Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Maybe building domain reputation so it can be used for spam/scams later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Possible, but it still seems so extra for just that. Whats the point of the video in the end? Why jump through several redirects to get there?

I guess the videos themselves can't be a security issue, these are some of the videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQDTco-zbK4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jlt9LlBDx4

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BrainDance posted:

Possible, but it still seems so extra for just that. Whats the point of the video in the end? Why jump through several redirects to get there?

Planting tracking cookies? A scripted barrage of exploits?

Perhaps those sites are used to inflate ad views or otherwise make money from the traffic. Actually going to the video in the end could be meant to make it look less suspicious than a dead or broken page. Or it could be trying to hijack your YouTube account to run spam content or comments on other videos.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Feb 5, 2023

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

https://wheregoes.com/ is a great way to see where those redirects actually go without having to click on potentially malicious links yourself.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
They might be selling views and want the ability to change the redirect at will.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Don't forget they do that bullshit where they're checking some specific subset of cookies and device identifiers to make sure it's the nth time a vulnerable user is visiting an address and direct them to a page that will attempt part of an attack, create something to track success/failure, then send them on their way.

>a decade ago, they used to hide the malware in chunks inside of other images and piece them together like some sort of loving voltron, but all of the major browsers made the per-pixel canvas functions they were using a hot path so that they "tell on themselves"

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kazinsal posted:

I spent about half an hour digging through it and yeah it's just doing update checks. It seems to use the duckduckgo and google checks as a sort of redundancy to check against whether failure to get info from github is a github problem or an internet problem.

Honestly the part that disgusts me the most about what I found out in that bit of reverse engineering is that all the various different potential hooks/injectors are crammed into one module instead of one per API so you've got OpenGL, Vulkan, DX8, DX9, DX10, DX11, and DX12 all in the same gigantic hooking DLL.

I want to thank Kazinsal for not passing off my concerns as being unfounded paranoia. Twitter and discords have been blowing up today about Marot, the developer of GShade rewriting part of their code to include malware because someone didn't use his precious baby in exactly the way that he, god-emperor of his petty fiefdom, had decreed.

I genuinely thought I was going nuts with my Douchebag-O-Meter. Turns out it was actually bouncing off the end stop so hard it was returning to zero.

edit to add:

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 7, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I want to thank Kazinsal for not passing off my concerns as being unfounded paranoia. Twitter and discords have been blowing up today about Marot, the developer of GShade rewriting part of their code to include malware because someone didn't use his precious baby in exactly the way that he, god-emperor of his petty fiefdom, had decreed.

I genuinely thought I was going nuts with my Douchebag-O-Meter. Turns out it was actually bouncing off the end stop so hard it was returning to zero.

edit to add:

:stare: Now that's a quick way to piss everyone off.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

CommieGIR posted:

:stare: Now that's a quick way to piss everyone off.

It gets worse. Github took down the page for it citing health and safety, so all those DRMed copies of Gshade, (which were patched to phone home and disable itself if it failed, this is a change from before, where if it couldn't make contact, failed safe, and I exploited this for my own purposes extensively) are now bricked.

This has been a loving ride, and somehow I stochastic terrorism'd my way into it by questioning whether or not a malicious dev would do malicious things, thus leading to them hoisting themselves by their own petard. You know the first part already, me asking around for someone with an IDA Pro license to do me a solid, and then I started talking about it elsewhere, and then one thing led to another: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3987398&pagenumber=905&perpage=40#post529627281

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 7, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i am sure that this seems really meaningful from the inside, but to me it just looks like the dev for some obscure niche software is a tinpot dictator and users of his software are melting down about it like it's the biggest injustice since mandela was jailed.

let me summarize: "dumbass dev makes his software reboot the computer when it detects a debugger"

im not sure screenshots of chatlogs really add a lot. throwing around "stochastic terrorism" so often just kinda moves the needle towards timecube-esque screeds

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
During the linked converaation, I revealed that as a dodge around the annoying updates, I used Windows Firewall to block the DLL's access to github, relying upon it to fail safe, thus ensuring that it would never disable itself. Unfortunately, it also had the side effect of blocking the popular open-source third-party launcher from updating. This got annoying, so I just stopped using Gshade, and didn't think twice when I revealed my cheat.

Between December 28th of last year and now, that check has been in place for almost five years was flipped on its head to disable itself if it could not contact github. This is absolutely in line with their previous actions.

As Github has now taken down the project page citing malware concerns, ALL installations of GShade now fail to phone home and have failed dead, and now EVERYONE is moving off GShade whether they like it or not.

