Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I was a bit late out of the gate, but I think I finally have a shot at a WC, after my last disastrous attempt as the Coptomans.

I think. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

THE BAR posted:

I was a bit late out of the gate, but I think I finally have a shot at a WC, after my last disastrous attempt as the Coptomans.

I think. :ohdear:

You have tons of time to WC. You do probably want to betray Spain ASAP so you can snatch Alhambra and get that going.

The HRE vassal swarm strat is good because the AIs will do most of the tedious war stuff like carpet sieging for you, but also bad in that you have to micro-manage all the peace deals to make sure you keep enough vassals snaked out to have coring range once you get out of Europe.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Firebatgyro posted:

You have tons of time to WC. You do probably want to betray Spain ASAP so you can snatch Alhambra and get that going.

The HRE vassal swarm strat is good because the AIs will do most of the tedious war stuff like carpet sieging for you, but also bad in that you have to micro-manage all the peace deals to make sure you keep enough vassals snaked out to have coring range once you get out of Europe.

Peace deals can be done while paused, so no sweat there.

I was hoping to force a PU on Spain, but the moment never came, so yeah, they're on my list. Same happened with Muscovy, what a shame.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/europa-universalis-iv-development-diary-24th-of-january-2023.1565995/

Ottoman rework!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Jesus, the Ottos are getting a new kind of vassal swarm.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
That was a long but very enjoyable read.

Also I'm doing the Sickos laugh right up against my monitor at the second event option here:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

when's eu5

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
never

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
the decadence mechanic ought to be triggered by something other than the generally bad stuff that players manage to avoid anyway.
oh no you mean I cant sit at negative stability and be massively overextended, whoops

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Mr. Grinch posted:

the decadence mechanic ought to be triggered by something other than the generally bad stuff that players manage to avoid anyway.
oh no you mean I cant sit at negative stability and be massively overextended, whoops

I mean, being heavily overextended and over governing capacity are both easy to do as the Ottos and also often extremely tempting.

That being said, their new vassal system might mean that's hardly an issue anymore. Depends on how greedy the player gets I suppose.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Ottoman vassal swarm plus subjugating the Mamluks in one war, holy poo poo. No-cb on Byzantium is gonna be mandatory if you're in Europe.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I like that they're giving Ottoman something to do with the land besides blob horribly and out of control. They claim that the custom vassals will contribute a roughly equivalent amount of manpower/forcelimit as if you owned the land directly, but I feel like this may hit the brakes a bit on them going in all directions all at once.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

oddium posted:

when's eu5

next PDXcon

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

oddium posted:

when's eu5

lol been thinking this lately

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I do find it encouraging that they talked about lessons learned in this dev diary. I hope it is stuff that will be accounted for when designing EU5 (assuming that they have not started yet).

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Well this one took a while. :toot:

Here's the ideas I went with since 200 is NOT a lot of points.

A few notes:
~For religion I went Confucian since all you need to do is harmonize 2 religious groups and you've got true faith provinces for the rest of the game in the Americas
~For culture I went Castilian even though I was forced to go Mexican via events, since Portugal and Spain usually get 90% of the Americas I wanted to be in the Iberian culture group
~I started in the Texas area with some provinces snaked down to Mexico for early conquest.
~All the drat gold in the area meant I was sitting around 20-30% inflation until the late 1500 when I got economic
~I had to turn off the cb popups because the colonizer AI spams the gently caress out of them ALL loving GAME when they get there, paradox please just make trade conflict CB last 10 years and not when some dipshit sends 1 privateer.
~I was, probably because of religion, diplomatically isolated for a LONG time, my first and only ally was The Ottomans and that didn't happen until the 1600s

Detheros fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 30, 2023

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I turned CB notifications off a long time ago and never looked back. I never use the trade one anyway and if I just fabricated a claim I don’t need a pop up telling me I have a cb now

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

remember when siberian frontier was free for custom nations

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
New Japan dev diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/europa-universalis-iv-development-diary-31st-of-january-2023-japan.1566648/

Japan is really one of those countries that make me wish they'd fix the latter start dates, so I could play a Oda Nobunaga campaign.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I feel like the later start dates are stuck in a catch-22. They suck because they never get any attention from the devs because nobody ever plays them because they suck.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

I feel like the later start dates are stuck in a catch-22. They suck because they never get any attention from the devs because nobody ever plays them because they suck.

