Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

gbut posted:

Both wife and I got rebound covid after a paxlovid regimen that had us test negative for a few days. Kiddo didn't have paxlovid and is now fine, post infection.
We are both bivalent boosted, kiddo had only the 3-shot initial vaccine.

Are there similar experiences out there? CDC and other sources claim anywhere from 1% to 25% rebound rate, and claims are that it's paxlovid-irrelevant.

Yes, exact same thing happened to my wife and I. Everyone got Covid first, then wife and I got the sequel after we had done paxolovid. And here I thought we were lucky to get the drugs to recover faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Tamper resistant outlets started being required in the US by code in 2008. But that doesn't mean people always follow that. Also, nobody's going around their pre-2008 home swapping all their outlets out. They annoy me, but they do their job pretty effectively.

If they're like the ones shown here, https://www.esfi.org/what-is-a-tamper-resistant-receptacle/, they prevent insertion unless both prongs are inserted at the same time, which is an improvement. But what the receptacles themselves lack is the recessed design of Euro receptacles:

It makes it a lot harder to "forward" the live prong into yourself while inserting them. Say a kid sticks something between the prongs of the plug while inserting it. A US kid could still get electrocuted if it contacts the live prong, while a Euro kid will not be able to insert the plug.

His Divine Shadow posted:

eh, I survived more than one 230v shock as a kid I once showed a fork into a outlet at my grandmas.

Also JFBs are common now.

So you lucked out. Many kids died from the same "experiment".

JFBs are good, yes. For those Americans reading the thread, that's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device.
They are mandatory for new construction in Sweden but in my opinion they should be retrofitted in every residence. Saved me from a nasty shock, once, when replacing a bulb that was broken, and makes me a lot more confident about not having outlet covers all around the apartment.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

If they're like the ones shown here, https://www.esfi.org/what-is-a-tamper-resistant-receptacle/, they prevent insertion unless both prongs are inserted at the same time, which is an improvement.
Yeah I agree. Tamper-resistant receptacles are a bad solution to a non-problem. They're a bad solution because builder-grade receptacles (what actually gets installed in new construction) are super finicky and no better than socket covers. The real danger comers from kids inserting their finger into a partially-inserted lamp plug, not bare receptacles.

Fortunately electrocution is rare? I assume? I've shocked myself plenty--even as a child--from mishandling plugs.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

They are mandatory for new construction in Sweden but in my opinion they should be retrofitted in every residence. Saved me from a nasty shock, once, when replacing a bulb that was broken, and makes me a lot more confident about not having outlet covers all around the apartment.
GFCI receptacles are also problematic--they can be very trip sensitive. You do not want to lose an entire basement freezer of breast milk because the freezer was--unknowingly--plugged into the same circuit as a garage GFCI that trips when it rains.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Do any of you have tips for like the first month after you bring home your 2nd child? Our 2nd is due the first week of April and our first will be 2 years old. I'm just worried about how the first kid is going to handle everything. Not neccessarily about baby jealousy stuff, though that may be there, but more about things like having to have daddy take more care of her than mommy usually does and getting her to deal with that. I am trying to do more stuff with her, like weekly swim lessons that are just the two of us, now in hopes that it will help when the baby comes but I have no idea how its going to actually go down.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
All parenting advice in this thread is solicitated, so never be afraid to :justpost:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

nesbit37 posted:

Do any of you have tips for like the first month after you bring home your 2nd child? Our 2nd is due the first week of April and our first will be 2 years old. I'm just worried about how the first kid is going to handle everything. Not neccessarily about baby jealousy stuff, though that may be there, but more about things like having to have daddy take more care of her than mommy usually does and getting her to deal with that. I am trying to do more stuff with her, like weekly swim lessons that are just the two of us, now in hopes that it will help when the baby comes but I have no idea how its going to actually go down.

My 2nd was born like 3 weeks ago so I am exactly at where you are describing. My older 2yo child was waaaaay cooler about the big life change than anybody else in the house. You got good mindset about it, your daughter will probably be fine. But yes, there is absolutely no predicting the reaction, at all, only way to know is some Oracle of Delphi divination.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Turn around from a work call, see baby covered in blood dripping from her mouth onto her dress.

Rush over terrified even though baby not screaming

Almost slip when I step on a cherry.

Wait, a cherry? Phew, baby is alright!

