Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
"People would like to grind their number up" is really one of the all time worst ideas and it's wild it lasted all this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rick posted:

"People would like to grind their number up" is really one of the all time worst ideas and it's wild it lasted all this time.

It's unfortunately true though. Most players just want to watch the numbers go up and don't care about much else.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

....yeah but I don't want those numbers taken away after an arbitrary amount of time. I was diamond 1, nearly my first time in masters as a support and now I'm down to plat.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

:thunk:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

When she puts her arm out, it acts like a shield :v:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
The recent players used to say what hero they were playing as. Its gone. What a dumb change.

edit
I think I didn't get a single junkrat ult off today, every one got Suzued :smith:

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 10, 2023

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
I wouldn't mind the de-rank so much if the matchmaker put me in the same rank lobbies. But if I'm outwardly silver 1 in internally gold 1 lobbies I'm still going 50-50 so the climb is arduous at best.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Aexo posted:

I wouldn't mind the de-rank so much if the matchmaker put me in the same rank lobbies. But if I'm outwardly silver 1 in internally gold 1 lobbies I'm still going 50-50 so the climb is arduous at best.

I'm not sure if that's how it works. I think it still ranks you up to there with a 50/50 win rate.

It is still a terrible system though. Is this really placating anyone that was hard stuck and wants to watch their number go up?

If anything those people complain about 'the grind' and fool themselves into thinking they are climbing or would climb if it weren't for those dang teammates and the matchmaker being rigged against them. Forcing a grind isn't going to help.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

headcase posted:

I'm not sure if that's how it works. I think it still ranks you up to there with a 50/50 win rate.

I went 5-2 the other night and stayed the same rank. I'm sure it factors in the skill of who it ended up matching you with, which if it's lower quality means you aren't going to improve in rating much at all.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

headcase posted:

It is still a terrible system though. Is this really placating anyone that was hard stuck and wants to watch their number go up?

If anything those people complain about 'the grind' and fool themselves into thinking they are climbing or would climb if it weren't for those dang teammates and the matchmaker being rigged against them. Forcing a grind isn't going to help.

They give 0 shits about how good the system at objectively placing people. They knew how to do that in season 1 and gave you a number between 1 and 100 to represent where you were on the bell curve. That got updated to the "metal" tiers we see now, but a lot of people would only play placement games to get their shiny medal and then peace out. The current ranking system is purely designed to increase engagement, but they half-assed the implementation and should've full on copied League of Legends.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm thinking they overtuned Wrecking Ball.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

finally wrecking ball is perfectly balanced.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

That mercy bee skin is awesome and it's too bad I'll never get it.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

That mercy bee skin is awesome and it's too bad I'll never get it.

Oh yeah totally me neither

Bzz bzz bzzzzzz

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Mercy will never get a better outfit than Devil Mercy

verbal enema posted:

i am loving Rammatra lately so much its such a breath of fresh air

now to understand when to do all my skills
the real trick with rama seems to be getting his slowing circle throw down pat, it's just such a weird arc

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

ball is in a good place. invincible and super mobile. we feel he is in a great place balance wise.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
the funny thing is he was already in the rise at the end of last season with the nerfs to hog and Orisa.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

toadee posted:

I went 5-2 the other night and stayed the same rank. I'm sure it factors in the skill of who it ended up matching you with, which if it's lower quality means you aren't going to improve in rating much at all.

But are you a full metal rank lower than your hidden mmr?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
lol at stopping the robot from the second story window

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1qKLe00COM

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

van fem posted:

but they half-assed the implementation and should've full on copied League of Legends.

For all the stuff you can criticise League for, this is one thing it does way better. Your rank is very transparent, ranking up and ranking down is very transparent. Sometimes it's frustrating, but you are rarely left confused why you are the rank you are.

And it's not even a perfect system, the points you gain or lose are dependent on a hidden system, but it's still way superior to overwatches "play some games and then go up, down or perhaps not move and no we won't reveal why"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
one of the revolutionary things blizz did with overwatch was to actually have two mmr systems judging players.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

several of her highlight intros are obsolete now too lol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Am I correct in that Bridget is near completely useless the opposing team has flankers?

I tried to play some Bridget recently to widen my array of support characters but I've been constantly faced against teams with 2 ranged DPS and a shield tank of some sort and I felt like there's absolutely nothing I could do to contribute.
Her whip shot is the only ability that does anything outside of melee range, and it doesn't do much besides activating her passive, and it does nothing if they have a shield tank.
At the same time she has no means of closing the distance because her own shield breaks instantly as soon as someone sneezes at it and she only has one mediocre movement ability, so she can't dive either.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 12, 2023

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

After playing a bit I've come to the conclusion Mercy's new critical healing is absolutely loving busted. It's impossible to finish off a low health target now and just makes pocketed DPS even worse to deal with, because you need Burst damage/pick heroes to be able to finish anything.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Making Support heroes an even more important target to prioritize is exactly what was needed to make Support role more appealing to play.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Jack Trades posted:

Am I correct in that Bridget is near completely useless the opposing team has flankers?
Bridget is just really weak right now even with her 300 shield, she just can't protect the DPS from flankers.

novaSphere posted:

After playing a bit I've come to the conclusion Mercy's new critical healing is absolutely loving busted. It's impossible to finish off a low health target now and just makes pocketed DPS even worse to deal with, because you need Burst damage/pick heroes to be able to finish anything.
Oh definitely, most tanks are nigh immortal with her buffed healing, orisa fights can go on forever, and your team is more likely to yell at you for being a bad Mercy when you do get focused down and killed, great job all around

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

one of the revolutionary things blizz did with overwatch was to actually have two mmr systems judging players.

