, documented wife abuser, speaking on his new sport where people are paid pennies to try and survive being attacked: "I'm being attacked"

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Dana White: They are not attacking Dana White's Power League, they are attacking me. I just made it, run it, and named it after myself. Wait until you see what I do with it!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
k i realise this is super off topic but your post made me look it up and learn tom clancy died nearly a decade ago wtf i thought he was still alive

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ilmucche posted:

k i realise this is super off topic but your post made me look it up and learn tom clancy died nearly a decade ago wtf i thought he was still alive

I was hoping Tom Clancy is Dead's reg date was the same day Tom Clancy died, but alas, no

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
everyone is on gear

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

What up, sluts. You know what's awesome? Fighting. Hitting people in the head. Confronting your problems straight on, like a fuckin' man, except women can do it now too I guess whatever. Confrontation! Not like those internet losers.

But you know what's not awesome? Being mean to me on the internet. It's like super hosed up that people think it's my fault my wife made me hit her, which was totally wrong, but also, gently caress you, you know? There's no excuse for what I did, but it was fine, and if you're talking about it instead of My Dana White's Power Slap Slap-Per-View Slapspecial you're hurting the fighters, which makes you the real abuser, and abuse is never okay unless Conor does it in which case I have no comment.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Collapsing Farts posted:

everyone is on gear

tom clancy isnt

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

Monetized wife slapping

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mewse posted:

boo hoo i slapped my wife around and didn’t face any consequences

His consequences are he has to live with it for the rest of his life. But also that it's not fair people are "attacking" him for doing that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Brut posted:

I think overall it makes a lot of sense if China cares a lot about the Olympics and doesn't care at all about UFC, that aside, Weili spends a lot of her time in Vegas these days doesn't she?

She spends a lot of camp training striking in Thailand. I can't tell what the split is, but she def trains in China with her home team, too.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Islam's dead eyed stare like a great white shark as he talks about how he enjoys taking the best fighters in the world apart piece by piece at will is somewhat disconcerting.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
New UFC contracts just dropped

https://twitter.com/AlexanderKLee/status/1624050554992197633?t=g3WiBqd0vQlcl_u027mV3Q&s=19

highlights include:

- all disputes must be taken to arbitration
- fighter that sign a new contract cannot join a class action law suit against UFC, including those in progress that a fighter qualifies for
- the previous provision that only let UFC extend a contract for 18 months for turning down fights is now gone, the time limit is the 5 year sunset clause
- sunset clause timer no longer starts the day the contract is signed, but the day of the first bout, and it gets paused for suspensions (not sure if that just means USADA or also medical)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I wouldn't be surprised if some of that stuff isn't legal

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

beep by grandpa posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if some of that stuff isn't legal

The problem is getting it in front of a court in the first place. Every state has different rules re: arbitration, but generally speaking an arbitration decision is unreviewable by any court unless it meets specific requirements. Arbitration is loving evil and effectively ends all court remedies. Even if something in the contract is unenforceable, it will take a couple of years of arbitration to determine whether it is or not, and that decision is unique to the one case so another arbitrator can decide that it is enforceable. It's hosed.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The labor is taking brain damage. UFC are rear end in a top hat negotiaters.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The class action lawsuit against UFC will probably be older than several UFC fighters by the time it finally finishes up.

Random but I've been listening to old Coast to Coast AM with Art Bell and was listening to a May 96 episode last night. After half a dozen calls about the Chupacabra, Art reads a fax. The listener asks Art if he watched UFC 9 and that he couldn't believe how bad it was. However he's excited for UFC 10. Felt good for that listener knowing he was going to get to see The Hammer.

Art responds that he didn't watch UFC 9 and stopped watching UFC because there were too many rules getting in the way. I was sad to know that Art would probably never get to see Mark Coleman.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

LobsterMobster posted:

New UFC contracts just dropped

ah, something new for the poll.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
https://twitter.com/jedigoodman/status/1623992393702965249

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU