Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm still shocked at how big that patch is but at least it blends in with the uniform better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I will never purchase Occidental Energy.

AP has an interview with Manfred about taking over local broadcast rights from sinclair, but he also drops some tidbits

I guess it makes sense the players like it, I don't like having to work late either

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 10, 2023

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Manfred claiming to know anything about players should be taken with like a billion grains of salt

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

e: I guess Bregman and Altuve both only have two years left on their deals

Correct
https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1624075865926561792

Also Kyle Tucker lost his arb hearing and will be paid $5m this year. I think he was seeking $5.5, dunno why the club didn't eat that paltry amount to encourage Good Feelings

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Kyle Tucker was looking for 7.5 mil, which is still well below his actual value. Not sure why the Stros would mess around with him, he’s a key piece if they’re going to extend the window.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I'm sure the Astros and Braves had very good, logical reasons for not paying Tucker and Fried a small amount of money more and this will not result in them leaving via FA

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/AJCassavell/status/1623738933027737607

Words cannot describe my distaste of Tom Ricketts.

I'd happily live in San Diego for a lot less.

The climate is perfect. The beer scene is great. You can surf any time (I mean, I'm not any good, but I'd surf all the loving time, any way, if I lived there). From what I understand, until the last few years there had been no major climate or fire events in decades. It's just really loving expensive.

Your NL and inter-league division rivals (Rangers aside) all live in pretty cool places, too.
Who gives a poo poo if your baseball team is good?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

I'm sure the Astros and Braves had very good, logical reasons for not paying Tucker and Fried a small amount of money more and this will not result in them leaving via FA

APPARENTLY it's because they're about to sign him to an extension but we shall see

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
I'll be in Phoenix March 9-12 for spring training and realized today the World Baseball Classic will be playing games there - so now we've got tix to see Team USA play Great Britain at Chase Field on Saturday March 11.

I've honestly never paid much attention to the WBC - do the starters typically play the whole game? They're playing a Round 1 game against the Great Britain team so I expect it to get out of hand pretty quickly but it'll be fun to see a game at Spring Training that "counts".

Do players assigned to the WBC typically play spring training games too or do they stay with the team until the tournament is over? We're seeing Dodgers/Giants on Saturday so it's safe to assume Mookie isn't going to play that game and the WBC that night.

Exodor fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 10, 2023

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Spoeank posted:

On today's Effectively Wild they interview Joe West who confirms he did in fact do the Wikipedia edits

Defector has a fantastic summary on the whole ordeal:

https://defector.com/joe-west-spending-his-retirement-going-to-war-with-wikipedia-editors

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/mike_petriello/status/1624090465019600896

lmao

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

They activate Nick Punto and it freaks out and Ritsuko has to destroy it.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Exodor posted:

I've honestly never paid much attention to the WBC - do the starters typically play the whole game? They're playing a Round 1 game against the Great Britain team so I expect it to get out of hand pretty quickly but it'll be fun to see a game at Spring Training that "counts".

Do players assigned to the WBC typically play spring training games too or do they stay with the team until the tournament is over? We're seeing Dodgers/Giants on Saturday so it's safe to assume Mookie isn't going to play that game and the WBC that night.

Batters will generally play normally, there's pitch count limits on the pitchers that ramp up as the tournament gets further along and top out at 95 pitches for the final round. The players are with their national team and not at spring training with their professional club.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

zoux posted:

I guess it makes sense the players like it, I don't like having to work late either
It's really just so loving stupid it's hard for me to put it into words

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
MLB deleted this tweet because they used a picture of Jorge Mateo instead of Cedric Mullins

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

tadashi posted:

The climate is perfect. The beer scene is great. You can surf any time (I mean, I'm not any good, but I'd surf all the loving time, any way, if I lived there). From what I understand, until the last few years there had been no major climate or fire events in decades. It's just really loving expensive.

Your NL and inter-league division rivals (Rangers aside) all live in pretty cool places, too.

It's called "The Discount." The 00s playoff run was built on vets taking it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It is insane to me the leap that Javier made last year. Imagine your middlest reliever all of a sudden becoming an unhittable staff ace. He had 18 IP in Yankee Stadium and gave up one hit.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spoeank posted:

On today's Effectively Wild they interview Joe West who confirms he did in fact do the Wikipedia edits
The best part is Ben trying to explain to Joe what Wikipedia's policy is on edits and citations, informing him that the phone call they are having at that very moment and publishing as a podcast can itself be used as a source for this info Joe is very concerned about correcting. Joe doesn't seem to get it at all and just interrupts him to keep telling his stories.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

zoux posted:

I will never purchase Occidental Energy.