They also break cheevos except for a precious handful, I believe?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I believe so yeah. And if they got some dev time they could get more achievements specific to those start dates but...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Wafflecopper posted:

I believe so yeah. And if they got some dev time they could get more achievements specific to those start dates but...

There's only the USA one right now, I think.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I think the Trail of Tears one can be done at a later date, too.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

:toot:

So I actually have a surprising amount of time left to convert everything. It's been quite a roller coaster, although I was never in any real danger of collapse. I could've done it way faster, maybe 50 years earlier, had I remembered that I was the papal controller almost this entire time, and could truce break for what's essentially 40 admin power. Oh well.

I only picked naval at the end, just to finally get to click that thalassocracy decision... which was wildly pointless when I've been capped on ducats for centuries by that point. Transferring your vassals' trade is your friend.

Now I'll find a nice, big horizon to stare into, that my eyes may readjust themselves.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Ugh playing past 1750 is torture.

But after kicking myself in the dick with the Ardabil start for months and months I finally got it. :toot:

A few notes:

~ Having 2+ Morale over your enemies for 90% of the game is pretty hilarious
~ Kazakh up there is a March
~ This game is so poorly optimized that I genuinely think that removing regiment camps from the game would improve it's performance immensely because there would be so many less troops since the ai puts a camp in every loving province. Seriously the last 25 years took as long to run as the 60 before them because everyone of note has 600k+ troops and minors have 300k+
~ Spread the Revolution cb is still busted and I love it (Show Superiority goal on everyone, -50% ae and -50% cost for like everything)

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Mr. Grinch posted:

Yeah, such mechanics often feel pointless. It'd be interesting if it was a general mechanic to make bigger empires fall faster if they stumble. But it's just for Ottomans so you'll very rarely care about it unless you play as Ottomans (you will probably only notice it when you try to destroy Ottomans in several wars and the second war turns out easier than expected), and if you play as Ottomans it's just don't do bad, do good.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

ilitarist posted:

Yeah, such mechanics often feel pointless. It'd be interesting if it was a general mechanic to make bigger empires fall faster if they stumble. But it's just for Ottomans so you'll very rarely care about it unless you play as Ottomans (you will probably only notice it when you try to destroy Ottomans in several wars and the second war turns out easier than expected), and if you play as Ottomans it's just don't do bad, do good.

It's the same issue as the Itqa governments from CK2. If you're playing someone with that government type, decadence accumulation was very easy to avoid.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
In Iqta you at least had to do something specific (make sure your dynasty members are employed or, preferably, dead) so while it might not have been good it was not pointless. This decadence mechanic could have went in different ways limiting your strategic options. I dunno, make it so that you get Decadence from territories/trade companies so you have to either core everything or create vassals. Instead it's just play as you always do.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.

Detheros posted:

~ This game is so poorly optimized that I genuinely think that removing regiment camps from the game would improve it's performance immensely because there would be so many less troops since the ai puts a camp in every loving province. Seriously the last 25 years took as long to run as the 60 before them because everyone of note has 600k+ troops and minors have 300k+

I agree with this, the force limit buildings are already way too effective even before forcelimit mods from national ideas or quantity/offensive.
Each point of development is +0.1 forcelimit, so a regimental camp is worth 10 dev and the conscription center is worth 20, which is insane for a single building.
Even manufactories are only worth 5 dev, and a bonused soldier household is 6. You get way too much mileage out of forcelimit buildings and they should remove them altogether IMO

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
And here I keep deleting all the forcelimit buildings I inherit from the AI's provinces after a conquest because I don't have the cash to pay for the troops they would support.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I just noticed TMIT of civ fanatics fame now posts intensely swotty posts on Reddit about Anbennar and DCSS. I mean it makes sense that he'd play other things but still, he was probably the best civilisation 4 player for a while and wrote a ton of guides for high-level play.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've been trying to play Sapmi but even starting is difficult because the only way I can manage to get them to spawn at all is by separatists on Kola as Novgorod despite several provinces having their culture in Sweden. Being a 1/1/1 OPM in such a lovely location is also well beyond my meager skills. :v:

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Private Speech posted:

I just noticed TMIT of civ fanatics fame now posts intensely swotty posts on Reddit about Anbennar and DCSS. I mean it makes sense that he'd play other things but still, he was probably the best civilisation 4 player for a while and wrote a ton of guides for high-level play.

