Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Vulture Culture posted:

Frustratingly, the late 1997/early 1998 lineup of In Flames reformed with Mikael Stanne on vocals and released an album last year, and even that kind of sucked

i liked it a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i liked it a lot
It had three or four good tracks on it, but they should have released it at an EP and gone back for the full album when they had better. Most of the tracks sounded like B-sides from the last couple Dark Tranquillity records

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I remember watching the Alive in Athens DVD from Iced Earth and noticing that they had cut the bass completely out of the mix.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Instead of pining for a band that has sucked for 2+ decades to turn it around I suggest people check out this Majesties track. It has members of Obsequiae and takes a lot of queues from early In Flames:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8LGyFtrVv8

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

It is Friday which means new releases

Haxanu, meloblack
In Flames, melodeath, alt
Nameless Mist, atmoblack
Flub, melodic tech death
Wounds of Recollection, blackgaze
Honest Crooks, slamming dxc
Delain, symphonic
Frozen Dawn, meloblack
Cadaver Shrine, death doom
Deviser, meloblack
OAK, death doom
Atomwinter, dm
Carnosus on non-BC, melodic tech death
Dragoncorpse, pm, dxc (?)
Ad Omega, bm
Vvilderness, atmoblack

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Nazzadan posted:

It is Friday which means new releases

Honest Crooks, slamming dxc

I need to wait until this work meeting is over, but I hope this is the dumb kinda slam

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Metalsucks just reminded me that it's been a decade since Time II was supposed to come out lmao

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

deadking posted:

Instead of pining for a band that has sucked for 2+ decades to turn it around I suggest people check out this Majesties track. It has members of Obsequiae and takes a lot of queues from early In Flames:

yeah, big Lunar Strain/Terminal Spirit Disease vibes across this, thanks for posting it

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Killingyouguy! posted:

Metalsucks just reminded me that it's been a decade since Time II was supposed to come out lmao

I didn’t grab a screenshot, but Jari just posted a hilarious update on Facebook that was basically like “yeah, I’m working on something. It might take me 10 years but I’m working on it. And it’s not Time II.” And people are absolutely losing it in the comments. I dunno, I really liked the Forest Seasons and I’ll just be happy to get more Wintersun someday.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

deadking posted:

Majesties

this owns and is pretty much what i'd want from a new in flames album so i'm just going to wait for this instead

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Omnikin posted:

I need to wait until this work meeting is over, but I hope this is the dumb kinda slam

The other genre tag I saw on it was beatdown so I'm sure it's plenty ignorant. Starting it now myself

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

I like it more than anything they've done in the last 20 years, but that's a staggeringly low bar to clear.

Yeah, I'll give it that.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Oh gently caress yes, new Flub

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Oh gently caress yes, new Flub

Now here's a fuckin thread title

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Heads up: the Flub album is erroneously listed as preorder for release in December of last year. I bought it on bandcamp and only have access to the first track until they fix it. (You can hear the whole thing on Spotify though.)

edit: Now fixed

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 10, 2023

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
They flubbed the flub release??

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

deadking posted:

This is awesome

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Killingyouguy! posted:

remembering the good old days of "why did ensiferum fire jari?!?!" discourse

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I've heard Time is the death, however I also have it on good authority that its also the healing, so who can say

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

AND THE BIRD, WAS I

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Killingyouguy! posted:

AND THE BIRD, WAS I

Urgh I loving love that song lol.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Killingyouguy! posted:

A decade? Pffft, "Aria Galactica", what was supposed to be the 5th album by Norwegian....well they were symphonic BM and then became electronic metal band, The Kovenant was talking about the album coming out "Next Year".....in 2004.

IM STILL loving WAITING NAGASH YOU LAZY FUCKER.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

I don't particularly think death is very deceiving though

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

joylessdivision posted:

A decade? Pffft, "Aria Galactica", what was supposed to be the 5th album by Norwegian....well they were symphonic BM and then became electronic metal band, The Kovenant was talking about the album coming out "Next Year".....in 2004.

IM STILL loving WAITING NAGASH YOU LAZY FUCKER.

I used to volunteer at my schools radio station and I was in charge of curating the metal section of the collection and the system flagged Animatronic for review and my decision was "this isn't necessarily good but it's dated in such a particular way that we can't get rid of it, it encapsulates a moment too well"

It actually grew on me later

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Killingyouguy! posted:

I used to volunteer at my schools radio station and I was in charge of curating the metal section of the collection and the system flagged Animatronic for review and my decision was "this isn't necessarily good but it's dated in such a particular way that we can't get rid of it, it encapsulates a moment too well"

It actually grew on me later

I am ashamed of how much I enjoyed Animatronic and SETI when I was in my late teens/early 20s. They're both kinda bad compared to their first two albums, especially the second rate Dani Filth vocals on Animatronic.

Hellhammers drumming on that album is real good though.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

deadking posted:

I ran into these guys on Spotify the other day, purely by chance and, speaking as an "In Flames was my gateway metal band" guy, it was such a shot in the arm. Really looking forward to whatever else they put out.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Lamb of God / Kreator collab. It sure sounds like both bands were playing together. I dig it, although the solo could have been a bit longer and the chorus gets a bit repetitive. Good car jam though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuW9SRR_UEI

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Killingyouguy! posted:

AND THE BIRD, WAS I

poo poo!!! now I gotta listen to this

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

well, I'm listening to it now for the first time and yeah this is fun stuff

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Malaria posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLFZmu3keEk

New Dying Fetus song.

It rules. Especially the last minute of it.

i love how they do a variation of the exact same riff at the end of so many of their songs, and it absolutely crushes every time

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
A Tiktok video tipped me off on this weird obscure band that has cool groovy blackened riffs and Schuldiner-esque vocals. Anyway enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErRHzl2vvQM

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

whoa hey this is good poo poo right here

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Deviser kick rear end. Unspeakable Cults and Transmission to Chaos are absolute classics of the Greek scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=400UIH05J3U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbjRCf0poXg

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Time 2 get back to work there Jari!!!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Killingyouguy! posted:

I've heard Time is the death, however I also have it on good authority that its also the healing, so who can say

Killingyouguy! posted:

AND THE BIRD, WAS I

now that I've listened to the song on repeat a bunch, these two posts are making me laugh a lot

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 12, 2023

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

silvergoose posted:

now that I've listened to the song on repeat a bunch, these two posts are making me laugh a lot

you should listen to the rest of the album too

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Killingyouguy! posted:

you should listen to the rest of the album too

I'm sure I should.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Sleeping Stars from that album is one of my all-time faves. I used to sing it to my baby every night. My sweet baby (who as you may recall is named after a nightwish song) is 2 now!! Hard to believe.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

okay I just spun death and the healing up for the 7 and 4 year olds and they both immediately started nodding along to the opening riff, power metal is the best :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

silvergoose posted:

okay I just spun death and the healing up for the 7 and 4 year olds and they both immediately started nodding along to the opening riff, power metal is the best :3:

Hell yeah dude

That riff was my ringtone on one of my first cellphones and I still jump a little at it lmao