Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

These are the only good official Tetris options:

- Tetris Effect, but only because it’s the only modern official release with original NES Tetris rule set

- Tetris Grandmaster

- Tetris 99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Once you're used to playing Tetris Effect in VR while bent out of your gourd it's hard to go back to the Gameboy

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Actually, the best robot is the Shiva twins from FFXIII, because they're also a bike, and they let you ride them. Furthermore,

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

giogadi posted:

These are the only good official Tetris options:

- Tetris Effect, but only because it’s the only modern official release with original NES Tetris rule set

- Tetris Grandmaster

- Tetris 99

You forgot the ti graphing calculator assembly port you played during school.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

You forgot the ti graphing calculator assembly port you played during school.

I was too busy playing Drug Wars

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Videogames need more of those sequences where you're just falling for 5 minutes barely avoiding platforms with spikes which instantly kill you that you don't even have time to see. Why did those go away?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nice Van My Man posted:

Videogames need more of those sequences where you're just falling for 5 minutes barely avoiding platforms with spikes which instantly kill you that you don't even have time to see. Why did those go away?

After Battletoads perfected it, everyone decided there was no point in going on.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Nice Van My Man posted:

Let me tell you about fromsoft.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Cuz soulsborne games are literally the same thing as Battletoads. Many situation you have no chance until you have failed because you don't know what is coming. You only progress after rote memorization. Repeat.

It was a big complaint about Battletoads yet people praise it with fromsoft. Souls fans are the worst.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Cuz soulsborne games are literally the same thing as Battletoads. Many situation you have no chance until you have failed because you don't know what is coming. You only progress after rote memorization. Repeat.

It was a big complaint about Battletoads yet people praise it with fromsoft. Souls fans are the worst.

Soulsborne games don't require rote memorization

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Soulsborne games reward (more like don't punish, but close enough) you for getting back to the bullshit you got blindsided by on the next try.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 10, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Waltzing Along posted:

I like how you come in every few pages to embarrass yourself. It's a good bit.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Look at this guy who didn't know to level vigor or vitality or whatever they're calling health now.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Issaries posted:

There's a slight diff between:

VS

"old japanese games are better because they didn't have the hardware power to go full anime" argument wins yet again

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I get that everyone had their own opinions but if you think Dark Souls is actually a bad game then I am just not going to take any of your other videogame opinions seriously.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Sekiro is better than Dark Souls

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

In fact, when I play Souls games, including Elden Ring, I'm like "that was aight" but Sekiro rules insanely

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
dark souls is a bad game because of titanite upgrade system :colbert:
exploring all the dark corners in dungeons for loot would be way more rewarding if you could then actually take the weapon you looted and use it to squash some skeletons (assuming it's appropriate for your build)
but weapon upgrades being so essential and relatively expensive means that in every souls game you end up married to a handful of weapons each playthrough
they would be improved if weapon upgrades were just removed entirely, like they removed armor upgrades in the later ones

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the upgrade system is way worse in some of the games that ape it like remnant from the ashes though

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Fur20 posted:

"old japanese games are better because they didn't have the hardware power to go full anime" argument wins yet again

Cant actually argue with this

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

fridge corn posted:

Cant actually argue with this

Yeah it's p much 100% correct and was what I was getting at with FF7R earlier in da thread

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

That being said DQ11 rules, haters will be shot on sight

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

dark souls is a bad game because of titanite upgrade system :colbert:
exploring all the dark corners in dungeons for loot would be way more rewarding if you could then actually take the weapon you looted and use it to squash some skeletons (assuming it's appropriate for your build)
but weapon upgrades being so essential and relatively expensive means that in every souls game you end up married to a handful of weapons each playthrough
they would be improved if weapon upgrades were just removed entirely, like they removed armor upgrades in the later ones