Link to one of them? I always like good guides.

Anbennchat: I’ve been playing around with the dwarf nations, starting as Asra -> Khugdir.

How are you supposed to expand fast enough to do the second tier Khugdir missions before everywhere is locked up by a superpower in a WW1 style alliance? Are you basically supposed to just camp Khugdir from day 1 and not do any expeditions? I tend to spend 20-30 years wandering the halls first so that I have some of that Ancient Dwarven Knowledge but maybe I’m doing it wrong.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Beefeater1980 posted:

Anbennchat: I’ve been playing around with the dwarf nations, starting as Asra -> Khugdir.

How are you supposed to expand fast enough to do the second tier Khugdir missions before everywhere is locked up by a superpower in a WW1 style alliance? Are you basically supposed to just camp Khugdir from day 1 and not do any expeditions? I tend to spend 20-30 years wandering the halls first so that I have some of that Ancient Dwarven Knowledge but maybe I’m doing it wrong.

Beelining is still, unfortunately, mostly required for everyone in the serpentspine. Just do expeditions as you have excess manpower.

You want to be expanding your chosen capital hold as quick as possible.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

There's always something satisfying about starting from nothing as a vassal and getting a cheevo. :toot:

Notes:
~ I went down to Tabriz and moved my capitol there since even having a few provinces in the Persia Node is enough to make good money.
~ Timurids stayed big all game (so I allied them) until The Ottomans called me against them, then I took them apart over like 4 wars.
~ Since Timurids didn't collapse I had to snake up to Muscovy, luckily I had Ottoman AND Timurid Help for a while.
~ While I was still allied to the Ottomans I was able to get a province in Hungary, release Transylvania, and get the Ottomans to return like 7 of their cores
~ Shoutout to MVP Prussia for forming and going on a tear, mad the one war with Ottomans much more manageable. (Seriously, Ottomans had 600k troops already, remove regiment camps)
~ Caucasian Ideas are trash garbage lmao

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I always love rinsing allies for subject cores using favours, never not hilarious

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Poil posted:

I've been trying to play Sapmi but even starting is difficult because the only way I can manage to get them to spawn at all is by separatists on Kola as Novgorod despite several provinces having their culture in Sweden. Being a 1/1/1 OPM in such a lovely location is also well beyond my meager skills. :v:

What patch/dlc are you playing on? They have cores and can be released now but you might need Lions of the North

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Beefeater1980 posted:

I haven't played Khudgir specifically but yeah you're pretty much always meant to beeline your desired hold ASAP and then do the expeditions when you colonise expedition provinces, rather than migrating around for ages first.

I think the balance/timing for such tags is often a bit wonky though tbh. Especially with adm 7 being the requirement to reform a hold, I end up being behind on admin because its really easy to annex a lot of land quickly in serpentspine. Especially in the west you can eat railskulker + mountainshark + shattered crown + (often) a lot of the Vale + Orzlam hold just from opportunistic conquest very early. And the adventurer govt reforms and missions kind of incentivise waiting longer before reforming a hold.

So I'll end up, for example, reforming mithril hold and immediately finishing the first 10 missions. The glass hold also has a mission to get rid of the forest goblins outside the hold, and I have literally never been in a situation where those guys are still alive when I have hit that mission, especially as the dwarovar tags have a buff until ~1494 that they lose if they attack outside the mountains.

Dwarovar owns in general though, it's the strongest part of Anbennar imo. I wish there were even more mountains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

IMO it's best to migrate around doing expeditions. Completing expeditions while you hold only one province gives you a choice of extra development when you found your hold or gov reform - take gov reform, as completing adventurer gov reforms will decrease the admin efficiency debuff you get when you form a hold. Completing all gov reforms will fully negate the admin efficiency debuff, and you get some nice bonuses too. If you're pumping organisation to get the expeditions done quickly, you should have completed your government reforms around the time you reach admin tech 7.

Khugdhir might be a special case because it's at a bottleneck in the Serpentspine, but if you're playing elsewhere it's worth it to migrate.