Wait, where did the baby get a cherry :eek:

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

nesbit37 posted:

We have a four year old and a two year old. I would say make sure you still have times where mom can give her some one-on-one time. Emphasize it in terms she can understand like taking turns, and acknowledge her feelings, something like "Mommy and I take turns doing X, and right now it's my turn. I know it's hard when you want mommy and she's not available. It's OK to be disappointed. It will be her turn next time."

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
In the last 45 days my household has endured colds, covid, norovirus, and maybe a UTI. I am ready for 2023 to soften up a little bit please. :negative:

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

wizzardstaff posted:

In the last 45 days my household has endured colds, covid, norovirus, and maybe a UTI. I am ready for 2023 to soften up a little bit please. :negative:

Sure! Diarhhea it is

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

nesbit37 posted:

In my experience, my older kid was absolutely in love, gentle, and curious about her new baby brother… for like two weeks. Then there was a jealousy phase that lasted a few months, and then once the baby could do more stuff like sit up, interact, giggle, then things were easier. Now (almost 4 and 1.5) they love each other so much, and I feel like we are out of the absolute most difficult period of adjustment.

Dividing my attention between the two kids was extremely challenging since babies need absolutely everything all the time, and I will admit that I did get frustrated with my then-two year old more easily because I was so sleep deprived and stressed, but I made sure to really emphasize one on one time with my toddler during the baby’s nap times. Honestly, the most challenging and stressful part was trying to do the day to day things, like cooking and cleaning, with two little humans who needed attention literally all the time. If you’ve got a supportive relationship with your partner, make sure you communicate about everything, and try to stay on top of helping with things around the house as much as possible during the first few weeks. As far as the actual kids, they are all so different so you just have to take it day by day or minute by minute sometimes, and trust your gut when it comes to your parenting decisions.

All that being said, just know going from one kid to two is exponentially harder that going from zero to one, but the first few months of difficulty are only temporary. There are going to be really beautiful moments that will make your heart explode, but for the most part it’s exhausting. But only temporary!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Glad to hear that its all temporary. I guess that was expected. Still will be interesting to see what happens. We're also starting potty training next week, which seems too close to the birth to me but my wife is Gung ho for it. I just hope that doesn't cause some kind of baby protest regression!

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Be prepared for potty training regressions once baby is here. It’ll happen. Don’t push it or make a big deal about it and it’ll go away way faster. Potty training regressions are super common when a big stressor (like a new baby) or routine change (also a new baby) come into action for a toddler.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Is there a reason the baby can't sleep in the car seat all night? Is it bad for her back or something? She screamed so much last night but now she's sleeping comfortably in her car seat.

And thank you Renegret (and everyone) for the welcome :)

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
The more inclined they are, the more likely they are to potentially asphyxiate themselves if their head falls forward. We only let ours sleep in bouncers/car seats/etc if someone is watching them.

If your baby wants to sleep at an incline and/or has gastro issues and you are using a bassinet that supports this, you can prop up the legs on the head side a few inches to give them a slight incline. Stopped ours from grunting all the time during sleep. I really wish we had had the bassinet setup like the one at the hospital though.

Giant Metal Robot fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 10, 2023

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Giant Metal Robot posted:

The more inclined they are, the more likely they are to potentially asphyxiate themselves if their head falls forward. We only let ours sleep in bouncers/car seats/etc if someone is watching them.

Ah gotcha. Well I'm right here so it's good for now.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

It makes it a lot harder to "forward" the live prong into yourself while inserting them. Say a kid sticks something between the prongs of the plug while inserting it. A US kid could still get electrocuted if it contacts the live prong, while a Euro kid will not be able to insert the plug.

That's a good point that I hadn't considered. We had outlet covers on our more accessible tamper-resistant receptacles when the kids were younger as a double precaution. But I've removed most of them at this point since they're older and more responsible. I've really emphasized electric safety as they've grown up, since I had an incident in high school due to a lack of caution / knowledge.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

WrenP-Complete posted:

Ah gotcha. Well I'm right here so it's good for now.

Also long-term they can get a flat head. I know this because a friend of mine had her baby sleep there all the time because he screamed elsewhere and that kid’s head is super flat.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Things said when you’re hanging out with a four year old

“Please stop coughing on my butt”

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

CherryCola posted:

Things said when you’re hanging out with a four year old

“Please stop coughing on my butt”

To be fair, why are you coughing on their butt?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Why do grandparents insist on getting so many presents for their grandkids? Ugh so much crap and not enough room.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

captkirk posted:

To be fair, why are you coughing on their butt?