Isn['t there also a quick play one?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Rick posted:

Isn['t there also a quick play one?

almost positive that one is just part of the overall backend mmr

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Considering that every time I jumped into arcade it'd throw me with a shitton of diamonds against full masters teams to average out the mmr, I'd say so.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

I tried to play some Bridget recently to widen my array of support characters but I've been constantly faced against teams with 2 ranged DPS and a shield tank of some sort and I felt like there's absolutely nothing I could do to contribute.
Her whip shot is the only ability that does anything outside of melee range, and it doesn't do much besides activating her passive, and it does nothing if they have a shield tank.
At the same time she has no means of closing the distance because her own shield breaks instantly as soon as someone sneezes at it and she only has one mediocre movement ability, so she can't dive either.

I actually think brig mains are climbing since the last patch. Stopping ball and doom's momentum is really useful.

I've played with some good brigs lately. I'd say she is about 2 things: applying careful pressure, and moving or splitting the enemy team. Basically, you are trying to stay out of range of tanks, take weird (but safe) angles to make people react, move people with your 2 knockbacks. You're pressure will make their team do something dumb.

The thing about snipers is that her shield works really well against them for repositioning. You can be healing people from a safe position and ranged heros will never get you because you can shield up or bash away to somewhere safe. If you are against 2 snipers, and stay away from the tank, what is going to kill you? Then there are times when you can safely get agro and ruin people's day because they didn't respect your ability to get on top of them.

For me, the patience is too hard. Yeah if you drop shield in the open and flail about because you think your value comes from hitting the front line, you will die in a hurry. Brig can work, but you have to be really aware of a lot of factors.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

headcase posted:

The thing about snipers is that her shield works really well against them for repositioning. You can be healing people from a safe position and ranged heros will never get you because you can shield up or bash away to somewhere safe. If you are against 2 snipers, and stay away from the tank, what is going to kill you? Then there are times when you can safely get agro and ruin people's day because they didn't respect your ability to get on top of them.

Sure, she can be safe but unless she's in melee range the only thing she can do is apply a pathetic single-target 20hps with her E and that's it.
That's my main issue with her.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

F.D. Signifier posted:

Bridget is just really weak right now even with her 300 shield, she just can't protect the DPS from flankers.
brig actually shines if the enemy team has flankers! flankers hate getting smacked with the flail and their target getting burst healed. someone was able to get #3 as brig last season in the more dive meta asia servers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORJ__3EVA9U

if it's just two teams long range poking idk what youre even supposed to do as brig. in theory i guess you can shield teammates to get extra value and scout widows.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I've been doing pretty well with brig in diamond. She's surprisingly good at robot maps because its all flanks all the time. She good at duels because there are plenty she can win and her shield lets her decline the ones she can't.

Her role in group fights is basically as a mini tank to keep the enemy tank away from your team. Most team fights these days turn into 3v2 battles where the tank and one support push into the enemy team as a duo (or solo tank) and your job as brig is to keep the 600hp monster away from your team long enough for the DPS to either kill it or force it to retreat or for your own tank to win his fight.

I think the problem people are having is playing brig the old way, stapling yourself to the tank and charging the enemy team as a full group of 6. And that's not how the game is played anymore. Death ball comps aren't meta, and you're going to to have a hard time actually reaching anyone other than the enemy tank.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

one thing to be mindful of as a low heal output support on ladder games is how much healing support your tank needs. if it's a tank that needs heavy babysitting like a reinhardt, brig/lucio is absolutely not going to cut it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I warmed up on Brig a bit but you can get shut down on her pretty severely. I still wish her shift either came back quicker or gave more heal than her regular rally.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's cool that they made such a specialized character with Brig but it definitely points to their "we want people to switch characters a lot" attitude compared to the playerbase's "I want to play the character who has the coolest gun/prettiest face/funniest voiceline to spam"

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I personally prefer playing the metagame and rock/paper/scissors than any other aspect. I wish we still had more counterpick tools on support.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Countblanc posted:

It's cool that they made such a specialized character with Brig but it definitely points to their "we want people to switch characters a lot" attitude compared to the playerbase's "I want to play the character who has the coolest gun/prettiest face/funniest voiceline to spam"

headcase posted:

I personally prefer playing the metagame and rock/paper/scissors than any other aspect. I wish we still had more counterpick tools on support.

They specifically mentioned in a blog post right before OW2 release that they don't want the game to have counters anymore.

I mean...they haven't done anything about it, but that's what they said they wanted to do.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
And then they made Kiriko who counters everything with her suzu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Something needs to counter bionic grenade. If they removed the later the former wouldn't be needed.