I played with like 5 different weapons in Elden Ring and never had a problem finding upgrade materials because A) they were always in well-marked locations on the map and B) later you can just buy them

e: Let me recant that slightly, the game does not say "HEY THERE'S UPGRADE MATS HERE". Caves are marked, the caves are where the upgrade materials are, and you're expected to put that together on your own

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 10, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

QuarkJets posted:

I played with like 5 different weapons in Elden Ring and never had a problem finding upgrade materials because A) they were always in well-marked locations on the map and B) later you can just buy them

yeah exactly you played with like 5 weapons
but you found like 200

the point is it discourages experimentation and trying out new weapons you pick up even if for just half a dungeon

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

yeah exactly you played with like 5 weapons
but you found like 200

the point is it discourages experimentation and trying out new weapons you pick up even if for just half a dungeon

180 of those wouldn't be appropriate for whatever build I was using. I tried out everything else I found because you don't need full upgrades to try out a new weapon on some enemies and figure out whether you like the moveset.

The franchise is known for encouraging you to try out new weapons, I think this is a personal issue you're having

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Most of the weapons in Elden Ring really are just rat's rear end nonsense, the Souls games really do have a preoccupation with giving you a lot of false "choices" which are often just a sink of resources before you realize the weapon in question just blows poo poo.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
yeah and that sucks
the gimmick weapons that aren't worth the resources because their moveset is bad or gimmicky or w/e would be way better if you could just use them anyway without the commitment and then go back to your plain ol' simple-but-effective longsword once you decide the gimmicks are too much for you

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Using the gimmick weapons in Souls games is how you demonstrate that you are truly a man.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
The last time I played Metal Gear Solid 3 was on my ancient Playstation 2. Gotta say, replaying it on my XBone is a much, much better experience.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

tango alpha delta posted:

The last time I played Metal Gear Solid 3 was on my ancient Playstation 2. Gotta say, replaying it on my XBone is a much, much better experience.

How do they handle the controls on the non Playstation version, there's a bunch of stuff that was based off of the pressure sensitive buttons on ps2/3 controllers

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

In Elden Ring I used a rusty ship anchor for a long time, it was an excellent weapon. Its gimmick was that it was a greataxe that did piercing damage instead of slashing damage and I could pretend to be a salty dog

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
The best robot in a videogame is Dog from Half-Life 2

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

The "make everything viable" is the ubisoft crowd. Make fun of them.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i shot the dragon from under the bridge with arrows until I got the drake sword in DS1 and I'd do it again

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

How do they handle the controls on the non Playstation version, there's a bunch of stuff that was based off of the pressure sensitive buttons on ps2/3 controllers

I think the XBone version uses long presses when Snake picks up and interrogates soldiers.

e: I just realized I have MGS3 for my 3DSXL as well. I'll check the button presses for that version too.

e: There are a couple of ways to beat The End.

1. You can wait an entire day in the real world before playing MGS3 again so that The End dies in game of old age.
2. if you want to fight him, use the heat vision goggles to find him and then use the tranq gun with the laser sight. Remember that the right button is for your first person view and the left button zooms in while you are holding down the fire button.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 10, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i shot the dragon from under the bridge with arrows until I got the drake sword in DS1 and I'd do it again

Bought 99 arrows but the bitch ain't run?

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AchingAnyIaerismetalmark-mobile.mp4

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Souls games are physical manifestations of how games should be to the rose-tinted gamer looking back at hard NES game experiences.

I think we can close this thread now.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Ritz On Toppa Ritz posted:

Souls games are physical manifestations of how games should be to the rose-tinted gamer looking back at hard NES game experiences.

Nah they're the good kind of ARPGs that's why they're popular

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ritz On Toppa Ritz posted:

lol, if you think the Souls games are hard, don't play Nioh or Nioh 2 unless you want your head to explode with frustration.

e: i think I died ten or fifteen times just getting out my cell at the very start of Nioh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Vic posted:

Nah they're the good kind of ARPGs that's why they're popular

For real, what a poo poo genre