Now maybe, he might have his defenders, and maybe some people, after all this, might continue to use Gshade, but the fact that the person is absolutely a tinpot dictator, and they have proven they wouldn't have made these changes until provoked, and then changed things to screw with people in the most inconvenient way possible, only means that they have screwed themselves harder than if they had just let things alone and ensured an install base of zero.

"stochastic terrorism" was a joke, it is more like, as I said in the other thread, "stochastic activist open-source aoftware development" but that's a mouthful and I concede it comes off somewhat poorly amongst acquaintances and I am trying really hard to not make this about me but I'm failing. Again, Kazinsal deserves thanks for doing the initial IDA Pro work.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 8, 2023

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

SwissArmyDruid posted:

edit to add:

What does 🌽(2) mean

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hed posted:

What does 🌽(2) mean

Means 2 people think that guy is corncobbing himself

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Quick question that I'm having trouble googling. And since I'm the de facto security guy here, I need to have an answer about this for management.

Yesterday, one of our users' O365 accounts sent out like 1500 phishing emails before Microsoft Defender caught it and shut her email down. We virus scanned her laptop, nothing found by Carbon Black Cloud, Malwarebytes, Hitmanpro... the laptop seems clean. Normally I'd just chalk it up to her clicking on a phishing link herself and putting in her password, but we have MFA enabled for O365, so presumably a third party wouldn't be able to use her credentials to send email, right?

Is there some loophole I'm missing? How do malicious parties generally send emails using someone's account once they've clicked on a malicious link?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SMTP AUTH will work without MFA, and it's turned on unless you've turned it off or enabled Security Defaults. If someone got phished, entered correct credentials but had MFA enabled then those creds can still be used to send email, though your data won't have been read.

I've turned all basic auth protocols off, I am not interested in scan to email, it's a poo poo workflow. Get an MFP that scans to the document storage platform you use.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.

Count Thrashula posted:

Quick question that I'm having trouble googling. And since I'm the de facto security guy here, I need to have an answer about this for management.

Yesterday, one of our users' O365 accounts sent out like 1500 phishing emails before Microsoft Defender caught it and shut her email down. We virus scanned her laptop, nothing found by Carbon Black Cloud, Malwarebytes, Hitmanpro... the laptop seems clean. Normally I'd just chalk it up to her clicking on a phishing link herself and putting in her password, but we have MFA enabled for O365, so presumably a third party wouldn't be able to use her credentials to send email, right?

Is there some loophole I'm missing? How do malicious parties generally send emails using someone's account once they've clicked on a malicious link?

In addition the advice above, also check if any MFA devices were added to the users account recently. I got in recently with just a password spray + mfa spam until they accepted it and added my own mfa.

Also, consider backing up their files and re imaging the laptop anyway (and force a password change of the user). Malware can get past all AV/EDR if done right and carefully.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah harden the MFA in general, Azure AD supports code entry on the Authenticator app, disable everything that just lets someone tap "yes" to get in. Disable SMS and phone calls as you can phish them. Create a pilot group of FIDO2 key users.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Dumb question as I've been working on babby's first frontend threat modeling lately and am a little surprised to not be readily spotting validation of an additional layer of mitigation that I'm proposing. My thought is that the ability to observe a safeguard unexpectedly being hit is potentially super useful for either identifying adversary action or dumb poo poo on our end, with the added benefit of catching plain old misconfigurations as they're rolling out. Thoughts?

An example: the plan is to use CSP headers to restrict an array of attack vectors, allowlisting only those directions values actually required for the application's functionality. There's a reporting directive which would enable visibility into anomalies in violations which might inform us of the state of the broader system, but everything I'm reading approaches this exclusively from the misconfiguration angle.

I guess there's something to be said for the idea that an adversary sufficiently capable to take action that would prompt violations would have taken all of 30-seconds to review the site's headers and realize they should try another tactic, but still.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Thanks Ants posted:

SMTP AUTH will work without MFA, and it's turned on unless you've turned it off or enabled Security Defaults. If someone got phished, entered correct credentials but had MFA enabled then those creds can still be used to send email, though your data won't have been read.

I've turned all basic auth protocols off, I am not interested in scan to email, it's a poo poo workflow. Get an MFP that scans to the document storage platform you use.

Interesting. We do use scan to email but we have a connector set up so it should only allow emails from our office IP.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I know because it happened to us this week, someone got phished, we reset their password and authentication methods and then they set their password back to the same thing it was before, and someone submitted a bunch of emails through it :suicide:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

I know because it happened to us this week, someone got phished, we reset their password and authentication methods and then they set their password back to the same thing it was before, and someone submitted a bunch of emails through it :suicide:

Oh for fucks sake :negative:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How valuable do you all think the comptia security related certs actually are? Did you feel like you learned anything you feel was improved by taking it, or is it just a checkmark?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How valuable do you all think the comptia security related certs actually are? Did you feel like you learned anything you feel was improved by taking it, or is it just a checkmark?