AP has an interview with Manfred about taking over local broadcast rights from sinclair, but he also drops some tidbits

Steve Cohen going to get kicked out by the owners :lol:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

bawfuls posted:

The best part is Ben trying to explain to Joe what Wikipedia's policy is on edits and citations, informing him that the phone call they are having at that very moment and publishing as a podcast can itself be used as a source for this info Joe is very concerned about correcting. Joe doesn't seem to get it at all and just interrupts him to keep telling his stories.
See, you're posting under the possibility that Joe West gives one single poo poo about what Wikipedia's policies are about anything.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

General Bullshit posted:

Steve Cohen going to get kicked out by the owners :lol:

"Listen pal, do you know what a cartel is"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1624138982240952325

Sure why not. Kinda funny that we're picking him up now as a bullpen flier when years ago I remember rumors about the Cubs seriously trying to trade for him as a front of the rotation piece before pivoting to Quintana.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Crazy Ted posted:

See, you're posting under the possibility that Joe West gives one single poo poo about what Wikipedia's policies are about anything.

Joe West sued and got half a million (plus interest) from a lawsuit against Paul Lo Duca, so maybe he feels like he can get something from anyone.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
He spent decades in a position where he could impose his authority however he wanted and no one could do anything about it so retirement is especially hard on him

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/WBCBaseball/status/1623846782055636994

I'm not sure which surprises me more - that the UK has a WBC team, or that Vance Worley is playing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There are a lot of names of players on these rosters that I haven’t heard from in at least a decade

ie. Shairon Martis, Jair Jurrjens

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Red posted:

https://twitter.com/WBCBaseball/status/1623846782055636994

I'm not sure which surprises me more - that the UK has a WBC team, or that Vance Worley is playing.

tbh the UK scene has come a long way from the days where the best team around was a group of random US servicemen from an airbase

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

tadashi posted:

San Diego is indeed an excellent place to live if you have a shitload of money.

I was about to refute your point about natural disasters because there's was a horrible fire that turned the sky black for several days when I lived there, but I'm now realizing that was 20 years ago :negative:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1624138982240952325

Sure why not. Kinda funny that we're picking him up now as a bullpen flier when years ago I remember rumors about the Cubs seriously trying to trade for him as a front of the rotation piece before pivoting to Quintana.

They really were cursed in terms of pitching, at that point, weren't they?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Julio Cruz posted:

tbh the UK scene has come a long way from the days where the best team around was a group of random US servicemen from an airbase

Does that count for the WBC? Edwin Jackson was born in a base in Germany…

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
drat - I love new Braves GM - he just gave Cristian Javier a 5 year extension.

Go stros.

https://twitter.com/astros/status/1624180256218152960

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

64 mil/5 years +$2m signing bonus

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Random dumb offseason thought:

Someone posted elsewhere on social media about the longest last names in MLB history and how cool it is to see names curve all the way around the back of a jersey, and it has me thinking that it's a drat shame baseball isn't a big sport in Thailand.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sab0921 posted:

drat - I love new Braves GM - he just gave Cristian Javier a 5 year extension.

Go stros.

https://twitter.com/astros/status/1624180256218152960

Hell yeah already working his magic

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

zoux posted:

64 mil/5 years +$2m signing bonus
64 million with a signing bonus of two seems odd to me.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Crazy Ted posted:

64 million with a signing bonus of two seems odd to me.

He gets the signing bonus immediately; could be he wanted to help his family out or something?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah dude was on a 1.5m deal and was getting $750k annually yesterday

https://twitter.com/astros/status/1624182343576522752

Also maybe he wanted a little something nice for himself. It's funny his nickname is El Reptil because every time I see him off the mound he's got that grin on his face.

zoux fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 11, 2023

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, getting that up front pay is probably real nice.

Getting that first 10m is such an overwhelming change in overall wealth compared to going from 10m in career earnings to 100m. I can see why signing away a few free agent years makes sense to so many players - even Ozzie Albies and his kids will be set for life despite how underpaid he is under that extension.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
https://twitter.com/CBSBrenton/status/1622395548673216512?s=20

A PIRATE'S LIFE FOR MEEEEEE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

zoux posted:

Yeah dude was on a 1.5m deal and was getting $750k annually yesterday

https://twitter.com/astros/status/1624182343576522752

Also maybe he wanted a little something nice for himself. It's funny his nickname is El Reptil because every time I see him off the mound he's got that grin on his face.

Now do Framber

Suspect it's a handshake deal with the Pirates, he rescinds his request and they trade him because it raises his price to no longer have the request hanging over him