I dunno, but I’m trying to get him to cough into his elbow which he has taken as an indicator that coughing on people and things is hilarious and cool.

I may have given him the cold I had last weekend though, so I guess I deserve this…

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

“Pleas stop kicking me in the testicles”
*kicks harder, smiles*
You lose cuddling with dad privileges, please go sit somewhere else.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Me: please stop hitting your face into my butt it's weird

Also me: Stops short whenever my kid's following me so he accidentally faceplants into my butt

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I was patting my kid's butt while she was walking up the stairs for bed and she stopped and said "don't pat my butt! pat your butt. Your butt's on your butt. I'm not a butt"

want to be clear that's a 100% accurate transcription there apparently a butt mood is upon us.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

My toddler raspberried raw broccoli florets out of his mouth today and it was extremely earnest and goofy.

It’s so hard to keep from laughing at some of this stuff, and the only way I can hold it together is that I know I need to avoid it Becoming A Thing.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Breastfeeding is hard.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

WrenP-Complete posted:

Breastfeeding is hard.

Yup. Sure is. Don’t feel bad if you can’t/don’t want to keep it up. My little one couldn’t latch properly because of a tongue tie, so I just pumped for the first few months and supplemented with formula. Do whatever works best for you. Fed is best!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Benagain posted:

I was patting my kid's butt while she was walking up the stairs for bed and she stopped and said "don't pat my butt! pat your butt. Your butt's on your butt. I'm not a butt"

want to be clear that's a 100% accurate transcription there apparently a butt mood is upon us.

Our daughter told me the other day that I have a butt on my face and poop in the toilet with my buttface and had poop on my face. I told her that everyone say she looks like me so therefore she has a butt on her face.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

WrenP-Complete posted:

Breastfeeding is hard.

It’s absolutely baffling that the human species made it to 8 billion if this is how we feed our young. I can’t imagine the caveman days.

My toddler turned his stew and pepper and bread into a “truck” today. This was simply a mushy pile of food pushed across the table. I thought he was building his own Italian beef type sandwich but no. After he gave up and tossed it all to the ground he was rewarded with a Rice Krispie treat for dessert. That was deemed “a bus” and pushed around happily beeping in stew juices. He did eat most of that before inevitable hurling it a wall or floor.

Currently awake at midnight for some reason!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

calandryll posted:

Our daughter told me the other day that I have a butt on my face and poop in the toilet with my buttface and had poop on my face. I told her that everyone say she looks like me so therefore she has a butt on her face.

Owned

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

space uncle posted:

My toddler turned his stew and pepper and bread into a “truck” today. This was simply a mushy pile of food pushed across the table. I thought he was building his own Italian beef type sandwich but no. After he gave up and tossed it all to the ground he was rewarded with a Rice Krispie treat for dessert. That was deemed “a bus” and pushed around happily beeping in stew juices. He did eat most of that before inevitable hurling it a wall or floor.

I was going to ask the thread for suggestions in stopping my 13m old from throwing food on the floor but I'm increasingly sure it's an impossibility

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

SixFigureSandwich posted:

I was going to ask the thread for suggestions in stopping my 13m old from throwing food on the floor but I'm increasingly sure it's an impossibility

Our toddler plates have suction cups which give you approximately 1.3 extra seconds to stop him from upending the whole plate.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

With proper attention to the problem and discipline you can fix this in as little as 3 or 4 years

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Get a dog

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Renegret posted:

Get a dog

Once again I am so sad my dog died right when I got pregnant.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Renegret posted:

Get a dog

Boy did mine get fat when my kids were little.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it

Cais posted:

Our toddler plates have suction cups which give you approximately 1.3 extra seconds to stop him from upending the whole plate.

In addition to the suction cup plates, we also try to ask our toddler to put the food she doesn't want on her "no thank you" plate instead of on the floor or on the table. As you might expect it doesn't work all the time but I do think it's helping.

Speaking of toddlers and butts, I heard toddler butt-scooting down the stairs and singing to the tune of Wheels on the Bus, "the butts on the butts go butt-butt-butt, aaalll through the toooown"

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
It’s butts n’ poop around the clock here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Yeah ours was a combination of “trash corner” on the tray, taking things away when she was throwing them, and time. We got a cheap plastic picnic-table style tablecloth that we put under her chair to make cleanup easier. But she was a dropper, not a thrower.