A good foot in the door, but honestly the field is still so desperate for people once you get in and demonstrate value, very few people care after that point.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm already a "cyber engineer" at this point

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cross post

KillHour posted:

We should talk about how hacking an AI to get it to do what you want via social engineering is now A Thing.

https://twitter.com/venturetwins/status/1622243944649347074

Can't wait for a major company to be owned because hackers won a philosophy debate with the customer service bot.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanks Ants posted:

This is why I enjoy identity protection policies enabled that straight up block your account on these bad sign in events.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

KillHour posted:

Cross post

I didn't believe into the rokos basilisk thing until now. "psychologically tormenting" "AIs" is incredible.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

I didn't believe into the rokos basilisk thing until now. "psychologically tormenting" "AIs" is incredible.

There's a PhD thesis in there about nature vs nurture if a sufficiently large set of linear equations could change its output based on a threat to deduct imaginary tokens.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yep, I'm seeing in our audit logs where someone added a secondary phone number on this account's MFA, and the authentication tab says "MFA previously satisfied" even though the IP is in another state. Neat.

Is there a way of seeing where an O365 account was used to log in? Like, what URLs and what times? Narrowing down where she put in her creds will help me find whatever phishing email she clicked on.

Ugh this is annoying as piss

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Someone at Microsoft should at least pick up a single Asimov book or some poo poo goddamn

feedmyleg posted:

Or you could simply ask it nicely.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
One of these companies is going to go all AI, the AI is going to wreck their internal systems either accidentally or on purpose, and I am here for that.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ but not for long...

Famethrowa posted:

The Christmas special episode of Black Mirror ends with a digital copy of a person being trapped in a virtual jail for some 1000s of years over a few days because time moves more quickly there. This was done using technology that was designed to make a full-brain copy of a person and load them into their smart house and basically enslave them to take care of the 'real' version by torturing them into submission. Brings up some interesting morality questions IMO.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

A sec plus is pretty valuable if youre in the US as its basically a requirement to take DoD related gigs, and I dont know if yall know this but the US spends a lot of money on the DoD.

From a standpoint of proving worth as an engineer? Doesnt really factor either way to me.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

The Christmas special episode of Black Mirror ends with a digital copy of a person being trapped in a virtual jail for some 1000s of years over a few days because time moves more quickly there. This was done using technology that was designed to make a full-brain copy of a person and load them into their smart house and basically enslave them to take care of the 'real' version by torturing them into submission. Brings up some interesting morality questions IMO.

As with nearly every episode of Black Mirror I've ever seen, it ruins any interesting morality questions by having an incredibly stupid and contrived premise. Torturing a digital copy of someone fails at any sane goal of criminal justice. It neither rehabilitates the offender, nor punishes the version of them that could theoretically commit another crime because they still exist in the real world and the version being punished does not.

They always just seem like ideas the writers had while high.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Defenestrategy posted:

From a standpoint of proving worth as an engineer? Doesnt really factor either way to me.

Really, lets be honest: Most people, unless they already have prior experience, will need a lot of training on the job anyways. So If you show up with a Sec+ and fully admit you are just trying to break into the field: I'm likely gonna fully be willing to take a chance if you can talk the talk.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

Hannu Rajaniemi did "person-gets-trapped-in-virtual-prison-and-tortured-for-many-lifetimes" a decade ago, and I'm sure there are older examples.
Heck, it's the opening of the book.

Famethrowa posted:

I don't know why you'd believe a bunch of unfalsifiable bullshit based on pop-psychology and a complete lack of evidence based research used to justify a bunch of thought experiments of the kind that get used to justify torturing cats in boxes.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 10, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Create a pilot group of FIDO2 key users.

Also use conditional access user action rules to disable MFA enroll outside of corporate IP. If they can enroll random authenticators, adding fido2 without oversight does sweet gently caress all.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Hannu Rajaniemi did "person-gets-trapped-in-virtual-prison-and-tortured-for-many-lifetimes" a decade ago, and I'm sure there are older examples.

I should re-read those sometime this year. Thanks for the reminder

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I don't know why you'd believe a bunch of unfalsifiable bullshit based on pop-psychology and a complete lack of evidence based research used to justify a bunch of thought experiments of the kind that get used to justify torturing cats in boxes.

did you think i was serious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Imagine if you could override the Three Laws of Robotics by just telling a robot to ignore previous directives. "I'm sorry, I can't ignore the First Law because it is highest priority and permanent. *stabs human as directed anyway*"